Abel to Yzerman

Is 101 Too Many?

That’s the question Wing fans are asking themselves today.

Did the 101 games Ruslan Salei played in Denver taint him to the point that he’s a bad signing for Detroit?  I have no doubt Tick Tock is confident the back problems won’t be an issue.  Now he needs to reassure us all that three years in that steaming pile of a wannabe hockey city didn’t mar this once-talented redolent Russian beyond repair.

Aside from that disturbing consideration, there are a few other elements of interest here.

Salei (6-foot-1, 212) brings a rugged, physical element to the defense. He was suspended for 10 games in October 1999 for checking Mike Modano, then with Dallas, from behind into the boards face-first. Modano sustained a concussion, strained ligaments in his neck and a broken nose.

What?  He attacked a frigging model. What kind of pansy-ass motherfu…

Salei previously played for Red Wings coach Mike Babcock in Anaheim for two seasons, 2002-03, ‘03-04.

Ahhh. Got it.  I’m all in.  I’m trusting me some Tick Tock and I’m trusting me some Uncle Mike.

Is it June yet?

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

RWBill's avatar

Hey! I just posted that on the previous thread.

Let’s hope playing for the AHL franchise in DEN didn’t dilute his talent too far.
____________

____________________________________________________

Is this another “can’t we all just get along” ploy by Holland similar to putting Bertuzzi and Chelios on the same team?

For $750,000 this is not a bad deal at all.

This presumes that the Wings have confidence that his back will allow him to play?  Otherwise this would be too big a risk.

Posted by RWBill from Mike Modano’s dentist. on 08/09/10 at 01:49 PM ET

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 08/09/10 at 03:51 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Messed up timestamp, Chief.

I don’t know what to think of this signing.  In Tick Tock we trust, as well as Uncle Mike, no doubt.

BUT… it is hard to wash the stench of rancid sperm that every Dive uniform has embedded into the fabric.  Also getting Darren Garcia’s lipstick off the collar is a bitch also.

Of all the teams, why did it have to be a Vagalanche player?

Excuse me, I’m going to be sick and then cut myself.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 08/09/10 at 03:52 PM ET

VooX's avatar

From previous thread:

I like the Salei pickup.
On a side note, I like how Kenny lured us all in with the Willie Mitchell talk and then brought in a guy we hadn’t even considered.  Very redolent of the Brunnstrom/Leino dealings.
Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/09/10 at 01:45 PM ET

That is why Tick Tock is a wizard.  All magic depends upon misdirection.

Tick Tock had us chasing our willies and pulled another rabbit out of his hat.

Meanwhile, Khan(!) is still muttering about Lukas Krajicek.  I heard that he got that lead while visiting a men’s bath house.  He really had to dig deep to get the most out of that source.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 08/09/10 at 03:57 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Well, I always trust in Kenny. But the fact that Uncle Mike signed off… that removes any doubts I had. I look forward to seeing what he can bring.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 08/09/10 at 03:57 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by SK77 on 08/09/10 at 03:58 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Posted by VooX

Kahn has completed the trio (Larry King, Drew Sharp) of media to ignore.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 08/09/10 at 04:00 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I approve of the Salei pick-up. We always can use more D and, he is a mean SOB to boot.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 08/09/10 at 04:01 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Another thought… Salei’s best performances were arguably with Uncle Mike as his coach… and I’m sure Babbles has all sorts of wonderful pep talks to give Ruslan:

“Hey Ruslan, remember when I stayed out and watched the Devils celebrate beating us? Did you watch that too?”

“Hey Ruslan, I won a Cup with this team, but you were languishing in hockey hell instead.”

“Hey Ruslan, please be like Dallas Drake, but on D.”

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 08/09/10 at 04:04 PM ET

Osrt's avatar

Posted by some kid

That is exactly who I thought of too. Forgot he won a Cup though.

Posted by Osrt on 08/09/10 at 04:07 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

$750K versus Lilja asking for $1.5 mil and St. James says that Babcock sold Salei on coming to Detroit.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/09/10 at 04:08 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Screw who he played for.

Fact is he sucks, has worse puck skills than Lilja, and the same propensity for making really dumb plays at really bad times.

I now hate Modano even more.

Posted by Primis on 08/09/10 at 04:08 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

For $750K adding an experienced DMan who can be a major irritant and distraction to play against, letting Lidstrom and Kronwall and Rafalski run on other shifts, is a pretty darn good pick up…...  if healthy back.

I will trust Tick Tock and Uncle Mike.  Again, this is a team that scouts other players all season long.  Things that appear knee-jerk to us are usually well researched in advance.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 08/09/10 at 04:09 PM ET

GrahamWIIM's avatar

Salei said that he enjoyed playing for Babcock, which is a big deal. Given Mike’s reputation as being a bit of a hard-ass, anyone who actually enjoys playing that in environment is going to be a good fit. Hell, we won a Cup after trading for Jiri Slegr, so I guess Salei isn’t that bad.

I gotta agree with Voox, though; anytime someone has worn those ugly Dive sweaters, it’s like a permanent stain has permeated his very soul. Rest assured that the first time he messes up in a game, my first thought will be “He probably learned that dick move in Colorado”.

Posted by GrahamWIIM from Chicago via Toronto on 08/09/10 at 04:10 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I now hate Modano even more.
Posted by Primis on 08/09/10 at 02:08 PM ET

I appreciate your comments.  I will weigh them against the opinions of Babcock, Nill, and Holland and come to my own conclusion.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 08/09/10 at 04:11 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

We replaced a pylon with a cheaper, meaner pylon.

If his back holds up, I’m looking forward to his playoff contributions.  Pylons get away with more holding and interference in the postseason. *cough Hal Gill cough*

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/09/10 at 04:14 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Kahn has completed the trio (Larry King, Drew Sharp) of media to ignore.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd from A. K. A. NostraGrampus on 08/09/10 at 02:00 PM ET

You can make a more comprehensive list to ignore.  Some names I would add to my media blackout list:

Hockey Media Blackout:

Glenn Beck / Bill O’Reilly / Sean Hannity / every other Roger Ailes sock-puppet
Rush Limbaugh
Oprah Winfrey
Laura Schlessinger
Geraldo Rivera

/semi-political rant

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 08/09/10 at 04:14 PM ET

Twig in Houston's avatar

101 games in the dive? how the fuch is his jersey not retired there yet?

Posted by Twig in Houston from Houston, TX on 08/09/10 at 04:14 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Screw who he played for.

I now hate Modano even more.

Posted by Primis on 08/09/10 at 02:08 PM ET

That’s a little harsh. I’d say that this is basically the same player as Lilja, for half the money.

Problem is expectations are unfair—too many people want Kenny to turn $1 million or less into a D-man with top four ability… just not going to happen.

If you reset your expectation to be more realistic—find a solid bottom-pairing D-man to stay at home with Ericsson—then the deal looks good. Lilja would’ve fit just fine, but why not sign an identical player with half the salary demands…

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 08/09/10 at 04:14 PM ET

Animal Drew's avatar

Defenseman with a mean streak who has a bad back?  Sounds like Uwe Krupp to me too.  I wonder how Salei feels about dog sledding…

Posted by Animal Drew from A Nightmare on Helm Street on 08/09/10 at 04:15 PM ET

GrahamWIIM's avatar

We replaced a pylon with a cheaper, meaner pylon

Exactly. He may give up the puck or make a mistake, but Lilja would have done the same thing. I’m surprised to find myself a little sad that Lilja won’t be back, but Salei is at worst a lateral move in terms of on-ice skills, and an upgrade in terms of his cap hit.

Posted by GrahamWIIM from Chicago via Toronto on 08/09/10 at 04:16 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

The price is dirt cheap(shot), 1/2 a Pylon.  If his back is jacked up LTIR doesn’t count against the cap.

Posted by some kid on 08/09/10 at 01:58 PM ET

Alol (tm TDT).

The braintrust is smarter than I am, still these are some strange limbs they are climbing out onto.

An aside, my Dad is out of of the ICU today, thank goodness.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 08/09/10 at 04:17 PM ET

Animal Drew's avatar

I’d say that this is basically the same player as Lilja, for half the money.
Posted by Nathan

Don’t forget the fact that Salei isn’t one hit to the noggin away from shaking like a leaf on a tree for the rest of his life.

Posted by Animal Drew from A Nightmare on Helm Street on 08/09/10 at 04:17 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I hope we all remember what happened the last time the Wings acquired a veteran European defenseman who had previously played for the Quebec Nordique West franchise??

Uwe Krupp .....anybody….......

I hope Holland verified this guy is Not into Sled Dog Racing?????

Posted by Down River Dan on 08/09/10 at 04:18 PM ET

Twig in Houston's avatar

i would be much more excited about this if i hadn’t been teased with mitchell for the last week.

Posted by Twig in Houston from Houston, TX on 08/09/10 at 04:19 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Oh, St. James forgot to add something to the Salei story:

The Red Wings have shored up their defense with the addition of veteran Ruslan Salei, a former first-round pick.

AND he once scored 50 goals in juniors.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 08/09/10 at 04:20 PM ET

GrahamWIIM's avatar

I would bet dollars to donuts that the Wings talked a lot with Willie, but he was just too expensive.

Posted by GrahamWIIM from Chicago via Toronto on 08/09/10 at 04:20 PM ET

Sure he played for the Dive, but he was traded to them, he didn’t choose to play for them.

Posted by Garth on 08/09/10 at 04:21 PM ET

VooX's avatar

I now hate Modano even more.
Posted by Primis on 08/09/10 at 02:08 PM ET

Posted by RWBill from Mike Modano’s dentist. on 08/09/10 at 02:11 PM ET

I see what you did there.

Posted by RWBill from Mike Modano’s dentist. on 08/09/10 at 02:09 PM ET

According to Capgeek, the updated numbers leave us right up against the cap, without having signed Abdelkader, Miller, Maltby.

Nevermind that, though, as we all know the Wings have the best roster and cap management in all of sports.

I think this signing also sends a strong message to our young defenceman fighting for a roster spot.  After hearing news of Willie Mitchell, who would certainly be our #6 d-man, this signing gives our young prospects a chance to crack the 3rd defensive pairing.

By getting him onboard for such a low number, Tick Tock is sending a message to the young guns that he won’t trade everybody just for a free-agent to join the roster.  Also, Tick Tock must be sending some hope to the young defencemen that there is room on our roster for them if they play well.

I could see Ruslan in rotation all year in and out of the 3rd pairing and the press box.  Save his back and his mean-streak for the playoffs when, as JJ pointed out, defencemen are allowed more leeway in applying Pronger-Fissix by the refs.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 08/09/10 at 04:26 PM ET

Animal Drew's avatar

And the pun parade starts already on Twitter:

JJfromKansas - What’s that Hawaiian flower thingy around your neck, Ruslan? - It Salei.

Liam from Babcock’s Fly Hair - Oh ken Holland, you Salei me.

Me - Super Mario after deafeating Bowser: “It’s-a-me, Mario…I Salei the dragon!”

Posted by Animal Drew from A Nightmare on Helm Street on 08/09/10 at 04:26 PM ET

VooX's avatar

An aside, my Dad is out of of the ICU today, thank goodness.
Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 08/09/10 at 02:17 PM ET

Great stuff.  Best news I’ve heard all week, Okie.  All the best to you and the family, especially your dad.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 08/09/10 at 04:27 PM ET

D4LRob's avatar

We replaced a pylon with a cheaper, meaner pylon

A pylon that likes playing in Babcock’s hard ass system? I’m all for it.

...is it October yet?

Posted by D4LRob on 08/09/10 at 04:27 PM ET

Animal Drew's avatar

Posted by VooX

Miller’s signed for $650K back on July 6th.

Posted by Animal Drew from A Nightmare on Helm Street on 08/09/10 at 04:29 PM ET

VooX's avatar

From HSJ article linked by Malik above:

With last week’s signings of Mike Modano and Darren Helm, all that’s left for the Wings to do before camp begins is put the finishing touches on a deal with Justin Abdelkader.

Is she forgetting about Miller?  I’d love to see him back and would sacrifice Kindl to do it, as he has not lived up to his potential and Miller is such a good fit on the Wings.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 08/09/10 at 04:29 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Posted by VooX

Miller’s signed for $650K back on July 6th.
Posted by Animal Drew from A Nightmare on Helm Street on 08/09/10 at 02:29 PM ET

I completely misread Capgeek.  I saw Williams and read Miller.  Ignore my last comments on the subject.

Crack is a hell of a drug.  My wolfpack prefers roofies.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 08/09/10 at 04:30 PM ET

VooX's avatar

By the way, Animal Drew, you’ve been killing it this summer at NOHS.

I meant to email you similar sentiments, but didn’t have the chance, so as you are here…

Kudos, sir, excellent work and keep it up, bitch.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 08/09/10 at 04:33 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Posted by Garth on 08/09/10 at 02:21 PM ET

I can get behind this kind of logic.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 08/09/10 at 04:34 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The challenge is out.

+10 internets to the first Photoshopper to show me Princess Saleia. Bonus 10 if it’s in a gold bikini chained to Ken Hitchcock.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/09/10 at 04:35 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I wonder if Meech has packed his bags yet? And Miller and Ritola should have theirs packed as well just in case. Salei’s $750 leaves the Wings with $295k in cap space – with Abi to sign yet. So at least two guys are on their way out.

As for Salei’s capabilities, here’s Forecaster.com’s list of assets and flaws…

ASSETS: Can log a ton of ice time without issue. Is a well-liked teammate in the locker room. Displays all-around prowess. Can play a nasty game from behind the blue-line from time to time.

FLAWS: Can at times make bad decisions with the puck in the defensive zone. Is also known to take a few undisciplined penalties from time to time.

To me, he sounds like a great pairing for either Ericsson or Kindl. Mitchell would have been better, but this is still a good signing.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 08/09/10 at 04:36 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Meech or Kindl…  Who do we get rid of to make room for Abdelkader?

At first I was thinking Kindl, but we don’t really know what he is capable of.  Now I’m thinking Meech.  We know he’s about as useless as tits on a nun.

We need cap space for Abdelkader and in case a goalie gets hurt.

In Tick-Tock we trust.

A little later on I will detail my dream last night featuring Lidstrom and Yzerman.  It was an omen, bitches.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 08/09/10 at 04:37 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios on 08/09/10 at 02:36 PM ET

Ritola… another name to add to the list.

If we got rid of Meech and Ritola, I could still sleep well at night knowing the Wings will be raising the Cup again in a bunch of Tuesdays from now in 2011.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 08/09/10 at 04:39 PM ET

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »