Abel to Yzerman

GDT - Game 17: Red Wings (7-6-3) host Blue Jackets (4-10-2) 7:30

DET are now  winless in their last four tilts (0-2-2) as they begin a 3 game homestand tonight against CBJ. At the 1/3 point of the season, the Wings sit 9th in the West.

CBJ are in the lead for the Seth Jones Sweepstakes; at 4-10-2, they own the worst record in the league.  The Blue Jackets are 1-6 on the road this season, thier lone road win coming on opening night at NSH.

The proverbial "must win" game for the Wings, wonder who shows up tonight?

SEASON RECORD:

DET:  16 GP,  7-6-3,  17 pts, (9 in Conf, 4 in Central), 43 GF, 48 GA, Last 10 4-4-2  OT 1

CBJ:  16 GP,  4-10-2,  10 pts, (15 in Conf, 5 in Central),  36 GF, 51 GA, Last 10 2-7-1  LOST 3

DET HOME:  5-3-1

CBJ ROAD:  1-6

TEAM STATISTICS:

DET:  0.531 point% (20), 2.62 G/G (18), 3.00 GA/G (22), 1.12 5-5 F/A (11), 13.5 PP% (25), 76.1 PK% (24), 29.2 S/G (14), 29.1 SA/G (18), 53.6 FO% (2)

CBJ:  0.313 point% (30), 2.19 G/G (28), 3.12 GA/G (25), 0.76 5-5 F/A (26), 13.0 PP% (28), 81.2 PK% (18), 26.9 S/G (24), 29.2 SA/G (19), 49.2 FO% (21)

Goal Differential/Game:

CBJ:

Anisimov, Artem Right foot injury day-to-day
Atkinson, Cam Lower body injury day-to-day
Dubinsky, Brandon Knee injury injured reserve

---------------------------------------------------------------------

WEDNESDAY practice lines:

It appears DET did skate yesterday, but none of the diggers posted the practice lines?

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

gowings's avatar

ok, don’t want to rain on anybody’s parade (including mine), but I have a really bad feeling about this one. Me thinking we will end up 13th by the end of the week :(

Posted by gowings from MTL on 02/21/13 at 08:49 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

CBJ are in the lead for the Seth Jones Sweepstakes

Dont worry, if Holland stays true to his word about sitting pat with the players we have, Detroit will give them a run for their money.  But they’ll probably trade their first rounder for a bag of pucks anyway.

Although, with the WIngs luck, they’ll get last overall, keep their 1st, and still lose the first overall pick to whoever ends up being 17th.

Man, I’m just full of sunshine today.

Posted by Hootinani on 02/21/13 at 09:50 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Detroit is pissed, they are playing a team already out of the playoffs, at home. They should win this by a five-goal margin, at the very least.

Detroit wins in a shootout, 3-2, after blowing a three-goal first period lead.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 02/21/13 at 10:28 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

two-goal lead, I mean

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 02/21/13 at 10:28 AM ET

DET - HOT:

Christ, what is going to take to get Zetterberg listed as hot?

Posted by Garth on 02/21/13 at 10:34 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Christ, what is going to take to get Zetterberg listed as hot?

a two-page layout in Zamboni Weekly perhaps.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 02/21/13 at 10:39 AM ET

TKShreve's avatar

Since this game is scheduled on the NHL network, and Comcast doesn’t have that channel…..... should I assume it will be blacked out?

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 02/21/13 at 10:57 AM ET

RorSchach's avatar

No game is ever blacked out if you use the interwebs and find a feed. Just saying.

Z will never be added to that Hot List. And he shouldn’t be either. He’s doing just fine without being on there. Lets keep it that way.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/21/13 at 11:04 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Following on from my post in Malik’s last entry, two stats jump out at me from this list:

Kronwall: -9
Howard: 0.897

Are these “#1 defenseman” and “franchise goalie” stats?

It’s easy to pile on the usual suspects, but to me these two have been the biggest disappointments this year. The Wings have zero chance of making the playoffs if Kronwall and Howard continue to play at the level they’re playing at now.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 02/21/13 at 11:13 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Points               Plus/Minus

Kronwall:          10                       -9
                                          Ericsson:            6                       +0
                                          Kindl:                4                       +6
                                          Lashoff:              2                       -6
                                          White:                2                       +1
                                          Smith                 1                       +4
                                          Quincey:            0                       +8
                                            Huslins:            0                       -1

Posted by w2j2 on 02/21/13 at 11:30 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by w2j2 on 02/21/13 at 10:30 AM ET

Kindl’s a stud!  cool smile

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 02/21/13 at 11:41 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I predict Fippula will score 5 goals ala Federov. Then he’ll take a victory lap around the JLA standing room platform on a unicorn that poops silver dollars. Ken Holland will be so inspired, he’ll go back in time and not trade for Quincey and will draft TJ Oshie instead of Jakob Kindl.

It will be a magical night.

or a trap. One of the two.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/21/13 at 11:46 AM ET

but to me these two have been the biggest disappointments this year.

I guess Howard could be considered disappointing if you just look at the stats, but he kept them in a bunch of games they had ZERO business being on.

Posted by Garth on 02/21/13 at 11:46 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Kindl’s a stud!
Posted by Vladimir16 on 02/21/13 at 10:41 AM ET

Kindl may not be a stud, but he has potential.
Babcock is appropriately pissed that Kindl got 3 penalties last game.
OTOH, I like his feistiness.  You can see he is out there to hit and compete, and he is getting better on the power play.
He is one of the few point men who can hit the net.

In the WHL he had some issues with being too rough on opposing players, as I recall.

I like his potential, and I would give him lots of playing time.

cool hmm

Posted by w2j2 on 02/21/13 at 11:48 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by w2j2 on 02/21/13 at 10:48 AM ET

I’m definitely rooting for the kid.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 02/21/13 at 12:02 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Kindl when he played for Kitchener:

Posted by w2j2 on 02/21/13 at 12:08 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Columbus wins in a shootout, 3-2, after Detroit blows a two-goal first period lead.

Fixed.

Trap game.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/21/13 at 12:21 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Hey, are we sure the game is on NHL Network?  Just checked the Wings site and it only lists FSD…

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/21/13 at 12:22 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Lets face it .2 of those Kindl penalties were Bravo Sierra compared to the muggings Z and Pavs were getting entering the blue line. Kronner’s game has been just damn awful with poor judgmental decisions in the D-zone.  Jimmah has stolen exactly 1 game against the Kinks. I was so mad at him for just giving up on that one breakaway. Jeez show a little effort and or passion.

The goal by Pavs last game was textbook passion and effort. I still wish he would havew been made captain . He does not need to speak English well to get his point across. He leads specifically by example.

Thanks for the great GDT as usual Okie.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 02/21/13 at 12:26 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

If you watched the Pittsburgh/Phlly game last night you saw how ugly the detroit officiating was, especially the crap interference.  Although Sid got away with a pretty textbook hook on a breakaway, but he’s special.

I agree.  Jimmy just isn’t hitting a good groove for more than 5 minutes this year.  And he’s been in the league long enough to know by now how not to be absolutely horrible at playing the puck!!!

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/21/13 at 12:36 PM ET

I find truth in both these posts. At times Howard shows remarkable athleticism and makes highlight reel saves…but he’s still prone to letting in a bad goal a game which can not happen in the playoffs. His positioning at times leaves a lot to be desired. He’s been outstanding in shootouts and pretty awful on breakaways in regulation time. The team in front of him hasn’t looked all that good for large stretches this season, but I’ve felt for a while that he doesn’t look like a goalie who can lead a team to a Cup. I do like the guy, though. Hell before Toots showed up he was our enforcer for christ’s sake.

Kronwall has been very noticeably average.

Posted by godblender on 02/21/13 at 12:37 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/21/13 at 11:22 AM ET

The game is not on NHLN tonight, according to NHLN website: http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebyseason.htm?season=20122013&gameType=2&team;=&network=NHLN-US&venue;=

The Wing’s broadcast schedule seems to be a bit off at times.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/21/13 at 12:37 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Jimmy starting.  Huskins in for Yak. Eaves scratched.

Too hard to post lines from phone.  Red Wings Twitter has the lines.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/21/13 at 12:41 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Kronwall has been very noticeably average.

I think he’s thinking too much about doing everything, covering for his partner, maybe, and getting out of his element.  He looks forced in almost everything he does.

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/21/13 at 12:42 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks, TreKonnor.

And thanks, Okie, for the GDT!

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/21/13 at 12:48 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Kronwall has been very noticeably average.

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/21/13 at 11:42 AM ET

Absolutely.  I haven’t seen each game, but from what I’ve seen I haven’t noticed him Kronwall anyone this season.  I think a good hit could get him back into shape.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/21/13 at 12:50 PM ET

Thanks, Jeff, and good morning, Sir.  Raising a 20-ounce ceramic HRH mug of piping hot Java in your direction.

Yes, I saw your comment on the last LB about the zone-to-zone passing and, I agree that’s something that needs more attention.  Maybe an intra-squad shimmy is in order or something.

Referees:
Eric Furlatt-27
Ian Walsh-29     <————————

Linesmen:
Steve Miller-89
David Brisebois-96

Ian friggin’ Walsh.  A Walkdum blowhard.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/21/13 at 12:54 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Garth on 02/21/13 at 10:46 AM ET

That is right, and a problem of just analyzing by box score.  I was somewhat horrified at the save number, but doesn’t take long to remember all the breakaways and odd man rushes the Wings have given up with Jimmy in goal.  Still I’m sure he as well as us expect him to stone some of those.

There has been a whole lot of dysfunctionality as well as injury and roster turmoil.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/21/13 at 01:02 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I have thought this since day one. Don’t get me wrong, I really like Jimmah too. I love his fighting spirit. My problems with him stem from the fact that he always needs a 3 goal cushion in order to win, and, in today’s NHL goals are harder to come by. He needs to steal us some games, and, send the opposing team home shaking their heads. Not just one good period.

The goaltender is the most important player on the ice. He is the last line of defense.

I wish, just for once in my lifetime, the Wings would go out and get a franchise goalkeeper. Hasek was that goalie, but it wasn’t until the end of career that he came to Detroit.

Thanks OAkie.

Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/21/13 at 01:12 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

If LA, EDM, COL, and MINN win their 16th game, 1 game in hand on Detroit, the Wings would effectively be tied for 12th.

We could temporarily jump up to 6th with a win.

It may feel greasy but it’s critical to pick up those 1 point OT games, just to stay in contact with the Peloton of Suck.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/21/13 at 01:14 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Well, Jimmy did steal the game vs LA, didn’t he?  Maybe need more of those, like a Hasek in Buffalo season full of them.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/21/13 at 01:16 PM ET

Still I’m sure he as well as us expect him to stone some of those.

Yeah, I’ll give up that one.  The d should be doing everything in their power to not give up breakaways based on the way Howard has practically jumped out of the way of the puck on every breakaway.

Posted by Garth on 02/21/13 at 01:24 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

I wish the team played D like they did last year for MacDonald when Jimmah was out keeping the home winning streak going to a record. They did a wonderful job just circling the wagons in support of their goaltender.

I agree with you about Howard Kate. He has given up too many goals at inopportune times in the playoffs. The players dont seem to try to bail him out like they did with Ozzie when he gave up a stinkeroo goal. They just seem to have that look like the wind was blown out of their sails. Can this be fixed? I don’t know.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 02/21/13 at 01:46 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

The d should be doing everything in their power to not give up…..........

Posted by Garth on 02/21/13 at 12:24 PM ET

Yes, yes they should be. I know I’m cherry picking here.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/21/13 at 02:02 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Kronwall needs to make his game more like Ericsson - simplify and just play defense. Same with Fippula - his spinning at the blueline = turnovers. Play it simple and hard.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/21/13 at 02:13 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/21/13 at 01:13 PM ET

Good point. I have always liked E-52.  I just thought of him as a late bloomer and switching from FW to D was a transition that took more time than any of us thought. The flesh was willing, but, the mind had plans of its own.

Kronner needs to relax and simplify. Just as you have wisely pointed out.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/21/13 at 02:22 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I’ve enjoyed reading your comments today.  Agree that Kronwall is trying too hard, and Jimmah not quite enough.

LGRW!!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/21/13 at 02:33 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

If I was Jimmah, and I had that defensive corps (corpse?) in front of me, I might feel a bit deflated as well. For every shift there’s no Lidstrom, he gets a little more rubber thrown at him. He needs some help.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/21/13 at 02:39 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Maybe I’m being unfair to Jimmah to say he’s not trying hard enough.  Maybe he’s doing the best he can.  But I agree with Kate that the goalie needs to steal games.  He shouldn’t need such airtight protection from the D in front of him.  And some of those breakaway goals he’s given up this year have really had me scratching my head.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/21/13 at 03:01 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

The turnovers, giveaways and over inability to transition from the back end through neutral ice…. toss in a bunch of odd man rushes and Jimmys tendency to swim in the crease and we have a recipe for piss poor #‘s for any goalie.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 02/21/13 at 03:15 PM ET