Abel to Yzerman

GDT - Game #64:  Red Wings at Blue Jackets (7:00)

The “stand-pat” Red Wings (41-19-3) enter tonight’s tilt at Columbus (18-37-7) in second place in the Central, due to their 3 game losing streak - and the fact that STL seem to have figured out how to win on the road.  The Central Division runner-up will almost certainly start the playoffs with the dreaded 4-5 opening round  match-up (which today would be NSH).  Won’t that be special?

I’m too disappointed to say anything else. Statistically this game shouldn’t even be close, CBJ are awful in every category.  But that assumes that the “so-called” #1 and #2 lines are playing like it fuching matters.  They should, because it absolutely does matter.

lgrw.

Central Division Standings:

GP W L OTL PTS ROW
1 STL 63 39 17 7 85 35
2 DET 63 41 19 3 85 34
3 NSH 63 37 19 7 81 34
4 CHI 64 33 24 7 73 29
5 CBJ 62 18 37 7 43 15

Team Records:

DET:  63 GP,  41-19-3, 85 pts, (4 in Conf, 2 in Central), 197 GF, 149 GA, Last 10 6-3-1, LOST 1

CBJ:  62 GP,  18-37-7, 43 pts, (15 in Conf, 5 in Central), 144 GF, 207 GA, Last 10 4-5-1, LOST 2

Home/Away Record:

DET ROAD:  15-16-1 (15th)
CBJ HOME:  11-17-3 (30th)

Stats (rank):

DET:  .675 point% (3), 3.02 G/G (5), 2.33 GA/G (5), 1.48 5-5 F/A (1), 17.5 PP% (14), 82.2 PK% (15), 32.7 S/G (5), 27.3 SA/G (4),  51.4 FO% (7).

CBJ:  .347 point% (30), 2.27 G/G (28), 3.26 GA/G (29), 0.71 5-5 F/A (30), 16.7 PP% (18), 75.5 PK% (30), 29.8 S/G (14), 30.4 SA/G (17), 51.1% (8).

Goal Differential/Game:

Rick Nash (RW/LW) 4 pts in last 4 GP

CBJ: Not Hot:
Fedor Tyutin (D) 0 pts in last 6 GP
Steve Mason (G) 1-2-1, 4.19, .876 in last 4 GPI

Injury Report:

DET:
Pavel Datsyuk (C/LW) Arthroscopic knee surgery (Sidelined indefinitely)
Patrick Eaves (RW) Jaw injury (Injured reserve)

CBJ:
Kristian Huselius (LW/RW) Groin (Injured reserve)
Aaron Johnson (D) Lower body injury (Day to day)
Radek Martinek (D) Concussion (Injured reserve)
Marc Methot (D) Broken jaw (Injured reserve)
Jared Boll (RW) Broken foot (Injured reserve)

Jeff Sagarin NHL Ratings, USAToday

MONDAY FEBRUARY 27

HOME ADVANTAGE=  0.56 RATING   W   L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 16

1 Detroit Red Wings     =  4.80   41 22   4.03(  10)  15   8 |  24 13
30 Columbus Blue Jackets   =  3.15   18 44   4.10(  1)  6 19 |  7 32
———————————————————————————————————-
TPH is “day-to-day”, Q is out.

Jakub Kindl will replace Ericsson in the lineup. Rookie Brendan Smith, recalled from Grand Rapids, will replace Quincey. If Lidstrom can’t play, Doug Janik will be recalled from the Griffins.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Chet's avatar

sad to have to say it, but homer’s just…done.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 02/28/12 at 11:07 AM ET

RorSchach's avatar

If the Wings blow this game and lose, I’m done watching for rest of this year until playoffs.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/28/12 at 11:27 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Let’s just assume that the top lines DO care, that they WILL play hard, and that the Red Wings will WIN!  (Guess I’m a “cup is half full” kind of person.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/28/12 at 11:54 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

You promise?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/28/12 at 12:01 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

You promise?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/28/12 at 09:01 AM ET

No. I never make that promise. Because I’d sit down and watch it.. Chances are with lots of beer and chicken wings.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/28/12 at 12:54 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Now now…you know what happens when somebody assumes something….

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/28/12 at 01:18 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

how can you be a glass is half full person AND a “not believe in miracles, go on hard facts, logic, rational” person and still believe our top 6 will show up?  They say we’re .500 on the road but they’re not counting OT losses.. we’re two under the mark in actuality, but we win at home so we have a phenomenal team and not just a few phenomenal players.

If they lose I wont quit watching for the rest of the season, but I probably wont watch every single minute of every single game like I usually do.  I’d definitely give it consideration whether they’re playing a home game or road game.. I’m not wasting another friday or saturday watching these turds *#$%@& float.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/28/12 at 01:23 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

All the long-whispered roster rumors in the locker room have been answered. Today the Red Wings strap on for a morning skate looking out the corner of their eyes at who has been added to successfully battle through the most demanding and physical of all professional playoffs.  Doug Janik, Brendan Smith, Jan Murszszak.

God Speed.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 02/28/12 at 01:53 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I’m not wasting another friday or saturday watching these turds *#$%@& float.

I’m gonna go out on a limb here, and speculate that the sun will still come up in the east the next morning, either way.

Posted by dougie on 02/28/12 at 01:57 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Believing in miracle solutions and trying to be positive are not the same thing.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/28/12 at 01:57 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I’m not wasting another friday or saturday watching these turds *#$%@& float.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/28/12 at 10:23 AM ET

If that’s how you really feel about the Red Wings, then by all means, find something else to do.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/28/12 at 01:59 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by dougie on 02/28/12 at 10:57 AM ET

Posted by MsRedWinger from Michigan, but now in Florida on 02/28/12 at 10:59 AM ET

Bingo.

By the way, the Blues are a perfect 6/6 points halfway through their road trip with the next challenge at Edmonton.

RSV.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 02/28/12 at 02:12 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I’m still taking my lumps from Saturday’s game…ugh.

I am hoping that the team senses the urgency.  I really don’t want to play Nashville in the first round.

Let’s go Red Wings.

Whatever happens, it’s my team and I’ll never stop watching.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 02/28/12 at 02:34 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Okie, is the injury report a little light? Isn’t E52 out for a while with a broken wrist and aren’t TPH and Quincey day to day.

About tonight…1/2 of D corps injured. Best forward in the league injured. Top two lines playing like beer leaguers. And the game is on the road. No wonder I’m not the only Eeyore in the Hasek today.

E52 has a broken wrist, TPH has a “bruised” leg, and Quincey has a pulled groin. So naturally, Kenny decides to trade away Comodore for a bag of pucks yesterday. I know comode had gained permanent residency status in Uncle Mike’s Chateau de BowWow, but given the way the injury bug had just hit the D corps, was it really a good idea to trade away defensive depth?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 02/28/12 at 02:52 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

last I checked, I didn’t declare that my viewing habits dictate celestial events.  I asked a legit question Ms Redwinger, wasn’t mean about it.

And I honestly do.  I love my hometown teams, but it doesn’t mean I want to sit and watch half-assed efforts.  Just the way it is.

I’ve literally cut trips early because if I left at that time, I could make it home in time for my game (since NHL Network doesn’t want to post a schedule ahead of time so I can DVR)  I’m about as die-hard as it gets, which is why I’ve been so vocal in my displeasure with the reinforcement added to the team, and forgive me for not buying into the mantra.  It’s not as if KH hasn’t lied to us before, whether for good or for bad.

Believe me, I’m hope I’m eating crow some June, I PRAY I’m shoveling my own grovel back down my throat.. er fingers.. but it doesn’t change that I’m pissed right now and people on the other side of the fence who just want to keep telling me I’m a *#$%@& for it is fueling the fire.

I’ve spent more time DEFENDING MY POSITION instead of reading other peoples opinions on why it was great.  And when I’ve presented two arguements counter to your opinion, you aknowledge NOTHING about them (the fact we’ve done big trades recently and we didn’t mortgage the future, we have too many prospects, we’ll HAVE TO LOSE some in 3 or 4 years, which constitutes future last I checked.  We have something like 18 players and prospects that are projected to be good enough to make this team and will be out of options by then.)

But I mention something about not wanting to waste another weekend day glued to my TV and I get 3 *#$%@& answers in a row.  whiskey foxtrot tango bitches.  Sounds like you just want to stay delusional to me.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/28/12 at 03:05 PM ET

G’morning, Jeff.

Java.  [check]
Donuts.  [check]
GDT.  [check]

Perfect day started already.

Abso-fuching-lutely right in every word, Sir.  From now on, until Franzen starts playing like the $5 million power forward we believe he can be, he will be known as Horse’s Ass.

Sick of the third line doing everything exactly as Uncle MIke wishes his top two lines to do.  Sick of it.

Referees:
Greg Kimmerly (18)
Chris Rooney (5)

Linesmen:
Scott Driscoll (68)
Michel Cormier (76)

tHIS wILL bE A fUN gAME tONIGHT.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/28/12 at 03:08 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

sorry, that was 18 F’s current players and prospects.  All of the names on that list are absolutely people you don’t want to let go.  None of them.  Some will have to.  “Those are the facts”

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/28/12 at 03:08 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 02/28/12 at 11:52 AM ET

2 words, Brendan Smith.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 02/28/12 at 03:15 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

DET Skaters:

LOOK at the names on that list. Look at them. Any team in the league would and most likely is envious. Break the list down and half of them could go to any team and set it on fire. If any one of them starts a run tonight, next week, or mid March, we are golden.  If two players step up, Katie bar the doors. The team has chemistry, talent and opportunity is knocking. You think they don’t know what time it is for the TPH?  The bench is deep and Grand Rapids is a Coaches dream of opportunities to be exploited. We are in second place.  Second fricking place…..in February.  February, our most hated of months.  2 days left and where are we?  Second place, I just told you.

I ain’t no hockey fan. I am a Red Wing fan. This is the horse ima riding into the playoffs, come hell or high water.

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, hanging with Dan Cleary.... on 02/28/12 at 03:23 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Oh, and a hearty Thanks Oakie!

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

2 words, Brendan Smith.
Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 02/28/12 at 12:15 PM ET

Smith is definitely the future of the D corps, but if he was good enough to crack the top six right now, he would have. The Wings may season their prospects in GR, but the don’t leave top six D men down there for shits and giggles.

Oh, and 3 dmen are currently on the shelf. As good of a prospect as Smith is, I dont think he can play 60 minutes a game.

Hopefully, the Wings were being truthful about the D2D status of TPH and Quincey, but I doubt it. If TPH had a slight crack in his tibia from getting hit by a puck, do yo think the Wings would admit it? Or would they say its a “bone bruise”? Ask Draper how long a D2D groin injury lasts.

I hope both sit tonight as that will be a week off between games for them.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 02/28/12 at 03:40 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I don’t agree with that. Smith didn’t need to be just good enough to play in the top six. He had to be good enough to force the team to either waive or trade a guy to make room for him.  Since Smith doesn’t have to go through waivers to get sent up or down, he was as much a victim of that circumstance as he was a D-man who isn’t good enough to outplay Jakub Kindl on a nightly basis.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/28/12 at 03:43 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/28/12 at 12:43 PM ET

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/28/12 at 04:27 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Thanks, Okie.

I always have been and always will be ...
a Detroit Red Wings fan.

12 in 12

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 02/28/12 at 04:43 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/28/12 at 12:43 PM ET
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Posted by bezukov from South of Detroit on 02/28/12 at 01:27 PM ET

Good, so we all agree that Smith is not good enough to outplay Jakub Kindl on a nightly basis; you two think Smith’s waiver status also played a role.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 02/28/12 at 04:45 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

word from Wing It In Motown:

Joey MacDonald starting.

just get the “W”, boys.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 02/28/12 at 04:54 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

sorry ...

Winging It In Motown

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 02/28/12 at 04:55 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Helene just confirmed that both Quincey and TPH are both out for tonights game. Both Smith and Janik have been called up. Anybody missing Commodore yet?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 02/28/12 at 04:56 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

JMac in net tonight.

Lidstrom out:

Filppula-Zetterberg-Hudler
Cleary-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi
Miller-Helm-Franzen
Holmstrom-Emmerton-Mursak

Kronwall-Smith
Kindl-Stuart
Janik-White

MacDonald (starting)

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/28/12 at 04:58 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 02/28/12 at 01:45 PM ET

I think his waiver status played a bigger role than that.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/28/12 at 05:04 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Understanding the panic, to which I have contributed, exactly what gleaming gem of a trade did we miss?  Sammy Pahhllssson?  A Center who at 34 years old has a career HIGH of 11 goals, only time he has scored more than 8?  ROFL!  Nice pick up Vancouver, he’s on a tear of 2 goals in his 62 games this year.  THAT would really be a cure for the Wings PP HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Who has produced more offensive numbers than Pahlsson?  Eaves, Miller, Abdelkader!

I have a difficult time looking at ANY, ANY, of the forwards coveted or who changed logos yesterday and believing how they would be an improvement for the Wings.  Gaustad, Moen?  I would not give up any of Helm, Abdelkader, Miller for any of them, not even close.  Not Holmstrom.  What would you get throwing in Emmerton and a draft pick for Moen or Gaustad?  Not a damn thing.  Dump Jan Mursak, the best young forward In camp last September?  Clearly no again.

I could be missing someone, that’s possible, but there were not many players available yesterday.  The biggest pickup might be Kostitsyn going to Nashville, a career half point per game forward torching the league this year with 12 goals and 12 assists.  If you think Pahlsson or Gaustad was the key piece for a playoff run over a currently rostered player I’d just LOL.

Playoff success will be determined by defensive cohesion and goaltending and officiating and smart effort.

I stated in here last week that if the Wings were ever to abandon the methodical, long term approach and go all in for one shot, that this was the year to do it.  There was no decent option to do that.

Like I said earlier today, this morning the Wings looked around the locker room and said, we’re it boys, let’s get to it.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 02/28/12 at 05:09 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

With all the personnel out for the game tonight, I believe we will actually win this one.  By a significant margin even.

Normally with the “old guard” playing teams like the BeeGees, I expect a 1/16 assed effort resulting in a 9-1 blowout.

Now that the Griffwings of February are finally here, I expect to see a Wings team that will actually put up a good effort and not play down to their opposition.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 02/28/12 at 05:12 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Whole lotta fear and loathing going on around here.  Nothing like the smell of napalm in the morning.  Somebody get me a fresh diaper.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 02/28/12 at 05:24 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

I think his waiver status played a bigger role than that.
Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/28/12 at 02:04 PM ET

Wait, Kindl wasn’t on a 2-way deal, was he?

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 02/28/12 at 05:40 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Wait, Kindl wasn’t on a 2-way deal, was he?

Nah.  He was called up for good.  Waived and he’d have gone the way of the Quincey.

That’s why Smith played in GR.  That, and, 10 minutes in Detroit versus 25 in GR.  People seem to forget how seasoning and the Red Wings work, lately.  It’s not just about where you play when you’re developing, it’s about how much and what role.

Furthermore, I think the Wings feel they stunted Meech’s growth parking him in the press box.  They incorrectly chose him over Quincey, but what history doesn’t very accurately show is that Quincey immediately played 20 minutes a night in LA, Meech played not at all.  That makes a big difference.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 02/28/12 at 05:54 PM ET

peiz11's avatar

Wow, I’ve never heard such doom and gloom for a team that just a week ago was on top of the world.  I have to agree with RWBill. We all wanted a power forward that would bring us to that next level, but who was available that would have provided us that? Who would you sit, if you get a guy like Gausted? Abby? Why mortgage some young talent for a guy that quite honestly isn’t that great.

Look, there is a simple problem here. The top players (Franzen, I’m looking at you) need to start playing like they care. We have the personnel to run four lines deep more effectively than any team in the league, let’s go out and freaking do it. Defensively, the scheme we’re running is working. Hell, we only let up more than two goals like three times during the streak? (I’m far too lazy right now for actual stats)

If we’re going to deep in the spring, the players we have need to play like we’ve seen them play. If they don’t, the Wings will go home early just like they have in recent years. It’s the nature of the game, who is going to get hot come playoff time.

Posted by peiz11 from Minneapolis on 02/28/12 at 06:35 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Well, well, well. I see we are in the midst of pre-playoff stress. No changes, cause nothing was out there. Did anyone really want to see Ryan Smyth in the Winged Wheel? No, really. Sami Paulsson? No, really.
Shit doesn’t happen for a reason. I am not disappointed because I did not see anyone out there that was worth the asking price or could improve the talent laden forward lines we do have.
We learned our lesson the hard way with Hossa. No matter what he was offered he was not going to sign with the Wings after ’09. So we bought ourselves a Mule instead of renting a mercenary.
Our team is homegrown for the most part, and anyone else still on board is there because they want to be. That says a lot. I am going to watch every single minute of every single game because I am a Wingaholic. And, because I paid for the damned Center Ice package just like I do every season. Because, I am a Wingaholic.

Fuch the naysayers, and the doubters, and the realists. 12 in ‘12 Bitches. 12 in ‘12.

Thanks OAkie.

Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/28/12 at 06:44 PM ET

monkey's avatar

If the Wings win their division, they’re a contender.  19 games to find out.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 02/28/12 at 07:44 PM ET

41 wins, second in the Central, fourth in the West.

Parity sucks ass.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/28/12 at 08:09 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

41 wins, second in the Central, fourth in the West.
Parity sucks ass.
Posted by SYF from a “Bron-Y-Aur Stomp” on 02/28/12 at 05:09 PM ET

3 game losing streaks suck even more.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 02/28/12 at 08:18 PM ET

1 2 >       Next »