Abel to Yzerman

Enjoy Your Stress-Free Sunday

Here. Start with this….

@TSNBobMcKenzie

NJD GM Lou Lamoriello was in TOR last night to meet with Zach Parise, who will decide within the hour if he is going to UFA at noon ET.

More in a minute, but nothing earth shattering.  So, don’t get all excited.

I’m only talking to people I trust today, people who won’t tell me bad things and lies just to watch me react in a way that makes them laugh, like I do at Blues fans when they’re sad.

So, I’ll be checking here and most likely dying slowly with 19 of you. And I’ll be doing that (checking in and also dying slowly because I suck so very bad) from the golf course.

Key phrase today: Signing bonus.  Unlimited, obscene, absolutely impossible to turn down signing bonuses. Two of them.  In the gazillions.  Do it Mike.

Key phrases that would me me frigging lose it, and I mean absolutely lose it today:

“We like our core and didn’t need to do as much as we first thought.”
—No you don’t and no you didn’t back in February, March, whenever, when you said you were going to be aggressive on 1 July.  Liar.

“Too rich. Too steep. Too much. Too high.”
—Too. Fuching. Bad.  If I hear those words, somebody needs to just go home.  Is Mike Ilitch going to say them?  No? Then spend, bitch. Spend it all.  Yeah, Kenny, that’s you and I’m sorry for calling you a bitch.

“Cory Emmerton”
—If Ken Holland uses those two words, like that, in that order, without the words “trade” or “traded” within four words of the “Cory Emmerton” combination, then I’m going to just vomit on the spot.  Don’t ever, and I mean EVER, try and convince me this kid is a reason we didn’t deal for Parise, Semin, Nash or Gerard Gallant.

“We’ll keep kicking tires”
—I hate that phrase anyway, “kicking tires.”  If we hear that today it means we’ve been shut out and bent over.  Don’t even talk to the media if you don’t come back with some real cheese Kenny. I don’t want the 30 slice packs. I want a block of really good cheddar. And if you can’t score it? Well, you just stay silent because I don’t want to hear the bullshit.

I want to hear two things today. One from Holland and one from Ilitch. Ready?

“This is the day we’ve been planning for since last July. For a year this is exactly how we envisioned it.  Zach and Ryan were the two guys we’ve been targeting, scouting, petting and giving secret money to via off shore accounts and go-betweens who may or may not be connected to Greek crime syndicates. We’re happy today.”

And…

“Cuppy. Cuppy. Cuppy.”

Oh, and anyone who doesn’t believe Brodeur’s in Chicago by 1700 raise your hand. No? Nobody? I didn’t think so.  He’s a Hawk already, I’m betting.

I’m off to the golf course. Please, baby Jesus. Please, please, please bring me what I want today.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 5 >       Next »

cementslinger's avatar

who wants to go in on a pair of stickybuddy’s?

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 07/01/12 at 02:18 PM ET

cementslinger's avatar

aw crap. Meech is locked up in Winnipeg. Scratch off plan C.

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 07/01/12 at 02:20 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

TSN, “Zach Parise came in about 10 a.m. and the Red Wings will be first up.”

ok,  sounds like this is going to be a good long while, if not days, to unfold.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/01/12 at 02:20 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Of those top 7, we better land one F and one D. Oh and Kenny? Make it the top two if you don’t mind.

No standing pat today Tick Tock. Make. Something. HAPPEN.

LGRW

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 07/01/12 at 02:21 PM ET

jennyquarx's avatar

Gabriel, I had a talk with your wife last night about how this is the most crucial day and that she needs to be extra nice to us today and all week even if she doesn’t understand this.

Posted by jennyquarx on 07/01/12 at 02:23 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

That’s not a bad salary for Meech, $700,000.  even after taxes that’s a good living.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/01/12 at 02:23 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Glad we’re first up but damn.. damn.. this is gonna take forever.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/01/12 at 02:25 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

$700,000.  even after taxes that’s a good living.

Posted by RWBill from hiding indoors from Virginia heat. on 07/01/12 at 12:23 PM ET

I mean, I’m guessing, I wouldn’t know.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/01/12 at 02:26 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

$700,000.  even after taxes that’s a good living.

700k will buy a lot of stickybuddies.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/01/12 at 02:29 PM ET

Glad we’re first up but damn.. damn.. this is gonna take forever.

Babcock to Parise: “You’re coming home with us. Get your fuching ass on the plane.”

Posted by godblender on 07/01/12 at 02:30 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

700k will buy a lot of stickybuddies.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/01/12 at 12:29 PM ET

I woke up with a couple of those once, but don’t actually remember what went on.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/01/12 at 02:31 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

Well, she brought me coffee but I think it was so she could say “So….did they win?”

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 07/01/12 at 02:32 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

Need news NOW. The woman is pressing me to head to Menards to grab cement board for the great and terrible kitchen project. Tensions are running high. Maybe I can feed her some early cabernet and/or a closed head injury.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 07/01/12 at 02:32 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Posted by RWBill from hiding indoors from Virginia heat. on 07/01/12 at 12:31 PM ET

Alcohol consumption and sticky buddies—a notoriously volatile combination.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/01/12 at 02:34 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Sticky Buddies, A night for experimenting.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/01/12 at 02:36 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

Gustavwhatever to Wings? Fine by me.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 07/01/12 at 02:36 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

which one of these fancy buttons puts pictures in here?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/01/12 at 02:37 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I think you folks with external pressure are best served to head out now, as it’s going to take a long ass time.  Don’t play you’re aces now, there’s little return.  Heck i may even go out and buy some bacon while we’re waiting around.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/01/12 at 02:38 PM ET

dougie's avatar

God, I feel like such a loser hanging on every word spoken on NHL Net.

At one time, I distinctly remember having a life.

Posted by dougie on 07/01/12 at 02:39 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Wings sign Gustavsson (sp) to a 2 year deal.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 07/01/12 at 02:39 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Red Wings sign Jonas “the Monster” Gustavsson

Phew, we can call it a day now!

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/01/12 at 02:39 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/01/12 at 02:40 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Gustavsson. The guy who was supposed to be in net for Toronto for a decade? Their goalie of the future, 2 short years ago?

Too soon for a goalie controversy?

Posted by dougie on 07/01/12 at 02:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

OK so down to about $16M available, if Abdelkader and Q are signed later.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/01/12 at 02:45 PM ET

cementslinger's avatar

Wings sign Gustavsson (sp) to a 2 year deal.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 07/01/12 at 12:39 PM ET

Wait. What? Are already on plan B, C or D?  What’d I miss?

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 07/01/12 at 02:46 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Too soon for a goalie controversy?

Isn’t signing this guy controversial?

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/01/12 at 02:50 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

No, great signing, Bedard is gonna work wonders with him I think, like Phoenix Goalie Coach did with Mike Smith. He requested smith cause he had a lot of the same Howie and Gustafsson have.

He’s raw, and was on a consistently defensively bad team and put up decent numbers.  With the Wings, I think he blossoms.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/01/12 at 02:54 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

great signing

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/01/12 at 12:54 PM E

Yes it is.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!! In ’13

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/01/12 at 03:02 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m OK with Gustavsson as a backup.  I like Joey Mac, but his back scares me…

Posted by Primis on 07/01/12 at 03:03 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Capgeek updated Red Wings with Gustavsson.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/01/12 at 03:06 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

Does anyone else see this, or is it just me?

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 07/01/12 at 03:09 PM ET

Carkner to Dives

Posted by LGRWeh on 07/01/12 at 03:10 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Still relatively early on this coast.  Ah the smell of bacon!  Bacon was number three on my wish list this morning.  A backup goalie was number four.  We’re gradually working our way up the chain.  I totally see a trend here.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/01/12 at 03:11 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Does anyone else see this, or is it just me?

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 07/01/12 at 01:09 PM ET

I bet the one on the left is way less creepy.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/01/12 at 03:15 PM ET

Primis's avatar

How is the Brunner singing not already announced?  Are we supposed to read something into that?

Posted by Primis on 07/01/12 at 03:18 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

“This smells just like my cousin’s vagina.”

2012-04-14_01-09-29_436-1.jpg

I don’t think Suter would have a hard time leaving Nashville.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/01/12 at 03:18 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Happy Canada Day bitches!

Parise?  Suter? Bah…..anybody wonder where Jordan Tootoo will end up?  Plan B baby….Plan B. wink

Let’s Go Red Wings!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, hanging with Dan Cleary.... on 07/01/12 at 03:20 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

No and no.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 07/01/12 at 03:22 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Gustavsson, “when Detroit called, there wasn’t too much to think about”

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/01/12 at 03:25 PM ET