Abel to Yzerman

It’s A Tattle-Tale Sound We’re Not Used To Hearing…So Give Us A Break

With only three days left until Gary's playoffs begin, the Wings sit in 9th place in the Western Conference.  Thankfully, that's bound to change tonite because they're destined for two points.  Destined, I say.

Why?

Because Yackub Kindle is playing.  Yackub,. as you're aware, was the 19th overall pick in 2005 and he's been lighting it up since then boy.

He was selected before the likes of TJ Oshie, Home Keys, Paul Stastny, Kris Lefriggingtang, Jonathan Quick, Keith Yandle and Darren by god Helm (113 picks after Kindle). There are more.  And it's ugly.

Brian Lashoff wasn't drafted nearly as high as Yackub. In fact, he wasn't drafted at all so that's kinda low according to A2Y interns and pharmacists in Dearborn.

But Lashoff has been very good.  Kindle has never shown us anything than an ounce over jack squat and rarely even that.

So this is a confused Live Blog, and a little bitter. Because I just don't get it.  It's not just the Yackub start tonite, or even his draft in '05.  We get it.  Draft picks are never sure things. If they were we certainly wouldn't have given away a first rounder for the likes of Quacks Like A Duck but Dives Like An Av.

Tick Tock.  Tick. Tock.  What are you doing? Why are you saying things like this...

"Twenty games," he said during a pregame chat Friday. "Once you get to 20 games, you'll have a read of what you've got, where we fit."

George showed that to us today and that's crazy talk.  So...after 41 games of a season not wrecked by a midget ball-in-the-mouth commissioner, that's when you'd wait to evaluate the team?  Or after 35? C'mon.

If Kenny's serious about winning this year, and he's not and he hasn't been since last trade deadline when he did absolutely nothing but give away a first-rounder in exchange for a whining little girl who still complains about not getting to wear a ring he didn't earn, then he'd be evaluating right frigging now. He'd be looking for a deal and he wouldn't be hauling out the same, crusty, tired bullshit excuses.

..if you're looking to do something, you can only do something if you have a partner.

Uh huh.  We've heard it.  Meanwhile...Lashoff sits and Kindle plays.  For reasons unknown to anyone.  You know, Nick Lidstrom aged as we all do for the last four years of his career.  He came close to winning the Cup, or at least evening Game 7, himself in the last minute of his last meaningful game.  Then? Three years of Holland stagnation.  Oh...I forgot. You're not stagnant when you're moving backward.  How do you move backward?  I don't know.  Franzen? Hossa? Go with Franzen, please.  And then watch him do nothing. Fredo Corleone as the only defenseman signed when ten others went elsewhere, ten others with more talent and tougher bones?

I know.  Not the usual tone for a live blog.  It's just that I'm hungry but the cook says it's getting to rough to feed us. And that sucks.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

stonehands-78's avatar

thanks, Chief.

all i want are two (2) points ... 2, k? no excuses.

a “W”. easy. doesn’t matter how or who is playing. get the win. period.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/29/13 at 06:39 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

LGRW!

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/29/13 at 06:40 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I have a sinking feeling about this blog.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/29/13 at 06:42 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Not as pissed at Kenny as you and the other 19, but I would like to think they at least kicked the tires on Wade Redding when the rangers cut him loose?

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/29/13 at 06:43 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

best thing aboot the game tonight?

turkey dinner with all the fixings. pray the game ain’t a turkey.

got three feeds, do not know if any are FSD yet.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 01/29/13 at 06:46 PM ET

awould's avatar

In fact, he wasn’t drafted at all so that’s kinda low according to A2Y interns and pharmacists in Dearborn.

made me laugh out loud

I hope Kindl shows that rare mix of good enough for other teams to want badly but bad enough for Holland to still let him go.

Go Wings!

Posted by awould on 01/29/13 at 06:46 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I’m not used to seeing Edmund Fitzgerald references until playoff time around here….

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/29/13 at 06:51 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Maybe last game for Detroit while Center Ice is free, bitches.  Channels 8 and 10, don’t know which is the home feed.

Then I have to decide whether to invest $45 dollar into Center Ice when 1/3 or more may be on NBCspurts or NHL network.  I already know the answer, I’ll spring for it.  Maybe.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/29/13 at 06:52 PM ET

awould's avatar

FYI, on Direct TV Center Ice, the second feed is home feed.

Posted by awould on 01/29/13 at 06:52 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Some pregame blood pumping…and yes…it’s ALL Air Force wink

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/29/13 at 06:56 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Evening All!

Agree a “WIN” is requested.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 01/29/13 at 06:56 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/29/13 at 06:52 PM ET

Go ahead and do it, RWB. I did. What the hell, it’s only $45, I spent that in a minute on a round of Patron last weekend.

Perspective is everything.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/29/13 at 07:02 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

I never understood why people pay for the top self stuff. Sure, it my taste a little better. But after 5 or 6, you’re fuched either way. wink

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/29/13 at 07:07 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

i think the d move is a “time to showcase the talent we got on the trading block”

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 01/29/13 at 07:09 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Yes I’ll go for it.

I have tried my best to be the next Raylan Givens but I can’t say as I’ve developed a taste for whiskey or whisky.

I’m willing to keep trying, and maybe the easiest is some sort of nancy boy Canadian blended.

What the heck was that whisky that they brought the Lexington bureau chief last week?  Some $200 bottle stuff.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/29/13 at 07:11 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

ROFL. Love the new pic, NIVO. That’s funny stuff.

And by my, I mean may. I guess I’ve had one to many already… with the way this team plays. But hey, look at the bright side.. Lost.. Won. Lost.. Won. Lost… ?

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/29/13 at 07:11 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

I pluncked down for Centerice.  Worthwhile to see the games without worrying aboot the stream.

I think.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/29/13 at 07:17 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Brew-ners being interviewed on FoxDetroit -  any bets as to how many times his nose has been busted?

WoW

very crocked

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/29/13 at 07:17 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Life is too short to drink cheap liquor.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/29/13 at 07:19 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Showcase what we’ve got on the trading block.

This almost made me hurl as much as seeing Morgan’s ankle turnover during the last Michigan basketball game.  Severe ankle sprains are what convinced me to give up basketball as a young adult.  So Painful once I threw up.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/29/13 at 07:19 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Dougie taught my that.  He’s a high class lush.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/29/13 at 07:19 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

Love the new pic, NIVO

ya ditto on that.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 01/29/13 at 07:19 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Oh, and Chief - -

keep firing the broadsides at Holland,  because there are at least a few of us totally manning the powder magazines

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/29/13 at 07:19 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Ever notice that Brunner and Bert-Uzi have almost the same teeth missin?

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/29/13 at 07:20 PM ET

monkey's avatar

“Twenty games,” he said during a pregame chat Friday. “Once you get to 20 games, you’ll have a read of what you’ve got, where we fit.”

He did not just say that.  Oh no he didn’t.  THAT"S ALMOST HALF THE *#$%@& SEASON

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/29/13 at 07:21 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Showcase what we’ve got on the trading block.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/29/13 at 07:19 PM ET

well i dont believe it either, but from a biz perspective, you showcase it as attractive and sleek, just what your looking for, as a buyer. If you see it from that view, you get my meaning smile

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 01/29/13 at 07:23 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

I’m no pharmacist, but even I have a good feel aboot the relative ability of the “D” corps.

I suspect a great many of the 19 have the same impression.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/29/13 at 07:25 PM ET

ChowYunCat's avatar

My head will explode if the PP is oh-fer.

Posted by ChowYunCat on 01/29/13 at 07:26 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Just found out today that my ex-wife is moving to Michigan from Virginia and taking my kids with her.

To Gaylord, MI, of all places.

I live in North Carolina, so you see how that could be a problem.

So I’m sitting here with 3 different 22s of barleywine, and a couple of Hot Pockets. I’m ready to get fitshaced and watch the Wings wreck the living fvck out of some DallASS Stars.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/29/13 at 07:26 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

My head will explode if the PP is oh-fer.

Posted by ChowYunCat

best get the duct tape ready.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 01/29/13 at 07:27 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Chief, you clearly see this thing as I do.  The 2009 Cup Final followed by a gradual decline ever since, with seemingly little or no meaningful moves to make that one final “swing for the fences” push in Lidstrom’s final years.  I said it last year and the year before, and I’ll stand by it—there was a window of opportunity to win more cups with #40 and #13 in their prime years and the greatest all-around defenseman to ever play the game still playing at a high level.  Choosing to sit on your hands during that time is negligence that borders on criminal.

I can add a laundry list of about twenty other names that you can substitute for Redden, and that explains why some of us feel the way we do about the job KH has done the past four years.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/29/13 at 07:27 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

I’m from North Carolina too!

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/29/13 at 07:28 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from aboard the Crazy Train on 01/29/13 at 07:26 PM ET

that totally blows, sorry to hear that Red.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/29/13 at 07:28 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

that totally blows, sorry to hear that Red.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Looking for a “D” man on 01/29/13 at 07:28 PM ET

Thanks for the condolences, Jeff.

I only get to see them once every other month or so as it is, so this is going to be even worse.

And she’ll STILL get a full 1/3 of my paycheck. *#$%@&.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/29/13 at 07:30 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Damn, Red.. That’s totally Blows.. Need more booze?

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/29/13 at 07:30 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from aboard the Crazy Train on 01/29/13 at 07:26 PM ET

I’m not licensed in NC, and know nothing aboot their laws.  But here in OK, we have what is known as a relocation statute - - it requires a notice and a hearing in front of the family law judge before a parent can move the kids more than 60 miles.

Just a thought

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/29/13 at 07:31 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

FSD FEED

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 01/29/13 at 07:31 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Alright, Jimmeh.. No whifs tonight.. K. Go.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/29/13 at 07:31 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

is the joe empty?!!!

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/29/13 at 07:32 PM ET

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »