Abel to Yzerman

Methinks Myopia Might Not Fit In This Case

First A-number 1 rule of hockey blogging: By god, do NOT and I mean no matter the circumstances, do NOT publish an opinion contrary to the almighty search engine.  Greg Wyshynski wants Mike Commodore to wear #64 because it would be funny. I think the idea should go away because it’s stupid and circus-like. The Detroit Red Wings are not a barnyard act begging for attention like Wysh’s lap dog, Ryan Lambert.

I said as much last Friday and oh didn’t Greg and his lemmings get butt hurt.

@Wyshynski

The Chief herds his A2Y sheep against Mike Commodore 64. Guessing b/c it’s not idea born of DET fans. Silly, expected

A standard ploy from Greg when he feels like you and I, or just me really, aren’t playing along or playing nicely.  When we disagree with his conspiracy barbs or when I point the finger at PD for employing blatant anti-Wing biased “writers”, out come blind follower references.  The only thing we all uniformly agree on here is that the Wings are the best franchise baby Jesus ever invented.  If anyone thinks the 19 are “sheep”, I’d recommend taking a gander at the thousands of posts where my opinions are shot down quite easily by people who’ve read this blog for more than five years.

So that was Greg’s high and mighty 40 word effort at martyrdom, his cyber-shake of the head and resigned, disappointed smile.  His next step came this morning over at Hockey’s Most Important Blog.

At Puck Daddy, Wyshynski pointed out that Paul Boyer says it’s ok. If Commodore wants to start his hopefully rejuvenated career in Detroit as a punchline, the number’s his. Greg also thanked those who have given some pub to the charity campaign, which has raised close to 7 grand so far.

And yes, thanks to The Chief at Abel To Yzerman for his coverage too, the myopic dissent that it was.

Myopic, eh?  Myopic dissent. Yes, I’m sure that fits our style real well.  Or would that be a faux interpretation, Greg?

We’re myopic because a few of us feel that using the Winged Wheel, one of the most traditional icons in all of sports, as a punchline is stupid?  And “dissenting”? Really? Dissenting from what?  Ahhhh, yes.  Back to the lead.  Anyone who disagrees with Puck Daddy is a “dissenter”.  Because if Yahoo says it, boy, it’s gotta be the truth.

And when Greg speaks, the real blogging elite follow.  Eh, Dirk?

On The Forecheck

Meanwhile, the slobbering mob acts like “Commodore 64” would be an affront to the dignity of the franchise. Methinks they take themselves a bit too seriously.

Slobbering mob.  Got it.  “Methinks”?  Well, I don’t typically speak in Shakespearise, especially from Hamlet, because I think it sounds “faux” and more than a little elitist, Dirk. But have at it.  And “they” is me. “Methinks” it was I who slammed this stupid Commodore 64 idea in the first place for the childish idiocy that it is, not necessarily the A2Y readers.  In fact, the great majority of them actually support the idea.  Not so much slobbering on this one, Dirk.

Yeah, we’ve spent some time on this subject. I know. So save your breath, or your fingers, if you’re going to spout off in disbelief that we’d dare devote such effort to it.

“Commodore 64” is ridiculous. Charity isn’t. If this thing goes down, Commodore will look like a clown but at least money will go to the right place.  So I’m good with that.  What I’m hoping will happen is that Commodore elects not to look like an idiot, that the Wings double whatever amount Wyshynski raises and pledges it as a show of good will when they decide that the Wing sweater is no place for a nifty play on words.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

SnLO's avatar

A2Y sheep

Now I understand those curley hairs I’ve grown: I’m a sheep.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 07/11/11 at 01:53 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Sheeple? I dunno…quite a few of us disagreed with you, Chief.

Too bad we’re not pharmacists and actually have to read each comment…we just can’t absorb the comments through your posts like sponges.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/11/11 at 01:57 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

stirring the pot a little?

Posted by tkfergy on 07/11/11 at 01:57 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Thanks Chief for reminding us of the respect that should be given to the Winged Wheel.  Sure, let him do it in the pre-season, raise a bunch of money, but then back to 22 (or whatever else) it should go.

Posted by BrendonR on 07/11/11 at 02:02 PM ET

Personally, I’m not sure why anyone has an opinion on this at all. It has nothing to do with hockey…

Posted by drikfan on 07/11/11 at 02:04 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I pledge my indifference to the situation.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/11/11 at 02:09 PM ET

The only reason I can see to not support this (as opposed to not giving a shit at all) is because Wyshynski’s for it.

If that’s the case, then I hope Commodore doesn’t choose 64.

But if the Wings are OK with it, and they clearly are, then any opposition to it just comes off as whiny and childish.

Posted by Garth on 07/11/11 at 02:18 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

you forgot this

Not that I’m going to plug them, but the piece of garbage that runs the worst hockey blog on the internet is trying to organize a campaign AGAINST the Commodore 64 thing. Because, he says, he doesn’t want Commodore — A RED WING!!!! — to be a “gimmick.” (Ignoring the fact that throwing an octopus and singing along to a Journey song are absolutely gimmicks, because why allow logic to enter into any such debate?) And also, presumably, because he hates charity.

from Lambert

Posted by tkfergy on 07/11/11 at 02:20 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

And when Greg speaks, the real blogging elite follow.  Eh, Dirk?

When Greg speaks, I ignore.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/11/11 at 02:20 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

you forgot this

from Lambert

Posted by tkfergy on 07/11/11 at 12:20 PM ET

Yeah, I saw that afterward Fergy. Classic Lambert.  He might want to do some research on the whole “hates” charity thing.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/11/11 at 02:21 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I happen to disagree with you on the Commodore 64 issue, Chief, but I also happen to disagree pretty vehemently with the way that Wyshynski and Lambert especially treat you and A2Y. If they’re talking about myopic and juvenile, they’re speaking about themselves.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/11/11 at 02:24 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/11/11 at 12:24 PM ET

Appreciate that George.  But Greg and his clerk are easy pickings when they get riled.  Very easy, in fact.  Go get some cherries and if you have a chance head up to the Blue Bird in Leland and tell them Sy’s nephew says hello.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/11/11 at 02:26 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I love the way the PuckDaddy guys act like the Wings are the only team with homers in their fans base, as if Montreal and Toronto fans (just for example) are comparative lightweights when it comes to homerism.  Its also not as if other teams don’t have devoted fan blogs.  I could see the criticism if we weren’t honest about who we are and what we’re about, but I don’t know any one of the 19 who apologizes for being a Wings fan.  Nor do I see too many of us who take ourselves that seriously.  What you see is what you get on this blog, and if you don’t like it, you still have 99.9% of the internet left to find some unbiased commentary.  When I want generic, Kmart-quality hockey coverage I’ll head on over to Yahoo! Sports.

I’ll chalk this episode up to yet another instance of Red Wing envy, and the PuckDaddy guys have a worse case of it than Blues fans.  They just can’t stand that the Wings and their fans have pride, traditions, and expectations.

I haven’t liked the Commodore 64 bs since the beginning, and as much I enjoy reading the Chief’s take on things, I didn’t wait for him to form my opinion (although I’m glad we agree).  Gimmick sweaters are for little brother teams, not the Red and White.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/11/11 at 02:40 PM ET

How ‘bout this:  wear that damn 64 bullshit for one pre-season game and then eBay that bitch.

Faux you and your sheep, PD.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/11/11 at 02:49 PM ET

i second that!

hype up the charity connection, wear it for the pre-season.

sell the replicas for half price, and sell some signed authentics on e-bay.

go in the good grace of hockey tradition of upstanding community support.

then ditch the number and lets play real hockey.

Posted by chad from albuquerque on 07/11/11 at 03:03 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I am of , how they say, a certain age, and quite clearly recall that Commodore made a subsiquent model computer. The Commodore 128.

So Cheif and the other 19, why don’t we one up PD by all KK members offering to donate $128.00 if Mikey doesn’t wear #64.

Seriously, anybody who spent any time here would know that we 19 are anything but sheep. Well, except maybe for our “love” of the little midget commish.

Vote No on Proposistion 64.

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/11/11 at 03:05 PM ET

Vote No on Proposistion 64.

Nah.

Posted by Garth on 07/11/11 at 03:11 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

bahhhhhhhhhh ...
bahhhhhhhhhhh ...

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/11/11 at 03:28 PM ET

Lambert is a professional troll.  Way to take his bait boys.

Posted by Paul on 07/11/11 at 03:31 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Why does this whole thing smack of the pettiness typically attributed to teenage girls?

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/11/11 at 03:34 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I guess its a slow news day.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/11/11 at 03:40 PM ET

So Jordan Tootoo should wear number 6?

Posted by j on 07/11/11 at 03:57 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

So Jordan Tootoo should wear number 6?

maybe #4. and ditch the whistles.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/11/11 at 04:00 PM ET

Lambert is a professional troll.

Posted by Paul on 07/11/11 at 01:31 PM ET

Now there’s two words you don’t often see in a sentence together.

Posted by 5hole from MI on 07/11/11 at 04:44 PM ET

As a longtime Red Wings fan AND a longtime A2Y reader AND someone who doesn’t hate Puck Daddy all that much, I would like to make it clear that I ...

........

..... rrrrrrrreally don’t give a flying faux what number our sixth defenseman chooses to wear on his jersey. I just ... don’t. And I owner a C64 back in the day.

Posted by Jayo on 07/11/11 at 04:44 PM ET

Pugna Vox's avatar

Wysh-

The Chief offers the expected response to our Commodore 64 post. We’ve done this dance with him for so long that we’ve worn out the hardwood. That said, the editor of ‘Tin Foil-To-Persecution Complex’ accusing someone else of an “effort at martyrdom” ranks among the most unintentionally hilarious moments of the young offseason. Kudos.

Summer just got more interesting.

Posted by Pugna Vox from Idiot Out Wandering Around on 07/11/11 at 05:05 PM ET

Wow, talk about a rant.  The view from the high ground must be pretty nice…you know that by screaming at them about this, you’re only proving these Yahoo guys right about everything they say about us, right?  Especially Lambert.  Your screams must be music to his ears.  Take it down a notch.  You don’t like it?  Fine.  Personally, I don’t care one way or another.  But don’t continue this battle.  Your attitude about it is only making those that hate us find more reasons to keep that opinion alive and thriving.

Posted by TheDude from Detroit on 07/11/11 at 05:05 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Where would the fun be in any of that?  I’m enjoying this immensely.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/11/11 at 05:15 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by TheDude from Detroit on 07/11/11 at 03:05 PM ET

Yes, appeasement is the only way to go!  If there’s anything I love doing, it’s whatever it takes to get people like Ryan Lambert to stop hating me.

Because you know they will, right?  They’re bound to stop hating us any time.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/11/11 at 05:22 PM ET

Wow, you are taking a lot of things way too seriously, foremost among them your hockey team. Relax. You’re reminding me why I left the USN - CPOs and Zeroes with God complexes and little-to-no senses of humor.

Posted by GMB from Over Here on 07/11/11 at 05:32 PM ET

As a Blackhawks fan, I know one thing as fact - Detroit Sucks.

But Commodore 64 would make Detroit suck a little bit less and would be awesome.  I can’t understand such absurd bitter rejection of such an amazing idea.

Posted by Thanatos from Chicago on 07/11/11 at 05:40 PM ET

I think it’s silly to waste time having an opinion about it.  I’ve been a wings fan my whole life but if you think the wings are above it or something then you must have missed all the stupid fun and dumb jokes that have been ingrained in hockey since who knows how long.  (See: Slapshot, Draper’s dumb pranks)

How weak of a reputation must you think the Wings have in order for it to be tarnished by something so irrelevant?

Certainly after this post though, you do make it look like its more about some beef between you and Wysh than a stupid number for charity.

Posted by Alex on 07/11/11 at 05:51 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

As a Blackhawks fan, I know one thing as fact - Detroit Sucks.

Haven’t you fallen off the bandwagon yet?  I mean considering how all the wheels of your cup team are coming off…  I guess circumventing the CBA wasn’t a great long term plan eh?

Posted by GMB from Over Here on 07/11/11 at 03:32 PM ET

Posted by Alex on 07/11/11 at 03:51 PM ET

Most of are us Wings fan here, so I mean it all in good fun when I say this, but I love the people on the internet who get worked up over somebody else getting worked up.  Its really something to get upset enough about somebody’s post that you need to tell them to chill out and not post anymore (especially when the comment is unsolicited).  I mean c’mon, that’s circular logic at its best.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/11/11 at 06:13 PM ET

Actually, dissenting doesn’t mean wrong opinion, it just means differing opinion. You do, in fact, hold a different opinion than Wysh, and so his use of dissent is correct. He presented one argument, you presented the other side.

Posted by Jen from DC on 07/11/11 at 06:17 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

this whole thing is fuching stupid.  Seriously, it’s turning into a little hockeyblog westside story and that movies friggin’ ghey.  I’m not reading any more of these retarded articles, I’m too busy giving a shit about my team to care about a freakin’ number.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/11/11 at 06:24 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

This is the difference between connotative meaning and literal meaning.  I’m gonna go out on a limb and say Wyshynksi probably meant it pejoratively, especially since he called the Chief myopic.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/11/11 at 06:39 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

How many backlashes are we at again?

I’d just like to come out and say that the complaining about the complaining about the overrreacting about the complaining about the complaining about the overreacting about the complaining has officially gone too far.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/11/11 at 06:46 PM ET

This ‘terribly affronted dignity’ act is a good one. Gets you a lot of hits, for sure.

I don’t want to believe it’s serious. But if it is, take a break from anointing your jerseys with holy water long enough to realize that you’re just fans of a very successful NHL team, and nothing more. Watching people push a disc of vulcanized rubber around an ice surface is not that serious of a pursuit.

Certainly not more serious than the cause promoted by any charity.

Posted by D on 07/11/11 at 06:57 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Stop Stop This is getting too silly.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 07/11/11 at 07:00 PM ET

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/11/11 at 04:46 PM ET

It has not.  The horse in your avatar is neither dead nor beaten.

Posted by Robocop from Michigam on 07/11/11 at 07:15 PM ET