Abel to Yzerman

GDT - WC Semifinals, Game 6: Red Wings (2-3) host Sharks (8:00)

Game 6 tonight at the Joe.  To be perfectly honest, I didn’t think I’d be posting the GDT again this season; not after Couture’s goal less than a minute into the third the other night.  I wrote in the LB that it was over for DET.  Since I am nothing if not ego-centric (being a Wings fan certainly contributes to that), I can tell you that I have rarely been happier to be wrong.

In game 5, the Wings showed exactly why they are the class of the NHL (unlike a certain #19 in teal), and have been for twenty years.  Despite looking like they didn’t belong on the ice for the better part of 40 minutes, the Wings played like champions at a time when it would have been ridiculously easy to mail it in.  Don’t believe me?  Jamie Samuelson speaking to Ken Daniels yesterday: The Red Wings have authored dozens of signature wins in this remarkable 20-year run, but I can’t think of a gutsier effort when the cards were stacked against them. I put that question to Ken Daniels this morning. He mentioned coming back from a 2-0 deficit against Vancouver in 2002 on the way to the Stanley Cup, but in terms of one game, he agreed that the effort in the third period Sunday night was as good as he could remember.

Win tonight and anything can happen, anything.  Eeyore left the building after Jimmah saved, and after Datsyuk’s one-handed brilliance in game 5.  Game fuching On(!), bitches.

END REGULAR SEASON RECORD:

DET:  47-25-10,  104 pts, (3 in Conf, 1 in Central), 261 GF, 241 GA, Last 10 4-4-2, WON 1

SJS:  48-25-9, 105 pts, (2 in Conf, 1 in Pacific) 248 GF, 213 GA,  Last 10 7-2-1, WON 1

DET on road:  26-11-4 (2nd)
SJS at home:  25-11-5 (4th)

END REGULAR SEASON TEAM STATS:

DET:  .634 point% (6), 3.13 G/G (2), 2.89 GA/G (23),  1.02 5-5 F/A (15), 22.3 PP% (5), 82.3 PK% (17), 33.6 S/G (2), 30.7 SA/G (16), 51.9 FO% (3).

SJS:  .640 point% (5), 2.96 G/G (6), 2.54 GA/G (10), 1.16 5-5 F/A (5), 23.5 PP% (2), 79.6 PK% (24), 34.5 S/G (1), 28.9 SA/G (8), 53.7 FO% (2).

Goal Differential/Game:
DET = +0.24
SJS = +0.42

PLAYOFF TEAM STATS:

DET:  .667 point% (3), 3.44 G/G (2), 2.67 GA/G (8), 1.57 5-5 F/A (2), 24.2 PP% (4), 74.4 PK% (13), 33.6 S/G (5), 34.3 SA/G (10), 50.3 FO% (7).

SJS:  .636 point% (4), 3.09 G/G (7), 3.00 GA/G (10), 1.09 5-5 F/A (6),  13.6 PP% (13), 78.6 PK% (10), 38.2 S/G (1), 30.1 SA/G (5), 53.6 FO% (1).

Playoff Goal Differential/Game:

D Dan Boyle 11 2 7 9 -1 26:07
L Dany Heatley 11 3 4 7 0 19:05
C Kyle Wellwood 11 1 6 7 8 14:20 #3 in +/-
D Ian White 10 1 6 7 4 19:40
C Joe Pavelski 11 5 2 7 5 20:21
R Devin Setoguchi 11 5 1 6 -3 17:30
C Patrick Marleau 11 2 3 5 1 22:10 The invisible man, or matador wannabe?
C Torrey Mitchell 11 1 4 5 3 15:35

Nicklas Lidstrom (D) 5 pts in last 3 GP
Niklas Kronwall (D) 2 pts in last 2 GP
Pavel Datsyuk (C/LW) 4 pts in last 2 GP
Henrik Zetterberg (C/LW) 5 pts in last 3 GP
Dan Cleary (LW/RW) 3 pts in last 2 GP
Todd Bertuzzi (RW/LW) 3 pts in last 2 GP
Tomas Holmstrom (RW/LW) 7 pts in last 9 GP Best money ever spent, for sure.

DET: Not Hot:

Marc-Edouard Vlasic (D) 0 pts in last 7 GP
Jason Demers (D) 0 pts in last 5 GP
Patrick Marleau (LW/C) 0 pts in last 5 GP
Antti Niemi (G) 0-2-0, 4.09, .871 in last 2 GPI

Injury Report:
DET:
Chris Osgood (G) Groin (Injured reserve)

SJS:
Kent Huskins (D) Upper body injury (Day to day)

————————————————————————————————————
After the team plane landed in Detroit Monday, Babcock was asked how much he would enjoy getting back on that plane after Tuesday’s game.

“Oh, we’re getting on it,” Babcock said.

Swaggerific!

Mikey Mo is in if Mule isn’t kicking
————————————————————————————————————

image

Wally found his stride late in game 5; time to keep on the damn throttle.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

42jeff's avatar

“Oh, we’re getting on it,” Babcock said.

+19

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/10/11 at 11:54 AM ET

Chris Pronger Rosetta Stone's avatar

And if they don’t win, Uncle Mike is going to force them on it and gunpoint and fly it into the Shark Tank.  Don’t fuch with Mike.

Posted by Chris Pronger Rosetta Stone on 05/10/11 at 12:34 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Thank Okie Jeff as always.

I (like you) thought we were done after Couture’s goal.  I am still just amazed at what the Wings did in that game.  I am so happy to have another GDT to read and another game to watch.  I really don’t want to think about how many years the last two games have taken off of my life.  So here we go again.

Here’s to hoping this isn’t the last GDT of the season.

LET’S GO RED WINGS!!!

Score early, score often and keep the skate down.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/10/11 at 12:48 PM ET

Make no mistake, this is game 7 tonight.

Posted by Hackeynut on 05/10/11 at 12:59 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Glad you were able to do another GDT Okie.  Your work throughout the season has been appreciated.

It’s time to dig in.
One more win.
To the land of sun.
More Dangle fun.
Where Jumbo Joe dives.
While Shark fans cry.
And Clowe is a clown.
These bitches go down.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 05/10/11 at 01:00 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

George just posted:

Ryan Clowe, SJS leading scorer, is out tonight(!)  KRONWALLED

Mikey Mo in for Mule.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 05/10/11 at 01:07 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

C Patrick Marleau 11 2 3 5 1 22:10 The invisible man, or matador wannabe?

This is the traditional time of year for Marleau to turn into the Loch Ness Monster—you know, you’ve heard of him but never actually SEEN him…

C Joe Thornton 11 2 8 10 -1 21:40

Feasting on the PP and sucking hard at even strength, just like he does every playoffs.  Way to be Aptain.

SJS…13.6 PP% (13)

Did I say ‘feasting?’  He must be watching his weight.

Excellent work as always, Okie.  One game.  Start to finish, dominate all the way.  Get in their heads, in the game, back in the series and let’s hear the nerves fray in San Jose.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 05/10/11 at 01:12 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks, Okie.

After Couture’s goal the other night, I kept watching, but muted the sound because I was so sick of Versucks’ cheerleading for the Sharks.  And then we scored.  I unmuted to listen to the commentary while watching the replay.  Then I muted again.  And we scored again.  From that point on, I kept the mute button on until time ran out and the Wings had won.

Me thinks the mute button will be on tonight as well.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/10/11 at 01:30 PM ET

To MsRedWinger : I have to say, that throughout this difficult series, you kept me above water…your sense of optimism is quite incredible and I can only hope that they win tonight to prove how wrong I am to doubt the Wings. I want them to win so bad that I can’t focus at work and will shoot anyone wearing another jersey than our beloved Wings… I hate to say this, but I just don’t see it happening…. what was the stats again? 1.8% to comeback from a 3-0 series? The realist in me (and the pessimist) just can’t swallow it….that being said, I pray the hockey gods (who seemed to have a grudge against the Wings) that you are right and that I should be ashamed to be doubting the Wings.

I commend you for believing it through the end…..

Posted by Meg on 05/10/11 at 01:42 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Wally found his stride late in game 5; time to keep on the damn throttle.

I’ve been waiting on Fil to Fill er’ up. He is due. Big time.

Thanks OAkie. Here’s to one more win, and, more GDT’s.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/10/11 at 01:51 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I’m in full Eeyore mode.

Photobucket

Abby is going to take a dumb penalty at a crucial point in the game tonight. E52 will make 25 turnovers. Mule will insist on playing and then spend all but 2 min of the game on the bench. Rafi will fire 8 point shots; all will be blocked by SJ forwards. The two opportunities the Wings have on the PP will be complete whiskey. 45 of the 60 minutes will be played in the Wings’ zone. 13 of the remaining 15 will be played in the neutral zone. Buckets won’t win a single race to a loose puck. There will be two Logan Couture’s playing for SJ. Helm will fail to convert on his two shorthanded break aways. The game tying goal will be waived off because the shadow of Homer’s ass was in the crease.

Negativity and surrender worked last game. Maybe it will work two games in a row?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/10/11 at 01:57 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Thanks Okie!

I came home from Mother’s Day dinner on Sunday and watched the best 20 minutes of hockey for the year.  That needs to continue tonight.

Drapes in, Modo in…..mix and let the chemistry happen.

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 05/10/11 at 02:00 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Willa, you better channel your inner Drake.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/10/11 at 02:03 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

To MsRedWinger :

Posted by Meg on 05/10/11 at 11:42 AM ET

Thanks so much, Meg.  Even though the odds are against us, as Jimmy Howard said again today:  “Why not us?”

cool smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/10/11 at 02:12 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Me thinks the mute button will be on tonight as well.

Not much you’re sacrificing there.  You have a dog or a cat or a firstborn son?

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 05/10/11 at 02:25 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Not much you’re sacrificing there.  You have a dog or a cat or a firstborn son?

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 05/10/11 at 12:25 PM ET

Husband?  smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/10/11 at 02:31 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Husband?
Posted by MsRedWinger from Florida, wishin’ I was back in the Mitten on 05/10/11 at 12:31 PM ET

MsRedWinger… implies no husband….
If that’s the case, feel free to sacrifice one of the neighbors husbands.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/10/11 at 02:46 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

feel free to sacrifice one of the neighbors husbands.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 on 05/10/11 at 12:46 PM ET

I really appreciate the way you think, MO.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/10/11 at 03:07 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

“Oh, we’re getting on it,” Babcock said.

Love it !!!

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/10/11 at 04:07 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

cheese

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/10/11 at 04:10 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Me thinks the mute button will be on tonight as well.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Florida, wishin’ I was back in the Mitten on 05/10/11 at 11:30 AM ET

haha love it my fellow “Ms” ...  Hubby always wonders why I turn the sound down too..he just doesn’t get it .. he’s a Lion’s fan   wink

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/10/11 at 04:13 PM ET