Abel to Yzerman

If You Are Following Torey Krug’s Contract Situation

from Amalie Benjamin of NHL.com,

Torey Krug said Thursday he is looking for a longer-term contract and would not take fewer years or less money to remain with the Boston Bruins before becoming a free agent.

"I'm very opposed to that," the defenseman said of signing a one-year contract. "I've bet on myself. I've taken shorter-term deals, less amount of money my whole career now. This is my time in terms of my value at its peak. I have the ability, I'm in a position now where I need to make the most of it."

The 29-year-old, who reiterated he would like to stay with the Bruins, can become an unrestricted free agent with his four-year contract with an average annual value of $5.25 million about to expire. Prior to that, he signed two consecutive one-year contracts, worth $1.4 million for 2014-15 and $3.4 million in 2015-16.

With a flat NHL salary cap next season ($81.5 million), and Krug likely in line for a considerable raise, it's not certain Boston will be able to find space for him. He said contact between his agent and the Bruins has been "very few and far between."

"I'm not really sure what the future holds," Krug said. "I'm willing to sit back and see what happens here."

continued

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

I dont want to daydream here but I cant help but think how good a combo seider and krug would be on a pair.  Pipedream.

Posted by ThatGuy on 09/03/20 at 05:11 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Little bit of insider info—during the stoppage before the bubble—Quoting: Joe Haggerty

Torey Krug is comfortably living in his home state of Michigan with his in-laws, his wife, his daughter and his dog right now amidst the coronavirus outbreak (April 2020)

He moved in temporarily to the in-laws house.

2nd thing) He was coached by Red Wings head coach Jeff Blashill who was a coach with the Indiana Ice of the USHL at the time. All indications are the Blashill helped Krug towards the NHL. So there’s that too.

Evolving hockey predicts his contract at 5 yrs x 7.357M….so that means he would be turning 34 when that contract expires…and there are not that many teams that can afford that kind of cap hit.

so not really a pipe-dream…but not a guarantee given where the Wings will be during the first 3 years of any deal.

Posted by d ca on 09/04/20 at 03:39 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

You’ve got to imagine the 43 year old Chara only has so much hockey left in him, and the Bruins probably know this.  So, I’m sure Boston finds a way to keep Krug.

I can think of about 15 other places Krug would probably rather end up in than Detroit.  The money would have to be good…I don’t know if it’s worth it for the Wings anyways.  It would help provide a little stabilization for this team for the next couple years, but still….could he really be talked into coming to a team that has virtually no chance to win a Cup during his career?

Posted by TreKronor on 09/04/20 at 10:10 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 09/04/20 at 10:10 AM ET

I agree, if he comes here, he comes here enticed by a bigger contract than most are offering, and I’m not sure that’s worth it for the wings, where we are, who we have yet to sign, and what we will need to add to put us over the top once we get there.

In a tight capital market, there will be better bargain minded stop gap quality available in free agency and certain in a trade.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 09/04/20 at 10:59 AM ET

Murray is spot on, in my opinion. Well said, sir.

Posted by MikeO on 09/04/20 at 11:11 AM ET

The Red Wings need talent, and I’d they can add talent without giving up any assets other than money they need to pursue it.

Posted by bababooey on 09/05/20 at 01:20 AM ET