Abel to Yzerman

Has It Really Been 18 Years?

.awood40 at his YouTube channel posted a video many of us may remember, Steve Yzerman's 500th goal against Patrick Roy and the Avs.

The video is basically a highlight package of the game so if you want to watch Yzerman's goal, scroll to the 5:40 mark and let the celebration begin.

That goal is still crytal clear in my mind, but some other facts are not, like Scotty Bowman shaking Stevie's hand when he returned to the bench.

Watch below...

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

yzemaze's avatar

Scrolling? Just use a direct link => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43NKMBpRFrI#t=5m40

Thanks Stevie for making a little German kid into a lifelong Wingnut. Even though some credit goes to NHL93 wink

Posted by yzemaze from somewhere in f***ing Bavaria, Germany on 01/18/14 at 01:59 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

soooooooo sweeeeeeeet….........thanks.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 01/18/14 at 07:48 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

The poise and passing of Larionov is just amazing & what a different game it was then.
Great way to start the day watching that this morning… makes me feel like I’m getting old though, sheesh 18 years ago.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/18/14 at 10:33 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

early in the espn2 era.

this brings tears to your eyes, an era of great teams in the NHL before the oppressive yoke of communist hard salary caps created a league of inept mediocrity, dragging the quality of goods down, as communism inevitably does.

What a genius on the ice was Larionov.  I wish I had been able to get NHL Center Ice or equivalent in the 90s, I was only able to see those great teams when on espn,  6 or 8 times per regular season.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 01/18/14 at 11:15 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

oh, and thanks Paul for sharing that.

early in the espn2 era.

IMO that era was the apex of the NHL as a televised sport, and then Bettman had to go and bleep it up.

I always wonder where the NHL would be right now had they bowed to reality and done what it took to stay on ESPN instead of spending the better part of a decade in the television wilderness.

Probably cashing a huge check from Fox Sports 1.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/18/14 at 12:11 PM ET

I’m even happier that he scored a milestone goal against Wah and the Dives AND still won the game.

18 years.  I’m old.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 01/18/14 at 12:54 PM ET

The other day I was watching a game and I saw John Madden, who was an assistant coach.  I watched him play at Michigan.  That’s when getting older really smacks you in the face.  Guys you watched as 19 year olds play in college, then get drafted, then play their whole careers, and then are coaches.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/18/14 at 03:31 PM ET