Abel to Yzerman

IwoCPO…Departing

It doesn't take a pharmacist to figure out what's happening here.  In fact, it's been coming for a couple years.

In January it will be 9 years since we started A2Y and, simply, I'm going to fall just short of reaching that anniversary.  The main hatchway has, once and for all, given in.

Most of you know I started a new job in May and it's one I've wanted my entire career.  In order to do it right, I've had to devote considerable time to it.  My family will attest to that, believe me.  But most of you have realized it too. Blogging hasn't been possible. Paul's carried me. George and Red Menace too.

But Balboa wasn't fond of being carried and he let Mickey know that at the 22 minute mark of Rocky III, one of the most dramatic moments in American film history.  I'm not a fan of it either, and I told Paul this morning that an exit strategy was in order.  I'm not going to drag this out. I'm not going to sporadically post (anymore). I'm just gonna call it quits and thank all of you for being great friends.  I'm not sure what's going to come of A2Y. I carry no parochial rights to the name or the blog, itself.  I'd say that if any of you are interested in stepping up, Paul would be very willing to listen.  The Live Blogs have carried Abel to Yzerman for the last couple years and I know the staple they've become for many of you on game day.

It's hard to believe we've been going this long.  Together we've experienced some of the greatest moments in Red Wing history and we've suffered together through some soul-crushing episodes.  We've seen this team shift generations. We watched Nick Lidstrom hoist his final Stanley Cup together and it's incredible to think that, as a group of 19, we never saw The Captain do the same.

We've waged silly wars with Dive fans, Pens fans, Duck fans, a Predator fan and the three people in Missouri who can read.  We've met Darren Garcia and cherished him for the city he represented so well.  We hated things together. Oh, my. Did we ever levy some hate.  Mostly me, but you guys too. Gary Bettman was target A#1. As I go out, I'd like to say to you Gary that I respect your role as commissioner of this great league and despite the criticism thrown at you here and from other corners, you're a good man and your integrity should never have been questioned the way it was here from time to time.

Re-phrase: you're a paranoid shrew who leads a pathetic league through incompetence, personal greed, personal bias and sheer stupidity. You're a laughingstock and ripping you to shreds has brought me pleasure that borders on the physical.

Sorry. Got off track.

We rode Stress Trains together, nearly two hundred of them stretching across 8 Springs (minus Gary's lockout year...you fuch).  We created juvenile names and they stuck: Charlie Buckets and William Tell. Tick Tock and Stillwuzzi, our favorite serial killer.  Wally and James Tiberius Howard.  You talked about his dong a lot.  We suffered through sphincter minutes and whiskey dick.  We loved our coach and we hated him.  We trusted him and we envied his hair.  We questioned him and we hailed him when he proved to be brilliant, which he is.  We begged Manny Legace to stop talking about it, and just do it.  We still talk about penalty kills from Kirk Maltby, Darren Helm and Hank Zetterberg.  We despised our villains: the Talbots, the Prongers, the Niedermayers. Many others.

We picked fights with other blogs. We stuck together at all times. We drank together and RWBill tried to pick up my wife right in front of me.  We are transplants and we are Michigan natives who never left.  I'll always consider myself one of you, long after I've typed my last word here in a few minutes.

Paul has put up with a lot where A2Y is concerned. Man, the emails he's gotten.  If I was a chick I'd put "LOL" right there.  The complaints from the masses about the fact that I may have said something a little offensive. But only a little.  He never once asked me to remove a word. Never changed a single post. Never did anything but defend us for our right to have an opinion.  He's been a great boss and a great friend.

I had a blast here. I did. I loved letting my mind wander and flow through the keyboard right to this blog.  Little structure. Very little discipline. Even less neutrality. I never claimed to be anything other than an arrogant Wing fan who happened to have people to talk to about it. I loved it.  Truly.

But I don't have the time and, honestly, I can't remember the last post I gave you that was more than a few paragraphs and even those felt forced.  I told my wife about this today and she asked if it was permanent or a sabbatical or what. I'd say it's permanent. I don't see my job slowing down and, I don't know...maybe I'll throw something up when the playoffs start. But I'm not counting on it. I plan to be at sea, on a Destroyer, probably throwing up because that thing moves in heavy seas, brother.

Thanks for reading me the last (almost) 9 years. Thanks for your friendship and your loyalty to the greatest organ-i-zation in sports. Ever.

Somewhere Murph is frigging wasted.  The Cup comes back to Detroit about 20 Tuesdays from the next one.  16 more wins to 12.

I'm out.  Bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 >       Next »

WingFanFormerlyInLA's avatar

Sad to hear you are moving on, well sad for selfish reasons.  It’s thrilling to hear you are moving on with your dream job.  Try to pop in every now and then if you can.  Hell I remember your posts from MLive’s forum way way way back when…..scary.

Best of luck to you Chief!

Posted by WingFanFormerlyInLA on 11/28/13 at 09:07 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

dougie says it for me:

But for me, this blog was(and still is) the best part of being a Wings fan. The. Best.

And we all knew this:

Thanks, Chief.

A2Y lives on.

sick

Posted by w2j2 on 11/28/13 at 09:11 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

The last time I felt my gut being ripped out like this was when I made the brutally difficult decision several years ago to authorize a vet to inject a fatal amount of anesthesia into my 16-year old golden retriever.

Thank you Bill, for having the fortitude to write and publish the childish emotional tantrums that the rest of us felt.  This is our only sanctuary free from those evil elements in our lives forcing us to try and act like adults.  Hell no, we won’t go!

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 11/29/13 at 12:14 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Hey, remember this epic moment?  After chatting up Bill’s wife we got to see Ville Leino score his first NHL goal, a Bertuzzi-like Spinorama.

P1010266

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 11/29/13 at 12:21 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Abel2Yzerman, Bill Houlihan’s dream goes Worldwide.

screen-capture-27

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 11/29/13 at 12:26 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Chief Spaceballs

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 11/29/13 at 12:30 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Chief fantasy FM B

French Maid

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 11/29/13 at 12:35 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Not related, but just throwing this in because it’s one of the funniest things ever.

“Cream?”
“No thanks, I take it black.  Like my men.”

screen-capture-7

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 11/29/13 at 12:38 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Sir, I stumbled across this blog about 2008. It instantly became must read for me. Your writing was always entertaining and juvenile and you know that’s meant as a compliment. I will miss you Sir. Good luck with your Naval career.

Posted by Down River Dan on 11/29/13 at 12:47 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Fair winds, Good Sir.

TO be honest, I’m not surprised. We knew you were busy and the posting had dried up. If Paul ends up removing A2Y from the site I’d understand but I hope it remains somewhat accessible somewhere. Only you, Chief, can bring calm to the stormy waters at times. Wish you the best in all future endeavors.

...and hope you get an itch every now and then and post something for the hell of it.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 11/29/13 at 12:55 AM ET

When I first came to KK I ignored A2Y - didn’t mind the Wings but didn’t really follow them, and the posts looked pretty juvenile. Eventually 3-4 years ago something made me click through and read one, and it was… whoa. Juvenile yes, full of rabid hatred, yep, twisted - and damn. funny. I haven’t missed many since. I follow the Wings almost as closely as my Canuckleheads now, and wish we had something as filthy and essential as what you’ve created with the 13. Damn right I’m envious. You’ve created a wonderful thing, and a wonderful community. And you’re obviously going to be missed like hell by many, in the Hasek and beyond - I’ll be one of ‘em. Godspeed, Sir.

Posted by Moose Moss on 11/29/13 at 02:14 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Here is an idea, and if I ever have a good idea, it usually comes to me before 6 AM over coffee. Not saying this is a good idea, but Imma toss it out.

Personally, I can’t imagine this blog going away for good. I also can’t imagine live blogging somewhere I had to be all serious ‘n shit all the time.

Full time bloging is a HUGE responsibility and time eater, but maybe we could do something like the Doors did when Jim Morrison put out to sea for the last time. They made an album called “Other Voices”, with the other band members. I never listened to it because Jim Morrison was gone, but that’s beside the point.

Maybe those of us who are interested in keeping this place alive could agree to write a blog post on game days for a week at a time, maybe just a game at a time. Those of us who are inclined could sign up, Paul could create a schedule, we could shoot the post over to him to be “uploaded” ,or whatever you crazy kids call it. He could also keep an eye on content, to make sure we didn’t inadvertently damage his brand.

I have heard all 19 of you rant and rave, and also come up with some great thoughts and observations over the (6-7?) years I have been around. You never know, it might evolve into something cool. I offer for evidence the new format for our “Game Day Afternoon” segment, which Red Menace has put big pictures in, so I actually look at it now.

I mean, the 19 got Herm to Hockeytown. Chief, I think we got this.

Whaddaya say, gang?

Posted by dougie on 11/29/13 at 06:07 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

It’s been a pleasure serving with you, Master Chief.  Smooth sailing bitch.

I’ll leave this right here.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 11/29/13 at 08:37 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

A good idea is an idea that shared by many. I swear last night I was thinking the same thing. One of the greatest things aboot this place is the conversation. The disagreements. The bitching.The way we all carry on talkin hockey in real terms. Red Wings Hockey. I cannot imagine going anywhere else to LB a game.

A2Y is where it’s at for me. It’s all or none. If nothing else it’s worth a try.

Let’s Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/29/13 at 08:52 AM ET

Paul's avatar

I am open to suggestions on how to use A2Y going forward.  Bill has no issue with using A2Y as we see fit, so let me know your thoughts.

The best way to reach me is email since I don’t have the time to read every comment.

Tonight, I will do the live blog so have no fear, A2Y will carry on.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/29/13 at 09:32 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I mean, the 19 got Herm to Hockeytown. Chief, I think we got this.

Whaddaya say, gang?

Posted by dougie on 11/29/13 at 06:07 AM ET

I was thinking a similar thing, and I don’t think it was just because Borderline Fashionista dougie and I are joined at the license plate.

I cannot imagine trying to restart this.  A few of us heads go back 10+ years with these two gents, and George Malik makes three, because not just A2Y, but Kukla’s Korner itself started with a couple of lovable lugs becoming frustrated with a site still known as mlive and knowing they could do better.  Godfather Paul is the consummate professional, mature fan of hockey and honest broker for an unbiased look at the entire NHL (knowing all the time he is a life long Red Wing fan).  IWOCPO, his screen name stemming back over a decade to mlive, is an emotional train wreck of a Bitch whose days and mental keel are ruined every time the Red Wings, or other Detroit team, stink up the place and lose.  He is us.

We could run a roster or ask one person a week to post a rant on the issues of the week if they have any.  Even without,  Paul would like to keep this going for the remainder of the season.  RedMenace’s Game Day threads give us a place to gather, the extraordinary content going way beyond expectations.

We all understand each other throwing temporary temper tantrums (a few of you Bitches seem permanently pissed) here and speak the same language, I can’t imagine this rebranding somewhere else.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 11/29/13 at 09:45 AM ET

Triple Deke Tyler's avatar

Chief,

In case you don’t see it, this is a longer addition to my original comment: http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/11/29/5156144/farewell-to-the-chief

Safe travels, sailor.

Posted by Triple Deke Tyler from Lansing on 11/29/13 at 10:19 AM ET

Forklift's avatar

If you and I are ever in the same city, I owe you at least a tasty beverage. Any my offer still stands for getting you into the United Center so we can get you on the Jumbotron wearing a Wings hat.

Posted by Forklift from Section 315 in the United Center on 11/29/13 at 10:25 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Nice job, Tyler. Well worth the click.

Posted by dougie on 11/29/13 at 10:27 AM ET

Ian!'s avatar

I haven’t commented on here in months, but I have to for this. Thank you, Chief. Your writing both described everything I’ve been feeling during the playoffs since 1993 and helped me feel those feelings more… feel-y-er. This blog represented real fandom to me; not that crap we get from the DRW FB and twitter accounts. And you introduced me to a community of Red Wings fans that I didn’t know existed.

Stress Train, the jersey countdown, the Divealanche… these are all things that will be part of my Red Wings fandom forever. Thank you.

Posted by Ian! from Baltimore, MD on 11/29/13 at 10:40 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Hey Paul, when will he be eligible for your Hall of (Blogger’s ) fame.
Thanks for the great stuff Chief. One of kind vitriol.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 11/29/13 at 11:01 AM ET

Paul's avatar

R28, he has already been inducted, just waiting for the ceremony!

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/29/13 at 11:11 AM ET

Jennemy of the Skate's avatar

I’m not going to lie, this makes me so sad. I know I’ve been a bit of a lurker lately (life sometimes gets in the way of life) but this place is my hockey home and the 19 my disfunctional hockey family. If it wasn’t for the Chief I wouldn’t have any of that. And I wouldn’t have made some friends who I hope to have for a lifetime like my sister from another mister Jennyquarx. But of course, I’m happy for you Chief and wish all the best for you and your beautiful family and smooth sailing and safe travels to you and your fellow sailors. LGRW!

Posted by Jennemy of the Skate from the bar car on the stress train on 11/29/13 at 11:15 AM ET

Twig's avatar

thanks for all these years of great posts, chief. and good luck with your new job.

Posted by Twig from Houston, TX on 11/29/13 at 11:25 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Thanks bitches.  I’ll be around. I’ll probably comment more on live blogs than i have in recent years.  Shit, I still have to order the hockey package this year. I’ve, maybe, watched three entire games so far and that’s disgusting.

I just commented over on WiM, on Tyler’s post—which was hard to read.  I said that I’d be a frequent commenter there, and I will. I also said that I’d be here a lot too, because you guys are family.  I do mean that.  I don’t care if you started reading and commenting this year or five years go, eight years ago…whatever.  Whoever has read our ramblings and decided they’d stay?  They were in. They are in.  It takes a certain kind of juvenile to dig what we do and anyone who does is a friend of mine.

I always tried to say, “we”.  I’ve never felt this was MY blog. It’s been all of ours.  I used to laugh at a lot of the things I’d write because I knew you guys would too. I also used to laugh because I know that Paul would be shaking his head and groaning at me.  That, admittedly, used to make me giggle in my tummy.

I’ll be here. I’ll be commenting.  Thanks for all the kind words.  I do appreciate them, and all of you 19.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 11/29/13 at 11:29 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

I have used the word “redolent” more in the past three years than the previous 52 combined!

Posted by Rdwings28 on 11/29/13 at 11:35 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Hail!

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 11/29/13 at 11:38 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 11/29/13 at 11:29 AM ET

grin

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/29/13 at 11:56 AM ET

Cheers Chief!! Thanks for everything! There have been some EPIC posts on this blog that have had me rolling in tears laughing or up in arms with pitchforks and torches ready to take on the the rest of the league.

Long live the Red Wings! Long live A2Y!

Posted by BC two hander on 11/29/13 at 12:01 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Chief,

Thank you.  I can’t remember when I stumbled into a2y but it’s been a pleasure.  I understand the demands of your new job…more in concept then specifically since you’re in the navy and I was smart and joined the Air Force.  I join the other 17 of us here in saying that the pregame rants will never be the same.  I use to hit the site repeatedly on playoff days waiting to see what was next.  My distaste for blues fans and all things Colorado were never as pure as they have been the past few years.

Calm seas and Godspeed

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 11/29/13 at 12:03 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

//sigh// good memories ...

The Chief, moons ago on “Hockey Night in Canada” feature.

And as spokesperson for some of our heroes.

Thanks Chief.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/29/13 at 12:40 PM ET

Pugna Vox's avatar

It was a rough week for me. Monday I lost out on a project that was all but in the bag. Tuesday I found out my mother-in-law is still the picture of health, physically at least. Wednesday brought news that the sister of a good friend OD’ed for the last time. So it’s probably for the best that I spent all of yesterday in the warm bosom of loved ones and gravy, immersed in thankfulness and gratitude, before reading this last night.

Thank you, Chief, for everything. That sounds like a mealy-mouthed cop out but I couldn’t list all the moments of belly laughs, shared indignation, justified paranoiac delusions, and – most of all – the camaraderie created by Bill, enabled by Paul, and spread worldwide to the 19 via copper wire and 802.11n.

Living in a city where the one fellow Wing fan I’ve met couldn’t even offer a cogent opinion on whether Buckets should have been re-signed or not, this has been my oasis, my desert spring of infantile, crude, rude, and raving malcontents – outrageously and hilariously twisted even when sober (and rarely sober). It’s here because a sailor from Saginaw had the temerity and testicular fortitude to write what he thought and welcome anybody who followed the banner of the Winged Wheel.

While I hope A2Y is, like the good doctor said, “A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die,” there is time to talk about the possible paths forward. For me, now is the time to take solace in the fact there are Real Men doing Real Things under the firm hand of The Master Chief and say the only words that can suffice: Thank you, Bill. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Posted by Pugna Vox from Idiot Out Wandering Around on 11/29/13 at 01:39 PM ET

Matt Saler's avatar

Bill, thanks for some great years of writing and community—the online Wings fan world wouldn’t be the same without your influence over the years and won’t be the same without you going forward. But it will have the marks of influence of this place. Thanks for everything—stay safe and don’t be a stranger.

Posted by Matt Saler from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/29/13 at 02:43 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Could someone maybe get an Albion College intern to collect all the posts about Chief’s departure from around the intarwebz and put them into one place?

Here’s the 3 I know about already:

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/11/29/5156144/farewell-to-the-chief (Tyler at WIIM)

http://hockeenight.com/2013/11/29/godspeed-my-frent-the-chief-leaves-abel-to-yzerman.aspx (HockeeNight)

http://onthewingsblog.com/2013/11/29/another-old-timer-leaves-the-scene/ (Matt Saler, On the Wings)

Posted by Primis on 11/29/13 at 02:57 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Thanks for building and operating this free skating rink all this time. We promise to try not to get too much feces on the walls now that you’re turning over the keys to someone else. Well, promise might be a strong word. There’s still Pinkie, Dater and Douche Canoe to hate on, and once Bettman does something with profile, look out!

Sincere thanks. This is the best hockey blog, bar none.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/29/13 at 03:57 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Chief,
Congratulations and Thank you for your service and for wow, almost 9 years with the Blog!

This was my first blog, and I was dragged into this mess smile  by one of my good friends, and it’s been a crazy, hilarious time for the last 3 years.  I hope it continues…...

Glad to know you will drop in from time to time.

I wish you and your family the best!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 11/29/13 at 05:35 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I have nothing to say.  I simply sit here, slackjawed, staring at my computer monitor.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 11/29/13 at 06:31 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I simply sit here, slackjawed, staring at my computer monitor.

Just like when you visit those Russian farm animal porn sites, I’ll wager

Posted by dougie on 11/29/13 at 07:10 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Geebuz Chief, sorry for the belated comment on your retirement.

Thanks for everything, especially for giving transplanted Wing fan a place to gather.  Your blog created too many great memories to mention, and many new friendships.  Occasionally it was epically hilarious.

Thank you, and smooth seas.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 11/30/13 at 09:39 AM ET