Abel to Yzerman

Is It April 1st?

You’ve seen this over on the main page but I’m gonna irritate Paul and double post this thing.

The Wings are going to get ripped all over the hockey world for this and they deserve it.  Memo to Wyshynski, the Denver bloggers, the Pens Blog: lay it on ‘em because they’ve earned it.

image

Get rid of this thing now, Mike.  It’s embarrassing and it’s unseemly.  The “virtual ads” on the glass is one thing.  But Amway on a practice jersey is bush league.  It’s Chico’s Bail Bonds in Detroit, and yeah…I know that opens the door.

The Detroit Red Wings are not a frigging stock car Mr. Ilitch.  You’re talking about buying an

NFL

errrr NBA team (I know…) and yet you need money so badly you’d pull this stunt?

Lose the patch, Wings.  It’s pathetic.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >       Next »

Matt Saler's avatar

I approve this messasge.

Posted by Matt Saler from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/17/10 at 01:59 PM ET

Matt Saler's avatar

Er, message.

Posted by Matt Saler from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/17/10 at 01:59 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

ugh…

I don’t care that its a practice jersey, we are not the AHL or KHL, we are a damn original 6 NHL franchise with the best logo in sports and that needs to be respected as such.

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 11/17/10 at 02:02 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

I’ll tell you this: if this shit doesn’t get fixed you’re gonna see a lot of, “the Wings, brought to you by Amway” around here.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 11/17/10 at 02:16 PM ET

BTCBen's avatar

No, no, no…a thousand times no.  I completely agree.  We’re an Original 6 franchise, you never, ever, in any circumstances, mess with that logo shining bright and clear and demanding 100% of the attention of anyone looking at the jersey.  I don’t really care that we’re only talking about practice, this is just so wrong.  Ugh.

Posted by BTCBen on 11/17/10 at 02:20 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

Like “The Bernstein Advantage Power Play”?

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 11/17/10 at 02:21 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

How much does this bring in for the team? I think it’s time A2Y pools cash again (as in H2H1) and buys the sponsorship slot out from under Amway. I’d donate, as long as our patch says something about corporate whores or somesuch.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/17/10 at 02:21 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

“I’m the Secretary of State, brought to you by Carl’s Jr.”

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 11/17/10 at 02:22 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

I don’t really care that we’re only talking about practice

practice?

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 11/17/10 at 02:22 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/17/10 at 12:21 PM ET

Something like “Amway Sucks” maybe?

Posted by calquake on 11/17/10 at 02:23 PM ET

BTCBen's avatar

Haha, thanks for picking it up FrazensMouthguard.  I had that clip of Iverson replaying in my mind as I typed that.  Sadly, I care a bit more about practice and the practice jerseys than I think AI ever did.

Posted by BTCBen on 11/17/10 at 02:24 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Definately a little throw up in my mouth right now.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 11/17/10 at 02:25 PM ET

For the record: Yeah, I can see Amway sparking more than a few jokes. OK, maybe in the thousands. But ads on practice jerseys are fine. It’s revenue for the team on something none of us care about unless it’s about an ad being on them. As long as the Original Six game sweater is spared, I’m fine with it.

Posted by wyshynski on 11/17/10 at 02:27 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Mother. Fucher.

Oh hell no. This is some horseshit right here. Get that piece of shit pyramid scheme logo off my sweater. I don’t give a fuch that it’s a practice jersey - respect the logo.

At least it’s a Michigan “company.” Though if this trend continues, I shudder to consider the day that these jerseys will be pimped by Toyota, Kia, or POS Honda.

Fuch me.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 11/17/10 at 02:28 PM ET

Puck's avatar

Maybe Mike and Marion are doing this to raise money for the Larry Aurie #6 banner raising ceremony…

Posted by Puck from San Francisco, CA on 11/17/10 at 02:32 PM ET

Already posted this on the main page, re-posting here as well.

Well, Amway sponsers the Griffins, and in fact Jay Van Andel is one of the co-creators of Amway and also the name of the arena the Griffins play in.  Corporate issues aside (and trust me i understand all too well the ill feelings for Amway) the Van Andels and Devoses are the Illitches of Grand Rapids when it comes to past and current re-vitilization of the city and community.

Feel free to lay into me.

Posted by Dahrken from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/17/10 at 02:32 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

What’s the big deal?  At least it’s not on the game jerseys, like the Amway patches that the Griffs wear on their shoulders for game crowds to see…

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 11/17/10 at 02:33 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

Are the Wings really hurting for revenue??

I know what I’m getting for lunch, about ten of these:

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 11/17/10 at 02:33 PM ET

Twig's avatar

damn…

Posted by Twig from Houston, TX on 11/17/10 at 02:35 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

As long as the Chief is double posting, I will too.

I didn’t think there was anything that could get me breakup with the Red Wings, but this might do it. Knowing that the Ilitches are in bed business with the (alleged) crooks and scam artists that are the DeVos family and Amway, really makes me question my loyalty to the team.

I’m less concerned about having ads on practice jerseys than by whose advertising dollars the Ilitches chose to accept.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 11/17/10 at 02:35 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

And it’s not like this is the European leagues yet, where the sponsorship patches crowd the player’s name and number…

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 11/17/10 at 02:36 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Posted by Puck from San Francisco, CA on 11/17/10 at 12:32 PM ET

Oh hell yes. +19

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 11/17/10 at 02:37 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

the (alleged) crooks and scam artists that are the DeVos family

Nothing against the family, but Dick DeVos has a big giant alien head.  Seriously.  It’s like Sputnik.

(And for the record, yeah, I don’t think I’d mind seeing a Better-Maid or Faygo logo on the practice jerseys [though I draw the line at the game jerseys], but an Amway one irks me.)

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 11/17/10 at 02:39 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Just… fuching… wow…

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 11/17/10 at 02:40 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Am I the only one that doesn’t give a shit? I’m not thrilled about this, but really who cares? They could practice in pink bodysuits, not like it matters considering John “Goebbels” Hahn doesn’t let anyone see.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/17/10 at 02:42 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by Puck from San Francisco, CA on 11/17/10 at 12:32 PM ET

Brilliant.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 11/17/10 at 12:35 PM ET

Couldn’t agree more.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 11/17/10 at 02:42 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

On an unrelated note I was wondering what happened to him…

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 11/17/10 at 02:44 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 11/17/10 at 12:39 PM

You mean like this?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 11/17/10 at 02:45 PM ET

perfection's avatar

seriously?

why so friggin serious all of a sudden? either this the same kid’s game that we giggle and jump around our living rooms every time we experience a Datsyukian anything or its serious business and we are worrying about specific ad dollars (all corporations are scummy by the way… sort of goes with the territory) and have no business jumping, giggling or even reading proudly immature blogs dedicated to the worship and obsession over a team that plays a meaningless game. is this really the arena to get worked up about social issues? there are many places in the faberic of society to protest corporate sleaziness, choose how and where to spend your money, vote for who you want… but this is hockey and this is the Red Wings and this is my ESCAPE from those things. i just don’t give a crap about this.

question your loyalty to the team? please. maybe you shouldn’t waste your time obsessing over something as inconsequential as sports when there are immoral corporations you could be taking down.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 11/17/10 at 02:47 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

The only way I’d be OK with friggin Amway defacing the sweater is if Mr. DeVos wants to offer to buy us all beer whenever we come to the games. I’ll be just fine with putting whatever he wants on the practice sweaters so long as we can have $1 Molsons on Dick.

Somehow though, I feel like that’s not the case. In fact, perhaps it’s more likely that since Amway’s involved, in order to get an $8 beer, you have to first sell 6 beers to your friends.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 11/17/10 at 02:48 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

No… YOU’RE a doodie head!

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 11/17/10 at 02:50 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Look, I don’t like Amway either, but what would we complain more about, a patch on the freaking practice sweater or if they raised ticket prices again?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/17/10 at 02:52 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

What I’m trying to say is, hate the game, don’t hate the playa. This is the way the whole sport is moving. As much as we’d like to fight it, the dollars always win.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/17/10 at 02:53 PM ET

Due to the fact that I’m an irrepairable devil’s advocate, didn’t Mike Illitch get rich from a pizza franchise?  I mean, isn’t being a franchise owner almost the same thing as a “pyramid scheme?”  Granted, all true pyramid schemes are illegal in the US and allegations of them are investigated.  Where do you draw the line?

Posted by Dahrken from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/17/10 at 03:00 PM ET

Crater's avatar

Could be a matter of time…

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 11/17/10 at 03:00 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

You are all overlooking the fact that the increased revenue will allow them to reduce ticket prices just like the salary cap did.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 11/17/10 at 03:03 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Posted by perfection from Chicago on 11/17/10 at 12:47 PM ET

I’ll remember you said that when the Wings accept sponsorship from Bear Steed’s Power Bottom Leather Cream and Dick Sauce.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 11/17/10 at 03:07 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 11/17/10 at 12:48 PM

alol (TM TDT). Sometimes I really wish this site had a comment of the day. That would win hands down.

(all corporations are scummy by the way… sort of goes with the territory)... … but this is hockey and this is the Red Wings and this is my ESCAPE from those things. i just don’t give a crap about this.
Posted by perfection from Chicago on 11/17/10 at 12:47 PM

Not all corporations are scummy and even the ones that are, are scummy to different degrees. Red Wings hockey was an escape from all that crap until the Red Wings chose to partner with one of the most corupt business entities in America. Amway is nothing but a pyramid scheme.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 11/17/10 at 03:08 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

All kidding aside, I’m not really that outraged by this.

I just wish it wasn’t Amway for God’s sake. It’s like being sponsored by L. Ron Hubbard.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 11/17/10 at 03:12 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Due to the fact that I’m an irrepairable devil’s advocate, didn’t Mike Illitch get rich from a pizza franchise?  I mean, isn’t being a franchise owner almost the same thing as a “pyramid scheme?” Granted, all true pyramid schemes are illegal in the US and allegations of them are investigated.  Where do you draw the line?
Posted by Dahrken from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/17/10 at 01:00 PM

When one buys a Little Caesar’s franchise, one then sells pizza to the general public. One’s success as a Little Caesar’s franchisee depends on how much pizza one sells to the public. It does not depend on how many other franchisees that one signs up. Only Little Caesar’s can sell a Little Caesar’s franchise.

When John Doe becomes an Amway “distributor,” in addition to selling Amway products, John Doe must sign up more “distributors” who, in turn, 1) kick back a percent of their sales to John Doe and 2) sign up more distributors. John Doe then has to kick back a percentage of the revenue from his sales and his downstream “distributors” to the “distributor” above him. That’s a pyramid scheme. How they have managed to stay in business so long is beyond me.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 11/17/10 at 03:18 PM ET

1 2 3 >       Next »