Abel to Yzerman

Fredo’s Back Soon, And This Time For Good

How long before we see this?  "Getting Carlo back is just like kicking some tires at the deadline and coming away with a special player, a special man, really. I like our team."

Ken Holland's big offseason splash is on the verge of returning, essentially guaranteeing the Wings one period of excellence before he gets hurt again.

Defenceman Carlo Colaiacovo also feels he’s been upgraded to day-to-day status. Out since suffering a shoulder injury during Detroit’s season-opening 6-0 loss at St. Louis, Colaiacovo has dealt with setbacks in his recovery, but feels he’s finally over the hump and nearly ready to play.

Well, that's just super.

In case you didn't know, and you wouldn't be alone if you didn't...eh Kenny?, Fredo's been hurt before.

The nickname “Glass Carlo” isn’t a very kind one but it unfortunately has been a pretty truthful one over the last few seasons. Over the last three seasons Colaiacovo has played in 64, 65 and 67 games. From concussion-like symptoms to hamstring injuries, to wrist injuries and the infamous “lower-body” injury, Colaiacovo has experienced it all.

That's from a Blues site, because I couldn't find anything from our Diggers acknowledging the fact that Fragile Fredo's been hurt before, ever.

But, hey. He'll be back soon and I'm sure all that nastiness is behind him.

In other news, Patrick Eaves has strained joints in his jaw.  A puck hit him there and it strained his joints.  Gustav Nyquist is coming back up because we need him to play 7 minutes tonite, while Justin Abdelkader plays 17 and puts his ass in the general vicinity of any puck shot by Pavel Datsyuk. Score!

We're going to go ahead and Live Blog the game tonite because VS told us it's a Huge Rivalry Game.  This is not the Live Blog. It's just a simple post from a simple man.

See you tonite. Bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Ken Holland’s big offseason splash is on the verge of returning

Sweet.  Tick Tock’s getting an early jump on our “deadline acquisitions”.

Posted by Garth on 03/20/13 at 01:14 PM ET

Well, hey!  There’s Komisarek sitting right there on the waiver wire.  He’s a right-handed shot, too.

Where you going, Ken?  Only $5.5 million.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 03/20/13 at 01:18 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Yes, I can hardly wait until they send Lashoff down to GR.

cool mad

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/20/13 at 01:27 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Forgive me if this has been covered already, but did anyone else catch this nugget buried in Khan’s article on Drew Stafford?

Goals have been hard to come by for the Red Wings, whose forward depth has been eroded by injuries to Darren Helm, Todd Bertuzzi and Mikael Samuelsson, of which, only the latter is certain to return this season.

Refreshing to see someone else finally coming to terms with this.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 03/20/13 at 01:32 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

of which, only the latter is certain to return this season.

there are only 19 games left in the season. How fuching crazy is that?

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 03/20/13 at 01:35 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

there are only 19 games left in the season. How fuching crazy is that?

Crazy.

I agree, Komisarek would be a nice fit.  Not that tick-tock will do anything but it’s still a nice thought.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 03/20/13 at 01:50 PM ET

I agree, Komisarek would be a nice fit.

Because the defense are playing too well as it is?

Posted by Garth on 03/20/13 at 01:52 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Few seasons?  I don’t think he has played a full NHL season in his career.  Is there an opposite to the Ironman award?  Call it the Lindros and hand it right to Cola.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/20/13 at 01:53 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Where you going, Ken?  Only $5.5 million.

Posted by SYF from calquake’s low standards…verily on 03/20/13 at 01:18 PM ET

Yeah, and Sheldon Souray was available last summer and he signed Cola while leaving money on the table this year in the form of cap space.
“What’s that, Tick Tock? Oh, you’re not really that into big tough guys that play with an edge. Okey dokey, thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, me neither. That’s why Konstaninov was my favorite defensman. He was a nice fella.” FECK!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/20/13 at 01:53 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Well Tick Tock has thrown down the gauntlet: play yourselves into position, and I might be active at the deadline. I say, I’d they manage tonight’s game, one of two against Anaheim, and a win against Phoenix, it will be a super human accomplishment, and Kenny better fu%#ing respect it with some reward. Of course, if he waits long enough, the Isles will sign Lubomir to an extension and get him off the hook.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/20/13 at 01:55 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Cola’s games played by season, starting with his first “full” NHL stint in 06-07

2006-07   48
2007–08   28
2008–09   73
2009–10   67
2010–11   65
2011–12   64
2012-13   ?/1

BUST. Get Komisauras Rex as they called him up North.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 03/20/13 at 02:07 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

“Glass Carlo”

Hey, hey…...Sounds like a marital device you could pick up at the Logan Couture shop in San Francisco.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 03/20/13 at 02:09 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

BUST.

wrong. we don’t sign “busts”.  he’s a “project”.  Just like Uwe Krupp.  Tick Tock expects his Sasquatch ass back any day…maybe even at the deadline.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 03/20/13 at 02:10 PM ET

As annoyed as I am about what he did and didn’t do last summer, Souray signed while Holland was still in the running for Suter.

Not to say that he couldn’t have split his attention and look at get another defenseman while also pursuing Suter, just saying that he didn’t choose Cola over Souray.

Get Komisauras Rex as they called him up North.

Why?  Because a bag of shit is better than a broken bottle?

Posted by Garth on 03/20/13 at 02:10 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Fredo’s Back Soon

Wait, how did he got off the bottom of the lake?  I thought he was “dead” to us?  I’m confused.

” . . just like kicking some tires at the deadline and coming away with a special player, a special man, really. I like our team.”

I really don’t expect anything else.

Capgeek says DET have $45.8 committed to 16 players next season.  That leaves 18.5 to fill out the roster; including UFA Wally, Cleary (see ya), Brunner and Miller - as well as White, Huskins and Howard.  Andersson, Yak and Smith are RFA.

Jimmy is getting a raise from 2.25.
Wally is too, or going somewhere else, from 3.0.
Brunner gets more than 1.35
Miller has earned more than 0.837
Cleary is probably gone
White - is probably gone
Huskins - is probably gone

The RFA’s are all probably due for a raise
Andersson 0.837
Kindl 0.833
Smith 0.875

If you think Holland can get it done shelling out about $10-$11 more.  Then he damn sure ought to go shopping.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/20/13 at 02:11 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

The RFA’s are all due for a raise

Fixt.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/20/13 at 02:13 PM ET

Miller has earned more than 0.837
Cleary is probably gone
White - is probably gone
Huskins - is probably gone

I would say that Miller is probably gone too.  At some point someone in the org needs to realize there are too many bottom-sixers and it’s easiest to cut ties with the guy whose contract is up.

I would also hope that there are two buyouts that would free up exactly $5.5M.

The RFA’s are all probably due for a raise
Andersson 0.837
Kindl 0.833
Smith 0.875

Nyquist’s contract is up too, but I would think that all of these guys would get pretty modest raises.

Posted by Garth on 03/20/13 at 02:17 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by Garth on 03/20/13 at 02:10 PM ET

That’s why you never put all your eggs in one basket. It’s not like those two are Datsyuk and Lidstrom.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/20/13 at 02:28 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I would also hope that there are two buyouts that would free up exactly $5.5M.
Posted by Garth on 03/20/13 at 02:17 PM ET

Buy out Colawhatshisface 2.5, Sammy 3 and with Bert’s retirement 2 and you’ve got a cool 7.5 to work with.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/20/13 at 02:31 PM ET

I think there are only two “free” buyouts.

Posted by Garth on 03/20/13 at 02:34 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I think there are only two “free” buyouts.
Posted by Garth on 03/20/13 at 02:34 PM ET

My crystal ball says Bertuzzi’s back has given up the ghost and he’ll call it quits. My ball’s been wrong before though

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/20/13 at 02:36 PM ET

Under the old CBA, there was no cap limit for the playoffs.  Are those rules still there?

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 03/20/13 at 02:38 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

How long before we see this?  “Getting Carlo back is just like kicking some tires at the deadline and coming away with a special player, a special man, really. I like our team.”

Nothing emulates the past four plus years of roster management better than this opener.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 03/20/13 at 02:43 PM ET

moocat's avatar

Posted by Hootinani on 03/20/13 at 01:53 PM ET

I’m pretty sure Tom Poti has Cola beat…he can’t even be the best at being hurt.

Posted by moocat on 03/20/13 at 03:06 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by Garth on 03/20/13 at 02:10 PM ET

The dagger for me in that whole Suter debacle was Carle signing with Yzerman later that day.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 03/20/13 at 03:13 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 03/20/13 at 03:13 PM ET

Ooofff… I forgot aboot that mad

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/20/13 at 03:17 PM ET

Yeah, but his is a 35+ contract, I believe, so we’d be effed if he retires.

Yeah, that sucked…

Posted by Garth on 03/20/13 at 03:23 PM ET

Springing in Malik Injury Report.

I was just trying to find a report that would list man games lost collectively.  Cola and William Tell lead the Wings in MGLs.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 03/20/13 at 03:24 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

wrong. we don’t sign “busts”.  he’s a “project”.  Just like Uwe Krupp.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 03/20/13 at 02:10 PM ET

Whoa, ease up on Uwe, he was an excellent project, if you believe NHL players should be judged on how many dog sled races they participated in.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/20/13 at 03:28 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Does anybody know if the 2 amnesty buyouts expire?  In other words, can Kenny save them for as long as he wants under the current collective bargaining agreement?

I would love for Holland to buy out Sammy, Q, Johan, and maybe Abs but I’m not sure if it’s worth it for any of them.  Sammy and Q both only have only 1 year left on their deals following this season.  Johan is a deadbeat but he still scores and the Wings have limited top 6 talent w/ experience.  Abs contract is bad for value but it wouldn’t really save that much cap space.  There is also the fact that the Wings would nothing in return.  It might be smart to save the buyouts for a really really bad contract or if things get especially tight.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 03/20/13 at 04:32 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I’m sitting in a quilt shop while then better half shops. Y’all are on fire today. This thread has had me in non stop smirks and chuckles prompting the wife to ask if I was chatting with my fake friends.  KH did not have a good offseason. So it’s just beating a dead horse at this point. KHIHWHT. So we’ll go as far this team takes us. My hope is that that is all the way to a great position in the draft lottery.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/20/13 at 04:35 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Does anybody know if the 2 amnesty buyouts expire?

This offseason and next, and then they expire.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/20/13 at 04:37 PM ET

I’m pretty sure they’re only available this coming offseason.  They changed the rule to allow buyouts before this season started (for the likes of Gomez and Redden), but I think the main reason they even exist in the first place was because of the cap going to next season.

Posted by Garth on 03/20/13 at 04:38 PM ET

My mistake.  They’re good for this off season and the next.

Posted by Garth on 03/20/13 at 04:39 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Thanks Hoots/Garth.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 03/20/13 at 04:43 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Dump Sammy this year and Franzen after next season in that case.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 03/20/13 at 04:44 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I’m pretty sure Tom Poti has Cola beat…he can’t even be the best at being hurt.

Posted by moocat
        on 03/20/13 at 03:06 PM ET

At least Poti had a few almost full seasons, with only a game or 3 missed.  And now that I’m looking, it doesn’t look like Cola ever played a full OHL or AHL season either.

Glass maybe a little too hardy a nickname for him.  How about “Wet Tissue Paper Carlo”?

Posted by Hootinani on 03/20/13 at 04:47 PM ET

Dump Sammy this year and Franzen after next season in that case.

Franzen’s still good for 25-30 a year.  He’s frustrating, but he puts up numbers and usually comes alive in the playoffs.  Plus, paying him that much money just to play against us (and you know that if we bought him out, he might suck for every other game but he would light up the Wings every single time) would be crazy.

Posted by Garth on 03/20/13 at 04:56 PM ET

At least Poti had a few almost full seasons, with only a game or 3 missed.

Yeah. Wet Tissue’s best NHL year was 73 games and Poti did 73 or more six times.

Posted by Garth on 03/20/13 at 05:06 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Caligula will continue his “orgy” of injuries when he comes back, much like all of us prognosticators believe. We have to think that way, because if something good happens we all dont drop dead at the same time.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/20/13 at 05:06 PM ET