Abel to Yzerman

It’s A Perfect Human Kind Of Day

Paul here in for IwoCPO who told me he probably would not have internet access until Monday.

The Wings face the Sharks today, who are in the midst of a nine game road trip, (they are 1-2-1 so far) and won’t be back home until February 28th.

We do know San Jose has had Detroit’s number lately and the Wings sure want to get that fixed before the playofffs start.

I look for a high scoring game and have a gut feeling Detroit comes out on top.

Detroit will depend on Lidstrom today for their 23 (2+3=5 or TPH) consecutive home win.

It’s a Live Blog, bit****.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 16 17 18

It’s still great work, Jeff.  And there’s never enough gratitudes.

Y’all gonna love this:  Top Ten Kronwall Hits.  Oh, it’s more than ten.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 02/20/12 at 05:06 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

More ESPN Fail.

Here, I thought the Joe was named after a famous boxer, but I guess I was wrong. Apparently, the Joe is named for a kick boxer.

Photobucket

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 02/20/12 at 05:07 PM ET

Lambert’s useless.  An absolutely useless puke.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 02/20/12 at 05:10 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Awesome news Jeff! Always better to read a rescue story than the alternate version.

Lambert can eat a bag of dicks.

I would say I feel sorry for Conklin, but that just wouldn’t be true.

And I must say, I’m actually feeling pretty good about our team at the moment. The special teams’ play is my big concern, the PK more so than the PP. Our 5-on-5 play is so strong that I tend not to worry as much about the PP, but dammit, I can’t take the panic attack that sets in every time our PK units come on the ice. It’s like trying to walk through a minefield, you’re just waiting for the kaboom. Although it has shown some improvement lately, 16 of 17 killed over the past 5 games. I wondered this in a thread on the page about a week ago: I know it’s probably simplifying the issue too much, but could the PK’s struggle have been merely a lack of practice time? Just seems like too much of a coincidence to me that the PK was brutal during that horrible stretch in the schedule, but now that we’ve been at home for the last 6 games and had regular practice time it’s improved.

Just wish the PP would get straightened out too. I find it pretty hard to believe they don’t recognize how predictable they are. Mix it up some, do more down low backdoor plays, shot passes that get deflected on goal from the side of the net. I actually think they should try the play the Sharks used yesterday more, a pass from the right point to a forward cutting into the high slot, and said forward just deflects the puck towards the goal. Marleau got a pretty nice chance with this play.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 02/20/12 at 05:26 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

“Detroit Red Wings Presented by Amway: The Red Wings practiced outside on Saturday and it went exceedingly well. No one was even stabbed.”

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 02/20/12 at 02:49 PM ET

What an a$$hole! He knows nothing aboot Detroit. It should have read,  “No one was even shot.”(I keed). Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/20/12 at 05:41 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

I would say I feel sorry for Conklin, but that just wouldn’t be true.

Yes, but who will plunge the toilets???

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 02/20/12 at 05:41 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Jeff, congrats and glad that lady was OK.

I do feel sorry for Conks, but I’m sure he was grateful for the opportunity and I’m also sure he blames no one but himself.  JoeyMac has been amazing - he won the back up job convincingly.  (See the main page though if you want a laugh - Paul posted an article from some idiot “hockey writer” who thinks JoeyMac stinks.)

I think the Wings are looking great right now except for the PP.  That indeed is way too predictable and ineffective, and I fear will encourage other teams to take liberties because they won’t fear being penalized.  (I did find myself wondering why Homer was on the second unit instead of the first.  Mule can screen but can’t deflect shots from TPH the way Homer can.)

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/20/12 at 05:50 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Yes, but who will plunge the toilets???

After giving the matter a bit of thought, I nominate Ryan Lambert.  He seems to have a real nose for shit.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 02/20/12 at 05:50 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

RedWings have put G Ty Conklin on waivers.

Buh Bye Conks!

Congrats 42Jeff!!!!  A truly worthy endeavor.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 02/20/12 at 05:57 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Joe Lewis arena.  Wasn’t that Grandpa Munster’s real name?

Congrats on the rescue 42 Jeff. Must be gratifying to have rescues rather than recoveries.

Couldn’t read Lambert’s column. They must have taken it down. Wow. Yahoo showing some class/respect?

See ya Conks.We could use a sub for our league.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 02/20/12 at 10:31 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Guys, you should know by know Lambert is jealous as all hell of the Wings and wishes he was a Wings fan.

His obsession with the Wings runs deeper than the BLose, even…

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 02/20/12 at 08:31 PM ET

Nope, the link was just bad.  It’s still there, as it has been the entire time.

Seriously though, you know this is actually Yahoo’s goal?  If you ever read any of their other sports blogs, each and every one has a writer/contributor that all the readers seem to wish would die in a fire, and is widely hated.

Another one, for example, is Chris Chase.  The guy has spawned numerous fan-driven websites trying to get him fired even.

Yahoo feeds off this stuff.  If you truly hate it, refuse to read Puck Daddy.  The only thing that Yahoo will ever listen to is declining readership.

Posted by Primis on 02/21/12 at 12:16 AM ET