Abel to Yzerman

Eastern Conference? Meet Ken Holland, The Real Ken Holland

Ottawa's a division rival.  Hi. Ken Holland stole your captain.

Florida's a division rival. Hello. Ken Holland stole your co-captain.

Boston's a divsion favorite. Greetings.  Ken Holland nabbed Daniel Alfredsson from under your noses.

And he might not be done yet.

I can't figure out the combinations yet but I do know the Wings have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Weiss, Alfredsson and Nyquist, plus third and fourth lines (no matter the combinations) that rival anyone's.

And rumblings of Brendan Morrow are out there too...accompanied by a lot of head shaking.  I wanted him at the deadline, or whenever it was that Pittsburgh got him last year, and I'd take him now.  Holland likes him. Uncle Mike likes him and, consequently, so do I.

It's been a huge day already. Huge. TSN "experts" are calling the Wings the Eastern Conference favorites. That's a bit much, but it does say this: "rebuilding" is not an option. Ever.  Retooling, on the fly and without a thought to taking a step back, is the only acceptable mode for this franchise.

Five years we've been waiting for this Kenny. Five frigging years.  Nice job so far.

Hello Eastern Conference. Meet the Wings.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Haha, not the moves I would’ve made, but I do give him credit for finally engaging.  Agreed on morrow as well.

Posted by bababooey on 07/05/13 at 02:10 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by bababooey on 07/05/13 at 03:10 PM ET

This ^^^^^

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/05/13 at 02:12 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Alfedsson is old and slow. Cleary with a better wrister, but without the ability to irritate the opposition and take the punishment like Cleary.

Weiss is a nice pickup. But letting your leading playoff goal scorer (damn good in the SO too) go was foolish and shortsighted. I will miss Brunner and I the Joakim and Nyquil will too. That was a damn good line during the playoffs.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/05/13 at 02:16 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Morrow is one of my favorite non-Wing players, but if they do get him, what does that mean for the kids?  And who ends up on the bus outta town to make room?

Posted by Hootinani on 07/05/13 at 02:18 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 07/05/13 at 03:16 PM ET

Andersson & Nyquist now get to play with Tatar. That was a damn great line during the playoffs.

Posted by SK77 on 07/05/13 at 02:18 PM ET

He’s unquestionably old, but slow? Hardly. And FYI, he was Ottawa’s best skater in the playoffs by a pretty wide margin.

Posted by Chris M on 07/05/13 at 02:18 PM ET

Everything I think, this man writes. Bravo damit.

Posted by Rsambo00 on 07/05/13 at 02:18 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I can’t figure out the combinations yet but I do know the Wings have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Weiss, Alfredsson and Nyquist, plus third and fourth lines…

Try this…

Pavel - Z - Abby
Alfie - Weiss - Floater
Nike - Helm - Tatar
Miller - Andersson - Eaves

Press box: Bert
Infirmary: Sammy
Gone: Emmerton & Tootoo

Penalty killers: Andersson, Helm, Miller, Eaves, Pavel, Z, Alfie & Abby (That’s potentially four fricking sets of quility PK guys. Outstanding.)

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/05/13 at 02:23 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by some kid on 07/05/13 at 03:18 PM ET

Sorry some kid, I don’t know who you were watching, but it was not Tatar.

Tatar did not appear in a playoff game for the Wings this season. I don’t think he has ever appeared in an NHL playoff game.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/05/13 at 02:23 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

If Brunner would have wanted to stay a Wing, he would have.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 07/05/13 at 02:23 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Sorry some kid, I don’t know who you were watching, but it was not Tatar.

They played on the Griffs after the Wings got bounced by the Cawks.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 07/05/13 at 02:25 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Sorry some kid, I don’t know who you were watching, but it was not Tatar.
Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 07/05/13 at 03:23 PM ET

They were terrific in their Calder Cup run.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/05/13 at 02:26 PM ET

RhymeTimeWingsDings's avatar

Alfie is the Swedish forward version of Nick the Great.  This may be his last run at a cup so he’s going to playing his guts out.  Hopefully like a skilled version of Dallas Drake.

Posted by RhymeTimeWingsDings on 07/05/13 at 02:27 PM ET

Remember, you wanted this guy fired if he didn’t get Dekeyser.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/05/13 at 02:30 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Oh oh, somebody got themselves one Bobby Ryan. I’m starting to get ornery again….

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/05/13 at 02:35 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

If Brunner would have wanted to stay a Wing, he would have.
Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 07/05/13 at 03:23 PM ET

I doubt it’s that simple. Negotiations were going on before the UFA deadline, so I think that lends some credence to his agent’s statement that he wanted to remain a Wing.

Bitches, please, Calder Cup? If Tot’s were all that, he would have stayed with the Big Club and played in the real playoffs like Joakim and Nyquil. So many regulars were injured and Babs was playing kids so much, he must of thought he was a pre-school teacher this season. Now with Weiss and Oldfredsson joining the team watch Tots spend another year as a Griff.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/05/13 at 02:38 PM ET

They had no call ups left, so they would’ve had to literally have fewer than 12 healthy forwards in order to call him up, so no.

Posted by Garth on 07/05/13 at 02:42 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

watch Tots spend another year as a Griff.

He can’t, he’s outta waiver exemptions, and I guarantee he wouldn’t make it through waivers.  Regardless of what you think of him, he’s the leading scorer in the AHL Playoffs, a Calder Cup Champ and MVP.  He has value.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/05/13 at 02:43 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

the Holland hater’s dreamboat signed Val Flippula to $25 for 5mln. Yikes, Stevie seemed to be a landing spot for wings castaways, brunner and Val on the same flight?

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 07/05/13 at 02:46 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/05/13 at 03:42 PM ET

Tots played 18 games with the Wings during the regular season; Joakim 38 games and Nyquil 22 games. If Tots outplayed Joakim or Nyquil during his time with the Wings, then Tots would have gotten one of their spots, so yes.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/05/13 at 02:46 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Tremendous pick ups by the Wings.

One thing concerns me a lot, the decision not to try to buy out Samuelsson because of his insistence that he was still injured and possible resulting legal / NHLPA mess.

The other thing that concerns me is that the Wings are still in the mix for Cleary, offering him THREE more years.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/05/13 at 02:51 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

I LIKE OUR TEAM!

That’s gonna be my slogan this year (and hopefully for many more)!

Posted by Zqto on 07/05/13 at 02:51 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/05/13 at 03:51 PM ET

Hoping that their interest in Morrow trumps this, but its been awhile since I’ve heard anything on that front.

And as far as Sammi is concerned, hopefully they all just nudge nudge wink winked and agreed he’d LTIR all season, and save them the 3 mil and the legal hastle.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/05/13 at 02:55 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/05/13 at 03:51 PM ET

I bet there is hefty penalty if a team comes out on the losing end of that type of dispute. Plus, I seem to remember they can use the compliance buy outs are good next year, too.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/05/13 at 02:57 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Yes they still have a compliance buyout they can use in the window next year, but Sammy’s contract will be up anyway.

I asked for several days on various blogs WHO or WHAT was the determining authority regarding the injury status for purposes of compliance buyout ineligibility, never got an answer.

Really do not see Samuelsson fitting in anywhere with the club.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/05/13 at 03:07 PM ET

Holland getting a mulligan from last summers acquisitions.

Posted by bababooey on 07/05/13 at 03:09 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Remember, you wanted this guy fired if he didn’t get Dekeyser.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/05/13 at 03:30 PM ET

Aww. Hey Richard.  Yep, I do remember.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/05/13 at 03:10 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 07/05/13 at 03:57 PM ET

Yeah…. he’s gone next yr anyway

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/05/13 at 03:10 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Already at 14 forwards under contract, WITHOUT Nyquist or Andersson yet.

If Wings were to resign either Brunner or Cleary that really gums up the works, although I’d like to see Brunner worked in somewhere.

Helm may not play, a real bummer.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/05/13 at 03:14 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Although the Cap payroll is at $65M, over the Cap of $64.3M,  capgeek shows the Wings with $2.3M of cap space, I guess once you subtract the deferred bonus.

Anything on Brunner signing anyhere?  He probably wants more than the Wings could afford.  I could see him being effective with Albertsson or Weiss too.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/05/13 at 03:22 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Summer of Ken, Part II.

As Rambo said when informed of the news, Niicee.

I agree.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 07/05/13 at 03:23 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Wings with $2.3M of cap space, I guess once you subtract the deferred bonus.
Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/05/13 at 04:22 PM ET

No Brunner signing yet, but it won’t be with the Wings. If your cap # is correct, then that $2.3mil does not even leave room for Joakim, Nyquil AND Smith who are all unsigned RFA’s. Something’s got to give.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/05/13 at 03:31 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Sorry some kid, I don’t know who you were watching, but it was not Tatar.

Was referencing the Griffins’ run, which was a nice thing to watch. Tatar & Co. should look great on the 3rd line.

I know you’ve got a thing for Brunner, but it’s just not adding up. It’ll be interesting to see what happened there once the dust settles.

Posted by SK77 on 07/05/13 at 03:35 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Trading tootoo for draft picks would make another $1.9mil a year available for two years.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/05/13 at 03:36 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by some kid on 07/05/13 at 04:35 PM ET

The brain trust went with Oldfredsson for one year rather than Brunner for a long term deal, that’s what happened. Would love to know what they offered Brunner.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/05/13 at 03:38 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Helene just tweeted:

Ken Holland: “Darren Helm feeling better, except him healthy at training camp.”

Freudian slip that everyone except Helm will be healthy at camp or typo?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/05/13 at 03:41 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 07/05/13 at 04:38 PM ET

Brunner wasn’t good enough to stick on the second line and only got his game back after being moved down to the third. With Tatar being a full-time Wing next year slotted for that line there really isn’t anywhere great to put Brunner, unless the team wanted to roll the dice on him being bonafide second line material.

Posted by SK77 on 07/05/13 at 03:42 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Ken Holland says he expects that Damien Brunner will move on to a new team. Still talking with Cleary.

They still have to make room for Smith, Nyquist, and Andersson RFA salaries don’t they?

Emmerton goes, that’s only 500K.  Could really use that $3M that is stashed in Samuelsson’s Peck, I mean pec.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/05/13 at 03:44 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Freudian slip that everyone except Helm will be healthy at camp or typo?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 07/05/13 at 04:41 PM ET

Believe he’s talking about the prospects camp next week that Helm will be attending to test out his back, not the September camp.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/05/13 at 03:46 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by some kid on 07/05/13 at 04:42 PM ET

With Z and Pavs playing on a reunited Flying Circus line, Brunner-Andersson-Nyquist was the second line. And Brunner lead the team in playoff goals with 9. Sure seemed like second line material to me at a time when it really counted, in the NHL playoffs.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/05/13 at 03:46 PM ET

1 2 >       Next »