Abel to Yzerman

Is Modano A Done Deal Already?

An interesting day awaits Wing fans on Tuesday.  Much of our time will be spent remembering Bob Probert, while a smaller bit of our attention will be devoted toward wondering if Mike Modano’s final season will be played wearing the Winged Wheel.

It’s starting to look like it’s much more than an “if”, though.  He’s taking a trip “home” tomorrow to meet with Wing execs, because I guess at age 40 discussions of salary and systems can’t be done over the phone, eh?

Mike Heika/Dallas Morning News

“It’s such an intriguing place,’’ he said of Detroit. “They want to win and they can win now. They have great players and a great system. They believe they can find a way for me to fit in. It’s flattering that they think I could help them, and I really want to see if that’s possible.’‘

Don’t stop there.  Tim Cowlishaw, also of the DMN, seems convinced it’s a given.

I think Modano’s better served by finishing his career elsewhere, even if that means coming to town as a visitor in Red Wing red for the home opener.

I realize that’s painful to think about. Consider the number of Detroit fans that show up for Wings-Stars games in the best of times here at American Airlines Center . Put Modano on the other side, and Wings coach Mike Babcock might as well get final say on line changes.

I’ve been wrong, twice I think, in the last four years.  So here goes again…he signs tomorrow.  If not then, it’s only because the Wings are classy enough to delay it a day or two out of respect to Probie and his family.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

WestWing's avatar

I’ve gone back and forth on this one a bit myself, and I’ve said from the beginning that Willie Mitchell would be the one free agent signing that would really get me excited…

But every team in the league likely has at least some interest in locking up a top four D-man like Mitchell, and many of them can offer him quite a bit more than the Wings can, so he seems like a longshot at best.

As for the possibility of losing Miller, Eaves, Rittola etc., and the possibility of subsequent injuries and so on which others have brought up, all I can say is that the salary cap era has brought an element of calculated risk if not outright gambling into the equation when it comes to putting together a team each year, and if Kenny and Co. are willing to gamble bigger than some on an aging star then it’s because the organ-I-zation has a higher standard.  We don’t think in terms of “showing progress” or “making the playoffs” or any of the other standand bullsh!t phrases we here tumbling out of the mouths of GMs of lesser teams…No, no, we think of only one goal each year and that is winning the freakin’ Stanley Cup!

If Mike Modano can deliver us an upgraded of third-line that proves to be a consistent scoring threat, then I think our chances for #12 go way up.  Yes, it is a gamble, and it could go horribly wrong.  But I guess the question we have to ask is this: does the upside of grabbing Modano for one year outweigh the “long term” (although many question just how long term this would be) future of oh say a Drew Miller?

I’m inclined to think it does, but again the price has to be right.  I’ll sacrifice a fourth line forward, but I still think we desparately need another experienced D-man.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/06/10 at 03:28 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Maybe I could learn from him but I’m going to be relying on my fake friends a lot this summer.

Thanks for reading my essay in self-pity, unfortunately for my fake friends it probably won’t be the last.  There’s an intense level of bittersweetness to this whole thing.

Posted by RWBill from The bar on The Hasek. v00x! Hurry up Bitch! on 07/06/10 at 11:54 AM ET

We’re all family here, some of us are just creepy uncles.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/06/10 at 03:59 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

My own alternative to my pro-Modano post above is, in a Salary Cap era the Wings return a pretty competitive group that does include Eaves Miller Helm Abdulkader.  I’m satisfied that if the Wings return that group I’m happy with that, though they are goal-challenged most of the time.

Eaves has a rippin’ wrister, Helm is untouchable, the other 2 I would be willing to let go if it meant we could sign Modano for one year.  It’s not like we couldn’t find or already don’t have replacements for Miller and Abdulkader in the system.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/06/10 at 04:04 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Sign em.  As long as the price is right.  I would absolutely love to see him in the Red and White.

Yup…what he said. Have Homer hand him the pen.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, hanging with Dan Cleary.... on 07/06/10 at 04:06 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Actually yesterday,

The Detroit Red Wings are willing to offer Mike Modano a one- or two-year deal at a base salary of between $1 million and $1.5 million per season, THN.com has learned.

If Modano, 40, signs for one year only, the Red Wings would also be permitted to offer him performance bonuses.

Under the collective bargaining agreement, teams are allowed to go 7.5 percent over the salary cap – which amounts to $4.47 million – as a bonus cushion for entry level players and over 35 players who are on one-year deals.

Any amount the team goes over the cap due to the bonuses can be applied to the cap the next season.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/06/10 at 04:08 PM ET

edillac's avatar

just dont cut away Ritola,Eaves or Abdul

Posted by edillac from isolation on 07/06/10 at 04:21 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

RedWingsFeed
Apparently Drew Miller has signed a 1 year deal with the #RedWings. Details to follow
6 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 07/06/10 at 04:51 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

RedWingsFeed
6 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Posted by HockeyTownTodd from A. K. A. NostraGrampus on 07/06/10 at 02:51 PM ET

I like it(!)

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/06/10 at 04:53 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by RWBill from The bar on The Hasek. v00x! Hurry up Bitch! on 07/06/10 at 02:08 PM ET

... trying to keep straight all the “fine print” rules like this is just one reason I’m not a GM ...

... and in Tick Tock we trust.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/06/10 at 04:58 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

If it makes sense for the organ-I-zation… Kenny will find a way to get it done.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 07/06/10 at 05:04 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

... and for futbol fans,

Netherlands/Holland up one-nil over Uruguay at 35’ mark.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/06/10 at 05:06 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Netherlands/Holland now 1-1 with Uruguay at 40’ mark.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/06/10 at 05:11 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by HockeyTownTodd from A. K. A. NostraGrampus on 07/06/10 at 02:51 PM ET

Very good news.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/06/10 at 05:14 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Modano can still skate… that’s why he’s still relevant in the current NHL even at his age.

I will say that those who have said, “How hard will it be to replace Miller/Ritola after Modano retires?” are right. Ritola hasn’t shown a whole lot yet, so if we let him loose, whatever. And as good as Miller was, he’s the type of player that’s relatively easy to replace.

But the problem still comes down to Draper/Eaves (can’t see them not wanting him, he’s got speed and a wrist shot that is under-used). Is Eaves willing to be #13? Is Draper willing to be #13? Is the club even willing to ask Drapes to be #13?

And that discussion is all assuming you trade Miller and Ritola, or let them go like Kyle Quincey.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/06/10 at 05:44 PM ET

koalacaust's avatar

miller signing just made this more interesting huh

Posted by koalacaust on 07/06/10 at 05:57 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Netherlands/Holland back up 2-1 over Uruguay at 69’ mark.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/06/10 at 06:00 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Netherlands/Holland now up 3-1 over Uruguay at 73’ mark.

Go Dutch(!)

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/06/10 at 06:02 PM ET

Cliff's avatar

Ugh.  I put $10 on Uruguay while in Vegas a month ago.  150-1 odds.  Not happy right now.  Uruguay had their chances but the Dutch have been better.

Posted by Cliff on 07/06/10 at 06:04 PM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

-Nathan

I agree.  Also, once Draper moves on there’s going to be a big experience vacuum at the bottom of our line up.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 07/06/10 at 06:04 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

RWBill -

Netflix streaming now has the epic “Cool as Ice”:

I highly recommend this, also the Freep is reporting we’re “not close” to signing abdelkader or helm, uhhhhh, sign these two guys WAY before Mike Modano

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 07/06/10 at 06:08 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Real_ESPNLeBrun

Drew Miller deal in Detroit is one year, $650,000

13 minutes ago via web

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 07/06/10 at 06:14 PM ET

Cliff's avatar

He also racked up 398 penalty minutes that season. If you really think about that, it’s incredible; He spent nearly five full games in the penalty box,

Someone smarter than me can get a screenshot of Dater’s article.  Lovely math there.    I miss the 80 minute games from the 80’s.

Posted by Cliff on 07/06/10 at 06:15 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Freep is reporting we’re “not close” to signing abdelkader or helm,
Posted by FranzensMouthguard
I read earlier this morning that the reason for the delay was they
were negotiating long term contracts.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 07/06/10 at 06:18 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Netherlands/Holland at 3-2 over Uruguay at 91’ mark ... ?

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/06/10 at 06:21 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

... and The Dutchmen are headed to the finals.

Germany and Spain tomorrow.
An all-Europe final on 7-11.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/06/10 at 06:25 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Damn it Stoney I’m recording the game for later hahahahahahaha.  The Euros look strong this time around.

Miller signed, Good, like I said, I like Miller on the team and Eaves,  and Helm is an untouchable.  I don’t even see how Modano is a possibility anyhoo as we’re intent on signing back all the Four Jets.  That’s not a disappointment to me, but I would like to see MM have a go here.

Someone please put a gun to my head, that’s aboot the fourth time I’ve said the same thing within 2 hours.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/06/10 at 06:25 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

um, ... sorry RWBill.

I could be lying ... oh oh

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/06/10 at 06:30 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I’m past my “Really, you shouldn’t post more comments on the matter.” time, here.  Nearly violating my thou-shalt-not-post-after-midnight clause.

But I have to say, one thing Kenny’s always had going for us is that year-to-year, last-minute grab of an affordable, talented, hall-of-fame player to spice up the year for us as hockey fans, and, more importantly, bring them, and us, the best trophy in the history of any game.

It hurts me to think that people, pertinent people in the hockey press world, perhaps folks close to the Modano family—Michigan families, not all of them enjoying the same employment rates as NHL players, might see all these posts about hot wives and mantras to retire and maybe just be bit offended if they didn’t get our humor.  But then again, these same people know how to play Euchre.  And we all know there isn’t an honest Euchre player on this planet.  Come to think of it, screw you all.

I kinda like the story of Livonia boy makes good.  It’d be a great story to tell when we hoist the cup in a few Tuesdays.  If nothing else, it gives us all something to talk shit about for the next year other than Bert’s Bees and Hudler’s Haircut.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/07/10 at 04:42 AM ET