Abel to Yzerman

It’s Huskins

Schedule the parade.  It's Kent Huskins.

With their blue line reeling from injury on top of injury, the Detroit Red Wings added veteran depth in the form of Kent Huskins on Tuesday.

Huskins, originally drafted by the Chicago Blackhawks in 1998, has six seasons of NHL experience with the Anaheim Ducks, San Jose Sharks, and St. Louis Blues. In 299 career NHL games, he has 13 goals, 54 assists and is a plus-49 with 169 penalty minutes.

He will be in the Red Wings' lineup for their home opener against the Dallas Stars tonight, filling the spot of Carlo Colaiacovo, who was injured in Detroit's shootout win over the Columbus Blue Jackets last night.

His deal is reportedly for one season and is a one-way contract.

That's courtesy of Clark Rasmussen and the always reliable detroithockey.net.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

mrfluffy's avatar

Do us all a favour and get down off the cross.

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 02:04 PM ET

God damn you Garth! You fuchin’ asshhole! Everything’s a fuchin’ travesty with you, man! And what was all that siht about Vietnam? What the FUCH, has anything got to do with Vietnam? What the fuch are you talking about?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/22/13 at 02:13 PM ET

Hold a grudge much dude?

Regarding what, exactly?

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 02:16 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Red, give it up.  You’re not going to convince those who have already made up their minds that Holland is an incompetent GM, a loser and all in all a horrible human being.  I’m with you, I’ll wait while we get through this pretend season and look forward to next year.
Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 01:58 PM ET

I, personally, don’t think he’s any of those things. What I do think is he’s been doing a real shitty job the last few years. Unless, of course, you count the Bertuzzi re-signing….

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 01/22/13 at 02:19 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Hold a grudge much dude?

Regarding what, exactly?

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 02:16 PM ET

Short term memory loss is a terrible thing.  You’ve been after me since yesterday when I disagreed with you.  Let’s agree to disagree and move on.  No hard feelings on my part… hope I can expect the same from you?

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 02:21 PM ET

You’ve been after me since yesterday when I disagreed with you.

Wow, he’s a martyr AND he’s self-important.

You really think I’m “after you”?  And I’m the one who has to grow up, right?  Make sure to check your rearview on the way home, cal, because I’m probably following you!

There’s nothing for me to move on from because I genuinely don’t know what the hell you think I’m holding a grudge about.

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 02:24 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Okay Garth, whatever you say.  Have a nice life.

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 02:28 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 02:24 PM ET

Dude, what the hell?

Who pissed in your oatmeal today?

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/22/13 at 02:42 PM ET

Posted by RedMenace from the darkest recesses on 01/22/13 at 02:42 PM ET

Calquake did when he accused me of holding some kind of grudge and being “after” him.

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 02:47 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 02:47 PM ET

Worth getting worked up over? On the Internet?

Okay man, it’s your hill.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/22/13 at 02:47 PM ET

Worth getting worked up over?

Who’s worked up?

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 03:07 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Who’s worked up?

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 03:07 PM ET

*reads a few posts back*

*shrugs*

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/22/13 at 03:12 PM ET

*shrugs*

I was answering to accusations of being “after him” because apparently I disagreed with him on two consecutive days.

But I’m worked up.

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 03:14 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Just stay civil to one another.

Looks like that suggestion went RIGHT out the window.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/22/13 at 03:19 PM ET

Looks like that suggestion went RIGHT out the window.

Come on, Red.  Don’t get so worked up!

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 03:23 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Come on, Red.  Don’t get so worked up!

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 03:23 PM ET

I’M *#$%@& FUMING GODDAMMIT—CAN’T YOU TELL?!?!?!

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/22/13 at 03:24 PM ET

Posted by RedMenace from the darkest recesses on 01/22/13 at 03:24 PM ET

tsk tsk, language!

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 03:29 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Garth, <extending my hand> let’s just shake hands and forget this happened.  I apologize if I offended you.  Can we just go back to b*tching aboot Holland now? cheese

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 03:36 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from the darkest recesses on 01/22/13 at 12:37 PM ET

‘zactly

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/22/13 at 03:40 PM ET

let’s just shake hands and forget this happened.

Done.

And I apologize if it seemed like I was holding a grudge or purposely going after you.

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 03:41 PM ET

calquake's avatar

let’s just shake hands and forget this happened.

Done.

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 03:41 PM ET

Thanks, just don’t ask me to “friend” you on FB. cheese
We all want the Wings to succeed.  This pretend season is, hopefully, just a hiccup along the way to Cup #12.

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 03:49 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by

calquake

on 01/22/13 at 01:58 PM ET

I can analyze the moves of my fav team and be disappointed.  Doesn’t mean I think he’s a bad GM, I think he hasn’t lived up to his hype the passed few years.  Doesn’t mean he’s a bad person and I never said either of those things.

And Red, wasn’t trying to put my fingers in your mouth man just trying to infer from your posts.  I dig your redolence.

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 01:58 PM ET

Oh, no, I’m not trying to sway anyone, just attempting to defend my position—no matter how poorly I may be doing it.

I’m under no illusions that anyone on this site can be swayed; we’re a—dare I say it—redolent bunch.

Just stay civil to one another. Ousiders can eat a cock, however.

Posted by

RedMenace

from the darkest recesses on 01/22/13 at 02:01 PM ET

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/22/13 at 03:50 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by Vladimir16 on 01/22/13 at 02:19 PM ET

+19

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/22/13 at 03:51 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

*#$%@& HUG IT OUT, BITCHES

That’s what I like to see.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/22/13 at 04:05 PM ET

calquake's avatar

*#$%@& HUG IT OUT, BITCHES

That’s what I like to see.

Posted by RedMenace from the darkest recesses on 01/22/13 at 04:05 PM ET

Red, you never told me you like to watch. tongue rolleye

We’re all fans of the Greatest Sports Franchise ever.  This was just a minor spat that Garth and I are over now.  He’s a good guy whose passionate about his team like you and I are.

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 04:17 PM ET

*#$%@& HUG IT OUT, BITCHES

I love this place.

He’s a good guy whose passionate about his team like you and I are.

WHAT’S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?!?!?!

Oh.  That was complimentary.

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 04:19 PM ET

calquake's avatar

*#$%@& HUG IT OUT, BITCHES

I love this place.

He’s a good guy whose passionate about his team like you and I are.

WHAT’S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?!?!?!

Oh.  That was complimentary.

Posted by Garth on 01/22/13 at 04:19 PM ET

grin

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 04:22 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

The important thing is Holland has all that cap space to buy disposable defensemen as they break. I wonder if he can them in a family sized pack and save a few $s.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/22/13 at 04:49 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

Nyquist coming up for Sammy I can understand but, signing Huskins instead of inking Billins or Paetsch to a 2 way I just don’t get.

Truthfully, I’m willing to toss this half-season out the window if management uses it as an opportunity to bring up as many from GR as possible and see what talent we actually drafted ... see where the holes are and draft accordingly next summer.

As far as addressing the D issue ... I’m as impatient as the next guy and will continue to criticize Holland & Co. every time they pass on someone I think would have looked good wearing the Winged Wheel.  But I, along with the rest of us here, are just armchair GMs.  None of us get paid to keep notebooks and dry erase boards full of names and stats and rankings of every player around the world.  Holland & Co. do.

They’ve known for years they would one day have to replace Lidstrom, and they have drafted a number of 6’+ Dmen the last few years. We just have to be patient and see who develops. Could they have attacked the issue a year or 2 earlier ??  Perhaps, but we have to remember, they were also counting to Ericsson and Kindl developing into something NHL-worthy and we see how thats panned out.

Because those 2 are enormous flops, everybody is now scrambling to find a guy who can fill the hole while the draft choices develop.

A lockout shortened season is a perfect excuse for veteran players to all of a sudden wake up with a sore groin so we can call someone up from GR.  Its a revolving door season ... a season of evaluating what you have on the farm.

Sit back, take good notes, and have your trade deadline replacement list ready.  The 2013-14 roster is going to look VERY different than it does now.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 01/22/13 at 06:29 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

what’s with all these one-way contracts?  doesn’t that tie Kenny and Babs’ hands when it comes to making personnel decisions?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 01/22/13 at 06:40 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

One ways can still be sent to the AHL, they just get the same money regardless of which league they’re playing in.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/22/13 at 06:48 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

.. and in Huskin’s situation, he’ll have to be placed on and clear waivers before he goes down to GR.  No fear there since nobody else wants him.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 01/22/13 at 06:56 PM ET