Abel to Yzerman

From Datsyuk to Abdelkader To Datsyuk To Russia And Back To Babcock: It’s a Live Blog

Listening to 97.1 today has been interesting.  Our post yesterday has been cited much of the day on this station and in a few other places and it's brought on a lot of side discussions focusing on two things:

Should the Wings trade Pavel Datsyuk while they can get something for him and while it's clear this team is not going to win this year?

Is Mike Babcock in danger of being fired, and would that be the right move?

My takes: I obviously believe Datsyuk is gone after next year.  I also have seen nothing from Ken Holland that tells me any moves will be made to make a final run to get 13 one more ring. Holland didn't do it for Lidstrom and he won't do it for Datsyuk. In fact, he's done nothing since Hossa left.  Nothing.  If the status quo remains because he "likes our team"?  He might as well get something for Datsyuk.  Callous? Yes. Realistic? Yes.  We love Datsyuk. He's the most popular Wing since The Captain, the first one.  But Holland has to know he's on his way out and not considering this option would be negligent.

If the right deal comes along: a young, can't-miss superstar along with multiple 1st and 2nd round picks...it has to be considered.

Mike Babcock has been in that seat for 8 seasons.  That's a long time.  We've been here for the whole thing. We're tired of his act just like we're tired of Holland's, especially now when the team has stagnated.  That's us.  And, frankly, it carries no water. We're fans and our opinion of his work has no bearing.  We're tired of him, largely, but that doesn't matter.

But the players?  I have no idea if they're tuning him (Babcock) out.  But this Datsyuk thing...it's so glaring.  He's had this science project going for a month and it's been a failure.  He's kept Justin Abdelkader on Datsyuk's line and that should have been a four game failed experiment.

It's a tough time. It's difficult because we see the problems and we hear the same old crap.  Hell, I even heard a quote from Babcock just a few days ago..and he used the "sun came up" thing again.  Seriously.

It may be time to clean house altogether. From Holland down.  Mike Ilitch will not do that. He won't fire Kenny Holland.

Unless...if word filters up that Steve Yzerman's available?  All bets are off.

All of that is the future.  This is a Live Blog (bitches) and that is most definitely the present, and the present is sucking hard.  The playoffs are still...a consideration.  They are.  And if you make it, well shit.  You never know.  And man this would be something if they made a run after this clusterfuch of a season.

Once again, as we've said so many times...It has to start tonite.  It must.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 6 7 8

alukacs's avatar

So we are still trading Pav and running Fil out of town? Or should we start bitching about #24, just to mix things up a little?

Posted by alukacs on 03/16/13 at 12:16 AM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

2 points tomorrow…Let’s Go Red Wings…!!! Good Natt Y’all

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 03/16/13 at 12:17 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Don’t worry… you scare us too. cheese

Posted by calquake on 03/16/13 at 12:04 AM ET

What can I say, I’ve got a face for radio. wink

Glad I was wrong about losing.  Didn’t particularly care for the way we played but we got 2 points.  I don’t care how we close as long as we close.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/16/13 at 12:17 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Sorry I missed the LB bitches…but I was there in spirit (and on Droid)....I’m at the hospital with one of my troops who I have to ask for some prayers for.  He went to wake his son (2 mos old) up from a nap this afternoon and found him passed away.  His wife immediately put it on herself and took alot of pills which we still don’t know all was there.  She’s recovering…but Tommy is a mess.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 03/16/13 at 12:18 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Can’t wait to see the highlights though.

calquake's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 03/16/13 at 12:18 AM ET

I’m sorry to hear that Jeff.  The prayers of the 19 go out to those in need.

Posted by calquake on 03/16/13 at 12:19 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by alukacs on 03/16/13 at 12:16 AM ET

How mad were you at Mickey and Ken for bringing Brunner’s drought up?

Damn them.

——

Damn Jeff, they’ve got mine.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/16/13 at 12:21 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Prayers to your airman Jeff.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/16/13 at 12:24 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Oh and I’m sorry to be the debbiedowner tonight…just got a healthy dose of reality.  Thanks bitches…see you next game.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 03/16/13 at 12:26 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

So very sorry Jeff. My prayers to the family.

Sincerely,
Kate

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/16/13 at 12:27 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

every time we win from here on out im playing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ild36cIellI

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/16/13 at 12:34 AM ET

Johan Franzen is fuching useless.

Good win by Dangles allby hisself.  I’m drunk…

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 03/16/13 at 03:27 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Wow… hoping for the best 42Jeff.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/16/13 at 08:20 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Jeff, that’s a terrible tragedy.  My heart goes out to your friend and his wife.

When I saw that Pav scored the GWG in overtime last night, my first thought was: If they traded Pav they’d be trading the heart and soul of this team.  Aint gonna happen.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/16/13 at 09:08 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

OK, one more comment about Pav and the trade argument, and then I’ll let it go.

I just watched the highlights and post-game interviews via Malik’s blog.  Pavel scored that magical goal after that magnificent deke and, in every interview, he gave the credit to Mule for making a good pass.

This is a guy who inspires love and loyalty in the fans. And doesn’t the business of hockey benefit from the development of fan loyalty?  Pav will never be traded unless he asks to be traded.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/16/13 at 09:25 AM ET