Abel to Yzerman

I’m Good With a Lockout…On One Condition

Updated below at 1806 EST with a great reason the lockout should actually happen.

The last time?  I was distraught.  I remember the summer leading up to the lockout, the fall, the winter months when we were teased by the meetings in Toronto, the daily tabulations about how many games they could get in if the season started _______.

Now? I don’t care. The stress just isn’t there.  The only outcome I’m concerned with is whether Gary Bettman gets fired.  That’s must-see tv right there.  He’s ruined our sport and the the one league left that had any character or integrity. He’s got to go.

But, as far as whether there’s a work stoppage, lockout, strike, hibernation? I don’t care.  I’ll make it through the summer with baseball, the fall and winter with football.

You won’t see another word written by me complaining about a lockout, or about missing hockey, or how I’m owed a season because of my loyalty.  All I want is Bettman fired. That’s it.  If this lockout lasts a year and the result is his midget ass getting canned? I’m good with that.

You don’t “win” the last lockout, then force another one because you’re not satisfied with the way you won the last one.  Of course, I realize Bettman is hired and retained by the owners and they’re making money, tons of it.  I don’t care.  Fire the shrew.  He’s ruined our sport and our league. He expanded it to markets that can’t support teams. He’s instituted a cap when one wasn’t necessary, to support the teams he built that never should have been conceived. He’s the laughing stock of all commissioners and he’s universally despised by the most passionate fan base in all of pro sports.

Fire the midget. Fire Bettman.  Somehow, someone who cares about the integrity of this game needs to fire him. Publicly.

That’s my only decree. Take as long as you want with this lockout.  I don’t give a shit.  I’ll live. You won’t read a word of me bitching about withdrawals or about how I’m getting shafted as a fan.  And I’ll be here when the season starts. I’m not boycotting my Wings. Sorry, but I’m not part of that stupid movement and empty threat.  I’ll be here. If there’s something hockey-related to talk about? I’ll comment here. But as far as the labor negotiations go, with short men in suits arguing publicly about a game neither one cares about? Nope. Not for me.

I’m not reading a single word about the CBA. I don’t care about it. I don’t care about revenue sharing, luxury taxes, arbritration or contract term limits. When the time comes I’ll read about goals and hits, suspensions, playoff seeding and parades down Woodward.  The rest of it? Delete.  Tell me when the season starts and I’ll be ready.

Just be sure you fire Bettman when it’s all said and done.

Update:  Ha. This is frigging classic.  Poor little Gallagher at Gametime bitching about what his poor life will be like without hockey, the sport that granted him the opportunity to rip on paraplegics and dimentia victims.

I want to kill Game Time before it becomes a thing I hate. I want to kill it before it becomes a shell of what I’d hoped it could be. I’d rather see it die - rather kill it myself - than let it be slowly strangled by the intermingled hands of two overpaid professional negotiators like Donald Fehr and Gary Bettman.

You’re not just negotiating for your respective parties, you dicks. You’re screwing with your fan base. We have already suffered enough at the hands of our favorite sport, and most of us came back full force. This time, though, I suspect many of us won’t be so forgiving.

This is our sport more than it is yours. And this is my baby more than it is a pawn in your game. Try me.

Haaa…yep. Kill it. Do it. Kill it.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

IwoCPO's avatar

Maybe you’d say I’m not a loyal enough fan, Chief, but I have a hard time being loyal to a league that truly doesn’t give a fuch about its players or fans.

Not at all brother.  I understand completely.  Fuch Bettman, aye.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 08/17/12 at 09:17 PM ET

VooX's avatar

BTW, Chief and the other 19 Sandy Eggo residents, here is an upcoming MMA event you may be interested in attending.

It features a title fight between Ronda Rousey and Sarah Kaufman.

Rousey:

Kaufman:

Also on the card a bunch of non-photogenic guys (in my hetero opinion) and former champ Meisha Tate:

GRRRL POWER

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 08/17/12 at 09:23 PM ET

For years I’ve been raving about firing Bettman ... calling for Don Cherry to be his replacement because Don doesn’t speak english ... he speaks hockey.

I know it’s not going to happen but it over-exagerates my point to make the casual hockey fan realize there is a problem at the top that needs to be fixed.

I’m in the growing pile of people that believe the owners are growing tired of Bettman’s bullshit.  The contracts handed to Suter & Parise are obscene for a market Minnesotas size and they will soon find themselves in the same financial situation New Jersey is in.

Some Owners/GMs went on a spending spree on purpose this summer to make a point ... not to the players or Fehr, but to Bettman, that his dream isn’t coming true.

I too hope there is a lockout this season ... for 2 reasons.

1 - I’m scared to see what the Red Wings defence is going to look like in a game situation.  It looks bad on paper and it could look even worse once they start playing real games.

2 - Another lockout could/should spell the end of the Evil Troll’s reign of terror over the NHL and it’s players & fans.  His expansion dreams failed miserably and his revenue sharing scheme hasn’t done anything but delay the inevitable.  Atlanta had a team there TWICE and they had to move out both times.

Get a clue Gary ... your days are numbered.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax on 08/17/12 at 09:32 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Don’t tell anybody…but that might be part of the reason a lockout doesn’t sound all that bad to me right now.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 08/17/12 at 09:39 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

I understand your feelings with the CBA chief. I just wish the owners would have the balls to say up yours Gary Ass. We are starting a new league with new rules made so we never have to deal with you and your toadies anymore. Mr I is too old to start this rebellion and I’m sure the majority toe the Bettman line but it would be great for the established older fans of the game.

If there is a lockout, I will just upgrade my equipment with the money I save and play hockey myself in 2 leagues this winter after getting my shoulder repaired on Tuesday.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 08/18/12 at 01:00 AM ET

If a lockout really leads to Commissioner’s departure, I am all for it.

This season is a total write-off both ways. But seeing him go will make it so much sweeter.

If you have nothing to watch this winter I suggest alpine skiing. Does the name Lindsey Vonn sound a bell? Google and Wiki her.

Posted by Alex on 08/18/12 at 11:12 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Fuch Bettman.  Fuch the NHL.  Life is far too short for their bullshit.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 08/17/12 at 06:48 PM ET

I love the Red Wings, but I’m getting very near this point myself.  Oh yeah, and fuch NBCSN.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 08/18/12 at 11:32 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Fuch Bettman.  Fuch the NHL.  Life is far too short for their bullshit.

For the past few years I have tendered my resignation as a Fan, only to get pulled back in because of my love of The Detroit Red Wings and of Hockey.

This year will make or break it as far as I’m concerned.

Thanks Gary. Ass. and, FUCH all the greedy owners he represents.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!! In’13

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 08/18/12 at 02:27 PM ET

I would bet that if we went back and looked at all the things said a few years ago when the NHL actually lost a whole season we would find a pretty high level of similarity between current comments and those made before.

And do you know what?  Everybody came back.  Do you know what else?  Everybody will come back this time too.  Do you know why?  Because the people that love hockey will always come back to watch hockey, and the casual hockey fans will still be causal fans.

The owners know this, the players know this, and I know this.  It is why the Owners aren’t afraid of ‘destroying the game’ by having a protracted lockout.  Because they know a protracted lockout won’t in any way destroy the game.

Oh, they’ll be all sorts of twitter snark and internet outrage like there is twitter snark and internet outrage about anything even mildly inconvenient… but that’s really just about it.

The NFL lost half a season to labor strife and suffered no ill effect.  The NBA lost significant portions of two seasons and suffered no ill effects.  MLB lost a postseason due to a strike and suffered no ill effects.  The NHL lost a whole year to labor strife and suffered no ill effects.

These things never end up costing the sports.  Never ever ever.  It won’t this time either… which is precisely why the Owners have no real fears regarding shutting it down for 1 2 or 12 months.  As long as they get what they want a shutdown won’t hurt them at all.

It will hurt the players, which is why Owners almost always win.  It will hurt the rank and file people that work for the teams.  It will not in any way negatively impact either the sport or the team owners.

If I could give anyone any advice about the issue it would be this: get over the drama.  They couldn’t possibly care less about what you or I think.  We are, without question, the least relevant participant in this entire charade.  Go do something else and if/when the NHL decides they will start playing games again, then great.  Watch or go to those games, or don’t.  Either way, they didn’t care what we thought before, they don’t care what we think now, and they won’t care what we think later.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 08/18/12 at 02:30 PM ET

monkey's avatar

There’s literally no chance Bettman gets fired.  None whatsoever.  You may as well wish for unicorns to come and crap whipped cream on your driveway.

Monkey fresca goes great with unicorn poo.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 08/18/12 at 03:28 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Isn’t it obvious that the owners want to have a lockout?  There’s been no urgency to get a deal done, not even now there isn’t anything.  They’ve been looking forward to having a lockout.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 08/18/12 at 03:30 PM ET

They’ve been looking forward to having a lockout.

I agree with your intent, but I disagree that the Owners have been looking forward to a lockout.

IMO, the Owners know that in order to get the players to cave, they need to cut off their checks.  There is not a single owner who will have their financial viability threatened by not having NHL hockey.  Not even Vanderbeek, who only has the team leveraged against his debts.  His personal wealth is largely elsewhere.

OTOH, every single players financial viability is threatened by a stoppage to degrees ranging from catastrophic to mildly inconvenient.

So the Owners know that locking out the players and choking the NHLPA to death (again) is the only way to get everything they want (again) and fix the league (again) so that teams can all be financially viable (again) and the sport can put labor strife behind them (again).

The Owners aren’t looking forward to it per se, they just understand that killing the NHLPA is the only way to get what they want, so it’s just business.

Dirty, vicious, shortsighted, stupid and corrupt business, but business nonetheless

Posted by HockeyinHD on 08/18/12 at 04:28 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

anyone wanna hear my opinion?

anyone? ... anyone? ...

... didn’t think so.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 08/18/12 at 04:43 PM ET

pucksnut's avatar

This is a fan of the National Hockey League, and the Chicago Blackhawks. I am a season ticketholder and i’m angry! those of us who enjoy sports and unfortunately aren’t as wealthy as owners and players, can sit back at a game or watching it on TV for 3 hours or so and forget about life’s everyday grind. For some reason owners and players from all sports seem to take us for granted, find a fair system for all and get this labor issue settled before hard working fans everywhere have to suffer again. I want to see hockey start on time, stop wasting time and find the urgency to settle this now while you have time. If your a season ticket holder for whatever team stand up and find some way to get yourself heard use social media of any kind, don’t sit back and wait for the spoiled to cry poor until they get their way, speak up!

Posted by pucksnut on 08/18/12 at 05:54 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Screw that. I’m not a fuching coward. It’s the beginning of something new.

There’s an old joke, but a good one told by Bears fans: how many Packer fans does it take to screw in a light bulb?

5. One to screw it in and four to talk about how great the old one was.

Posted by MoreShoot on 08/18/12 at 08:07 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Exactly- they’re looking forward to it because it’s exactly what they’ve been planning on all along.  They might not be looking forward to it the way a kid looks forward to Christmas (who knows, maybe some are), but they are looking forward to it.  They all love it when a plan comes together.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 08/18/12 at 10:47 PM ET

Well, there’s always wishing for a big fat heart attack…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 08/17/12 at 02:19 PM ET

We can only hope your wish comes true for you!

Posted by timbits on 08/18/12 at 11:23 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

anyone wanna hear my opinion?

anyone? ... anyone? ...

... didn’t think so.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 08/18/12 at 02:43 PM ET

I value your opinion a lot more than certain others, Stoney.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/19/12 at 12:05 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

I value your opinion a lot more than certain others, Stoney.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/18/12 at 10:05 PM ET

thanks, J.J.
(i think ... )
this:

Thanks, Gary.Ass.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 08/19/12 at 01:16 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Ok Bitches, closed the tasting room at Green Flash Brewery, San Diego, now 73 miles north on The 5 back to the hotel at Newport.  God, California is *#$%@& Awesome to visit!!

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 08/19/12 at 02:15 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

You’re in Newport eh? Do I need to put together bail cash for when you stalk the girlies on the beach tomorrow?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 08/19/12 at 03:50 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 08/19/12 at 01:50 AM ET

They gave me the choice of a phone call or one blog post, so HAALLLLLPPPP!!  24 hour Del Taco is great. Tacos de carne asada at 0330 Eastern Time are awesome!

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 08/19/12 at 05:52 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Isn’t it obvious that the owners want to have a lockout?
Posted by monkey from All hands, abandon ship. This is not a drill. on 08/18/12 at 01:30 PM ET

That has been my impression too.  They have no intention of starting the season as the fans and players would prefer, because that would continue under the present financial configration.  The players gave up a lot last time and things went right along with the owners’ and Buttman’s plan, including a 50% increase in revenues during poor economic conditions.

Buttman’s promise of holding ticket prices in check was unsupported and he has even less credibility now than then.  Average lower bowl ticket prces at DC for last year’s Red Wings game were $175, and that was not front row “glass” seats, up about $100 since the lockout.

Everyone willing to sign up for a 25% reduction in your salary please say “Ay”.

I didn’t think so.  Me neither.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 08/19/12 at 11:00 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Unicorns don’t crap whipped cream, you idiots.

meh.ro9377.gif

I’ve always wondered where rainbows come from   cool smile

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 08/20/12 at 07:04 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Lockout WTF?

Ima trying to enjoying the Summer of Self Discipline. What’s next.? ....we didn’t sign that Pahrisey fellow? Aww Jeebus….where’s Malik?!

Chief, I thought you were at sea? Cripes, the big grey boat is AWOL. I miss it. Used the shade as a respite from the heat of chasing the Rumbear Youth aboot the bay. Maybe some new stealth, uh, stuff. Thank goodness the MIDWAY does not move, much. Water sports are the theme of the summer. That’s right…I gave up golf for Ramadan.  Took up fly fishing. Surf casting is a kick .....yet, Sierra trout fear me. Yeah boy, 6lb rod with a .40 cal side arm….fire up the grill! Reduces my blood pressure, so the Doc says. I sense a trout for venison parly, if MO is still alive after the heatwave.

Of course, still have a slightly bent 9 iron looking for a head to spank upside…any suggestions?

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, for the 23rd postseason.... on 08/21/12 at 03:41 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

I will miss A2Y

Posted by Rdwings28 on 08/21/12 at 11:50 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I sense a trout for venison parly, if MO is still alive after the heatwave.

I heard that Rummie. I’ll be started on the venison here as of September 15th.
I was in WY last week and brought home an antelope, so I guess I got a lil head start.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 08/24/12 at 11:53 AM ET