Abel to Yzerman

Live Blog This: Fire Ken Holland ASAP, And Toto Too

I should have written this earlier. I should have written it Saturday night, Sunday morning or yesterday. I should have written it last year or the year before.

This franchise has plummeted.

I'm no hockey beat writer or even a mildly credible blogger. I won't be calling players out "for effort", because I've never once in my mostly adult life been able to look at a television and determine whether the participants in any sport I was watching were easing up, or not giving "full effort."  That's BS and it's BS from any reporter or blogger who hasn't played at that level, and I dare say none of us have.  Maybe Gregg Krupa, but nobody else.

No. This isn't about the players we have.

We've seen enough from them to know they are not the problem. That's a fairly talented group, or at least more talented then the last 7 games have shown us.

This is a management problem and a coaching problem.

Jeff Blashill would have been fired from any team in the league Sunday morning.  That was disgusting.

But not the Wings, boy. Not the Wings. Why? You know why. Blashill, the milque toast, lukewarm, nice Mike Babcock, is Ken Holland's boy, his wunderkind and his effing legacy. Ken Holland brought him along and strung our asses right along with him. Ken Holland fires Blashill and it's his referendum.

Chris Ilitch needs to make a move and make that move right damn now.  Everyone must go. Jettison the apathetic, comfortable Ken Holland.  Don't let him ride his garbage contract to the last day. He let this team atrophy and he's iced a team that can't fill half of a new stadium.  Jesus. That, in itself, should be enough.

What new arena can't fill its seats?

What new arena in an Original 6 city can't entice fans?

Ken Holland's arena. Ken Holland's team, the one that Blashill "likes". Shitttttt.

Chris Ilitch needs to get his checkbook out.  Chris Ilitch needs to fly to Tampa with his checkbook in one hand and a kung fu grip in the other, ready to do what's necessary to get The Captain back to Detroit.

I don't care. I simply do not care what you have to say to that unless you agree, then we can talk.  Ilitch needs to pay Steve Yzerman whatever it takes, times three.   Buy out his contract. Pay the lawyers for the breach.  Buy out the house and convince the entire family that Detroit is the place to be, the home to return to.

Yzerman brings the fan base back.  Yzerman brings the intense, burning desire to win back.  Do you really believe Ken Tick Tock Holland gives a single, solitary shit about winning? Seriously?  Since when?

Bring Steve Yzerman back to Detroit and let him spend money on staff.  We know the damn budget for skaters has been bent over and brutalized by one Ken Holland. Got it. Open the wallet and let Yzerman spend to his heart's content on the best minds in hockey. Kind of like, I don't know, Toronto did?

Bring him back. At any cost. Immediately.

You think it's impossible? Why? It's just money.  I think the Ilitch family has some.

Bring him back and let him have complete and utter control.  Absolute control.  No interference. General manager and president of hockey operations, Steve Yzerman.

Is he the brightest mind in hockey? Maybe not. But he damn sure wants to win more than anyone else. And, by god, we don't need a genius. We need a competitor with money at his disposal.

Fire Ken Holland. Fire Jeff Blashill. Bring in Steve Yzerman and whoever the hell else he wants at whatever cost he demands.

This BS has gone on long enough.

It's a live blog, MFers.  LGRW and do what you have to do, CHRIS.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

MikeMac's avatar

I don’t wish any of the players ill, and I certainly don’t want to see them fail.  But, man… floating around 500 is just going to get us more talk of parity, looking in mirrors, and platitudes about effort.  Not the honest self-assessment from the organization that we all want to hear.

Does this team need a sustained plummet to bring real pressure to bear for the years of poor planning that has brought the team to this terrible state?  It’s hard to even want to think that…

L.G.R.W.

Posted by MikeMac on 12/05/17 at 06:58 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

This is a management problem and a coaching problem.

Evenin’ MFers! Thanks Chief!

Fire em” all!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/05/17 at 07:05 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Anyone having problems with any streams anywhere?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/05/17 at 07:10 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/05/17 at 07:10 PM ET

I’m unable to watch the pregame on NHL.TV right now. I’m on hold with them now to find out why.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/05/17 at 07:13 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/05/17 at 07:13 PM ET

Same here. Thank you. wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/05/17 at 07:16 PM ET

calquake's avatar

It’s a great night for a hockey game. Let’s hope the team in Red provides one. L.G.R.W.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 12/05/17 at 07:17 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

I don’t believe I have never not wanted to watch a hockey game before in my entire life until now.  Ugh.

Posted by The Hurricane on 12/05/17 at 07:19 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's Chair on 12/05/17 at 07:21 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/05/17 at 07:16 PM ET

According to the lady on the phone, there’s a technical issue on the NHL.TV side of things, and it should be resolved Soon™

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/05/17 at 07:21 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

*please excuse above unintended double negative. I’m compelled to watch this train wreck begrudgingly.

Posted by The Hurricane on 12/05/17 at 07:23 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Thanks Alan!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's Chair on 12/05/17 at 07:24 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

You only missed an interview with Kronwall who suggested they only have up to go from here. The fellas picked their hot hand of the game…someone picked Big Rig simply because no one has ever done so before so why not….and Tick Tock is rambling now about blah blah blah. Dear God he has no fire in his belly.

Posted by The Hurricane on 12/05/17 at 07:25 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Howdy bitches. Can’t say as I’ve watched a game yet this season… Still follow the goings on here and whatnot but that’s about it.
Cheers 19.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 12/05/17 at 07:26 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

KH admitted that we have no superstars in their prime on our team. Oy vey….

Posted by The Hurricane on 12/05/17 at 07:27 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Hejsan Allesammans !!!

I really really Believe we will win tonight..

LGRW  clap clap clap

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 12/05/17 at 07:28 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I’ll be hitting refresh on the NHL page every few minutes, but so far, there’s no feed up yet. It appears all games on NHL.TV are affected.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/05/17 at 07:29 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by The Hurricane on 12/05/17 at 07:19 PM ET

Kinda like watching a train wreck. You know you probably shouldn’t watch the carnage, yet, you cannot look away. wink  shut eye

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/05/17 at 07:30 PM ET

MikeMac's avatar

Sigh… forget my previous reluctance to see the team plummet.  Let ‘er burn.

Posted by MikeMac on 12/05/17 at 07:30 PM ET

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/05/17 at 07:29 PM ET

Almost 2018 and the NHL still hasn’t found a way to competently stream their games.  This is the third Red Wing game this year with NHL.tv issues.

And….LGRW

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/05/17 at 07:31 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

It is dread instead of anticipation that is making me tune in. Just like the 70s.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/05/17 at 07:33 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/05/17 at 07:31 PM ET

But they’ve figured out how to overlay our “commercial breaks” with only the most processor intensive flash advertisements, showing us the same crappy Jeep ad more than three dozen times per game.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/05/17 at 07:34 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

The entire KH interview is posted on KK and I tried to summarize in the comments.

Posted by ilovehomers on 12/05/17 at 07:35 PM ET

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/05/17 at 07:34 PM ET

I had never heard of Halsey before the hockey season started…..I can honestly say I absolutely hate her, now.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/05/17 at 07:36 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Just like the 70s.

Right on Soul Sista’. Power to the People. cheese

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 12/05/17 at 07:37 PM ET

damndog's avatar

“Chris Ilitch needs to get his checkbook out.  Chris Ilitch needs to fly to Tampa with his checkbook in one hand and a kung fu grip in the other, ready to do what’s necessary to get The Captain back to Detroit.”

This made my night!

Hi all! Go Wings!

Posted by damndog from The Eastside of Detroit on 12/05/17 at 07:37 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Ken Holland all over the fox pre game, including him with Mrs. Illitch in the owners box.

Perhaps the Wings PR machine is beginning to understand how restless the natives have become????

Posted by Down River Dan on 12/05/17 at 07:39 PM ET

damndog's avatar

Just like the 70s.

osted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/05/17 at 07:33 PM ET

The Bong is strong?

Posted by damndog from The Eastside of Detroit on 12/05/17 at 07:41 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/05/17 at 07:36 PM ET

I hate both her and Jeep because of that ad. The only thing I hate more is the Blackhawks.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/05/17 at 07:41 PM ET

Got lucky with the no call on the interference there

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/05/17 at 07:43 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Right on Soul Sista’. Power to the People. cheese

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin’ on my manifesto on 12/05/17 at 07:37 PM ET

Power to the people, right on! cool hmm

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/05/17 at 07:44 PM ET

calquake's avatar

The Bong is strong?

[cough, cough] What?

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 12/05/17 at 07:44 PM ET

damndog's avatar

Lol

Posted by damndog from The Eastside of Detroit on 12/05/17 at 07:45 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

The Bong is strong?

Posted by damndog from The Eastside of Detroit on 12/05/17 at 07:41 PM ET

Ahh…. To be young again. The Bong was strong. Indeed. cool smile

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/05/17 at 07:46 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Nice shot by Mantha.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 12/05/17 at 07:47 PM ET

Not only are the streams not working, NHL.com isn’t showing any scores for any games

Posted by EthrDemon on 12/05/17 at 07:47 PM ET

damndog's avatar

Slashing

Posted by damndog from The Eastside of Detroit on 12/05/17 at 07:48 PM ET

calquake's avatar

To be young again.

If I only knew then what I know now… I’d probably still turn oot the same. A diehard Wingaholic.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 12/05/17 at 07:49 PM ET

kilt it

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/05/17 at 07:51 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin’ on my manifesto on 12/05/17 at 07:49 PM ET

Hardcore Wingaholic. We’re Detroiters.  cool smirk

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/05/17 at 07:52 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by EthrDemon on 12/05/17 at 07:47 PM ET

If it weren’t for TuneIn Radio, I wouldn’t have an audio feed either.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/05/17 at 07:52 PM ET