Abel to Yzerman

Eddie Olczyk On How The Wings Can Beat The Bruins

from Brendan Savage of Mlive,

... when it comes to the Detroit Red Wings experiencing success in the opening round against the Boston Bruins, it might be more about offense, according to NBC Sports analyst Ed Olczyk....

"This is a much younger, quicker team," Olczyk said this week in a national conference call. "I think that's the way that they have to play. They're not going to be a physical team. They've got some guys who can bang around and I'm sure Niklas Kronwall is going to look for one of those big hits along the boards just inside the Bruins' offensive zone.

"But to me that will be a real big key, can the Red Wings manage the puck well enough and can they play a fast game and try to keep it a real quick game? There's no doubt that the Bruins are the team to beat for sure and rightfully so. The Bruins can come in four lines and the size and the depth and the leadership of Patrice Bergeron and Zdeno Chara, but to me is can the Red Wings be able to play that real fast game to maybe get the Bruins on the run a little bit?

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

More from Savage’s article:

“One of the things I like about the Wings is a lot of the young players ... won a championship last year ... and they were really important players,” McGuire said. “Tomas Tatar was the Most Valuable Player of the American Hockey League playoffs. Gustav Nyquist went down there and did some very good things. Riley Sheahan had a phenomenal playoff after having a tough start to the year.

“Joakim Andersson is another one that has had tremendous success at the American Hockey League level. Luke Glendening, who was never even drafted coming out of the University of Michigan, has become a huge energy player. I see Glendening and I think of Kris Draper and what he was able to do when he played for the Red Wings playing with (Kirk) Maltby and (Darren) McCarty.

“Tomas Jurco is another one.”

I think McGuire just crossed his legs and squelched.  Yeck.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 04/17/14 at 12:42 PM ET

Edzo and Douche Canoe make the game unwatchable.

Posted by George0211 on 04/17/14 at 12:56 PM ET

perfection's avatar

wait… isn’t the key to victory all about subtly interfering? subtle interference is all the Wings do well I thought? I assume that’s how the Griffs won the Calder Cup last year was by instilling a strategy of subtle interference. It’s why they’re still good this year, they interfere the subtlest of anyone. I mean, Datsyuk may be magic with the puck and he may be magic on defense, but come one, the way he interferes… and what’s more, how damn SUBTLE he is at it. One of the best in the world. And Jimmy will have to subtly interfere with the puck when the B’s shoot it at him and of course the Wings will need lots of subtle interference on the PP AND the PK. These are the keys to victory. When the Bruins hit you, you subtly interfere back. Right Edzo???

I’m so thankful I can watch Canadian broadcasts and basically avoid the NBC mockery of coverage for the whole playoffs. Ugh

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/17/14 at 01:17 PM ET

harken23's avatar

On the plus side, I don’t think the Emerick/Olczyk/Douche Canoe team is going to be covering the Wings/Bruins, bkz they will be following Crosby around asking if they can carry his jockstrap.

Posted by harken23 on 04/17/14 at 01:22 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Eddie also said the puck will have to hit a little patch of ice if the Wings are to score any goals.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/17/14 at 01:43 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Subtle inference will doubtlessly be key to the Wing’s game.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/17/14 at 01:45 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Edzo and Douche Canoe make the game unwatchable.

They are the audio equivalent of the glowing puck path.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/17/14 at 01:48 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Pappy always told me, “Two douches don’t make a right.”

Posted by SK77 on 04/17/14 at 02:21 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

More negativity for olcock.  Fact is he hasn’t broadcastedbarely a game and people already ragging him.  I’m going to stay optimistic olcock starts giving great commentary.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/17/14 at 02:27 PM ET

wolverine's avatar

“But to me that will be a real big key, can the Red Wings manage the puck well enough[/quote

but to me is can the Red Wings be able to play that real fast game

But enough about me…what do you think of me?

Posted by wolverine on 04/17/14 at 03:11 PM ET

I really enjoy your intelligent input .

Posted by guy on 04/17/14 at 04:12 PM ET

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/17/14 at 02:17 PM ET

I really enjoy your intelligent input. Thanks

Posted by guy on 04/17/14 at 04:16 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Third time’s a charm.

Please post more often, guy.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 04/17/14 at 05:43 PM ET

Jaromir Blogger's avatar

I’m not a huge Olczyk fan either, but I think he does have some good points here. The Bruins are very systematic in their approach, and if the Wings can throw them off their game and expose some of their lack of foot speed on the back end, they can take the Bruins out of their comfort zone and make them pay.

Posted by Jaromir Blogger on 04/17/14 at 05:51 PM ET

Norskirama's avatar

Tuesday evening, just tuning into the second period of the Flyers vs Rangers on CNBC and to my delight I hear a familiar voice—Ken Daniels is doing the play by play and Pierre McGuire is doing color (looks like he is between the benches).  So maybe Ken will be heading up to Boston for tomorrow, without Pierre!

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 04/17/14 at 07:18 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

ubtle inference will doubtlessly be key to the Wing’s game.

As far as Eddie O. is concerned it’s the only way the Red Wings can win, and the Red Wings are the only team that does it.

Posted by bigfrog on 04/17/14 at 08:30 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

some sport “experts” videos form CSNNE.com on ‘what to watch in the DET / BOS series’ including “Rank ‘Em: Most feared Red Wings” for your morning coffee hour ...

enjoy.

16 to 12

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/18/14 at 07:55 AM ET