Abel to Yzerman

Healing In The Orient

Yes, I’m rooting for a San Jose loss tonite. Why? Because it takes a supremely talented, mentally tough, resilient hockey club to recover from an 0-3 playoff deficit.

And San Jose is not that team.

I do want San Jose to lose. I’d like them to be swept. And yes I’m that guy.

But that’s not a surprise.  Wanna hear something cool though?

I walked into a Manila grocery/convenience store at 0700 the other day.  The lady working behind the counter took one look at me, pointed to her right and said “aspirin is here”.

And the recovery started there.  In the PI, where it all began 22 years ago…but that’s another story for another time.

Am I fully better? No. I still got really sad when I saw a closeup of granola-ass Jumbo Jerkoff Joe Thornton getting ready, sipping on a fruit juice.  And, like Shooter in Hoosiers, I still have bad visions.

I still have a consistent nightmare about a midget pimp chasing hookers around a Bed, Bath and Beyond, screaming at them to eat their meat because you know you don’t get pudding unless you eat your meat but laughing while he skipped until he saw a bearded Buckets and laid him out with a shoulder to the head.

I let myself worry now, about life after the Lizard King.  I think he’s coming back but we have to consider the afterlife.

I smile because Brad’s gone and one way or another he took his Whiskey home with him.  No, I don’t think he had much to do with the power play specifically, but special teams were in his lane.  Moreso the PK.  Has George told us whether Boughner is in Detroit yet?

I’m starting to think about things like rising caps and retiring grinders, aged goalies and whether keeping one is really the best idea when there’s going to be a Conk on the market.

I’m still sad, but it’s easier.  I take a lot of pride in what our team did but also realize that the vice grip on my nut sack tightened with each small step closer to what would have been The Greatest Fuching Accomplishment Ever.  And when the bad thing happened…well, puppies died.  And that’s that, Christine or whoeverthefuckitwas from PETA.  They just did because that’s what happens.

So, the recovery…it’s ok.  I’m ready to start talking about what will be, just not quite to the point of what could have been.  Make sense?

Rats, San Jose’s up 3-0. They’ll probably win and there goes the sweep.  Certainly no team can come back from an 0-3 deficit of any kind against that juggernaut, eh?

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3

monkey's avatar

Hey Vancouver…WTH?

They’re the Montreal of Canada.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/17/11 at 07:04 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Bwah-ha…..I can’t wait to hear the Chief have a go at the EPIC FAIL in Vancouver last night.

That is all.

I know.  We haven’t seen a collapse like that since… 2009.

Somebody punch me in the face.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/17/11 at 07:29 AM ET

Bent's avatar

They’re the Montreal of Canada.

I see what you did there.

I know.  We haven’t seen a collapse like that since… 2009.

Somebody punch me in the face.

Ouch man.  That hurts.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 06/17/11 at 02:47 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

They’re the Montreal of Canada.

MONKEY!  You SOB…...snorted coffee on that one.

It’s summatime.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 06/17/11 at 03:28 PM ET

monkey's avatar

MONKEY!  You SOB…...snorted coffee on that one.

There are a couple layers to that one.  I’m going to keep using it.

Speaking of Rumbear…  I got my hands on a bottle of Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 Years.  Exquisite.  I drink it straight.  I may never drink any other liquor.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/18/11 at 09:11 AM ET

monkey's avatar

I may never drink any other liquor.

That’s a dirty lie.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/18/11 at 09:11 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

That’s a dirty lie.

Somehow, I knew that.

Cheers!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 06/18/11 at 12:31 PM ET

« Previous        < 1 2 3