Abel to Yzerman

Jimmy Howard Would Like To Play Another Year

from Larry Mahoney of the Bangor Daily News,

The National Hockey League season has been a trying one for Jimmy Howard and the Detroit Red Wings. They are last in the league with 39 points as the season remains in limbo after being put on hold as a precaution to deal with the coronavirus.

Howard, who turned 36 on Thursday, has lost the starting job to Jonathan Bernier. The 13-year NHL veteran has a 4.20 goals-against average to go with an .882 save percentage. He hasn’t played since Feb. 27.

“It has been a tough year and it has been for everyone in the organization,” Howard said. “We are going through a rebuilding process and it has been a perfect storm. Everyone has needed to step up and that hasn’t been the case.”

Howard’s contract, which pays him $4 million, is up at the end of the season.

“I want to play another year. I still have game left in me, but I’ll have to wait and see if any other general managers feel the same way,” Howard said. “I know I will have to transition to being a backup goaltender. It is a young man’s game. These young goalies eat, breathe and sleep hockey. It’s fun to watch.”

continued

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Anywhere but Detroit Jimmy. Please.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 03/26/20 at 05:45 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

we wish him well….

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 03/26/20 at 05:51 PM ET

Should’ve played this one then.

Posted by Ventr on 03/26/20 at 06:15 PM ET

Sounds like he knows it won’t be in Detroit

Not sure the appeal to another team at this point

Or how a goalie his age trains and practices especially now in order to recover lost quickness and reflexes

But definitely wish him well

Wonder if a playoff team did have any interest in acquiring him for a reasonable price the last couple years - thinking of you, San Jose

Posted by lefty.30 on 03/26/20 at 07:14 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Jimmy Howard Would Like To Play Another Year

And I want a Swedish Super Model girlfriend…..but…. hmmm

Posted by Down River Dan on 03/26/20 at 07:26 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

He’s a good dude who’s been a great goalie most his career here, but this year has been absolutely atrocious for him.  Last year he played really well for being on such a bad team; I don’t know if it just wore him down mentally or what his deal is this season, but it’s unfortunate.

I wish him the best and hope he can find a spot somewhere in the league next season.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/26/20 at 08:34 PM ET

Shanny_Fan's avatar

I hear the ECHL is nice

Posted by Shanny_Fan on 03/26/20 at 08:59 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

As I read on another blog today. “ He does have one more win than the zamboni driver” . Hoo boy.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On LTIR for the Greenville Pylons on 03/26/20 at 10:57 PM ET

damn, is it april fools day already?

Posted by akwingsfan on 03/27/20 at 12:54 AM ET

Alan's avatar

Howie was a good goalie for most of his career, but these past couple seasons have been pretty bad. As for whether other GMs might be interested, I’d give it a solid maybe, but only if they have great D playing in front of him. Are there any teams with good defense and an opening in goal? I guess we’ll find out whenever free agency takes place.

For the record, I don’t expect the season to continue, and I hope all of the playoff and bubble teams will understand that when the NHL finally cancels the season.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 03/27/20 at 02:40 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Really seems like he’s been told, or read the tea leaves, that he won’t be offered by Detroit.

Posted by RWBill on 03/28/20 at 05:06 PM ET