Abel to Yzerman

I’ll Live Blog This Ugly Truth

The diggers, in all their courageous glory, can’t bring themselves to type it.  They’ll skirt it and they’ll talk around it.  They’ll say everything but what we’re all thinking.  Khan(!!!)?

MLive

The Red Wings aren’t as concerned about who they are playing as they are with how they are playing.

Nicely phrased. Good grammar. Active voice.

And absolute bullshit.

Krupa went all redolent on us this morning.  Breaking down the reasons we should stress:  Helm’s absence, disgusting power play, a team that isn’t used to playing together. He even pulled this one out of his pharmacist’s hat.

DetNews

Pavel Datsyuk is substantially back, too. But he is not yet the whirling-dervish of a forward who is a threat to score or set up a goal.

I guess he skipped the last ten minutes of the Blues game in favor of a Joni Mitchell retrospective.

They won’t say it.  They can’t bring themselves to broach it.  We will. I will.

I hope we lose today. I hope we lose healthy and I hope we lose competitively with Tiberius playing well. But make no mistake, I hope we lose and so do you.

Drew Sharp is a tool, but at least he has the sack to say it, too.

Freep

Today’s loser “wins.”

The loser could fall to the sixth seed and gets the third conference seed, the champion of the relatively underwhelming Pacific Division—Phoenix, Los Angeles or San Jose.

Home or away, I don’t want Nashville. Not in the first round.  A second round matchup? Not too gross because if the Wings get there it will mean they’ve found their game.  And when they find it, they’re the favorites.  But it’s not there yet.  The Wings, as Redolence said, are a work in progress.  It’s a work that will work itself out through a Round 1 matchup, not over four days of practice.

Wings lose today and they’ve got Phoenix, LA or San Jose.  All of them are beatable even with a Detroit team still finding their way.  Nashville is not beatable in the first round. And that’s a fact. Not by us. Not by this team right now.

This pretty much caps off the weirdest season any of us can remember.  A regular season that closes with a game I hope we lose so that we can actually get a lower seed that starts on the road.  That’s just stupid but it’s the reality we fester in today.

So, umm, go Wings. Play well, men.  But not too well.

Live Blog this wack job of a season finale, bitches.  And if agreeing with me betrays the way you’ve been raised here in The Hasek? I get it.  You don’t have to say it.  I won’t make you.  But in the dark places, thinking it is ok because losing to that team today paves the way to 12.  Winning makes our lives a lot tougher over the next three weeks.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 9 10 11

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I drink Cuatro Copas.
Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 04/09/12 at 11:34 AM ET

I don’t always drink Kool-Aid, but when I do, I drink the Master Chief’s A2Y Kool-Aid.

Beat Bubba!

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/09/12 at 06:12 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Bottoms Up!  It’s Chief’s playoff kool-aid.

Injuries, Helm-less front line, sketchy back-up goal tending, a power play that gives up more goals than it scores, no matter, I’m drinking it.  Expect nothing less.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/09/12 at 06:55 PM ET

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Lidstrom’s head telling him 1 more year on 04/09/12 at 10:37 AM ET

Friggin’ brilliant.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 04/09/12 at 07:21 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Cleary, what the Hell, from Khan!
—————————————-
Detroit Red Wings forward Danny Cleary said he will play in the playoff opener Wednesday at Nashville, even if his ailing knee is at 50 percent. Darren Helm, meanwhile, is aiming to return in Game 2 Friday.
The Red Wings practiced Monday at Joe Louis Arena, some better than others.
Cleary clearly was laboring on a left knee that’s bothered him for much of the season, requiring several injections and needing to be drained a few times. He missed the final two games of the regular season.
“The rest helps a lot to bring down the swelling but once you get back on the ice, it’s pretty sore,’’ Cleary said.
He said he’ll take a pain-killing shots before each game in the playoffs, something he’ll have to deal with for the rest of the postseason. He has a tear in his knee, there is bone-on-bone rubbing, and it will require surgery after the playoffs.
—————————————-

50% clearly laboring, injections, draining, swelling, soreness, pain-killing shots, tear in knee, bone-on-bone, pending surgery….

JFC why the Hell do we want to start the playoffs in a limited physical readiness as if it’s the SCF of 2009?  It’s a grind, why start out beat up?  Put in Connor, NyQuil.

I know he’s contributed to the PK but he’s capable of doing little offensively, anything that requires mobility.  Unless you’re going to park his ass in front of the goal where he doesn’t have to move and can be abused because he’s on pain killers it makes more sense to me to put someone in there who can skate and be mobile.

Eaves, anyone?  Really miss him in this scenario.

Why wasn’t Cleary taken care of before February when we were 100% healthy?

Damn this just pizzes me off Royal.

Thank you Cleary, and I hope you can come back next year, but damn isn’t it selfish to be out there at 50%?  Uncle Mike, don’t be afraid to bring out the hook after Game 1.  I’d rather have even Emmerton out there than Cleary if he’s in that bad of condition.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/09/12 at 07:57 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

I’m still personally hoping Uncle Mike will pull Buckets aside and tell him he’s gonna make the best decision for the team.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Filppula-Zetterberg-Hudler
Miller-Helm-Conner
Nyquist-Abdelkader-Holmstrom

Lidstrom-Ericsson
Kronwall-Stuart
Quincey-White

That’s how I think the team should look when God gets back. Is Conner a C? If so then just swap him with Abdelkader. I also would have an extremely short leash on Quincey. those numbers that JJ posted over at WiiM were an eye opener.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/09/12 at 08:36 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Watching “Ice Pilots”.  Buffalo Airways is toting around the Stanley Cup in one of their DC-3s out of Yellowknife for Whitehorse. How cool.

But I’m still pissed Royal at Cleary aboot to play with a clinically damaged knee.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/09/12 at 11:21 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 04/09/12 at 09:21 PM ET

Ice Pilots is a pretty alright show.  I still need to do some research on how Canadian pilot certs work though….

Alaska Wing Men is a neat show but a couple of the pilots they follow are a little annoying.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/10/12 at 10:15 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 04/10/12 at 08:15 AM ET

I’ve never seen that show.  The Canadians have some sort of single engine cert or training when they get to Buffalo, then work on the ramp for a long time.  It seems that the senior Buffalo Captains certify them as co-pilots on the DC-3.  Those fellows look incredibly young to me, like right out of high school, but they say they are 24 and 25.

“Coast Guard Alaska” is coming to Weather Channel later this month.  That could be some brutal and dangerous weather for SAR I bet.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/10/12 at 11:06 AM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Anyone else suffering from pre-playoff jitters?  Is the Hasek open yet?

RSV!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/10/12 at 12:13 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

RWBill and Alzy,

I agree, I don’t think it is a good idea to start Cleary at 50%.  What if he gets really hurt during the game and then Babs has to shorten the bench.  I would like to see what kind of energy Conner could inject.  With Helm out, a little speed couldn’t hurt.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/10/12 at 12:15 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 04/10/12 at 09:06 AM ET

Either way, they piss me off.  I’ve been flying since 93 and only just recently hit 500 hours.  Granted I had to pay for the first couple hundred hours.  Flying for Civil Air Patrol has been great for my logbook and proficiency.  There’s guys who fly the same hour five hundred times, but flying for CAP REALLY gets you involved.  Nothing keeps you focused like flying at 1000’ AGL over barren landscape with one eye on your instruments, one eye on the air around you and one eye on the ground all while talking on two different radios and somebody yacking in the backseat.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/10/12 at 12:36 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 04/10/12 at 10:36 AM ET

I would guess not, no, nothing routine about that, if anything about flying can be considered routine.  You got short reaction times there.

Chic, I haven’t allowed myself to get butterflies yet, maybe because I’ve convinced myself I have low expectations.  And why not, Detroit is the only playoff team with a losing record over the last quarter of the season, and is lucky to score even 2 goals lately.  We’re going to burden one line with a player who can’t skate, and another line has Holmstrom.  We routinely fall behind 2-0 by mid-game.  Datsyuk and Zetterberg have to perform massive physical effort to try and draw us even, that cannot be successful over a series against anyone.  Our leading plus/minus forward couldn’t finish last game due to a nagging injury.

There is no possible way Detroit even wins one game. We are doomed.  I smell Erat.  All hope is lost, Ekholm and at Bridgestone aRinne, even sitting in the cheap Kostitsyn.  We are Tootoo injured, even if we wave a Legwand over Cleary.  We have no perSuter on defense, pucks must end up in the Weber of Jimmy’s glove.  On offense we will be hooked like a Fischer in the Gill.  Prepare to be Bourqued.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/10/12 at 01:13 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Better listen to him, 19, he’s in pre-med.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/10/12 at 01:38 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I understand this.  I have a lot of mixed feelings too and a lot of doubt but I can’t help the butterflies…Just not sure how I’m going to make it until tomorrow.  I’ll be flying most of the day tomorrow so not able to commune with the 19…

This time of year just kills me, even with low expectations.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/10/12 at 02:04 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

I have low expectations as well. I think it may take 24 games to win the Cup rather than 16. 12 in ‘12 bitches the road begins tomorrow night. Too far away, I want Red Wings playoff hockey now.

LGRW

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/10/12 at 03:27 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I have no jitters.  Confuscious say…man with low expectations is rarely disappointed.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/10/12 at 05:00 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/10/12 at 03:00 PM ET

And where is Confucious now?

DEAD!  I’m just sayin’...

But meh, my expectations right now are also low.  I don’t expect DET to see the 2nd round…

Posted by Primis on 04/10/12 at 05:22 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

April in the D theme song

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/10/12 at 06:25 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I have high hopes bitches. 12 in ’12.

I also have expectations. I expect to see a new Coach behind the bench next fall if we fall short.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/10/12 at 07:05 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Better listen to her, 19, she’s in pre-med.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/10/12 at 07:21 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Nope. Nope.  I’m not on edge or have butterflies.  That’s why I’m lurking around here all day posting more nonsense than usual.

“.. wave a Legwand over Cleary..”  C’mon, that’s hilarious!!

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/10/12 at 08:21 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

”  ekHolm and at Bridgestone aRinne.. ”  Damn, THAT is funny too!

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/10/12 at 08:23 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Buckets sayin he’s only 50 % ? Another stupid statment by a Wing player at playoff time. First it was Legase talkin suicidal, then choppers Modano talkin retirement last year now this? Maybe Buckets has worn out his welcome with this idiotic statement and go away like the others during the summer break.

If Babbles thinks this is one of his best players to put in the lineup , then this team is screwed and tatooed depth-wise.

Put the Rifleman in with Helm and Miller as a “grind line”.  Wish Eaves was back, but what the hell .

Thinking of the Mad magazine man about this years playoff run. “What Me Worry?’

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 04/10/12 at 11:21 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

what?!??!?

12 in ‘12

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/10/12 at 11:55 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Confuscious say…  man who dance with girl on mountainside, not on level.

... Girl who dance with invisible man, not know what she up against.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/11/12 at 02:50 AM ET

Youtube user, WingsWorld40, posted a superb revisit of the Wings 23-game home winning streak using Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believing” as the background music.  It’s really well done.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 04/11/12 at 03:00 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Holy…someone put that mother on repeat in the Wings’ dressing room.

You bitches have something to play for.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/11/12 at 03:46 AM ET

« Previous       ‹ First  < 9 10 11