Abel to Yzerman

Methinks Myopia Might Not Fit In This Case

First A-number 1 rule of hockey blogging: By god, do NOT and I mean no matter the circumstances, do NOT publish an opinion contrary to the almighty search engine.  Greg Wyshynski wants Mike Commodore to wear #64 because it would be funny. I think the idea should go away because it’s stupid and circus-like. The Detroit Red Wings are not a barnyard act begging for attention like Wysh’s lap dog, Ryan Lambert.

I said as much last Friday and oh didn’t Greg and his lemmings get butt hurt.

@Wyshynski

The Chief herds his A2Y sheep against Mike Commodore 64. Guessing b/c it’s not idea born of DET fans. Silly, expected

A standard ploy from Greg when he feels like you and I, or just me really, aren’t playing along or playing nicely.  When we disagree with his conspiracy barbs or when I point the finger at PD for employing blatant anti-Wing biased “writers”, out come blind follower references.  The only thing we all uniformly agree on here is that the Wings are the best franchise baby Jesus ever invented.  If anyone thinks the 19 are “sheep”, I’d recommend taking a gander at the thousands of posts where my opinions are shot down quite easily by people who’ve read this blog for more than five years.

So that was Greg’s high and mighty 40 word effort at martyrdom, his cyber-shake of the head and resigned, disappointed smile.  His next step came this morning over at Hockey’s Most Important Blog.

At Puck Daddy, Wyshynski pointed out that Paul Boyer says it’s ok. If Commodore wants to start his hopefully rejuvenated career in Detroit as a punchline, the number’s his. Greg also thanked those who have given some pub to the charity campaign, which has raised close to 7 grand so far.

And yes, thanks to The Chief at Abel To Yzerman for his coverage too, the myopic dissent that it was.

Myopic, eh?  Myopic dissent. Yes, I’m sure that fits our style real well.  Or would that be a faux interpretation, Greg?

We’re myopic because a few of us feel that using the Winged Wheel, one of the most traditional icons in all of sports, as a punchline is stupid?  And “dissenting”? Really? Dissenting from what?  Ahhhh, yes.  Back to the lead.  Anyone who disagrees with Puck Daddy is a “dissenter”.  Because if Yahoo says it, boy, it’s gotta be the truth.

And when Greg speaks, the real blogging elite follow.  Eh, Dirk?

On The Forecheck

Meanwhile, the slobbering mob acts like “Commodore 64” would be an affront to the dignity of the franchise. Methinks they take themselves a bit too seriously.

Slobbering mob.  Got it.  “Methinks”?  Well, I don’t typically speak in Shakespearise, especially from Hamlet, because I think it sounds “faux” and more than a little elitist, Dirk. But have at it.  And “they” is me. “Methinks” it was I who slammed this stupid Commodore 64 idea in the first place for the childish idiocy that it is, not necessarily the A2Y readers.  In fact, the great majority of them actually support the idea.  Not so much slobbering on this one, Dirk.

Yeah, we’ve spent some time on this subject. I know. So save your breath, or your fingers, if you’re going to spout off in disbelief that we’d dare devote such effort to it.

“Commodore 64” is ridiculous. Charity isn’t. If this thing goes down, Commodore will look like a clown but at least money will go to the right place.  So I’m good with that.  What I’m hoping will happen is that Commodore elects not to look like an idiot, that the Wings double whatever amount Wyshynski raises and pledges it as a show of good will when they decide that the Wing sweater is no place for a nifty play on words.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

It has not.  The horse in your avatar is neither dead nor beaten.

Posted by Robocop from Michigam on 07/11/11 at 05:15 PM ET

Oh yeah?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/11/11 at 06:27 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Is Rodney King a Hockey Fan? If so, will someone please send him here.

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/11/11 at 06:28 PM ET

Well done JJ.

Well done.

Posted by Robocop on 07/11/11 at 06:34 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Talk about missing the point… I find most of those funny, but this discussion is a little too much nonsense to me.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 07/11/11 at 08:02 PM ET

moocat's avatar

*Off topic for a sec*

Hey JJ, not sure why but I had some strange need to photoshop the horse in your avatar at center ice.

Feel free to use if you wish:

Posted by moocat on 07/11/11 at 08:29 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by moocat on 07/11/11 at 07:29 PM ET

Haha, excellent!

How could I say no to that?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/11/11 at 08:47 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

first of all, don’t call JJs picture a “horse” that is a god damn Foal. I love when Lambert gets all butt hurt by your comments chief. That guys pussy gets so itchy when you talk aboot him. Must keep this going, I mean you brought out like 10 trolls just so they could tell you to simmer down hahahahaha. This is getting too funny.

You’re reminding me why I left the USN - CPOs and Zeroes with God complexes and little-to-no senses of humor.

Posted by GMB from Over Here on 07/11/11 at 03:32 PM ET

We should still be able to behead deserters. Winterfell!

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 07/11/11 at 08:51 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

just wanted to stop by and make sure everyone is getting the hits on their blogs from this manufactured situation.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 07/11/11 at 11:49 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from the poopship. on 07/11/11 at 07:51 PM ET

Nice George R. R. Martin reference…

Posted by tkfergy on 07/11/11 at 11:53 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Charity for the Children’s Hospital?  We’re all for it, in fact we’re the ones who have raised $20,000 in the past 2 H2H events for that cause.

Charity as a cover to drum up web hits for a no talent hack?  No thanks.  Shameless.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/12/11 at 12:35 AM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Posted by tkfergy on 07/11/11 at 10:53 PM ET

My favorite author. RA Salvatore and Robert Ludlum can get me turning pages as well. But GRRM crushes all who stand before him.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 07/12/11 at 03:16 AM ET

tkfergy's avatar

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from the poopship. on 07/12/11 at 02:16 AM ET

Can’t wait for my copy of A Dance With Dragons to come from Amazon….

Posted by tkfergy on 07/12/11 at 06:39 AM ET

Sorry, but this reminds of the drama between 15 year old girls.  So much drama, so few motives and reason.  Grow up wing fans, nobody really cares that much.  Although, I will agree in my dislike for Wysh in that he is too much of a New-jersey loving-oven-chicken fan boy!

Posted by gettingcozywithsarkozy from here and there on 07/12/11 at 10:25 AM ET

Posted by JWIMHB on 07/12/11 at 09:12 PM ET

So… is it just me, or do all Red Wing fans lack a sense of humour?

Geez.  Lighten up, boys and girls.

Posted by JM from O-town on 07/14/11 at 09:56 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

So… is it just me, or do all Red Wing fans lack a sense of humour?

It’s not you, it’s us.  Better that we not see each other anymore.

Shhhhh [touches index finder to lips] ....

Don’t say anything, just…. go.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/14/11 at 10:32 PM ET