Abel to Yzerman

It Might Be April, But The Skies of November Are Decidedly Gloomy

Yesterday I told you it wasn't quite time for Gordo. Today? Lightfoot is knee deep with the rest of you onboard the Hasek.

Serious trouble is what we're in.  Last night offered no hope. It was worse than Sunday only because Boston didn't play as well but dominated the Wings in an even more convincing fashion, and they did it at JLA.

The only reason to think there's even the slightest chance has something to do with biology, or anatomy or some kind of science.  Human beings still play this game. Because of that, and because of Mike Babcock, there is always a chance.

But there is no way in holy hell we're doing anything unless:

-Howard plays better.  Yes he was probably dizzy. And you can blame Pavel Datsyuk for that. It was his errant pass that led to the turnover that led to the scrum that led to the shove that led to the knee to Howard's noggin.  Still, that first goal was disgustingly bad.  It was Fleury-like bad. It was the kind of save a decent playoff goalie makes. It was the kind of goal a garbage playoff goalie gives up.  Am I saying Howard is garbage? No. But I'm saying that goal was a dagger and he should have stopped it.  The goal, itself, was the worst kind of garbage. That can't happen.

-Franzen comes alive immediately or we lose, and then we get rid of him at any cost.  What I mean is, he starts scoring, or he needs to be gone. What I mean by that is, he's the most disappointing Wing in two decades and we need to get rid of him if he can't show any sort of will to score in April. I guess what I'm saying is that he's got about one more game's worth of latitude before he's run out of town. Thanks for '09.  Have fun in Winnipeg.

-Zetterberg comes back only if he's capable of making an impact.  He can't take up space and he can't come back to provide some bullshit emotional lift.  Going back to the Joe was supposed to be an "emotional lift". How'd that turn out?  If there's the slightest risk the wrong kind of hit hurts him worse? Forget it.  I'm not even positive a fully healthy Zetterberg would get us past Boston unless the collateral effects of his return meant Nyquist, Franzen and Datsyuk all started scoring.  That's possible, I know. But not likely.

-Kronwall probably needs to stow the gentlemanly behavior and blast somebody into next week. He should probably do that  really soon after Karen Newman's finished with her song. And it probably needs to be Marchand or Lucic.

-And, most importantly, Mike Babcock should probably think of something super smart. I mean really, really smart.  Naturally, I have no idea what that would be and I probably wouldn't recognize it even if he did it.  But, he still needs to do it, because we're dealing with a team that is more talented, with better goaltending, bigger, and much more confident.  So, just take all that into consideration and figure out a way to make the Wings win.  Easy enough.

If all those things happen, the Wings can win.  Not will. Can.  Because we also need to see some flaws in Boston that we really haven't seen yet.  Specifically, we probably need to see a soft goal, prompted by a horrific giveaway, after a delay of game penalty. Like that.  If there is luck to be had, we need some.

Back to the main point though: if you want to feel any optimism at all, you can look to the fact that we don't know what's inside those empty heads. We have no idea how they'll react to finding themselves behind in this series because they've spent exactly 3 minutes and 1 second trailing out of a possible 180.  If the Wings get a lead, by actually scoring a goal--a novel idea, I know--then happy things may happen.  Go up by 2 goals and weirdness could ensue.

As downtrodden as we may feel, as resigned as many of us are to a series loss, we've been there before.  And we've seen them perform some sort of sick, scientifically impossible transformation almost overnight. It's happened.

Still, that is the north wind you're feelin'.  And it's not comfortable at all.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Colquhoun's avatar

I agree with your analysis, Chief.  Particularly regarding Kronwall.

I hope he was not reading the garbage journalism coming from Boston pre-series, and buying into the notion he plays dirty.  If he is, advantage Bad Guys.

He needs to go ass-first, full-speed into on of them.  We love him for that s**t.  My choice would be Marchand.

Posted by Colquhoun on 04/23/14 at 05:31 PM ET

Primis's avatar

And how incredibly AWFUL one Brendan Smith has been… I just don’t know.  I’m ready to buy him out RIGHT NOW and call up Oullett or Sproul or Lebda or Bykov or whomever.  I continue to see criticism of Kindl and Lashoff (some warranted of course, certainly) but I can tell you right now Smith’s caliber of play these past two games would be considered poor in the ECHL.  Literally, I’ve seen guys outright released in the ECHL for outings like that.

And Legwand?  He’s been so awful even Ray Ferraro called him out.

Posted by Primis on 04/23/14 at 05:45 PM ET

The fact of kronwell blasting lucic into next week is the most hilarious thing I heard all day!!! Lucic fights bigger & badder & yet comes away victorious. Kronwell could absolutely injure Marchand cause he is much smaller though. But is this what the series is becoming?!!! U guys have no answer for the BIG BAD BRUINS SO U ARE PRAYING FOR INJURY?  & what do u think will happen to kronwell? 1 Boston is a team that supports each other meaning they will come to Marchands aide & inflect their own injury. 2 Kronwell will possibly get suspended meaning u will lose Kronwell.. All for what? U have no answer for Boston.
Howard is the only thing that kept the wings in the game till late in the 3rd when Babs pulled Howard. If it wasn’t for him game would of been over in the 1st even though boston did dictate the game since the 1st.
The wings are playing our game. They are hitting & booing lucic which in fact he loves & eats up & gives him the non needed motivation to LIGHT UP his opposition. ..
Zetterberg coming back is not wise. This series is now a physical 1. A man who’s just coming back from injury shouldn’t be thrown into the Lions den
The B’s will target him & hit him hard hit em often.
Franzen is experiencing the same issues every team faces when the play Boston in the ayoffs. Boston has layers man up BEAR down & play responsible Defense behind the BEST goalie in the league.
AFTER GAME 1 I POSTED ALL THIS WOULD HAPPENS AS WE ARE SEEING IN THIS SERIES. HARD HITTING BOSTON LOOK ING VICTORIOUS & the so called SPEED FROM DETROIT DISAPPEARING.
BOSTON IS THE BEST TEAM IN THE NHL THIS YEAR & SO FAR DETROIT ISNT EVEN PRO ING TO BE A SPEED BUMP. ALL U FANS OF DETROIT CAN DO IS PRAY RASK GOES INTO A MISERABLE SLUMP DEFENSE COLLASPS & BRUINS BE COME UNGLUED. BUT ALL THIS WOULD NEVER HAPPEN..  THIS ISNT RASK ROOKIE SEASON. BOSTON HASNT LOST BACK TO BACK GAMES MORE THANK 3 TIMES this year..
WELCOME TO THE EAST WE HIT WE FIGHT & WE PLAY PHYSICAL HERE.

Posted by bbmike5781 on 04/23/14 at 05:48 PM ET

.....hey, don’t forget to remind us that Bergeron is now better than Datsyuk, since they have the same amount of goals….

....there’s no disputing that the bruins one bad-ass team but,  YOU DON’T HAVE TO SHOUT SO LOUD ......conversational tone works well…..

....there is really no reason the wings should beat the bruins….but our genetic memory recalls an 8th seed oilers team spanking a president’s trophy winning wings team in 2006….our hope is that you get to join us in the same type of introspective reverie…..

Posted by dingus from the salty great lake on 04/23/14 at 06:10 PM ET

aerodude's avatar

Hello bbmike,

I know the Bawston Bandwagon is pretty full right now since all the “Die Hard” Celtics fans find themselves with nothing to do in April and have consequently had to find a new sport to soil, but please try and hold onto the handrails and your terrible accent while you learn the ropes with a new sport.

Posted by aerodude on 04/23/14 at 06:12 PM ET

bigdee89's avatar

Please educate me which Lightfoot song it is ?

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 04/23/14 at 06:15 PM ET

WingFanFormerlyInLA's avatar

A couple things bbmike….

I’m sure you’ve been a Bruins fan since way back in 2010, but an 8 seed losing to 1 seed isn’t exactly a smack talking situation.  I freely admit, I gave up reading your post after noting that you write like a teenager texts and you resort to all caps to try to emphasize your point (which generally means people ignore it).

I am impressed that you predicted the Bruins to win the series, that was ever so bold of you.  You get your kudos for that…..

Posted by WingFanFormerlyInLA on 04/23/14 at 06:17 PM ET

WingFanFormerlyInLA's avatar

Chief, if by something smart by Babs, I hope you mean, something to do with piss poor power play.  Its more fun to pour lemon juice onto a paper cut than watch the Wings with the man advantage.

Posted by WingFanFormerlyInLA on 04/23/14 at 06:19 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Unfortunately the Red Wings power play has been terrible the last few years even when Lidstrom was still playing. I was hoping for improvement when Tom Renny came on board, but apparently not. It seems like the same old inefficient structure shooting from the left or right point. The last time it was effective was when Tomas Holmstrom was in front of the opposing goal tender, unless the goal was waived off because Holmstrom’s fanny was hanging over the blue paint.

Posted by bigfrog on 04/23/14 at 06:37 PM ET

I’ve been a B’s fan since 88 89… I have been through many struggles hard times & losing seasons!!! There isn’t 1 thing I have written that isn’t true & is being said from Detroit & Boston reporters!!! So If ur going to stand there pout cry & act tough well then your acting just as the red wings u know ur big bad fast team!! They started the game hitting booing lucic & got scared when boston hit back & often to the point detroit skated away from Hamilton when he got the puck skated down the ice untouched & was able to take a free Shot on Howard. As far as spoiling the sport & a celtics fan… Please will ya. Don’t act like Montreal fans who are bratty dbags & don’t look at FACTS…  The facts are the B’s are the best team. Roll 4 fwrd productive lines 3 responsible reliable Def pairings play in layers have grit plays physical is the toughest team in the nhl & rask is the best Goalie. Detroit is yes a 8 seed but please will ya. They shouldn’t be. They are better than that but cause they forgot to win in the closing weeks doesn’t mean they are a 8 seed. This series is far from over but unless Boston let’s up & allows Detroit to gain momentum plays with their heads up their butt. The series has been over before game 1. & let’s not kid ourselves. Boston stayed back played hesitant & learned how Detroit was going to play them in game 1. It took a remarkable play from the 2nd best 2way fwrd in the game to end the game. The only 2 goals Detroit had mustered up is dats play & a deflection.. So let’s not call me out cause I am a true HOCKEY fan love the Nhl & support my hometown jersey. Therefor I do like Detroit. There are a couple players on this team that I do like but overall Detroit is out of their element playing in the east not to mention in the same division as the Bs.

Posted by bbmike5781 on 04/23/14 at 07:38 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Please educate me which Lightfoot song it is ?

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 04/23/14 at 07:15 PM ET

Robert Palmer - I didnt mean to turn you on.  Just seems more fitting

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 04/23/14 at 09:18 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Bob settle down and eat some Cheetos and have a fresca on your TV tray in the basement. You are only up 1 game in a best of 7. By the way. How many times has Kronner been suspended for his hits? None Richard. It’s pretty bad when Chrara has to take a San Jose esque dive.  Just sayin

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 04/23/14 at 09:40 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Fleury is trying his best to out-shit Jimmy…

Posted by pgoody on 04/23/14 at 10:00 PM ET

Bill from GR's avatar

Fleury is trying his best to out-shit Jimmy…

Posted by pgoody on 04/23/14 at 11:00 PM ET

Still LOLing.

Thankfully, we’ll never have the worst goalie.

Posted by Bill from GR on 04/23/14 at 11:15 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Is it just me or is anyone else enraged that Lucic didn’t get suspended for what he did now that we see the NHL suspending Seabrook and Cooke multiple games for what they did…

Posted by pgoody on 04/24/14 at 12:24 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Honestly, I am very disappointed with the “language arts” on display by Boston trolls in this series.

There is really no shame in having nothing important to say (a specialty of mine, BTW), but DAMMIT, say it WELL.

Posted by dougie on 04/24/14 at 04:19 AM ET

“......second best two-way forward….”

......you must be referring to the one who skated past the world’s best two-way forward, on his way to scoring the most beautiful goal of the post season….that guy ???

....they each have one goal, though…....

Posted by dingus from the salty great lake on 04/24/14 at 05:43 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Before the Wings draft a player they should give him an intelligence test.
Some of these young players have lots of talent, but are just dumb as rocks…and always will be.
The most important reason Lidstrom was so great ... was his intelligence.

Posted by w2j2 on 04/24/14 at 06:40 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Yes, Chief.  The Wings CAN win.  And all they have to worry about today is winning one game.  Tonight.  Win tonight and you’re back in this thing and back in the Bruins’ big, thick heads.

Just. Win.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/24/14 at 08:40 AM ET

-Howard plays better.  Yes he was probably dizzy. And you can blame Pavel Datsyuk for that. It was his errant pass that led to the turnover that led to the scrum that led to the shove that led to the knee to Howard’s noggin.  Still, that first goal was disgustingly bad.  It was Fleury-like bad. It was the kind of save a decent playoff goalie makes. It was the kind of goal a garbage playoff goalie gives up.  Am I saying Howard is garbage? No. But I’m saying that goal was a dagger and he should have stopped it.  The goal, itself, was the worst kind of garbage. That can’t happen.

I went to the Wranglers game last night and I KNOW what that looks like (Wranglers lose 5-1).  The first goal given up was just 16 seconds into the first and the team skated like they wanted to get the fuch off the ice.  Just ZERO confidence in their own keeper.

The first goal in Game Two just shot it in the heart for me.  I can’t watch Jimmy and not have a sense of dread he’s gonna give up a fuching stupid save-able goal.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/24/14 at 10:37 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

i read that as ’ ... Sid Abel goal.’

grin

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/24/14 at 01:01 PM ET

i read that as ’ ... Sid Abel goal.’

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/24/14 at 02:01 PM ET

Now, THERE’s a hockey player who was front and center of the best line in hockey who really made his teammates better.  Thanks, stoney.  wink

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 04/24/14 at 03:54 PM ET