Abel to Yzerman

Final Day and Final Game

Well, the season of our absolute discontent ends today.  What a shit show.

But, the Holland Failure pales in comparison (temporarily) to what this game means.

One more game at Joe Louis Arena.

One more game in the place where Steve Yzerman was essentially born, where Darren McCarty scored the greatest goal of his career a few months after he beat Claude Lemieux to a glorious, bloody pulp (about 90 minutes before he scored the second greatest goal of his career).

It's the place where the Cup was raised after 42 years of impotence, where Octopi flew, where Bowman skated, where Probert prowled, where "Don't Stop Believin'" became a legitimate anthem.

I mentioned it yesterday. My greatest moment came with one of you.  Osrt and I attended game 1 of the Cup Final in '08.  You can read about our adventure here

In 2010, we did something at the Joe.  We, you and I but mostly all of you, brought Herm to Hockeytown.  7 years ago. Holy hell. It honestly feels like longer.  Our boy, Herm, in Brazil, had never been to a Wing game but he was as ferocious a Wing fan as any of us.  So, we got him to Detroit.  Read about it here

I tell you, I haven't been as emotional as some about the closing of JLA.  But, when you think about us, about the community that started with A2Y and expanded to other blogs and around the nation (the world, actually), it was always the Joe that somehow brought us together.

See ya, JLA.

LGRW. It's a live blog, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

Little Redhead's avatar

“Every good thing must come to an end” -lots of history at the Joe but
The Wings play on…..

Nice tributes.
Let’s Go Red Wings!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's Chair on 04/09/17 at 04:33 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Hi all.

Great tribute, Chief.

Nick still looks like he could lace them up and be effective.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/09/17 at 04:44 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I’m really torn regarding today’s game.  On one hand I haven’t ever cheered for the Wings to lose a game.  On the other hand the Wings get into the lottery pick if they lose today no matter what the Slugs do.  However if Detroit wins and the Slugs lose the Wings get the sixth pick in the draft.  What to do?  Maybe some of you pharmacists can enlighten me.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 04/09/17 at 04:46 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin’ on my manifesto on 04/09/17 at 04:46 PM ET

Winning this game won’t get them into the playoffs. Winning this game will not improve this team. Losing this game at least has the potential to improve this team. Go, cough, Devils, cough. I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/09/17 at 04:51 PM ET

calquake's avatar

My thoughts exactly but closing the Joe on a winning note has it’s allure as well.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 04/09/17 at 05:04 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

What is this, some kind of bust?

Posted by RWBill on 04/09/17 at 05:04 PM ET

I’ve been screaming SWM to Ken every game leading up to this one as he kept mentioning Z playing in game 1000 on the last day of the season, but Z kept the injury bug at bay none the less.  Grats to the captain.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/09/17 at 05:09 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

What is this, some kind of bust?

Posted by RWBill on 04/09/17 at 05:04 PM ET

That’s what Z is thinking. “Homer got a snowmobile. Where’s my snowmobile?”

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/09/17 at 05:09 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Thanks to all over the years at the Joe and other places, mostly here,  and those to come.

Posted by RWBill on 04/09/17 at 05:10 PM ET

calquake's avatar

What is this, some kind of bust?

“And they’re spectacular”.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 04/09/17 at 05:11 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Hola bitches. Congrats to Z. Rounds of golf for a gift from the players? Kind of a kick in the nads with no playoffs this year.
Yea Karen. LGRW

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 04/09/17 at 05:12 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Hejsan allesammans !!!

Nice tributes.

Let’s go Red Wings   clap clap clap     oh oh

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 04/09/17 at 05:17 PM ET

PP….make it happen

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/09/17 at 05:18 PM ET

Don’t turn back into the defenders, Tatar

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/09/17 at 05:19 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I’m worried about Kate. She would not miss this. ohh

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/09/17 at 05:24 PM ET

IT’S HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/09/17 at 05:24 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Good for Shea.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 04/09/17 at 05:24 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

This was just laid up against the wall in the hallway outside the locker rooms. I hope they find a place for it in the new arena, maybe even more conspicuous for the public.

Posted by RWBill on 04/09/17 at 05:24 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Riley pops his season cherry

cigar_nurse's avatar

Ho le fuk. He finally did it. Looked like he knew what he was doing.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 04/09/17 at 05:25 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

ROFL

Posted by RWBill on 04/09/17 at 05:25 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Yeahhh finally Shea… Good for you..

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 04/09/17 at 05:26 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

LOL, of course Sheahan scored

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 04/09/17 at 05:27 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Ho le fuk

Wasn’t he the cousin of Bang Ding Ow?

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 04/09/17 at 05:28 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

And Wi Too Low

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 04/09/17 at 05:28 PM ET

calquake's avatar

By the way, nice blog post Red Winger.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 04/09/17 at 05:30 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

His sister is blind and name is eye riss.

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 04/09/17 at 05:30 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Yihaaaa Tatar 2-0 Red Wings

LGRW

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 04/09/17 at 05:33 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Thanks, Cal

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 04/09/17 at 05:33 PM ET

2-0 cheese

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/09/17 at 05:34 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Sauce is the Man.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 04/09/17 at 05:34 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Good on sauce with a greasy one. LGRW

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 04/09/17 at 05:35 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Good news, the Slugs up 1-0 over Tampa.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 04/09/17 at 05:44 PM ET

kilt it

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/09/17 at 05:44 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Opening night 2014, 40 is signing an autograph at the left.

Posted by RWBill on 04/09/17 at 05:47 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Budd Lynch Minute

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/09/17 at 05:47 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Thanks. Gary. Ass.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/09/17 at 05:48 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

13 octopi thrown so far, impressive

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 04/09/17 at 05:51 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

13 octopi thrown so far, impressive

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 04/09/17 at 05:51 PM ET

Over/under 19.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/09/17 at 05:53 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar