Abel to Yzerman

In The Face Of A Hurricane West Wind

My mood hasn't changed from five hours ago, or whenver I wrote that post. I'm avoiding going home. My DVR will hum like a male Dive fan.  And I'll wait as long as I can to start watching.  It will be torture.

But, at some point, I'm going to watch this game.

In the dark recesses of our most horrific pessimism, there is hope.  You hate the playoffs because you feel you should. You despise this night because your instincts tell you to.  You know the Wings will  lose this thing because it's a defense mechanism baby Jesus gave to you as a gift.

But it's not real. The real part of you actually believes they can do this.  It might even be the logical part, if that makes any sense. Logic tells you anything can happen in a Game 7 because you've seen every scenario. No one has seen what you have. No one.

As bad as 6 was and as horrible as the last two days have been?

We're in a better place than any other fan of any other team in history.  You literally have genuine, justified, real hope that your team can advance to the Western Conference Finals.  You have that hope because of who you are and because of who they are.

You are Detroit Red Wing fans.  We are owed this night, this opportunity because we are the elite and the arrogant. You have swagger because your team is the gold standard.

Do this. Burn. This. Fuching. Conference. Down.

It's a Live Blog, bitches.  And, yes Monkey, it's on.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 28 29 30

behind the net in G.R.'s avatar

Calder Cup Sorry for the typeo.

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 06/12/13 at 09:16 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Yeah - wow.  The Griffins have been impressive.  The Calder Cup is surely theirs and the Wings’ future is bright.

That said, I’m still not sure I’m going to follow the NHL next season.  For now, I’m going to take a break from reading about hockey and see how I feel in September.

I’m surprised at how little I care about the Stanley Cup Finals this year.  Not paying attention at all.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/13/13 at 08:20 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Go Grifs.  The Griffins play by play guy on WOOD is going to burst into tears if they win.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/13/13 at 05:28 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Drew Miller signed, sealed, delivered. 3 years. Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/14/13 at 12:44 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Drew Miller signed, sealed, delivered. 3 years. Bitches.

That’s a good start, Kenny.

Posted by dougie on 06/15/13 at 08:17 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

The log jam solidifies.
Eaves already signed for another year.
Miller has often played while Eaves is benched.
Without the disappearance of Samuelsson and another, there is not even enough room for everyone and Nyquist, Andersson, and Tatar.
Babs says Glendenning is going to play in the NHL.  Odds are against that being Detroit, at least anytime soon unless he has a miraculous camp.

Do Wings keep Tootoo just to keep the Eastern Conference flies off during the regular season, and be a non factor again in the playoffs?

This really makes it look like Floating Fil is gone.  You wonder if Mike’s words “The devil you do know is better than the devil you don’t” will carry any weight with KH.  Resigning Fil for $4.5 M or higher woud be even less well received than was the signing of Big E for $3.2M, which in retrospect was another great move by Holland.

If we add a FA forward that really balls things up further, but if we can get a good contributor we should do that.

The possibilities are too much to try and consider right now, the September roadside will be littered with some of our favorites, hopefully also our non favorites, to make room for our new favorites.

And Go Griffs in Game 5 tonight.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/15/13 at 10:35 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

The Regular Course Buyout and new CBA Cap-Compliance Buyout period cannot begin until the later of,

1)  June 15
2)  48 hours after the end of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

AND, the end of the Buyout period is June 30.

Considering this will be a 5-7 day window and happens concurrently with the Draft, and followed the next week by the UFA period, this is a remarkably brief period that could be hectic.

Given the long contracts that the high end stars are getting there may still be less roster churn than in previous eras, but the last week of June and first two weeks of July will be busy and interesting.

Then KH goes on fishing vacation, Babs goes big game hunting, and George Malik goes to bed before 4 a.m. for the first time since last August.
————————
Thorny issue.

If the Wings do want to buy out Samuelsson, I don’t think they can do that if he is still in some injured classification.  So if he is still injured during that brief buyout period, the Wings cannot buy him out?  Then what options do they have if they want to drop him from the roster prior to September camp?

Interesting times coming soon.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/15/13 at 10:51 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Put him on waivers.

The log jam solidifies.
Eaves already signed for another year.
Miller has often played while Eaves is benched.

I was looking at this last night and thought my head was going to explode.  Good luck Kenny!

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/13 at 06:28 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

The kiddo’s ball team took 2nd place in Missouri 11U AA State this past week/weekend.
My little dude is the red head on the right. 5-2 record for the tournament including 8.5 hours of non stop ball yesterday before the day was done.  big surprise
Last year we were 2nd in the World Series for 10U AA, and we’re off to the WS again in early July…. hope we can one up these 2nd places.
 photo IMG_20130616_170344_369_zps20c57191.jpg

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/17/13 at 08:56 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Datsyuk is a Wing for 4? More years!!!!! Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/18/13 at 11:38 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Datsyuk is a Wing for 4? More years!!!!! Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/18/13 at 12:38 PM ET

That is wonderful news.  I’m happy about Drew Miller too.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/18/13 at 12:53 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/17/13 at 09:56 AM ET

Congrats!  That’s great.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/18/13 at 12:53 PM ET

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/17/13 at 09:56 AM ET

MO, would I be out of place if I tipped a Guinness to you AND your son?  Outstanding.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 06/18/13 at 12:56 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/17/13 at 09:56 AM ET

Congrats to your son MO.

including 8.5 hours of non stop ball yesterday before the day was done.

You’re a good Dad, kiddo.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/18/13 at 02:26 PM ET

behind the net in G.R.'s avatar

GRIFFINS WIN GRIFFINS WIN GRIFFINS WIN The Calder Cup Champions BABY. Score 5-2 in game six. Red Wings future is looking good. Congradulations boys.

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 06/18/13 at 08:34 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Congrats to the Griffins!  Some very exciting hockey there!  Well done, guys!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/18/13 at 08:36 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Free Press is running a pick-your-favorite championship poll:

I have to make predictions:

Final four will be 1984 Tigers vs. 1968 Tigers and 1997 Red Wings vs. 1998 Red Wings.

Championship round will be 1984 Tigers vs. 1997 Red Wings and that is going to be very, very close.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/19/13 at 07:32 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Congrats MO, those long days in tourneys can be a drain.

Congrats Griffins.  I bet the AHL game slowed down somewhat for Nyquist and Andersson after being up so long and playing 2 rounds of NHL playoffs.

And, for those of you who kept insisting to the rest of us that Datsyuk was being forced into playing with Abdelkader, that he never meant what he said about liking Abdelkader on his line, that he was only saying that to cover Babcock, who must be an imbecile, AND that being forced to play with Abdelkader would ensure that he left for Russia after next year, Pav’s extension must certainly be a bitch slap.

Somewhere in early March or February I posted this pic just as the anti-Justin bandwagoning nonsense was starting.  It was clear to me he was doing good things on the ice, making a lot of positive contributions and winning a lot of pucks.  Not sure what some of you were looking at, but certainly were not seeing everything. I said after last season that the Wings considered him as much a core asset of their future as they did Helm, yet some of you wanted to let him go and not resign him last summer.  As usual, the GM was right, again.

Thanks Justin Abdelkader for being a big part in getting us to the playoffs and helping to keep Pav in Detroit for 4 more years.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/19/13 at 10:49 AM ET

dougie's avatar

I am not being a hater here, but no way he is a top 6 forward in my opinion, which is all I offer it as, simply my opinion.

The statistics just don’t lie. I have no idea what the stats actually are, but I read on the Internet that they don’t lie.

Posted by dougie on 06/19/13 at 11:45 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

1984 Tigers or 1997 Red Wings ??

Which was your favorite Detroit Championship?  These two are the finalists.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/21/13 at 02:42 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Free Press is running a pick-your-favorite championship poll:

I have to make predictions:

Not bad, not bad.  I called three out of four on the final four and correctly chose the two finalists.  The only one I got wrong was choosing 1998 Red Wings instead of 1989 Pistons to advance to the final four.

I call 1997 Red Wings as the champs.  This is Hockeytown after all.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/22/13 at 08:00 AM ET

monkey's avatar

1984 Tigers or 1997 Red Wings ??

Which was your favorite Detroit Championship?  These two are the finalists.

They’re doing a “best nickname” poll now.  I was shocked to find “Little Rag Man” in there.  That is a deep cut.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/23/13 at 09:14 PM ET