Abel to Yzerman

From Datsyuk to Abdelkader To Datsyuk To Russia And Back To Babcock: It’s a Live Blog

Listening to 97.1 today has been interesting.  Our post yesterday has been cited much of the day on this station and in a few other places and it's brought on a lot of side discussions focusing on two things:

Should the Wings trade Pavel Datsyuk while they can get something for him and while it's clear this team is not going to win this year?

Is Mike Babcock in danger of being fired, and would that be the right move?

My takes: I obviously believe Datsyuk is gone after next year.  I also have seen nothing from Ken Holland that tells me any moves will be made to make a final run to get 13 one more ring. Holland didn't do it for Lidstrom and he won't do it for Datsyuk. In fact, he's done nothing since Hossa left.  Nothing.  If the status quo remains because he "likes our team"?  He might as well get something for Datsyuk.  Callous? Yes. Realistic? Yes.  We love Datsyuk. He's the most popular Wing since The Captain, the first one.  But Holland has to know he's on his way out and not considering this option would be negligent.

If the right deal comes along: a young, can't-miss superstar along with multiple 1st and 2nd round picks...it has to be considered.

Mike Babcock has been in that seat for 8 seasons.  That's a long time.  We've been here for the whole thing. We're tired of his act just like we're tired of Holland's, especially now when the team has stagnated.  That's us.  And, frankly, it carries no water. We're fans and our opinion of his work has no bearing.  We're tired of him, largely, but that doesn't matter.

But the players?  I have no idea if they're tuning him (Babcock) out.  But this Datsyuk thing...it's so glaring.  He's had this science project going for a month and it's been a failure.  He's kept Justin Abdelkader on Datsyuk's line and that should have been a four game failed experiment.

It's a tough time. It's difficult because we see the problems and we hear the same old crap.  Hell, I even heard a quote from Babcock just a few days ago..and he used the "sun came up" thing again.  Seriously.

It may be time to clean house altogether. From Holland down.  Mike Ilitch will not do that. He won't fire Kenny Holland.

Unless...if word filters up that Steve Yzerman's available?  All bets are off.

All of that is the future.  This is a Live Blog (bitches) and that is most definitely the present, and the present is sucking hard.  The playoffs are still...a consideration.  They are.  And if you make it, well shit.  You never know.  And man this would be something if they made a run after this clusterfuch of a season.

Once again, as we've said so many times...It has to start tonite.  It must.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›      Next »

Rumbear's avatar

Lets Fo Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/15/13 at 10:22 PM ET

Kate, yur Guching keyboard is doing it again…...

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 03/15/13 at 10:24 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

The Dead Wings were awful.

The frustrating thing about this bad team, they have some incredible talent, and can be decent.  It just isn’t.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/15/13 at 10:26 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Kate, yur Guching keyboard is doing it again…...

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, enjoying the decline…... on 03/15/13 at 10:24 PM ET

Son of a Nitch.

Posted by calquake on 03/15/13 at 10:26 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Pasha for Evander Kane and Jacob Trouba.

See, now your thinking.  And I agree, Pav deserves better.  But I’m starting to think he deserves better than the Wings right now, too.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/15/13 at 10:26 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Kate, yur Guching keyboard is doing it again…...

It’s like Homer Simpson and the fat fingers. My fingers are too fat to type. Please try again.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/15/13 at 10:27 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Kate,
Have you ever thought about getting a ipad portolio with keyboard….might help.

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 03/15/13 at 10:27 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Clearly quite a few of us were raised on Detroit Red Wing hockey that was, well, let’s just say, not always at the level of excellence we’ve witnessed over the past twenty years or so.

Come to think of it, that’s where I first learned how well drinking and hockey go together.  I think I’ll have another beer.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/15/13 at 10:28 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/15/13 at 10:28 PM ET

My liver applauds you.

Posted by calquake on 03/15/13 at 10:28 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Rummie remind me.. did you get midwest venison this year?

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/15/13 at 10:29 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Magic by Pav, and Kindl wastes is instead finding someone in open space.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/15/13 at 10:29 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

If ya ever played boot hockey you know exactly how well drinking and hockey go hand in hand.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/15/13 at 10:32 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Rummie remind me.. did you get midwest venison this year?

None.  Although I did find a vacuum packed package from our last exchanged…fine grind, I believe.  It was still good and I made some great burgers.  Mixed in a little bacon for “consistancy”.

MMmmmmmmmm!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 03/15/13 at 10:32 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Sure, give Quincey the best setup of the game

Posted by Hootinani on 03/15/13 at 10:32 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Just my imagination or does this team actually hit the goal post more often than they score goals?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/15/13 at 10:33 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Kate,
Have you ever thought about getting a ipad portolio with keyboard….might help.

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer’s chair on 03/15/13 at 10:27 PM ET

Yes, but, I really only use the iPad for recreational purposes. Not work.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/15/13 at 10:34 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Sure, give Quincey the best setup of the game

Could be worse.. it could’ve been Abby.

Posted by calquake on 03/15/13 at 10:34 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

You still have my email addy Rummie?
I made some venison burger mixed with beef trim and bacon thats fkn epicly good cooked over charcoal.
I will send ya a care package for a left coast cookout…...

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/15/13 at 10:35 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Yes, but, I really only use the iPad for recreational purposes. Not work.

Ima just leaving that one alone,  back to you Cal.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 03/15/13 at 10:35 PM ET

Sure, give Quincey the best setup of the game

Posted by Hootinani from Just outside Delta College Admissions Office on 03/15/13 at 10:32 PM ET

Still came closer than Franzen ever does these days.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 03/15/13 at 10:35 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

DONG

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/15/13 at 10:35 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Did someone say set up Abby…. or almost anyway.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/15/13 at 10:36 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Still came closer than Franzen ever does these days.

Posted by Valek on 03/15/13 at 10:35 PM ET

Who is this Franzen you speak of?

Posted by Hootinani on 03/15/13 at 10:36 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

Who is this Franzen you speak of?

a farm animal of some sort, an ass i believe.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 03/15/13 at 10:37 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

7 fuching shots

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/15/13 at 10:38 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Yes, but, I really only use the iPad for recreational purposes. Not work.

Ima just leaving that one alone,  back to you Cal.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, enjoying the decline…... on 03/15/13 at 10:35 PM ET

Moi?  I took a shot at Kate earlier in the blog… don’t want to go to that well too often.

Posted by calquake on 03/15/13 at 10:38 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

You still have my email addy Rummie?

Just checked…Yup.  I would be eternally grateful!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 03/15/13 at 10:38 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

My youngest son was born in ‘83. He’s pretty much known only the Good Red Wings.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/15/13 at 10:39 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Email me the mail to addy and I will get something out this week.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/15/13 at 10:40 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

7 fuching shots against the worst SA/G team in the league (33.9/G).

Obscene

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/15/13 at 10:40 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

JIMMAH

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 03/15/13 at 10:41 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Hola 19 .Just catching up. What a shitty Damn day at work and this game is not looking much better.
A Red Wing win would salvage what is left of the rest of my birthday.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 03/15/13 at 10:42 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Happy Birthday CNurse… you’d be 75 in EMS years.

Posted by calquake on 03/15/13 at 10:43 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/15/13 at 10:39 PM ET

As I said last LB, I worry about the young ‘uns.  To some of us it’s almost nostalgic to see Red Wing teams this inept, but there’s a whole generation or two who’ve never seen anything like this.  Must be shocking.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/15/13 at 10:44 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Happy Birthday Cigar!

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/15/13 at 10:45 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Happy birthday man.  I think I’ll pour myself another drink to toast the occasion.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/15/13 at 10:46 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Email me the mail to addy and I will get something out this week.

Message sent.  You like trout?

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 03/15/13 at 10:46 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

My Grandson uses the iPad more than I do. Great educational tool. I use it for pinball and lame stuff.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/15/13 at 10:47 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Seriously this team hits the post far more often than they score.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/15/13 at 10:47 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Happy Birthday!  May South Cakalakee be a rocking tonite!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 03/15/13 at 10:48 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Seriously this team hits the post far more often than they score.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/15/13 at 10:47 PM ET

Just wait… when they increase the size of the net… we’ll still hit the post.

Posted by calquake on 03/15/13 at 10:49 PM ET