Abel to Yzerman

Kenny?  What Now? We’re Gonna Live Blog While You Consider Giving Abby’s Number To…Shhhhh

I'm pretty sure that when the shit got considerably real whenever the last offseason was, I demanded that Kenny Holland sign Alexander Semin to a one-year ten million dollar deal. Because I know what I'm doing. I know hockey and I watch NHL On The Fly now because we get the NHL Network on the ship and plus I read everything HockeyInHD writes and he's a pharmacist of the most redolent order.

When was that...the actual "offseason"? Last summer?  Laura and Mary Ingalls had pranced off to Walnut Grove and the Stress Train was swaying.  It was a drunken, troubling, bodacious time.

And I know I told Tick Tock that many millions needed to be spent on Semin because our boy Pavel would reform him, inspire the willowy lad with the tender sensitivities.

In a roundabout way, we signed Damien Brunner instead.  Brunner's got 10 goals. Semin ("he's the SNIPER WE NEED KENNY") has 4 in Carolina.  Brunner's making less than 2.  Semin's pulling in 7 million.

Somebody is a professional GM. Someone else is a nimrod who likes to type.

And the Diggers are getting ballsy.  Actually, sit down, discussing trade possibiities. Almost unheard of without organ-I-zational permission.

Who would have thought we'd have excess defensemen?  Well, re-phrase...because the Lions have excess defensive backs but they all suck ass so it really doesn't matter.  Try this: who would have thought our blue line would look pretty good and we'd still have defensemen to spare if the right deal came along?

Not me.  Sheeeeeeiiiit.  Not you either, smart guy. Nope.  But now we do and the wheels are turning somewhere.  So, when you've got one team with a few extra decent (and relatively cheap) d-men...well, you start wondering what might  be done to increase the chances of, you know, a Stanley Fuching Cup.

And when you have another team with a superstar whose talent is truly sublime (in all my years of life I've never actually typed or said the word "sublime"...I think I used it right but in keeping with tradition you can stick that dictionary all the way up your St. Louis tail pipe because I'm not looking it up).

I can't help it. I just can't.  Capgeek says we have like 13 million to spend if we made a deal today, 32 at the deadline.

I'll just say it: Ovechkin is 28. He makes 10 million...but over like 20 years (actually...gulp...13). He's one of the top 5 most talented players in hockey.  Datsyuk would have dramatic effect on him.  I'm gonna type this really fast so that you can forget it right after you read it but Kenny Holland should consider trading any one of our defensemen except for Nick Kronwall plus some picks and like a Tatar or a Nyquist and let the Caps keep some of that salary if it's even allowed in this CBA...for Ovechkin. There. I said it.  Disregard. I literally feel filthy right now. Stupid. Idiotic idea. Fiscally suicidal. Do it Kenny. Kidding. Horrible suggestion. Seriously, though. Consider it. K. Thanks.

It's an early-starting Live Blog, bitches.  I'm sorry for last night. I take full responsibility.  I won't mention any of JFH's shutouts ever again. Ever.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 8 9 10

Yzersyuk's avatar

And for the second season in a row I now want the Moose benched unconditionally. Sigh, no matter the skill that attitude is cancerous.

Posted by Yzersyuk on 03/01/13 at 01:15 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

He looks like he’s halfassing it, maybe he’s just slow.  He’s been for crap ever since that 4-goal game against SJ in the playoffs.  Or seems like it.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/01/13 at 01:17 AM ET

Ya speaketh me language.  ‘Tis the truth.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 03/01/13 at 01:18 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Proud of the effort tonight by the boys and with any luck would have won last night.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/01/13 at 01:18 AM ET

G’night, 19.  Glad to have been here for the winner.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 03/01/13 at 01:22 AM ET

calquake's avatar

As long as the Wings put in efforts like the last two games I’m a happy camper.  The wins will come.

Posted by calquake on 03/01/13 at 01:22 AM ET

calquake's avatar

G’nite Mrs. Callabash wherever you are.  Ha cha cha.

Posted by calquake on 03/01/13 at 01:23 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

With one win PHX could jump from 11 to 4.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/01/13 at 01:27 AM ET

monkey's avatar

A 2-1 win with Gus in net.  Good lord things are looking up.  Wings in fourth place, will be in 11th by the time they play again.  Time to make some hay and get some separation from the Peloton.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 03/01/13 at 08:19 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

How about what it would realistically cost to trade for him? I know it wouldn’t be exactly as high of a cost as his talent would normally dictate because he’s down the last year or so and has a massive contract. But it would still be a pretty crazy deal.

Rick Nash cost:
- Artem Anisimov
- Tim Erixon
- Brandon Dubinsky
- 1st round pick

What comparables could the Wings offer for Ovechkin, keeping in mind that a glance at Washington’s roster indicates that their needs are D, and a semi-replacement on the wing for Ovi?

- Anisimov is a 2nd round pick with high-end skill that projects as a good top six forward if he continues to develop. So, Tatar or Nyquist? Or even Brunner?

- Erixon is a 1st round pick with good two-way skills, but almost no NHL experience to look at. He had a pretty good season in the AHL where he put up about 30 points in 50 games. Sounds a heck of a lot like Brendan Smith.

- Dubinsky is a known quantity. On a good team, he’s a very very good third line center that can play in a defensive role and chip in 20 goals with some net front play and decent hands. On a mediocre team, he’s maybe a 2nd line center. The Wings actually currently have a lot of players that fit this mold, but only two are centers that are under 30—Helm and Filppula. Since we all have an unhealthy obsession with Helm, and Filppula is under-performing this season, let’s say Filppula is the guy.

So, a package for Ovi, just on the Nash comparison, looks like:
- 1st round pick
- Brendan Smith
- Tomas Tatar
- Valtteri Filppula

In doing this, we’re basically taking $5 million in cap space on (of course, Smith, Tatar, and that 1st round pick would eventually cost quite a bit if things go according to plan, so the money the Wings are taking back might not be as bad as it seems). This seems like a fairly reasonable possibility (that is a relative term, of course, assuming a whole bunch of things that likely aren’t even true, such as, would the Caps shop Ovi anyhow).

To nit-pick, we could say that Ovechkin is a better player than Nash, so this comparable might even be a tiny bit light. I could easily see it costing another pick, not a 1st rounder, but maybe a 2nd or 3rd, or something conditional. We could also say that the Wings might not like the lack of salary balance in this deal, and they would be trading away their only legitimate young D that can project as a top pair player (no disrespect to Lashoff—I like the contract they signed him to and he is playing well, but I think we all know he isn’t Brendan Smith). As we all already know, UFA Ds don’t come cheap, and are hardly available in 2013 anyhow. So we’d basically be counting on scoring more with Ovechkin, having Kronwall and Ericsson keep up the quality play, and expecting Quincey’s game to even out.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 03/01/13 at 08:39 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Very impresses by the Wings during this short two-game West Coast swing. They have restored my confidence.

Which means I am totally expecting to crumble into a pile of pessimism after Sunday’s game.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/01/13 at 09:14 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Wow.  Just watched the highlights. Great to see Jonas have such a good outing!  A shoot out win!

Watching the standings is like watching bouncing ping pong balls.  Geez.

Sounds like Mule(Moose) is still just taking up space.

Sorry, but I can’t get my head around giving up Brendan Smith and Tomas Tatar for anyone.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/01/13 at 09:16 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

...I am totally expecting to crumble into a pile of pessimism after Sunday’s game.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/01/13 at 09:14 AM ET

It would be so sweet if the Wings could deliver the Hawks their first loss, and on NBC, with Eddie IcePatch, to boot.  Seems to me the pressure is on them.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/01/13 at 09:18 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Any trade for ANYONE, from Jesus in hockey gear riding on a dinosaur, to a bag of foreskins stolen from Sidney Crosby’s refrigerator, that does not include Johan Franzen in the deal will leave me bitterly disappointed.

Posted by dougie on 03/01/13 at 02:19 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by dougie on 03/01/13 at 02:19 PM ET

- See more at: http://kuklaskorner.com/a2y/comments/kenny-what-now-were-gonna-live-blog-while-you-consider-giving-abbys-number/P360#sthash.sfMf9TX0.dpuf

I am guessing that with your long history and familiarity with alcohol that this will not be your first dance with disappointment.

Oh, see monkey about the dinosaurs.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/01/13 at 05:04 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

So I went to see that new Oedipus play last week. Took my mother. Talk about an awkward ride home. Barely got a goodnight kiss.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/01/13 at 05:10 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

“I liked the fact that the D was big,’’ Babcock said. “They could skate and they went back and got pucks and paid the price to move it and get it out. Did we make some mistakes? Absolutely. But I thought it was the best group that we had all year.

Without White.

He explained his reasoning for removing White from the lineup.

“I think he’s been real good on the offensive blue line on the power play,’’ Babcock said. “I think when he’s looking up ice he makes real good passes.

“But, a lot of times you have to go back and get (the puck) and you have to get it out of your zone and not spend time in your zone. The guys who played (the past two games) did a good job of that.”

3 goals against in 2 road games back to back - without White - is pretty good, and LA was lucky to get those 2.

Until the next injury or back to back games I see White as a continued healthy scratch.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/02/13 at 01:17 PM ET

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 03/01/13 at 05:10 PM ET

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 03/02/13 at 02:53 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Good God.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 03/02/13 at 03:18 PM ET

« Previous       ‹ First  < 8 9 10