Abel to Yzerman

High Praise For Moritz Seider

from Chris Peters of Hockey Sense,

I’d been trying to figure out the best format to keep fans updated about top prospects for their favorite teams in between rankings and I wanted to try this idea where I’ll take a look at at least one prospect from all 31 teams based on a certain theme at least once a month. This first post is free to showcase the format and get feedback from as many readers as possible. Please let me know in the comments or at hockeysensewithcp@gmail.com if you like this format for a semi-monthly prospect check-in. Also, pieces like this will be subscriber-only going forward, so consider a subscription so you won’t miss the next 31 Prospects column.

Detroit Red Wings - Moritz Seider, D, Rogle (SHL)

The way he has played this year, I really feel that there’s a good case for Seider being the best player outside of the NHL currently. Seider leads all U20 players in the SHL with 26 points. That puts him just five points behind Nils Lundkvist’s record for points by a U20 defenseman in SHL history, set last season. Seider, however, has a higher points-per-game rate at 0.72.

He is 10th in scoring by defensemen in the league and sixth in points per game for a defenseman. On top of that, Seider has showcased elite defensive abilities thanks to his mobility, range and smarts. On top of that, he’s been absolutely dropping players, hardening his physical edge and showing that he will be a force in all zones. There just aren’t any noticeable weaknesses in his game. Maybe he’s not a naturally dynamic offensively, but he’s effective. His range is incredible and he moves pucks with such maturity and confidence. I can’t see any situation where he’s not on Detroit’s opening-night roster in 2021-22 and playing top four minutes in short order.

Also, I wanted to quickly recognize Jonatan Berggren, who probably would be in this slot if he were in any other organization. He’s seventh in SHL scoring right now with 40 points and by far the top scorer among players 21 or younger in the league. His skill level is simply outstanding and he’s made a huge impact this season.

more teams

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Great update on Mortiz, exactly what we need going forward.

Jonatan Berggren just keeps getting high praise too. That 2018 draft might shake out to be one of Holland’s best drafts in a decade, Zadina is at least an NHL’er we’ll see how far he can take his game, Berggren certainly projecting to be an impact NHLer, and you’d assume either Veleno or Jared McIsaac (if he can ever stay healthy) will play too. Regula (given away for Perlini) also figures to be an NHL’er.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 03/08/21 at 12:23 PM ET

The best player overall or the best U20 player?
In any case, very excited about Moritz, just a little concerned the fans expectation might be so high that he will never live up to that.

Posted by VPalmer on 03/08/21 at 12:33 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Regula (given away for Perlini) also figures to be an NHL’er.

Posted by MurrayChadwick

Yup. That’s probably Yzerman’s single biggest mistake (besides not firing Blashill). I’ll bet be like a do-over on that one.

Besides the great news about both Seider (he won me over when he showed up at the draft wearing a bow tie) and Berggren, this is what got me excited about Peters’ piece…

The big question now is if he (Spencer Knight) signs with Florida after the season or waits it out another year in college considering Sergei Bobrovsky and that big contract may not be going anywhere for a while.

Florida is not only saddled with Bobrovsky’s unmoveable contract for six more years, they have Chris Driedger who, at 26, is playing extremely well. So I’m hoping Knight stays in college for another year and then goes UFA in the summer of 2022.

He’d be the perfect guy at exactly the right time for the Wings. And they could guarantee him a full shot at being their #1 either in 2022-23 or the following season. The only problem I can see would be some team making a deal with Florida before Knight goes UFA.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/08/21 at 01:03 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I’ll bet be like a do-over on that one.

I’d like a do-over on that sentence, as in: “I’ll bet he’d like a do-over on that one.”  LOL

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/08/21 at 01:05 PM ET

Yeah, the Perlini for Regula trade is going to hurt, but I like to think we got a complete steal in the Fabbri / De La Rose trade just a few days later. In hindsight, if Regula was traded for Fabbri, and De La Rose (a waiver pickup) for Perlini, Yzerman wins both of those deals. If you look at the net value of the two trades a few days apart, it looks much better. At least that’s what I tell myself haha.

In reference to the article, I can’t wait to get these guys over here!

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 03/08/21 at 01:16 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/08/21 at 12:03 PM ET

That would be awesome, though I don’t see how he’s not with Florida next year.

Bobrovsky has a full no-movement clause and has to be protected, so Chris Driedger will either be gladly taken by Seattle, or Florida will trade him before the draft.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 03/08/21 at 01:39 PM ET

Primis's avatar

The question is not if Regula becomes an NHLer, but does he become a *good* one?  Because I get the impression DET has a lot of d-men that can eventually claim to be NHL-caliber, but DET needs top 4 guys to emerge.  I don’t know that Regula will be that, or that he’s necessarily better than the long list of other DET d-man prospects necessarily.

In which case he was expendable, and the hand-wringing is unnecessary.

Would it be nice to still have him?  Sure, but the gamble wasn’t really a big one in the grand scheme of things,

Posted by Primis on 03/08/21 at 01:57 PM ET

Hadn’t followed Berggren’s production lately.
So glad to see he’s sustaining it.

Assuming Seider is on the NHL roster this coming season and it’s hard to see why not, we ought to keep McIlrath up as the 7th-8th defenseman. We need to decide on Cholowski and Lindstrom (if not claimed) and it’s not yet clear we’ll have key rookies playing in GR next season other than probably Veleno. If Raymond and Berggren were in GR next season maybe it’d be different.

I don’t want Seider breaking into the NHL in only his second season (not even a full one) on NA ice, without there being someone on the roster other teams have to think about. Injuries are the only thing about Seider that concern me. He is such an important part of the Wings’ future.

Posted by lefty.30 on 03/08/21 at 05:23 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

The description he gives of Seider really reminds me of Kronwall which would be fantastic if we can luck into an offensive top pair Dman as well.

The problem I have with losing Regula but gaining Fabbri is the age differential.  Fabbri is 5 years older and a roster “generation” behind where Regula would have ended up.  Fabbri will not be on this team whenever the Wings make the playoffs again, whereas Regula would more likely have been coming into the club at the right time.

The same could be said of a guy like Mantha and Bertuzzi, and there certainly would be some value to trading them vs. keeping them on the roster…they’ll be 30 before this team makes the playoffs.  In my opinion, Larkin is the only mid-to-late 20’s player I’d keep, just for continuity and leadership.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/08/21 at 06:16 PM ET