Abel to Yzerman

GDT - WCQF Game 2: Red Wings (0-1) at Ducks (1-0) 10:00

Tuesdays game was pretty damn ugly.  One goal, on the powerplay, and just 22 measley SOG.  Of course, you can't shoot if you don't have the puck to begin with. Damn near the whole game was spent in the Wings end.

When the Ducks did not have the puck in the DET end, their aggressive forecheck caused DET turnovers or puck dumps to neutral ice - - so ANA could gather the puck and attack again.  DET had very limited sustained attack in the Ducks end;  the Wings were one and done - if they coiuld get through the neutral zone at all.  It seemed to me that ANA won the majority of the 50-50 puck battles - they were almost always coming off the wall with the puck.

Said Uncle Mike:  “We didn’t execute very well coming out of our own zone. We didn’t have a lot of speed, therefore we didn’t have attack time. I thought we forechecked real poorly. I didn’t think we had much energy on our forecheck. When you get a chance to go back for the puck you want to execute the first time and get moving. And if you don’t, you spend too much time in your own zone and when it’s time to forecheck you’re changing your line. You never spend any time in their zone.''

Only 2 GA (discounting the EN), so there is that.  Coulda been a case of the jitters for the young "D".  But the #1 line were out-played.  Gotta show up tonight.  LGRW.

FINAL REGULAR SEASON RECORD:

DET:  48 GP,  24-16-8,  56 pts, (7 in Conf, 3 in Central), 124 GF, 115 GA, Last 10 5-2-3,  WON 4

ANA:  48 GP,  30-12-6,  66 pts, (2 in Conf, 1 in Pacific), 140 GF, 118 GA,  Last 10 5-4-1, LOST 1

DET Road:  11-9-4 (10)

ANA Home:  16-7-1 (7)

REGULAR SEASON TEAM STATISTICS:

DET:  0.583 point% (14), 2.54 G/G (20), 2.29 GA/G (5), 1.10 5-5 F/A (7), 18.4 PP% (15), 81.7 PK% (12), 30.1 S/G (10), 27.5 SA/G (7), 50.8 FO% (10)

ANA:  0.688 point% (3), 2.79 G/G (8), 2.40 GA/G (11), 1.28 5-5 F/A (5), 21.5 PP% (4), 81.5 PK% (13) 28.1 S/G (21), 27.9 SA/G (9), 47.5 FO% (26)

Goal Differential/Game:

DET = +0.25

ANA =  +0.39

PLAYOFF TEAM STATISTICS:

DET:  0.00 point% (9), 1.00 G/G (7), 3.00 GA/G (13), 1.00 5-5 F/A (4), 25.0 PP% (6), 50.0 PK% (11), 22.0 S/G (11), 27.0 SA/G (9), 51.8 FO% (4)

ANA:  1.00 point% (1), 3.00 G/G (3), 1.00 GA/G (6), 0.00 5-5 F/A (10), 50.0 PP% (1), 75.0 PK% (11) 27.0 S/G (7), 22.0 SA/G (6), 48.2 FO% (9)

PLAYOFF PLAYER STATS:

C Andrew Cogliano 1 0 0 0 0  16:48
C Kyle Palmieri 1 0 0 0 0  10:27
R Emerson Etem 1 0 0 0 0  9:07

ANA Goalies:

Jonas Hiller 1,  1-0,  1.00,  0.955

THE HOCKEY NEWS - TOTT:

(No players listed for either team.  The players below are from end of regular season)

DET - HOT:

Helm, Darren  Back injury  injured reserve
Miller, Drew  Broken right hand  remainder of the regular season
Samuelsson, Mikael  Pectoral Injuries  sidelined indefinitely

ANA:

Sbisa, Luca  Lower body injury  day-to-day

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The diggers hint that there may be a serial killer sighting tonight:  After the Red Wings' off-ice workout, coach Mike Babcock said he hadn't decided on potential lineup changes for Game.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 >       Next »

hockeychic's avatar

Today is the last day of my 40’s. A Wings win would make my birthday.

Happy Birthday!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/02/13 at 01:18 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

Tonight its:

vs

we need some:

and

and some of this

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 05/02/13 at 01:19 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Tigers game is the free MLB.TV game of the day at 8:10 PM if anyone wants to kill time not watching other hockey games…

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/02/13 at 01:19 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I’m hoping Del Keiser logs some time on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th lines, 1st and 2nd pp units, and 1st and 2nd pk units.

come on, man, I’m not asking THAT much

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 01:20 PM ET

‘Ello, Jeff.  Cheers to the best damn GDT on the Gore.

“We didn’t execute very well coming out of our own zone. We didn’t have a lot of speed, therefore we didn’t have attack time. I thought we forechecked real poorly. I didn’t think we had much energy on our forecheck. When you get a chance to go back for the puck you want to execute the first time and get moving. And if you don’t, you spend too much time in your own zone and when it’s time to forecheck you’re changing your line. You never spend any time in their zone.’‘

Aaand by the time the Wings clear the defensive zone, it’s another trippy moment when they do the line change.  Disorganized bunch.

Referees:
Greg Kimmerly (18)
Stephen Walkom (24)

Linesmen:
Brad Kovachik (71)
Brad Lazarowich (86)

Walkdum.  Yep, we’re in for a looong night.

LGRW.

And a Happy B-Day, CaptD.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/02/13 at 01:21 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

WestWing…was that when they had chicken wire because glass hadn’t been invented yet?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 01:21 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I’ve got your road whites right here.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/02/13 at 01:26 PM ET

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 01:21 PM ET

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/02/13 at 01:27 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

tineye.com finds nothing.  who/what/where is that?!  that’s AWESOME.

I just had a great idea of how they can eliminate boarding penalties and hits from behind…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 01:36 PM ET

More PaulIMB,

I did a Google Image search for “chicken wire hockey.”

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/02/13 at 01:42 PM ET

BC's avatar

Don’t worry, I have been told that the fifties are “the new thirties”.  WHich I guess means thirty-year-olds commonly have sore joints, have to hit the head in the middle of the night, and are always forgetting stuff.

Posted by BC on 05/02/13 at 01:44 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Don’t worry, I have been told that the fifties are “the new thirties”.

You have been told a contemptible lie. Take it from someone almost finished with his “new thirties”. Just.Not.True.

But I do have more stuff now, which doesn’t suck.

Posted by dougie on 05/02/13 at 01:51 PM ET

BC's avatar

I’m “39”.

I, too like having more stuff.  Just wish I could remember where I left it.

Posted by BC on 05/02/13 at 01:55 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

sadly that is accurate.  at least in my case.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 01:55 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

thanks, Okie.

However if DET looks much better in the offensive end (even if they don’t win) we may have ourselves a series.

Posted by Primis on 05/02/13 at 08:33 AM ET

need 2 goals at least, prolly 3

Bingo. Transition game and time in the ANA end will tell if we’re going to give them a run this series or not.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/02/13 at 08:49 AM ET

agree, better transition

Basically, Howard and the D has to win this game and this series for them. ...

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 05/02/13 at 09:21 AM ET

yes, limit them to 1 or less

DET could help themselves immeasurably, on this point, by playing at least some of the game 200 feet away from Howard.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 22 on 05/02/13 at 09:27 AM ET

yup

I wouldn’t count out the Wings if they lose tonight.  next two games are in Detroit…and that gives Babbles the last change.  that seems to always make an enormous difference in the playoffs…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 09:52 AM ET

i’ve always thought the same thing ... to me, this point is big

... I feel old. Today is the last day of my 40’s. A Wings win would make my birthday.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/02/13 at 12:13 PM ET

Happy BD!

L.G.R.W.

(btw - for his sake, i hope MC doesn’t get blacked-out again ... sheesh, Gary.Ass)

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/02/13 at 01:57 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Everytime I wear RW gear on game day we lose.  Everytime.  Since it’d been a while I decided to deck out for Game 1.  Loss.

I’m not even wearing anything close to Red Wing Red and nothing hockey related.  I’m putting my lumberjack suit on, guaranteed win.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/02/13 at 01:58 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

I’m putting my lumberjack suit on, guaranteed win.

Unfortunately I cannot post images from my work ‘puter, but the image that goes to these lyrics is instantly what popped in my head when I read that post.  hehe

I’m a lumberjack and I’m okay
I sleep all night and I work all day

I cut down trees, I skip and jump
I like to press wildflowers
I put on women’s clothing
And hang around in bars

He’s a lumberjack and he’s okay
He sleeps all night and he works all day

I cut down trees, I wear high heels
Suspenders and a bra
I wish I’d been a girlie
Just like my dear papa

He’s a lumberjack and he’s okay
He sleeps all night and he works all day

LGRW

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 05/02/13 at 02:07 PM ET

I’m putting my lumberjack suit on, guaranteed win.

And now for something completely different

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 05/02/13 at 02:12 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

A coach of mine in HS used to talk about playing with the chicken wire… he said he liked it cause ya could jam the butt of your stick through the wire at a$$hole fans.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/02/13 at 02:19 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Happy Birthday! Leaving the 40’s behind is a good thing. When a woman turns 50 its like the Highlander when he cuts off the Kurgen’s head. You know everything!

I dunno, maybe men DO have to cut off the Kurgen’s head to gain the same. wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/02/13 at 02:25 PM ET

jeweler's avatar

The further I get away from game 1, I realize the kids didn’t play that poorly with it being their first taste of playoff hockey. I was ready to take Kindl out in the parking lot and light him on fire. He was giving the puck away like there were incentives in his contract for doing it.

With the Wings stealing game 2 tonight, the stage will be set for dumb and dumber (Perry and the fat guy) to show their true colors and try to injure a Wing or two.

Does anyone else think Bert should be put in the lineup tonight? Could he be any worse at this point than Cleary?

Posted by jeweler from Grand Rapids, Michigan on 05/02/13 at 02:29 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Could he be any worse at this point than Cleary?

Clearly got some scoring chances.  not sure that actually means diddly squat.  if they aren’t going in…

I’d like to see Bert play.  I hate to sit two of the guys that helped the team earn their way into the playoffs, but I’d like to see Sammy play too.  put him in Perry’s face all game.  Sammy is our best agitator, and against an emotionally fragile team like Anaheim that could be huge.

maybe we need a Tootoo/Bertuzzi/Samuelsson line grin)

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 02:37 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Heck I must be really old.  I can remember when they were road whites before they were home whites before they became road whites again.

History lesson kiddies—road whites is actually a real old school, original six thang.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/02/13 at 01:06 PM ET

They should just do like they do in the ECHL and do it one way the first half of the season, and then switch home-away for the second half.

Posted by Primis on 05/02/13 at 02:51 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Today is the last day of my 40’s. A Wings win would make my birthday.

Happy Birthday!

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 05/02/13 at 02:52 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I’m guessing if you’re an ECHL fan, that means you’re quite into hockey.  so this wouldn’t confuse you.  the average NHL fan?

uhhhhhh

the fans in Colorado and Nashville would NEVER be able to figure out wtf is going on.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 02:53 PM ET

jeweler's avatar

maybe we need a Tootoo/Bertuzzi/Samuelsson line )

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 02:37 PM ET

If that were to happen, someone would go home in a body bag
(preferrably Perry)

Posted by jeweler from Grand Rapids, Michigan on 05/02/13 at 03:00 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

The chicken wire reminded me of my playing days growing up.  Though our rink had chain link fence.  Perfect for poking people through or getting decapitated when the stick got inadvertently caught in it.  The grumpy looking dude with the Packer green and yellow gloves was me around ‘84-‘85.

Cooperalls and Bauer Turbos.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 05/02/13 at 03:03 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Disclaimer to my earlier post—I also still sometimes refer to JLA as the “new arena”.

In a related note, the cosmic dust is estimated to be about 13.7 billion years old, so relatively speaking I’m still quite young.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/02/13 at 03:06 PM ET

Primis's avatar

uhhhhhh

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 02:53 PM ET

Depends on the fanbase, some are mostly hopeless and view it all as a large open bar and little else.

ECHL teams go through 2 normal, often a special alternate third, and then a handful of one-off special occasion sweaters that then are auctioned off for charity.  So 4 or 5 different sweaters a year isn’t unusual for some.

As it stands right now, road teams all wearing white makes them all look the same anyways.  Can’t imagine that helps the casual fan in the least.

Posted by Primis on 05/02/13 at 03:12 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

And just exactly how would that be any different than the way things are now?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/02/13 at 03:25 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Bert in for 22. Sammy taking the pregame skate?

Babcock said the reason Samuelsson is possible for tonight is that someone is hurting and not be able to play. . .

Bertuzzi will play with Emmerton and Eaves. Tootoo out . . .

Power play units remain same in practice: 40-13-93, 55-24 on 1st unit; 14-51-11, 4-27 on 2nd unit . . .

Wings skating with these lines: 40-13-8, 93-51-11, 14-63-24, 17/22-25-44.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 05/02/13 at 03:36 PM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

Bertuzzi in for Tootoo. I’m a fan of it.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 05/02/13 at 03:37 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

This one always cracks me up.

Military Fairy.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/02/13 at 03:41 PM ET

Tootoo’s penalty that cost the Wings a goal was a horseshit call vis a vis all that other crap Watson let go.  And now we get the dumbest luck of all:  Walkdum officiating tonight.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/02/13 at 03:44 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes.

Glad I’m not the only one who thinks about the Joe as the new building that doesn’t have the character of the Old Red Barn. Now, whatever Ilitch Inc. manages to get built will move the fans even farther away from the action and have even less character than the Joe.  I know I’m not that old compared to some around here that remember when they played outdoors for the Cup. Is that Gramps in the background standing on the knoll?  wink

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/02/13 at 03:46 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I’d rather have Toots in for his grit and retaliatory capability. Wish buckets was sitting for unibomber.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/02/13 at 03:47 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I don’t really have a problem with the Tootoo penalty.  I did until I saw the replay of the absolutely blatant trip that they DIDN’T call.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 03:58 PM ET

Posted by Valek on 05/02/13 at 02:12 PM ET

I’m down with the former Miss California Navy:

...Carol Cleveland.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/02/13 at 04:06 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Biggest decision of the day: which jersey?

A blank road white. #19. #43. Thoughts?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/02/13 at 10:26 AM ET

Where all 3 of them, either all at once or a different one each period…

Posted by pgoody on 05/02/13 at 04:19 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Is that Gramps in the background standing on the knoll?  wink

Behind the wooden fence where you can make out the shape of a rifle barrel.

Posted by calquake on 05/02/13 at 04:30 PM ET