Abel to Yzerman

It’s Time- Who Do The Wings Draft At #6 On Friday?

Go with your head and not your heart, which means who do you think Mr. Yzerman will draft, not who you want to see them draft.

Of course, a trade is always an option too.

If you need help, Bob McKenzie of TSN lists (at the bottom of the article) his Top 93 prospects.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

tekjansen's avatar

Assuming Turcotte and Byram are gone, I think he takes Dach if available and if not, Podkolzin.

Posted by tekjansen on 06/20/19 at 11:53 AM ET

BladesOfSteel's avatar

Paul- Round 1 is Friday.

My take is if Byram doesn’t fall to 6 (like Zadina last year), DET needs to take one of the Cs. I’m not going to act like I know them enough to pick one, every expert thinks they’re all great.

If trading down rumors are true, and we gain more picks or good prospect that is close to NHL I wouldn’t be mad at that, ONLY if they get Spencer Knight.

So either get Byram, one of the top Cs, or trade down and get Knight.

Also, take on Callahan from TB for a season to gain some picks. Need to use the cap space to our advantage.

Posted by BladesOfSteel on 06/20/19 at 11:54 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks BoS, I’m lucky to know what month it is these days.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/20/19 at 11:55 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Definitely one of the Centers, probably Zegras if hes still available.

Hes mobile, versatile and defensively responsible.  Has a bit of grit, too.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 06/20/19 at 12:12 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Having watched several of the USTDP play a few times, I would like to see them take Zegras, but the little guy Caufield might be interesting too. Having just watched the movie “The Russian Five”, maybe we take Podkolzin seeing how successful the Wings are at getting Russians out of Russia early…. cheese

Posted by Down River Dan on 06/20/19 at 12:41 PM ET

dreamsofhope's avatar

My best guess, regardless of what I would do, is the Wings take Byram if he falls, otherwise Podkolzin.

Posted by dreamsofhope from Colorado on 06/20/19 at 12:59 PM ET

My guess is Zergas or Cozens.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/20/19 at 01:38 PM ET

I hope they can trade down, since I believe their target is Philip Broberg.

Posted by Crow on 06/20/19 at 01:40 PM ET

Based on who WON’T be available by then, Zegras.

Posted by Squarewheels from The Land of Unhealthy Scratching on 06/20/19 at 01:44 PM ET

Dach or Zegras. No way Turcotte or Byram slip to 6.

Posted by godblender on 06/20/19 at 01:52 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

Zegras (Byram and Turcotte won’t drop that far) or I wouldn’t mind trading down and get one of the next tier of D-men (don’t know enough about those guys to decide) or even Knight. Not sold on Podkolzin. But in Stevie I trust!

Posted by Steeb on 06/20/19 at 02:03 PM ET

Jack Hughes.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 06/20/19 at 02:07 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Zegras or trade down and hopefully grab Knight.  For once I am pretty relaxed figuring that they can’t really screw this up.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 06/20/19 at 02:32 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I have no idea and I’m not going to pretend to know, but I WILL be disappointed if they trade down.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/20/19 at 02:41 PM ET

alukacs's avatar

If Byram is gone, I think we will trade down and get Soderstrom or Broberg. We need D.

Posted by alukacs on 06/20/19 at 03:06 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Don’t know, and won’t pretend to be a better judge of an 18 year old developing kid that professional scouts who actually watch them play, watch all their tape, meet them, their coaches, etc.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 06/20/19 at 03:44 PM ET

To build off what Murray is saying, I won’t pick a certain name as we don’t have the knowledge that these scouts do.

Since the Wings have 3 picks in the 2nd round, I would not like to see them trade down. But if they have a group of players rated the same and want to move back let’s say 2 spots, I’d be fine with that.

However, if you’re picking in the top 10 I would like to see them land some top end talent in hopes that the franchise is not picking in this area again for a long time. I just don’t want to see a trade back where they are picking somewhere in the teens.

Posted by Charles1986 on 06/20/19 at 04:08 PM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

Of the ones I’ve seen play more than 5 times:

Zegras or Turcotte, in no particular order

Posted by duhduhduh on 06/20/19 at 04:10 PM ET

I agree with many in that it’s incredibly hard as a layperson to have much of an opinion. My only hope, having scanned over many years of draft selections, is that we get a player that was underrated, or a late bloomer. Remember Jagr went 5th overall, I believe because of his military conscription( maybe this year’s equivalent is Podkolzin). Alexandre Daigle went 1st overall.  Every year there are players that are sleepers, there are overrated players too. I’m just hoping at six, or wherever, we get a pleasant surprise that looks like a steal later.

Posted by tbuhg on 06/20/19 at 04:45 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

I think Ansar Khan (one of our “deep diggers”) has it about right:  Kirby Dach or Dylan Cozens.

Posted by w2j2 on 06/20/19 at 05:34 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

What will the Wings do? Not a clue.

What do I hope they’ll do?

1. Trade down, but no farther than the #12 pick.

2. Get at least one high 2nd-round pick to go with the 1st-rounder. The farther they trade down, the greater the return should be in 2nd- and 3rd-round picks.

3. Pick Spencer Knight with their new 1st-round pick. He seems to be the closest thing to Vasilevski since the 2012 draft. And he should be ready for the NHL about the time the Wings become a playoff competitor again.

4. Use most or all of their four 2nd-round picks to load up on defensemen. Hopefully one of them would turn out to be as good as Hronek.

But whatever happens, I’m with Poohbah: “For once I am pretty relaxed figuring that they can’t really screw this up.”

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 06/20/19 at 06:56 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

So either get Byram, one of the top Cs, or trade down and get Knight.

I agree. The Red Wings would have had a good chance of drafting Byram, if Bettman didn’t work his magic having the Reed Wings drafting lower than where they finished for the third year in a row. Disgusting. angry

Posted by bigfrog on 06/20/19 at 06:58 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Red Wings. Sorry for fat finger typing “Reed Wings”. Again. sick

Posted by bigfrog on 06/20/19 at 06:59 PM ET

Jaromir Jagr.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 06/20/19 at 08:29 PM ET

dreamsofhope's avatar

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod’s pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 06/20/19 at 03:44 PM ET

Posted by Charles1986 on 06/20/19 at 04:08 PM ET

I definitely understand this, especially when it comes to people getting heated over it. Not at all criticizing your decision not to say (loved your input Charles), but it can definitely be fun to guess (fantasy, betting, etc.)... especially in place of clock watching until the draft…

Jaromir Jagr.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 06/20/19 at 08:29 PM ET

FTW! I wouldn’t put it past Edmonton…

Posted by dreamsofhope from Colorado on 06/20/19 at 09:24 PM ET

PierreC's avatar

i want a big guy..it seems that Dach might be available…but i’d love see Byram still available, could be a surprise like Zadina was…

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 06/20/19 at 09:27 PM ET

I have no ability to evaluate Podkolzin - just seems like
if they really like him it would be a reach to take him at 6,
as from most accounts he should be available a good few to several picks later.

Who knows if f there are a couple guys past the top twelve or so they really love -
Could arguably try trading down with the first pick and then moving two of what would be be four second round picks to to get into the bottom of the first round.

The only things in general I’d like to see valued among forwards:
hockey sense, skill, competitiveness. As long as the skating is or could
improve to average at the NHL That sounds like maybe Zegras?

Or trade down a little to get in their estimation the second best D, if they truly see the ingredients for a top-pairing player.

Posted by lefty.30 on 06/20/19 at 09:50 PM ET

AxeMaster9's avatar

For what it is worth, I believe we have already gotten (and won the draft because of it) our most important 1st round pick.  It happened on April 19th, 2019.  For the second time in history, the Wings got Steve Yzerman.

Posted by AxeMaster9 from Flint, MI on 06/20/19 at 11:21 PM ET

Yzerman said 2 days ago that there’s an elite group of “7 or 8 players” in this draft. Hard to believe he would trade out of this group unless some ridiculous offer comes.
Also doubt he would even consider trade the pick before someone picks Byram. Imagine the fallout if he trades the #6 to Vancouver and Byram drops there like Zadina.

Posted by Dseven on 06/21/19 at 02:57 AM ET

My shit take on the forwards based on nothing more than 5 minutes highlight videos is that Turcotte seems really really impressive, a cut above the others. And then Cozens - who is big and fast and I can’t see a clear weakness to his game.

Those 2 + Byram are supposed to go from 3 to 5 (not as much of a consensus on Cozens). Would pick any if available at #6.

If the scouts think Podkolzin is really that good the 2 more years in Russia shoud not stop Y from picking him. Red Wings prospects usually take this time to get to NHL anyway. What is worrisome is some scouts think he’s been really poor playing against pro.

Posted by Dseven on 06/21/19 at 03:32 AM ET

I am sure the trade with Vancouver will not happen until first 5 picks are off the board so both teams can see their guy is there or not there.

The risk could be to allow your #6 to have 2 very important years for development in another league with almost no control over it.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/21/19 at 09:25 AM ET

Wait until they are on the clock. If Byram isn’t available, trade down a few picks (no lower than #12) and pick best player available with that pick. This is NOT where you pick Spencer Knight.

Now with the extra 2nd round pick you’ve garnered by trading down and other assets, look at opportunities to move back into the lower third of the first round. THIS is where you could grab Spencer Knight.

This creates the best of both worlds. You get an impact player at #6-#12 and get a goalie to compete with Larsson for goalie of the future.

Focus on D with remaining 2nd round picks. You still have to take best player available but if two players are rated near the same and one is a D, that’s the choice you make.

The Wings should have a lot of flexibility with those extra picks. Use it!

Posted by evileye on 06/21/19 at 10:55 AM ET

I think I’ve decided to hitch my wagon to Zegras if available, if not then Dach followed by Cozens. Who the hell knows though, think it’s not a matter of if the top 3 through 8 guys will be NHLers, just who will develop into the best.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/21/19 at 09:25 AM ET

This is my concern. I believe he has the size and talent to be a 3/4/5 pick, but that 2 year KHL commitment is going to cause some teams to pass on him.

Posted by MZ2215 on 06/21/19 at 11:28 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by evileye on 06/21/19 at 10:55 AM ET

I’ve looked at about 10 mock drafts and most have Knight going between #9 and #16. Even Bob McKenzie has him going at #14.

So the odds are that Knight isn’t going to be around in the lower third of the 1st round. And, quite frankly, the Wings #35 and #54 2nd-round picks aren’t likely to get them anything more than a 1st-round pick in the #25-#31 range anyway.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 06/21/19 at 12:06 PM ET

Posted by bigfrog on 06/20/19 at 06:58 PM ET

There are 15 teams in the lottery.  13 of them are more likely to move down than move up.  Finishing 4th worst in the league where the Wings did, the most likely pick you’ll end up with is… 6th.  Go figure….

Posted by EthrDemon on 06/21/19 at 03:32 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I know, but 3 years in a row? It smells. cool mad

Posted by bigfrog on 06/21/19 at 04:51 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

I’d love to see Turcotte or Byram fall to 6.

Since that probably won’t happen, I’m just going to put my trust in Stevie and accept his decision.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 06/21/19 at 06:01 PM ET

I know, but 3 years in a row? It smells. cool mad

Posted by bigfrog on 06/21/19 at 04:51 PM ET

Oh, they’ve been unlucky for sure.  If my math is right, the Wings have had about a 55% chance for at least one top-3 pick over the last three years.  Still, 2017 was the only year they picked below where they were “most likely” to end up.

Posted by EthrDemon on 06/21/19 at 06:04 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Bettman receiving well earned boos in Vancouver. I think the only places he wouldn’t be booed is in Chicago and Pittsburgh. LOL

Posted by bigfrog on 06/21/19 at 08:14 PM ET