Abel to Yzerman

Many Good Things Come From Nashville…

... unfortunately, I can't think of any right now.

I also can't think of anything really important or witty to put here (as usual), so let's just stick to the facts: The Prednecks are coming off a huge win against the Kings, and the Wings are basking in a come-from-ahead victory in South Beach. Last game saw Zetterman and Snapplecrater back in the lineup, and tonight we get to see God and King James make their returns. I'm not too worried about Helm keeping up...

... but Howard....

... well, let's just say my confidence is perched precariously on the brink. "Hope for the best, expect the worst," I always say. May be a crappy way to go through life, but it keeps the disappointments to a minimum.

Everyone's looking forward to January 1,  2014, and renewing the rivalry with Toronto in the Winter Classic - but first thing's first: Tonight, a dangerous team in the Nashville Predators... expect a hard-fought battle for two badly-needed points

Just win.

Let's remind Bubba why they should be thankful the Wings aren't in the West anymore, and send 2013 out with a banging Live Blog, Bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 6 7 8

calquake's avatar

The NHL is very lucky they have two teams in the WC who can generate interest simply because of history and large fan bases, because if they were banking on the WC this year being a competition between two teams playing quality hockey, well, they’d be Fd

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 12/30/13 at 10:43 PM ET

Word.

Posted by calquake on 12/30/13 at 11:44 PM ET

Alan's avatar

See you all on Winter Classic day. Hopefully, our compete level isn’t measured in celcius, because that’s what the weather will be like.

Also, Gods be praised if Mrazek gets the start against Toronto.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/30/13 at 11:46 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Bert with his usual untimely lunkheaded penalty and the Jimmah looking like Corado Micelef in the 80’s. Oh and it’s the anniversary of Brad Park becoming the coach of the Wings. Is history repaeating itself?

Best wishes to all my fake friends for a Happy safe and prosperous New Year.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 12/30/13 at 11:49 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

G’night Y’all and   Gott Nytt År..!!!!

Let’s Go Red Wings !!!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 12/30/13 at 11:51 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 12/30/13 at 10:43 PM ET

It’s a New Year’s Day game played in a bowl shaped football stadium. The NHL really blew a golden marketing opportunity by not getting American Standard or Kohler to sponsor the game: The Toilet Bowl, brought to you by ...

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 12/30/13 at 11:51 PM ET

calquake's avatar

The Toilet Bowl, brought to you by ...

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 12/30/13 at 10:51 PM ET

Flushing New York’s Chamber of Commerce.

Posted by calquake on 12/30/13 at 11:54 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Word

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 12/30/13 at 11:54 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Hey guys, I tried to keep the streak alive.

I apologize.

Howard… I mean, I’m a little (read: pretty much completely) intoxicated, but the first couple of goals were all on him. Take those two away, and it’s a different game.

I’m not usually one to question management extensively, but… *#$%@& seriously. If Howard starts the Winter Classic, I’ll be pissed.

If he loses the Winter Classic, I’ll be even more pissed.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 12/30/13 at 11:56 PM ET

calquake's avatar

f Howard starts the Winter Classic, I’ll be pissed.

If he loses the Winter Classic, I’ll be even more pissed.

Posted by RedMenace from Team Slovaskimo Fighting Snipers on 12/30/13 at 10:56 PM ET

If he loses in a shoot-out I’ll be thrice pissed.

Posted by calquake on 12/30/13 at 11:59 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

If he loses in a shoot-out I’ll be thrice pissed.

Posted by calquake on 12/30/13 at 10:59 PM ET

You know what they say:

Once…

Twice…

Three times a lady.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 12/31/13 at 12:00 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from Team Slovaskimo Fighting Snipers on 12/30/13 at 11:00 PM ET

Have a good and safe New Year’s Red,

Posted by calquake on 12/31/13 at 12:01 AM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Have a good and safe New Year’s Red,

Posted by calquake on 12/30/13 at 11:01 PM ET

Same to you, Cal… same to you.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 12/31/13 at 12:02 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

*#$%@& seriously. If Howard starts the Winter Classic, I’ll be pissed.

If Howard starts another game this year, I’ll be pissed. smile

Honestly, though, that was just an absolutely pathetic effort by Howard. The sad thing is, is not much different than he’s played for the past two months.

On a positive note, his contract only runs for five more years after this season. gulp

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/31/13 at 02:02 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Got in late this evening.  Just watched the replay—umm, well, let’s say I TRIED to watch it, but just couldn’t stomach it.

Elite goaltending?

Hell, average, or maybe even slightly below average goaltending would have at least given them a chance. But what I saw tonight wasn’t average, or even slightly below average.  What we saw tonight was just fuching awful. A joke. You go down 3-1 on three long, very stoppable shots and it just totally rips the heart out of your team.

Look, I know it’s easy to blame the goaltender, and everyone has a bad night, but seriously, Howard is seriously crippling any chance his team has. our goaltending has become a laughing stock around the league.

Awesome.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 12/31/13 at 02:35 AM ET

Howie sucks for a $5 million goalie.  Holy hell, I counted at least THREE mutherfuching goals he coulda had.

Awful.  Just fuching awful.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 12/31/13 at 02:53 AM ET

Awful.  Just fuching awful.

Posted by SYF from minding the gap on 12/31/13 at 01:53 AM ET

Not to mention that it was against 2nd lowest scoring team in the f…ing league.

Posted by George0211 on 12/31/13 at 09:53 AM ET