Abel to Yzerman

Healing In The Orient

Yes, I’m rooting for a San Jose loss tonite. Why? Because it takes a supremely talented, mentally tough, resilient hockey club to recover from an 0-3 playoff deficit.

And San Jose is not that team.

I do want San Jose to lose. I’d like them to be swept. And yes I’m that guy.

But that’s not a surprise.  Wanna hear something cool though?

I walked into a Manila grocery/convenience store at 0700 the other day.  The lady working behind the counter took one look at me, pointed to her right and said “aspirin is here”.

And the recovery started there.  In the PI, where it all began 22 years ago…but that’s another story for another time.

Am I fully better? No. I still got really sad when I saw a closeup of granola-ass Jumbo Jerkoff Joe Thornton getting ready, sipping on a fruit juice.  And, like Shooter in Hoosiers, I still have bad visions.

I still have a consistent nightmare about a midget pimp chasing hookers around a Bed, Bath and Beyond, screaming at them to eat their meat because you know you don’t get pudding unless you eat your meat but laughing while he skipped until he saw a bearded Buckets and laid him out with a shoulder to the head.

I let myself worry now, about life after the Lizard King.  I think he’s coming back but we have to consider the afterlife.

I smile because Brad’s gone and one way or another he took his Whiskey home with him.  No, I don’t think he had much to do with the power play specifically, but special teams were in his lane.  Moreso the PK.  Has George told us whether Boughner is in Detroit yet?

I’m starting to think about things like rising caps and retiring grinders, aged goalies and whether keeping one is really the best idea when there’s going to be a Conk on the market.

I’m still sad, but it’s easier.  I take a lot of pride in what our team did but also realize that the vice grip on my nut sack tightened with each small step closer to what would have been The Greatest Fuching Accomplishment Ever.  And when the bad thing happened…well, puppies died.  And that’s that, Christine or whoeverthefuckitwas from PETA.  They just did because that’s what happens.

So, the recovery…it’s ok.  I’m ready to start talking about what will be, just not quite to the point of what could have been.  Make sense?

Rats, San Jose’s up 3-0. They’ll probably win and there goes the sweep.  Certainly no team can come back from an 0-3 deficit of any kind against that juggernaut, eh?

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 >       Next »

monkey's avatar

Exorcised.

What the f*ck ever.

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...a much needed hiatus… on 05/25/11 at 10:59 PM ET

I understand it was unintentional, but I was absolutely NOT making fun of you.  “Exercised” is a flat out perfect description of the Demons of San Jose.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/04/11 at 05:55 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Reminds me of a joke I told in a college class, keeping in mind the original Linda Blair movie was big at the time.

Did you hear about the guy who didn’t pay his Exorcist?  He got repossessed.

Only I pronounced it like Exercist and the professor just corrected me like I was an ignorant tool.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/04/11 at 09:19 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

These teams look like they’re playing at a very slow pace.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/04/11 at 09:58 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

The urgency and speed finally jacked up after Boston took a 2-1 lead.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/05/11 at 12:24 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I am beginning to think that Claude Julien is melting down à la Michel Therrien circa June 2008.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/06/11 at 09:42 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

Hey all.  Heard today that everyone’s favorite carrier is in Pearl Harbortoday, and is soon headed back to San Diego.

To the Master Chief: thank you again for your service sailor.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 06/08/11 at 08:52 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

SEND A KID TO CAMP!!

Yeah I’m back.  We are almost there.  Many of you have generously donated to help send the Roving Correspondent and all around hockey guy of the 19, George Malik to the Wings Development Camp in Traverse City from July 7 - 14.  Costs are up this year as something called the Cherry Festival is occurring at the same time and motels are filling up.  Cherries….Traverse City, who knew?

You know when Malik is in da house we will be treated to daily insights & scintillating details aboot the Wings along with reports of where to find a cheap meal in TC.  How can you place a value on this?  Indeed..

So one more time I appeal to your hearts and wallets to slip a few $$, sheckles, loonies, rupies or pieces of eight into the paypal account over at The Malik Report.  Join in and help keep the “roving” in Roving Correspondent.

Like I said, George does not like to ask, so I am.  PayPal is up at The Malik Report.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 06/08/11 at 03:09 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

pieces of eight

Dig the Pirates reference Rummie.
I’ll stuff a few bucks in the tip jar.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/08/11 at 10:45 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

TPH is going to be on the Jime Rome show in a matter of minutes. 10am PDT, 1pm on the east coast.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/09/11 at 01:55 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Just thought you bitches should see this:

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 06/10/11 at 02:35 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 06/10/11 at 01:35 PM ET

Great photo!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/10/11 at 02:45 PM ET

I really don’t know much about the sport of hockey.  I have enjoyed watching it immensely in the past, but I just didn’t understand much about the finer points of it.  Unfortunately, my ‘team’ (if you could call them that), the Atlanta Thrashers, have moved on to green pastures.  The only reason that I ‘rooted’ for the Thrashers was that I’d spent my first few years in the US there, and I had a very close connection with the Braves/Falcons.

But now, I’m in Novi, Michigan.  And since the Thrashers have moved on from Atlanta, I’ve decided that it’s fine for me to choose a different team, and I find that I’d prefer to root for the team that I’m nearest (this one).  I have a few questions regarding this change.  Is it permissible under the rules of fandom in hockey (which I hear are much more severe and tightly regulated than the rules of fandom in other sports)?  I get angry enough at people that continuously root for the Yankees/Red Sox/Eagles without having set a foot in those cities, let alone seen a home game; I would feel bad being an Atlanta transplant and cheering for the Red Wings.  If this move is indeed permissible, what can I do to acquaint myself with the Red Wings?

Posted by frozendesert on 06/11/11 at 06:11 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Posted by frozendesert on 06/11/11 at 05:11 PM ET

I recommend you stop being such a faggot, you’re in the back seat. Welcome to the 19.

Posted by pgoody on 06/12/11 at 07:35 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by frozendesert on 06/11/11 at 05:11 PM ET

You don’t need to worry about any nonsense like that.  Only you will know if you really are a fan; worrying about what some douche says online is not going to do you any good.  Go to some games if you can afford it, learn the history.  If you really enjoy hockey and truly are a Red Wings fan everything else will fall into place.  Sorry for your loss, such as it is, but from every hardship comes opportunity.

To answer your question anyway, though I really don’t think you should care too much what my answer is, I don’t see anything wrong with it.  You lost your team to Gary Bettman’s merry-go-round, you’ve recently moved to Michigan, it makes perfect sense.

Posted by pgoody on 06/12/11 at 06:35 AM ET

Bundle of sticks, I hope.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/12/11 at 07:54 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Well I became an Atlanta Brave fan because I was stationed in Georgia 3 times.  Tigers first, always, but for a National League team I still follow the Braves though long been out of Augusta.

The Red Wings are not just another team, this is a locally owned franchise with 5 generations of the ties that bind (alcoholism, at least on game nights).

Come on down to the Joe in October and stare in wonder at the rafters.

Welcome aboard.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/12/11 at 11:21 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by frozendesert on 06/11/11 at 05:11 PM ET

Welcome!  And if you want to start your immersion course in Red WIngs hockey, also visit The Malik Report daily.

cool smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/13/11 at 08:04 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Happy Cup #10 Anniversary 19.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 06/13/11 at 03:11 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I wonder if Luongo would have stopped either of these 2 goals that Luongo just let in.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/13/11 at 09:40 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Luongo should give Luongo some pointers.

A Tale of Two Cities this Final has been.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/14/11 at 07:13 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Crazy that Vancouver could give up that ridiculous number of goals and still maybe win the Cup!  Tim Thomas must win the Conn Smythe or there is no reason left in the universe.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/14/11 at 09:37 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Hey 19!  George still needs a little more money to get to camp.  It’s great that so many have donated, but if you haven’t, now’s the time - link is on TMR.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/14/11 at 02:30 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Tomorrow, the Master Chief returns to San Diego.

Welcome home, sailor.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/14/11 at 04:21 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

MacLean went to the Senators…

Posted by pgoody on 06/15/11 at 11:05 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Luongo should give Luongo some pointers.

The problem is that Luongo isn’t an elite goalie, and only elite goalies win the Cup.  Now, that Luongo, on the other hand, well, he’s certainly elite.  And if Luongo were in goal, the ‘Nucks would have already won the Cup.  Too bad they have that piece of Swiss cheese Luongo in net.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 06/15/11 at 12:22 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Watch the Master Chief’s homecoming live beginning at 10am pacific, 1pm eastern.

Off to court, so I’ll miss the big boat sailing into Coronado.

Welcome Home.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/15/11 at 01:33 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Welcome home, Chief!

So Andrew, who starts in goal tonight for Vancouver?  Luongo or Luongo?

cool smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/15/11 at 03:35 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Chief’s Home!  I saw the big gray boot go bye on the way to work this morning.

So Andrew, who starts in goal tonight for Vancouver?

Clearly it is Luongo or that other guy.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 06/15/11 at 04:10 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

So Andrew, who starts in goal tonight for Vancouver?  Luongo or Luongo?

I’ll take what’s in the box, Kuni.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 06/15/11 at 05:27 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

And welcome home, Chief.  Cap’n, hope you knocked ‘em dead in court—now get in the kitchen, you’ve got brisket to prep, bitch.  C’mon, before the anchor drops!

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 06/15/11 at 05:29 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Welcome home, Master Chief.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/15/11 at 08:11 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Welcome home Master Chief.  Pics of the kegerator or it didn’t happen.  Bitch.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 06/15/11 at 09:56 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I miss the 19.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/15/11 at 10:28 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

The 19 miss you too, Herm.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 06/16/11 at 12:08 AM ET

Bent's avatar

Now that the season it completely over, I feel I can post again.  Is it October yet?

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 06/16/11 at 12:05 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Welcome home Master Chief and all you other swabbies.  Well done, an interesting tour with pirates and obl and a deck fire.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/16/11 at 02:18 PM ET

Is that why Vegas rumbled a little bit?

Welcome home, Chief!  (yeah, I so used the exclamation point ha ha)

So glad you made it home.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 06/16/11 at 02:30 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Welcome, Master Chief.

... is it October yet?

The road to No. 12 begins now.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 06/16/11 at 02:55 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Bwah-ha…..I can’t wait to hear the Chief have a go at the EPIC FAIL in Vancouver last night.

That is all.

Posted by dougie on 06/16/11 at 03:38 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Jeebus…...no word from the sailor since the boot docked and he discovered a kegerator.  Hope it didn’t fall on him…..or vice versa.

Hey Vancouver…WTH?  Residents going all “Detroit” on the local environs.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 06/16/11 at 09:56 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Hey Vancouver…WTH?  Residents going all “Detroit” on the local environs.

Posted by Rumbear from sippin rum, catching rays & playing golf on 06/16/11 at 08:56 PM ET

Damn man, that is almost word-for-word the same thing I said this morning to one of my co-workers (who also happens to be from Detroit)...we both agreed that while Canadians still haven’t quite perfected the whole flipping cars and burning shit down thing, American goaltenders continue to get better and better.  Pretty classic case of role reversal I’m thinkin’.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 06/17/11 at 04:03 AM ET