Abel to Yzerman

Is 101 Too Many?

That’s the question Wing fans are asking themselves today.

Did the 101 games Ruslan Salei played in Denver taint him to the point that he’s a bad signing for Detroit?  I have no doubt Tick Tock is confident the back problems won’t be an issue.  Now he needs to reassure us all that three years in that steaming pile of a wannabe hockey city didn’t mar this once-talented redolent Russian beyond repair.

Aside from that disturbing consideration, there are a few other elements of interest here.

Salei (6-foot-1, 212) brings a rugged, physical element to the defense. He was suspended for 10 games in October 1999 for checking Mike Modano, then with Dallas, from behind into the boards face-first. Modano sustained a concussion, strained ligaments in his neck and a broken nose.

What?  He attacked a frigging model. What kind of pansy-ass motherfu…

Salei previously played for Red Wings coach Mike Babcock in Anaheim for two seasons, 2002-03, ‘03-04.

Ahhh. Got it.  I’m all in.  I’m trusting me some Tick Tock and I’m trusting me some Uncle Mike.

Is it June yet?

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›      Next »

Ken Holland’s penchant for lumping Helm and Gator together when discussing contract extensions this offseason

So, because they’re both young and didn’t have the right to file for arbitration when they became RFAs this year, they should get the same salary?

Helm’s played twice as many games and scored three times as many points as Abdelkader and is indespensible on the PK.

Abdelkader hasn’t yet played a full season in the NHL.

Interesting gut feeling you’ve got there.

Posted by Garth on 08/09/10 at 05:00 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I think that comparing Lilja to Salei is a pa-tay-toe, pa-tah-toe situation.

Posted by Nathan from Jonny Ericsson’s ice cream truck on 08/09/10 at 03:36 PM ET

I’m not thinking Salei is going to pull much time on a 5-3 penalty kill?

Posted by dougie on 08/09/10 at 05:02 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Haha, a gloating Kings troll. Now I’ve seen everything.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 08/09/10 at 05:11 PM ET

Twig in Houston's avatar

those videos represent 2 of the kings biggest moments. they’ve been on youtube for almost a year and have a grand total of 1 comment between the 2. dedicated bunch, those kings fans.

Posted by Twig in Houston from Houston, TX on 08/09/10 at 05:12 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

As for what Abi might sign for, here’s an interesting little piece witten about a week ago by a guy who knows him from college hockey.

The two redolent parts are these…

I asked him what he expects to make in his new contract and he said somewhere just under a mil.

...and…

So then I asked him what happens to him if the wings end up signing Modano. He said that he probably won’t get as much at that point, around 800k, but that he’ll be signing no matter what and he’s not really thinking about it cus he’s basically just waiting.

So, maybe he would sign for around $750. That would allow the Wings to keep Miller and still have the $550k in cap space they’ll need to bring up MacDonald if Howie or Ozzie suffer a minor injury. We should know pretty soon now that Salei has been signed.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 08/09/10 at 05:20 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

But…the way this has played out fills me with more than a little dread.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 08/09/10 at 03:46 PM ET

That’s fair… depending on where you started.

If you’re like me, and you were happy to start the season with Hudler back and Kindl in the #6 spot, then there’s no reason for the Modano and Salei deals to fill you with dread. They are low-risk signings, worst case being we splashed a little cap space, it didn’t work, and we go right back to what I was happy with all along… seems like a good thing to try to me!

I’m not thinking Salei is going to pull much time on a 5-3 penalty kill?

Posted by dougie on 08/09/10 at 04:02 PM ET

The most minutes any team spent on the 5-on-3 last year was the NYR, with a grand total of 19 minutes. I can’t worry myself too much over a very very specialized scenario that rarely occurs.

And when it gets down to brass tacks, if the Wings are in a 5-on-3 situation in a critical game (for playoff positioning or in the post-season), you’re rolling Lidstrom and Stuart as long as you can, and throwing Kronwall in if you get a chance to change and it’s an extended kill.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 08/09/10 at 05:27 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Damn, I thought for sure the Wings were defending 5 on 3 for HOURS last season. It sure seemed that way a few games.

Posted by dougie on 08/09/10 at 05:36 PM ET

D4LRob's avatar

I’m pretty sure that stat doesn’t take playoff games into account.

Posted by D4LRob on 08/09/10 at 05:38 PM ET

So, maybe he would sign for around $750.

I don’t think that Holland would sacrifice Miller to give Abdelkader a couple extra bucks.

Abdelkader seems to have a good attitude about it which is good, but he really doesn’t have any power in the matter anyhow.  If he wants to play for the Wings he’ll sign for what they ask him to because if he doesn’t sign for what they want him to then it’s either sign an offer sheet or don’t play this year.  Not that I think the Wings will lowball him or anything, I just think they’ll come to him with a number, explain to him why they’re giving him that offer and he’ll sign.

Posted by Garth on 08/09/10 at 05:42 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

I’m pretty sure that stat doesn’t take playoff games into account.

Considering the Rangers missed the playoffs, I would hope so.

If you’re like me

To paraphrase you, that seems fair.  I’m not the optimist like you and don’t like the thought of us being stuck with a third pairing of Ericsson-Kindl/Janik, and wanted a good solid vet to stabilize that as our top priority before Modano.  So I don’t see it so much as a no-risk move as a calculated gamble…and gambles carry a risk of loss.  If you’re a pessimist like me, it could be a big loss.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 08/09/10 at 05:45 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Oof, I didn’t even click that because I feel sick to my stomach every time I have to watch the damn LA Kings celebrating their Stanley Cup win.
Posted by Garth on 08/09/10 at 03:43 PM ET

zing!  That’s a winner, we can ignore the troll now.

I don’t know about this Salei signing.  I’ve been concerned abotu ABBA ever since season’s end.  I don’t want him to go anywhere, I really like the kid.  He’s scored in a game in which I was present, so he and I have a special connexion.  Of course, Lilja was probably the only Wing I’ve never seen score live…I’ve even seen Brett Lebda score a goal (Winter Classic).

Probably why Burke paid so much for him.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 08/09/10 at 05:54 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

We got a few good solid vets shoring up the top 4, we can’t afford to have solid vets who aren’t a liability in some capacity, that’s why he’s the 6 man and that’s why he’s half the price of lils.  Life sucks but you do the best with what you got, can’t have it all, all the time.  If he doesn’t pan out, we have kindl, if he doesn’t pan out and we need physicality we have Janik (solid stay at home vet, got the praise of babcock last season as being solid while he was here) and if you want more offense you got Brenden Smith who technically is a rookie to the AHL, but played 4 years of college, given his hockey IQ I don’t see it taking long for him to get used to the speed of the pro game, he’ll be up sooner than most.  All in all, looks no risk to me.  Solid, veteran pnt. producer on the third pairing with two others who PROVEN they can score, I’m good with that too, and if he bums out, we have Abby ready to take over.. It’s win win if you take your midol and stop bein’ emotional about it and look at the cold hard facts, you’ll see what the Men here are talking about.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/09/10 at 05:56 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

sorry, 3rd pairing was 3rd line at the end.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/09/10 at 05:58 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

maybe I should proof read before I talk shit

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/09/10 at 05:59 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I have trouble supporting a guy who earned the nickname “Slew foot Salei.”  But I really cant argue with the price or the role.

So long Meech. Better luck elsewhere.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 08/09/10 at 06:01 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Okay, fair enough, I can’t argue on that. The spot where we differ is that I felt like Kindl is too talented to rot on the bench. With Quincey and Meech it was one thing since they had very limited (read: non-existent) offensive potential… but Kindl has excellent offensive potential and very good size to boot—the last D-man the Wings had in the system with that kind of talent was Kronwall, and (if you throw out the injuries) once he had maxed out his time in GR, he got into the lineup with the big club.

I agree that it isn’t ideal for THIS season’s run for the Cup, but that’s what the cap does—it forces us to consider these things about our young players, and I, personally, was excited to see what Kindl could do in the 6 spot for 30-40 games before I was going to beat the drum to sign a veteran or make a trade.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 08/09/10 at 06:02 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Maybe someone already posted this from the defenseman who played against Modano six times per season the last two years…

Facebook Official Detroit Red Wings.  From Jack Johnson’s Web site before Mike Modano signed with the Wings on Friday: “He’s a great guy and
it would be an amazing way for him to finish his career - in his
hometown in front of family and friends, but it would be bad for me and
every other team in the NHL. Modano would make the Wings stronger -
trust me, he still has it.”

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/09/10 at 06:14 PM ET

Twig in Houston's avatar

i can’t believe the league won that case against kovalchuk. i mean, i can believe it like i believe everytime a wings goal is waived off, but it disgusts me.

Posted by Twig in Houston from Houston, TX on 08/09/10 at 06:27 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Take Meech and Ritola out and you have about $1.312M in cap space. At those figures, Abi would have to sign for a cap hit of $760k or less in order to have enough cap space to bring up MacDonald (at $550k) if there’s a minor injury to either Howard or Ozzie. That’s not going to happen, so unfortunately I have a feeling it may be Miller who leaves with Meech.
Posted by OlderThanChelios

The Cap hit is only what is left on the contract, to need 550k in cap space you would have to be calling MacDonald up when the season started.

These arguments about gaffe’s by Lilja vs Salei are stupid.  Most often with experienced D, the screw-ups are made trying to cover for someone else’s mistakes or poor judgement.  The less experience you have on your 3rd pairing the more often the gaffe’s.  I.E. Big Rig’s play after Lilja returned last season.

If you went into the season with a team made up of the top 24 players in the league….you’re position at the end of the season would be due to Coaching, Injuries, Goaltending and Officiating.  Even having the top players in the league you have to be very lucky.  One of those 4 factors has to overcome bad luck in any of the other 3.

I am wondering if maybe Holland is waiting for the Kovalchuk (sp..?) decision before he offers Abby that 17 yr. contract.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 08/09/10 at 06:28 PM ET

Crater's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios on 08/09/10 at 04:20 PM ET

Thats just at the start of the season, right? If it is a few months in, with prorated cap hit, wouldn’t it be less than 550k for MacDonald? What would be the cost of McCollum?(cap geek is blocked by work firewall) I’d think they’d bring him up and let Joey shore of GR for a few games.  Hell they could bring him up to chart, and let Pearce get called up for a look in GR(Can they do that?) I don’t see Kenny Dumping Miller for a just in case goalie call up. Whoever the call up is would never(*knock on wood*) see the ice either way.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 08/09/10 at 06:41 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

maybe I should proof read before I talk shit
Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/09/10 at 04:59 PM ET

No No No !!  We don’t want the bar set too high.

Nathan is all over this.  In a salary cap environment we landed two well trusted veterans with a lot of talent for $2M.  The key concept is low risk at a low cost.

In June the Wings looked like an improved team to the one that finished the previous season as the hottest in the NHL with the addition of Huds and the expectation of better luck with health next season.

To that we add Modano and Salei for just $2M .  Little to lose and potentially huge huge upside with Modano instead of - yak -  Abdulkader centering the third line ( every time I think of that one for one switch I look for
my whacking material cuz I begin to get stiff.  What a bloody brilliant move!)

The thought of having Abdulkader centering your third line is what should have made any Wings fan head to the vomitorium, that would have ensured we were a two line scoring threat and forced the breakup of The Flying Circus for most of the ice time.

And AAA, realize that we weren’t going to get Mitchell anyhoo so the Modano signing is huge potential with little risk….. We bagged both Modano and Salei for less than Mitchell’s price.

Cutting loose Meech is inevitable this year or next anyway

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/09/10 at 06:49 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

What a sad day for the hockey world.

That *#$%@& arbitrator’s ruling has just made it official, there will be no such thing as a “life-long (insetteamhere)”. That fuching little troll has gotten his way again, much to the chagrin of basic logic.

I’d bet my life in the next CBA, long-term, front-loaded contracts will be banned, in essence making it impossible for a team to keep a home-grown superstar. There’s going to be no point getting emotionally invested in a team, because every team will have a complete roster turnover every 3-5 years. Your favourite player’s jersey that you paid $250 for? It’ll be obsolete within five years of purchase, because he will have been forced to move onto another team. Every team gets a turn with the Stanley Cup, pretty much total parity.

I hated the Salary Cap, but I can understand and have come to terms with why it was implemented. But it’s pure, 100%, unadulterated horseshit that the Wings could lose a guy like Wally or Gator or God just because they can’t pay them the same salary every year for five years. If the player is willing to sign for less, and the team is willing to gamble and sign the player for 8, 9, 10+ years, why should Bettman be allowed to say no?

I don’t want my favourtie team, the team I’ve invested THOUSANDS of dollars in the form of jerseys, tickets, and other merchandise in dismantled, just so the pathetic franchises in Phoenix, Bubbaville, Miami, etc can have their “rightful” turn to shine. I don’t give a *#$%@& about the other 29 teams and if it’s “fair” that the Wings have made the playoffs 19 consecutive seasons. You don’t punish someone for being too god at their job, you reward their excellence.

*#$%@& you Gary Bettman, you arrogant, smary, disgusting piece of shit.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 08/09/10 at 06:53 PM ET

See, I don’t neccesarily think he’ll riot.  I can easily see the three of them basically on a rotation.  Kindl and Ericsson will each get to play with a veteran who can help them out and they’ll also get to play with each other.  I, for one, would rather the option of bringing Kindl in gradually without the pressure of “if you fail, we’re fuched”, which is sort of what happened with Ericsson last year.

This year if Kindl or Ericsson falter then we’ll have a capable NHL defenseman who can carry the load rather than Derek Meech, and if Kindl & Ericsson both play themselves into regular rotation, who cares about Salei, he’s just a body we brought in for three quarters of a mill?

Posted by Garth on 08/09/10 at 06:58 PM ET

Twig in Houston's avatar

Posted by Alzy from Innisfail, Alberta, Canada on 08/09/10 at 05:53 PM ET

+7 million per year

Posted by Twig in Houston from Houston, TX on 08/09/10 at 06:59 PM ET

Why not?

Steve Yzerman spent his entire career with one team without the need for a contract like Kovy/Luongo/Hossa/Zetterberg.

So did Mario Lemieux.

So could have Ray Bourque if he wanted to.

Oh, and how was this contract going to make Kovalchuk a lifelong Devil?  They weren’t his first NHL team.

Posted by Garth on 08/09/10 at 07:05 PM ET

calquake's avatar

*#$%@& you Gary Bettman, you arrogant, smary, disgusting piece of shit.
Posted by Alzy from Innisfail, Alberta, Canada on 08/09/10 at 05:53 PM ET

While I wholeheartedly agree with you… remember, dickface (Lil’ Gary) is the voice of the majority of the owners.  Anything he does is on the behalf of the owners, with their implicit approval.  By all means, hate the messenger but understand Lil’ Gary is paid 7 mil for a reason.  He gets to be the lightning rod for all the sh*t that should be thrown the owners way.

Posted by calquake on 08/09/10 at 07:05 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

one word:

Thanks, Gary. Ass.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 08/09/10 at 07:15 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Posted by Garth on 08/09/10 at 06:05 PM ET

Yzerman, Lemieux and Bourque are all before the cap. The Wings could sign Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov, Lidstrom, etc to 8,9, 10 million a year deals because they could afford to. In the pre-cap world, as long as you could afford it, anything and everything was fair game. That’s hwy I said that I understand and accept the Cap, because it’s made it impossible for the same 5 or 6 teams to sign all the big-name talent (IE Detroit, Toronto, NYR, Philly, Colorado and to a lesser extent St. Louis and Dallas). To put it in today’s context, could you imagine what the Wings would look like if they had to pay Hank, Mule, Dangle, TPH, etc all what they’re really worth? We’d have close to $50 million tied to six or seven players.

And I realize Kovalchuk in particular wouldn’t be a life-long Devil. But guys like Hank, Mule, Rosby, Malkin, Toews, 20 cents, etc are life-long players to one team. Or at least they should be. Hank and Mule love playing in Detroit, rosby and geno love playing with the Pens, Toews and 20 cents love playing in Chicago. If the owners want to keep them there, and still ice a Cup-contending team every year, why shouldn’t they be allowed to? These long-term contracts are realistically speaking, the only way for teams to keep a good core together for a very long time, like 10+ years.

Cal, I agree with you that it should be the owners who get their share of the shit thrown their way. But half of those owners own a team that shouldn’t be in the NHL anyways, so I despise them and their unholy leader both.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 08/09/10 at 07:22 PM ET

They aren’t AT ALL.

Let’s look at Hank, Mule, Crosby, Malkin, Toews and Kane.  How many of those guys are on contracts like that?

Kane & Toews have contracts that only fluctuate 500K from any given year to the next.
Crosby’s and Malkin’s both only fluctuate by $1.5M from any given year to the next.

So, four of the six players you mentioned don’t have contracts with any great amount of different from year to year, and most people agree that Zetterberg’s and Franzen’s are, at the very least, the most reasonable of these front-loaded contracts.

And I’ll add in another: Ovechkin makes $9M a year for six years and then $10M a year for the rest of his contract.

Heavily front-loaded deals aren’t the only way for players to play their entire careers for one team.

Ovechkin, Crosby and Malkin are all getting paid franchise-player contracts and it’s very, very easy to imagine that all three of them will be lifelong players for the Caps and Pens respectively.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I think this ruling is absolutely ridiculous and wrong, I just disagree with your statement.

Posted by Garth on 08/09/10 at 07:45 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Belarus… is Detroit a Seven Nation Army or am I nuts?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/09/10 at 07:53 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I must say, I’m disappointed that Rick Dipietro won’t be signing a 37-year extension…

Posted by Primis on 08/09/10 at 08:04 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Ruslan Salei…fresh off 101 games for the Denver Dive…destined to be known as Ruslan Salei and the 101 Damnations…the Belarusian Pylon…aka Pylon 2.0…a slow-footed, unconcussed slew-footer, same as the Swedish Pylon only cheaper than his predecessor, and someone who just might make Big Rig better in the same way that Lilja did late last season as Gramps and others have alluded to…

So now we have a pretty good idea of how this team is going to look and really, under the salary cap, I’m not sure we could have asked for much more.  Just remember that Jonathan Ericsson still has enormous potential in this league, and that if Salei can help solidify him in any way, and if signing Willa’s teeth proves to be the catalyst that gives us a third scoring line (and by extension makes both the top lines and the fourth line just that much better), then we’ll all be on our knees praising Kenny for bringing us all this, in the salary cap era no less, for a cool $2 mill. cap hit.

All any of us could have realistically hoped for this off season was a way to bring in more scoring depth, to find a veteran presence on the blue line in hopes of stabilizing the no.3 pairing, and somehow find a way to hang on to Miller, Eaves, Abby and Helm.  I frankly doubted it could be done under the cap constraints we were looking at, so hell I feel pretty okay about the way things have unfolded and ain’t about to get all redolent and red-assed about this.

Bring on October!!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 08/09/10 at 08:07 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I can’t wait to see Kindl get some minutes and find his groove in this league. But, the fact is he and Ericsson play too similar a style game. Together, they would be disastrous… worse than Meech or Janek would be with Ericsson. Meech is also more of an offensive guy, so he’s not a great option, but at least he has more experience than Kindl.

I think for a risk taking, offensive d-man like Big Rig, it is crucial he is paired with a stay at home guy, preferably a veteran for probably the first half of his NHL career. It’s HUGE. The hardest adjustment for a guy like him to make is getting used to the incredible upgrade in speed and finding CONFIDENCE. Ericsson needs to be confident that every time he tries to step up into the action, it won’t cost us a goal if it doesn’t work. A guy like Lebda or an even less experienced Kindl is just the worst possible support for making that happen. Again, Ericsson was in a “slump” most of last season and then magically “stepped up his game” down the home stretch. Geez, I wonder if that coincided with anything else? (Lilja’s return for the trolls that don’t know what I’m talking about).

I think Kindl will get some minutes - I mean we’re bound to lose Kronwall for 5+ weeks at some point, right? But, Ericsson will make him look horrible and he will make Ericsson look horrible. Those two could very well find some chemistry several years down the line, but they need a defensive anchor to allow them to find their way in the NHL and gain the confidence that is necessary for success. It’s why this Salei signing is so damn big. Sure, maybe he’s not a top 4 guy, but we’re paying him scraps and it’s leaving us a bit of wiggle room to operate throughout the season. He will probably take some bad penalties and he’ll probably turn it over here and there. But the fact is, this guy has played 20+ minutes a game for a lot of years and he plays a style of hockey that will pair with Ericsson beautifully. It’s not about Ericsson LEARNING from his partner (he’ll be practicing with Lidstrom every day and can learn then), it’s about pairing him with someone that allows him to play his style with confidence. That’s what this signing is all about.

Kindl is 23 years old and will have PLENTY of time to get on the ice. As much as we are eager to see what the hype’s been about for the last 5 years or so, he needs to learn the ropes and let it happen organically. Forcing him out there paired with another young inexperienced offensive D-Man is just not the way to do it. Hiring Chelios for “player development” is a lot better strategy IMO.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 08/09/10 at 08:32 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Posted by Garth on 08/09/10 at 06:45 PM ET

What I’m saying is, they are if you want to have a competitive, Cup-contending team year after year. Hell, just look at Chicago. Even though the Hossa deal was a good way to get a great player at a lowered cap hit, they have over $54 million tied to just TEN players. Now this also has to do with Stan Bowman and dale Tallon being idiots, but imagine applying this to the Wings’ situation.

Those ten players I identified for Chicago are Kane, Toews, Hossa, Bolland, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Hjalmersson and Huet. The comparable 10 on the Wings would be Dangle, Hank, Mule, Hudler, Wally, TPH, Raffy, Kronner, Stuart and Ozzie. If the Wings weren’t allowed to sign Hank and Mule to their respective deals, their deals would’ve been maybe only five years, but it would be 7.5 per for Hank, and 5 million per for Mule. Or in the future, when we have to resign Kronner and Stuart, will we be able to sign them for 7 or 8 years at a lowered cap hit, somewhere around 3.5-4 million per? Or will we be forced to give them 6 million per every year? The Wings could very well have been in the Hawks’ situation had it not been for the ability to lower the cap hit.

It may all sound like hogwash, but the point I’m trying to get at, is I believe this ruling will lead to the elimination of long-term, fluctuating contracts. I believe a term limit of probably 5 years will be imposed, and the salary will have to be the same every year through the duration of the contract. So it’s either going to be a player has to sign for a LOT less than his market value (and thereby piss off the NHLPA/agents), or teams are going to be forced to let go players they’ve developed into good, very good, or even elite players.

This ruling just made me very afraid for the summer of 2012. Kronwall and Stuart are both UFAs, and will likely be worth at least $5 million per. a 60 point D-man and 30 point grinding physical D-man? Kronner could probably get 7 million easy, and Stuart maybe 6. Could the Wings afford that, and still ice a Cup-contender? No chance in hell. BUT, if they could sign them both to long-term, front-loaded deals so the cap hit is only around 4 million per, then they can keep them both and still ice a Cup contender.

I really hope the players and big-market owners unify and take a stand in the next CBA negotiations, because this catering to the small market teams that have no business being in the league has got to stop.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 08/09/10 at 08:36 PM ET

Posted by Alzy from Innisfail, Alberta, Canada on 08/09/10 at 07:36 PM ET

OK fine, so what you’re really arguing against is a salary cap.

Posted by Garth on 08/09/10 at 08:46 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The problem with the decision is that it gives the league vague leeway to play favorites.  Without black-and-white written rules about what is and isn’t a violation, how do we know by how much the Kovy contract violated rules?

It’s the same shit as the player suspension shit.  The rules are vague and the way they’re enforced don’t make sense.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/09/10 at 08:48 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/09/10 at 07:48 PM ET

WORD

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 08/09/10 at 09:04 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

OK fine, so what you’re really arguing against is a salary cap.
Posted by Garth on 08/09/10 at 07:46 PM ET

No, I’m not. The cap isn’t the issue. What I’m arguing against, is the elimination of long-term, front-loaded deals. I want the Detroit Red Wings to be able to keep all the talent they wish to keep, by any means necessary. I said before, I don’t give a rat’s ass about the other 29 teams, I want my team to be able to be the best every year. Ken Holland is a genius, but even he has his limits, and I believe if these types of deals are banned, I believe even he won’t be able to put together a Cup-contending team every season.

In a cap world, these types of deals are, realistically speaking, the only way for a team to keep a core of 14-16 players together for an extended period of time. You can’t pay everyone 5 million plus a season, and your elite players $7 million+, not unless the cap goes up drastically to near NFL-levels. So these deals are pretty much the only way for a team to be kept together. Otherwise, you get a situation like Chicago (although as I said, that’s also due to idiotic management).

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 08/09/10 at 09:27 PM ET

perfection's avatar

totally… the ruling was in favor of all out league subjectivity.

I don’t think they will limit terms in the next CBA, I think they will adjust how the cap number is derived. I’ve actually heard/read something that said one idea is the cap hit will be the average of the three most expensive years or something like that. Then you can sign them for as long as you want, you just can’t do the front end loading thing.

Then the league can say if you want Kovi to have an 8+ mil cap hit a year when he’s 40, well, by all means, go right ahead.

Anyway - I of course agree that this is ludicrous. But, I think the hard salary cap is ludicrous too. I think some teams SHOULD be better than others. I think dynasties create rivalries, create national/international fanbases, creates a healthy foundation for the game. If all the teams simply become equal interchangeable parts that turn over every few years, the league is in for a pretty uninspiring future.

With all that said, I feel like diehard Red Wings fans really can’t even have this discussion objectively. I mean, who here is against the idea of hockey dynasties? raise your hands. Yeah… exactly. We ARE the dynasty. The cap was designed to take US down (and Jersey and a few other teams). Plain and simple. So of course we don’t like it. And any action by the league to push for a more extreme interpretation of the CBA/Cap is, albeit indirectly this time, directed right square at us.

And yet… our team is essentially the same, give or take a few 3/4 liners, as the ‘08 cup winning team. Kenny is magic and has so far won the duel with the league. But, and not to get to grim here, I fear all of that changes when Lidstrom retires. Not that we will of a sudden be out of the playoffs or something, but I think we slowly stop EXPECTING to win the cup each year only to be crushed when we don’t. I’m dreading that day.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 08/09/10 at 09:29 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Late to the party, as usual….but what this all seems to point to…the Salei signing….

Farewell Kirk Maltby.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 08/09/10 at 11:27 PM ET

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›      Next »