Abel to Yzerman

Give Us Back Our Murph

We brought a Brazilian refugee to Detroit.  Getting Larry Murphy re-hired by the shrivs at Fox?  That should be cake.

Here's a link to a petition. Sign it.  Let's get Murph back between the benches where he damn well belongs.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

SandysWingingit's avatar

Done!

Posted by SandysWingingit on 03/23/13 at 10:53 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

I signed the petition and sent an email to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) , not that it will make a difference.  My gist was that Murphy was popular with the fans because of, not inspite of, his informal fan-to-fan style, some other things, and that if viewership is down it is because of the lockout turning many fans against the NHL, and the Wings not winning at the same high level as in the past.

I’m really stunned by the news, there has to be more to it than “lower ratings”.  He’s certainly more enjoyable to listen to than that stiff as a board guy in the studio.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 03/23/13 at 10:58 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I signed it without thinking how awkward his return would be. “Hey, remember me? The internet loves me, suck my dick!”

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 03/23/13 at 11:07 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

If he does that, he should be given a raise to go along with being brought back.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/23/13 at 11:08 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 03/23/13 at 11:07 AM ET

Good point Herm. And I’m sorry for calling you a refugee.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 03/23/13 at 11:11 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I’m sorry for calling you a refugee.

I was honored, sir.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 03/23/13 at 11:20 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Chief’s link to George Malik provides the Detroit broadcast of Abdelkader’s hat trick, which I hadn’t seen before.  In fact FSD was blacked out by the NHL last night.  Thanks. Gary. Ass.

You can see, as always in Anaheim, thousands of Red Wings fans in red.

I also posted this in the LB last night, I thought I saw this for a fleeting instant live after Justin’s first goal, so during intermission went back and snapped a picture off the TV screen.  This just proves that not everyone in attendance was a Red Wing fan.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 03/23/13 at 11:23 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

The petition has gone from about 124 to 470 in 30 minutes since I first signed it.  One guy had this to say about it.

Comments: If you didn’t like his glasses, you could have just paid for him to get Lasik.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 03/23/13 at 11:30 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Had to be the glasses.

Posted by dougie on 03/23/13 at 11:33 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 03/23/13 at 11:23 AM ET

Stay classy, Anaheim.

and petition signed, now where is the petition to get Keating, Thompson and Eliot canned?

Posted by Hootinani on 03/23/13 at 11:53 AM ET

harken23's avatar

Once management at the Joe realizes that the hotdog sales have tanked (should take about a period) they’ll insist Fox get him back…

Posted by harken23 on 03/23/13 at 11:58 AM ET

Bent's avatar

Posted by Hootinani on 03/23/13 at 11:53 AM ET

I like Keating, he is good at what he does.  Horrible with the dumb jokes, but he makes me smile, and everyone seems to love him.  I have nothing against the other two either.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 03/23/13 at 12:03 PM ET

MisfitJake's avatar

Posted by Hootinani on 03/23/13 at 11:53 AM ET

No, everyone does not love Keating.

I’d venture to guess that most fans don’t like him very much.

His…awkward… cadence, yo-yoing… tempo and corny jokes make me turn the… channel every time I see his red face on… the Wings or Tigers… broadcast.

Rating are down because of the Wings inconsistent play, shortened season and the Wings being pushed off on FSD+ in favor of the Pistons. If someone had to go it was going to be Murph. Elliot makes much less and York and Keating do a vastly different job that include work on all of FSD broadcasts and not just Wings games.

Posted by MisfitJake on 03/23/13 at 12:17 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

signed.

bring back our Merffish ...

YEESSSHHHHH

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/23/13 at 12:19 PM ET

A “HI - ER MUR-PHY” chant at the Joe would sound great.

Posted by loojay on 03/23/13 at 12:37 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Posted by MisfitJake on 03/23/13 at 12:17 PM ET

Let me rephrase that.  All his coworkers the players that he deals with on both the Tigers and the Red Wings seem to love him.  That’s what I meant.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 03/23/13 at 12:38 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by MisfitJake on 03/23/13 at 12:17 PM ET

Yep, he definitely went to the William Shatner school for public speaking.

Thompson reminds me too much of Carlton from Fresh Prince

and Elliot is just Captain Obvious.  “The Wings are going to have to play harder next period.”  Oh really, Darren?  Please, tell us more.

I like York.  He started out doing sports recap for the local news here in the Saginaw area, and it was good to see him get picked up by a regional.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/23/13 at 12:40 PM ET

Done, Chief.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 03/23/13 at 01:13 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

855 and counting.  In the half a minute or so after I signed, two others had.  It is going quickly.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 03/23/13 at 01:18 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

It really is shocking.  I always assumed that Murph was in line to be the colour guy when Mick decided to retire.  But maybe that’s why Eliott took the job he did as intermission analyst.  Maybe he was promised the spot along side Ken when that sad day comes.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 03/23/13 at 01:25 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I signed it, and I am a HUGE Murph fan… but he often, especially on road games when he color commentated, seemed super drunk. There were times he was unmistakably slurring and you could tell Ken was not happy with him. There would be a certain passive-agressive sarcasm that would seep through Ken’s interactions on those nights and Murph would just be off the walls, talking crazy, messing up, and slurring his words. I guess I’m just saying maybe there’s more under the surface and Fox is trying not to embarrass him further. If it was really a money decision, you’d think they’d just wait until the end of the season and do it without anyone really noticing. This was abrupt and seems like there’s something else going on.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/23/13 at 01:37 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I always assumed it was playing hockey in the 80’s and 90’s that caused the slurred speach.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/23/13 at 01:52 PM ET

gt500x's avatar

I hate Fox Sports Detroit - period.

I hate everything they do and everyone that does it.

“April in the D” makes me want to break my TV.

Unfortunately the national alternatives - when they’re available - are also unbearable.  I’d rather mute the TV and listen to the game on the radio sometimes.

Posted by gt500x on 03/23/13 at 01:56 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Could it have been the drinking?  My first ever game at JLA, I said hello to Murphy on the concourse between periods.  His eyes were very glassy and his speech slurred.  He was definitely not having a stroke, he was buzzed to the point of being almost fully drunk.

Anyone else share my opinion that games would be much better to watch without any announcers at all during gameplay?  Use them only for replay analysis and injury reports.  I wish there was a secondary audio channel that would allow me mute the announcers in this manner.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 03/23/13 at 02:03 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Go Blue!

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/23/13 at 02:15 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

No, everyone does not love Keating.

I’d venture to guess that most fans don’t like him very much.

Posted by MisfitJake on 03/23/13 at 12:17 PM ET

presses “Like” button
/                      /

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 03/23/13 at 02:42 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Go Blue!

Go Blue!  Perfect game!

When is the hockey semi final vs Miami?  coming up soon.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 03/23/13 at 02:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

that is my dream,  I can almost get it by turning the front center speaker way down and turning up the settings on the other speakers, but it doesn’t work in a lot of broadcasts.  that way you still hear crowd noise and reaction but little painful announcer blather.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 03/23/13 at 02:45 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 03/23/13 at 11:30 AM ET

I truss Doctor Rahmani, and yoo shud doo.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 03/23/13 at 04:15 PM ET