Abel to Yzerman

GDT - Game #52:  Red Wings at Canucks (10:00)

Western Conference leaders faceoff tonight as #1 DET (34-16-1) are at #2 VAN (31-15-4).  The Wings will be trying to break above their .500 road mark (14-14) for the first time in forever, and may have a chance as they have won 3 of their last 4 road tilts.

It would help matters immeasurably if the Wings could score a PP goal.  Hell for that matter, it’d be vast improvement if they’d just generate PP scoring chances. I’m no pharmacist, but throwing bombs from the point, incessantly, just isn’t working out too well.  The Red Wings’ power play has gone 6 for 57 (10.5 percent) in the past 20 games.  To make matters worse, the ‘Nucks PK is killing a stellar 85.6%.  Homer is in tonight, maybe that’ll help (Kate needs to be performing some voodoo on that hockey stick, eh?).

LGRW.

Central Division Standings:

GP W L OTL PTS GOAL DIFF
1 DET 51 34 16 1 69 +45
2 NSH 51 31 16 4 66 +14
3 STL 49 29 13 7 65 +22
4 CHI 51 29 15 7 65 +17
5 CBJ 51 13 32 6 32 -55

Team Records:

DET:  51 GP,  34-16-1, 69 pts, (1 in Conf, 1 in Central), 163 GF, 118 GA, Last 10 8-2-0, WON 1

VAN:  50 GP,  31-15-4,  66 pts, (2 in Conf, 1 in Northwest), 161 GF, 124 GA, Last 10 7-2-1, WON 3

Home/Away Record:

DET road:  14-14-0 (9th)
VAN home:  15-6-3 (10th)

Stats (rank):

DET:  .676 point% (3), 3.10 G/G (5), 2.31 GA/G (6), 1.55 5-5 F/A (2), 18.2 PP% (12), 80.8 PK% (23), 32.8 S/G (3), 27.2 SA/G (4),  51.1 FO% (8).

VAN:  .660 point% (5), 3.16 G/G (3), 2.40 GA/G (7),  1.18 5-5 F/A (6), 23.0 PP% (1), 85.6 PK% (6), 31.5 S/G (7), 30.4 SA/G (19), 51.9% (6).

Goal Differential/Game:

Kevin Bieksa (D) 0 pts in last 4 GP
Manny Malhotra (C/LW) 0 pts in last 5 GP
Henrik Sedin (C) 1 pts in last 5 GP
Jannik Hansen (RW/LW) 3 pts in last 10 GP

Injury Report:

DET:
Patrick Eaves (RW) Jaw injury (Injured reserve)

VAN:
Andrew Ebbett (C/W) Collarbone (Injured reserve)
Steve Pinizzotto (RW) Shoulder injury (Injured reserve)
Aaron Volpatti (LW) Shoulder surgery (Injured reserve)

Jeff Sagarin NHL Ratings, USAToday

NHL 2010-2011 through games of 2012 JANUARY 31 TUESDAY

HOME ADVANTAGE=  0.55   RATING   W   L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 16

2 Detroit Red Wings     =  4.90   34 17   4.02(  11)  10   7 |  14 11
4 Vancouver Canucks     =  4.66   31 19   4.02(  12)  9   9 |  17 12

———————————————————————————————————-

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

I would love to know the criteria TSN uses for hot/not.

Roberto Luongo is hot because he’s 10-7 in his last 17 but Jimmy Howard, who is 12-5 in his last 17, is not hot because he’s 1-1 in his last two.

Posted by Garth on 02/02/12 at 12:21 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

is not hot because he’s 1-1 in his last two.
Posted by Garth on 02/02/12 at 09:21 AM ET

Oh the travesty of having an average goaltender.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/02/12 at 12:52 PM ET

Bent's avatar

If it’s Luongo, he’s automatically hot.  Remember, he’s an ‘elite’ goaltender, while JFTH is not.  Plus, it’s TSN.  Canadian team/goaltender versus American team/goaltender.

I honestly don’t understand the love for him.  Yeah he’s usually pretty good.  I don’t agree with the general feeling he’s the league’s best though.

Plus there is little in life more annoying that hearing “LOOUUUUU” after EVERY DAMN SAVE.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 02/02/12 at 12:55 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Criminy, I’ve been saying this for 3 YEARS or so.  The PP point shot is highly overrated and overused, probably the most overrated and overused facet in the game today.  It’s a relic of days gone by when teams didn’t work as much at blocking shots.

Now, it’s a waste of time, even with guys like Weber, Souray, and Chara.  It’s an extremely low-percentage play.  Goalies used to be small, not go down as much, and didn’t have 384934543805834 guys in the lanes in front of them.

Work that f***er down low and across.  Make the goalie move.  Get it behind the net some even.  And stop receiving passes and taking time to tee it up, just one-time that sonofab**ch.  THAT, and that alone, is the biggest problem with the PP.  That would cure so many ills…

Posted by Garth on 02/02/12 at 09:21 AM ET

Luongo could stop a beach ball thrown by a mentally-challenged Canucks fan (redundant?  Kidding… maybe) from 17 rows back on the opposite end of the ice 2 out of 3 times and the Canadian press would fall all over themselves praising him.  He’s not even the best goalie on his own team anymore, Schneider scares me infinitely more…

I want to see a nasty, ill-humored team.  The same team that physically beat St. Louis, because the Cancuks try to be and act tough too, but in fact they’re the same kind of cowardly team the Blues are.  If that Wings team show sup, the Canucks have no hope.

Posted by Primis on 02/02/12 at 12:56 PM ET

Norskirama's avatar

@ Bent—more annoying = tootoo whistles.

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 02/02/12 at 01:25 PM ET

Yeah he’s usually pretty good.

Yeah, he’s generally a great regular season goalie who finds a way to bury himself in the playoffs.

I suppose I chose a poor example because we’re talking about possibly the most underrated goalie in the league versus the absolutely most overrated goalie, but TSN’s hot/not are always weird and wonky and completely inconsistent.  One would think that there’s some sort of criteria and that it’s not just some intern putting together these hot/not lists for every single game every day, but they’re so baffling sometimes.

Even taking tonight’s hot/not, you could just as easily call Luongo hot because he’s 2-0 in his last two.  At least there’s some consistency.

Why do I care?  I don’t really, this is clearly an arbitrary listing, I just find it curious…

Posted by Garth on 02/02/12 at 01:26 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Garth on 02/02/12 at 10:26 AM ET

It’s not even a Canadian team thing, which is the worst part.

Fact is, Howard is an American, so the Canadian press will never have very good things to say about him.  They reserve those for Canadian goalies, whether they deserve it or not…

Posted by Primis on 02/02/12 at 01:42 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Before 2005, the blue line was 4 ft closer to the net.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 02/02/12 at 01:57 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 02/02/12 at 10:25 AM ET

For me, the Luongo thing is more annoying, for a team like the wings who can put 35+ shots on net almost every night, it is a never ending stream of LOOUUUU.  At least Tootoo isn’t on ice the whole game.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 02/02/12 at 02:01 PM ET

It’s not even a Canadian team thing, which is the worst part.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to turn this into a thing whereby Americans can cry about Canadian biases.

I’ll stop.

Posted by Garth on 02/02/12 at 02:06 PM ET

it is a never ending stream of LOOUUUU.

I generally find it amusing for a while because a) it sounds like they’re booing and b) they’ll “LOOUUUU” the easiest saves on the simplest shots, so it puts a smile on my face because it makes me think of Patrick Roy’s last game with the Canadiens.

But then after about 10 minutes of “LOOUUU"ing every single god damn save it does tend to get old.

Posted by Garth on 02/02/12 at 02:11 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Ugh…Watch out for Kesler tonight.  Really would like to see the Wings generate some traffic in front of the net on the PP.  That 4 on 3 PP on Tuesday was ridiculous…all shots from the outside.

Looking forward to a good game and hopefully 60 full minutes of Red Wings hockey (please don’t take the second period off).

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 02/02/12 at 02:37 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

What’s worse; count how many times Z chugs into the zone, peels off at the half boards and passes back to the point. Then count how many times Wally does that. Heh…who’s getting paid more to do what?

I’ve been a Zetterberg fan since day 1 of his career but holy hell he has no balls this season.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 02/02/12 at 02:39 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Yeah, although I waived the Z flag all around when he was getting hammered in here last week, he always seems to disappear behind the net with the puck and circle all the way up the other boards, with no real threat or scoring chance created.  When he’s got it on the wing I ‘d like to see him go AT the net and create havoc and loose pucks rather than just circle behind the net.  Defense hates chaos in front of their net, watching a guy skate around behind it, not so bad.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/02/12 at 03:12 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Great stuff Primis.  I agree.  My Nucks even take point shots on the 5-on-3 and I sometimes have to leave the room.

Yes boys, I will be cheering for the other guys tonight, first team first and all.  Anyway, here’s hoping for clean goals without contraversy.  Hopefully nobody scores while running over Howard and Kronwall doesn’t try to kill Kesler.  And if he does, here’s hoping a certain poster doesn’t completely blow his top and come to A2Y demanding answers.  I’ll probably drop by, but I promise to be cool.  I was a hard core Wings man, but I moved down here and then the local boys became a Wings cover band and I eventually took a seat at the banquet.  But I remain a fellow traveller of the 19.

Anyway, you can’t really knock the crowd yelling “LUUUUU” because it is awesome to support your goaler, and the Vancouver crowd is probably the quietest in the league other than that.  It is a crowd that at least knows the difference between a good and bad play, but would it kill them to get a “Go Nucks Go” happening?

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/02/12 at 03:14 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Wait, did racist F*Head Dougie say his stepsons tell him that walking on ice in high heels is not too bad?

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/02/12 at 03:23 PM ET

G’morning, Jeff.  A cup of Java?  Check.  A bowl of Munchkins?  Check.  The GDT?  Oh, yeah.  My morning’s complete.

The four-on-three against the fLames had five shots from the point and not one of them made it to the net.  I get that they’re trying to find the seams and hope that the rebounds are there for Homer, Bert, Happy, or Buckets to bury it.  Operative word:  hope.  Hope’s for Precious Moments - not on a Wings PP.

I don’t see any Game Notes that list the refs calling tonight’s game but I do expect the calls to go ALL the right way to the ‘Nucks.  Ugh…

Won’t be on the LB tonight as I have tix for the first of a three-games-in-three-nights homestand for the Wranglers.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/02/12 at 03:26 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by SYF from Dr. Ima Tearadikov’s “Office” on 02/02/12 at 12:26 PM ET

I won’t be there tonight either.  My daughter brought us tickets home for her first big performance in her college theater career.

Ugh.

I’m proud of her I guess?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/02/12 at 04:28 PM ET

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 02/02/12 at 01:28 PM ET

Had an ex-gf go to one of those when it was here in Vegas.  We’re still pals, I guess.  oh oh

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/02/12 at 04:43 PM ET

Bent's avatar

My issue isn’t with them supporting their goaltender, but every time he touches the puck you don’t need to do that.  There are plenty of other players in sports that have a last name where you can make the same sound, and you might hear it 4 times a game or something like that.  But every save, spectacular or not?  That’s always been my issue, more of an “enough already, we get it, his name starts with LOOUUU” than a “you aren’t allowed to support your goalie!”

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 02/02/12 at 05:32 PM ET

Sure you can, because they came up with a cheer that sounds like they’re booing their goalie.

Posted by Garth on 02/02/12 at 05:47 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

I’ll give you that.  When you go there you really get the sense that you are helping him play better - and god knows we don’t want to risk deflating that ego.  I can imagine that it’s pretty annoying to an out of towner watching it.  Much like the way in which Chicago playing the smuggest song ever recorded when they score bugs the shit out of me.  (or is that just cause they always score on my team?)

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/02/12 at 07:20 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Yes.  He is not the only fashionista in the family.

Is this the theme song?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyObDnoQ_6I

Posted by monkey from Finland on 02/02/12 at 08:03 PM ET

Is this the theme song?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyObDnoQ_6I

Posted by monkey from the morel high ground on 02/02/12 at 05:03 PM ET

Hairy and scary.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/02/12 at 08:09 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Hopefully nobody scores while running over Howard and Kesler doesn’t try to kill Kronwall.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from Victoria on 02/02/12 at 12:14 PM ET

Fixed.

Thanks, Okie!

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/02/12 at 08:36 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I won’t be live blogging either.  I subbed in a 7th grade Science classroom today, and I am completely exhausted.  Will watch the game tomorrow.

Have fun, all.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/02/12 at 08:38 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

That’s a funny image.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/02/12 at 08:40 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

I mean Kesler killing Kronner.  Can’t picture it.  But yes, here’s hoping they have also cribbed the chapter on revenge from the Red Wing textbook.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/02/12 at 08:41 PM ET

Referees:
Marc Joanette (25)  <====
Greg Kimmerly (18)  <====

Linesmen:
David Brisebois (96), Thor Nelson (80)

Yeeeaaahhh…

Gonna be a fun night.  sick

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/02/12 at 08:58 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Thor Nelson (80)

FUCH YEAH!  MINOT BOY!

That’s a sign bitches!

And for those who know what I’m talking about….my shop just got a ZD on our Nuclear Surety Inspection today.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/02/12 at 09:18 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Thor Nelson (80)
FUCH YEAH!  MINOT BOY!
That’s a sign bitches!
Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 02/02/12 at 06:18 PM ET

Okay…too many beers in too little time and didn’t finish typing.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/02/12 at 09:19 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Okay…too many beers in too little time and didn’t finish typing.
Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 02/02/12 at 06:19 PM ET

Aw fuch it

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/02/12 at 09:57 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Wait, just because I’ll wake up an hour before the game, no one will LB it?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 02/02/12 at 10:01 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Oh yes! I want the mojo from that stick, to stick in the craw of the whole Canucks team. And every team we face from here on in.

Homers ASS will score tonite, and, bring life back to the lifeless, dormant, Power Play.

Thanks OAkie.

Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/02/12 at 10:15 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

So Jeff MInot’s daughter is in the V monologues?  Hmmm.  Know we know where he gets all those intermission reds photos.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/02/12 at 10:25 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Tired of all the pre-game hoopla about this game. Just get er goin already.

Got a game of my own tonight at 10;15. and will catch up with you all after. We suck so bad that our goal differential is -19 after just 3 games. We had just 8 players last game and lost 11-1.

Go Wings and Go Chiefs

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 02/02/12 at 11:25 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 02/02/12 at 07:25 PM ET

I’ll have to attach a picture tomorrow…or may be able to get a guy at work to send me a pic….but this is freakin hilarious.

Ok, so my daughter Amanda is something of a prude.  A few years ago she brought this…vase…home from school that she had made.  Her intent had been a big leaf with water pouring out of it.  Well it didn’t turn out quite the way she had envisioned and mom and I affectionately named it the Pussy Pot and then displayed it proudly on the bottom shelf of a bookshelf in our laundry room behind a pile of boxes.

WELL now I have my own big office with lots of flat spaces on it and last halloween brought said pot in to fill with candy knowing full well that I was soon going to get a rash of shit from the fellas….who were all too afraid to say anything about it since I run the joint.  smile  Much fun I tell ya.

Well we are getting ready for this inspection and had to clean the place up…and one of the younger guys came into my office yesterday and asked if I wanted him to clean .... “it”.  I asked him what he was talking about and explained that he and my office mate were talking out in the smoke pit and discussed how me cleaning my daughter’s pussy pot was just perverted and my office mate cleaning it would just make him out to be a dirty old man.  So would I be okay with him cleaning it.

Man I laughed all day.

Okay…that was alot of typing and I don’t blame a one of you for not reading it all…but I just texted my office mate to send me a picture….

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/02/12 at 11:35 PM ET