Abel to Yzerman

Dylan Cozens Is An Option For The Wings With The #6 Pick

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Dylan Cozens

Position: Center/Right Wing

Height/Weight: 6-3/191

Shoots: Right

2018-19 team: Lethbridge (WHL)

2018-19 stats: 68 games, 34 goals, 50 assists, 84 points, 30 penalty minutes.

Why Red Wings would be interested: He would be the good-sized, right-shooting center they lack in their system. He skates well despite his size, competes hard and is said to be a good character player with leadership ability.

continued

Below, watch his highlight package.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

SauceBoss's avatar

If we miss out on Byram then picking Cozens makes the most sense. We need skilled righties in our top 6

Posted by SauceBoss on 06/12/19 at 07:32 AM ET

He may not be available at 6, but either way, Wings will get a really good player in that spot.
I have a feeling Wings end up with Turcotte or Podkolzin

Posted by George0211 on 06/12/19 at 07:45 AM ET

Posted by AdrenRush369 on 06/12/19 at 08:44 AM ET

I don’t think Turcotte will be available at pick #6. Chicago is expected to pick either Turcotte or Byram at pick #3. I like Detroit picking Cozens at #6 if he is available. I’m still hoping Bowen Byram drops to Detroit, I’m not expecting it though. I agree Detroit definitely needs more right-handed forwards in their organization.

Posted by AdrenRush369 on 06/12/19 at 08:46 AM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

I have a feeling Wings end up with Turcotte or Podkolzin

I will be ecstatic if the Wings somehow end up with either Turcotte or Byram…I’m a little scared of the whole Podkolzin/KHL thing, but you can’t deny his talent. Just have to trust the wings know what they’re doing.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 06/12/19 at 08:51 AM ET

SauceBoss's avatar

Colorado or LA may pick up Caufield, or Turcotte if he’s still there. They both desperately need secondary scoring

Posted by SauceBoss on 06/12/19 at 10:22 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Despite his small size, I kinda like the idea of picking up Cole Caufield.  We’ve picked up some sizable forwards the past few years in Mantha and Rasmussen with limited success so far.  Lack of size was a concern on the Wings for years, and still may be, but Cole is a unique finisher like the Wings have not had in a long time.

Whoever, there will be a good prospect at 6.

Posted by RWBill on 06/12/19 at 10:28 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

It is funny on blogs all year the main fan theme seemed to be “Size doesn’t matter, the NHL is all about speed.”  Then the playoffs came and it reverted back “St Louis is hammering these guys with their size and physicality.  Gotta have size.”

In as much as their aren’t many Brendan Shanahans around who are lethal scorers and don’t mind being physical as well, a team will need a balance of all those things and play a coordinated scheme.  Unsure if the current Wings’ staff can do that.

Posted by RWBill on 06/12/19 at 10:31 AM ET

I like Byram, Cozens and Turcotte. If neither is available at #6, I would trade down if a good deal comes along. Too risky to pick Caufield imo. If his scoring does not translate to NHL, there is nothing else there, he is one dimensional. Podkolzin is scary because for the next 2 years he will be developing outside of our influence.
Zegras is a passer and I just want more of a complete player at #6.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/12/19 at 11:45 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Not any guarantees with these young guys. I don’t see a player,except for #1 and #2, that I can say “This guy will be in the NHL for a long time” .  I do think Stevie and his guys have a plan.

After that it is pure patience.  I do think it takes longer for bigger players to develop. Ras was in an odd situation last year, was Mantha’s showing at the Worlds an indicator of his improvement?

Just a guess but I think the Wings need more skill in the Top 6 (to keep Helm and Aby farther down the lineup).

Really today’s 3rd lines and even some 4th lines have become more noticeable on the score sheet as well as PK,Momentum guys.

Some days Pod scares me and some days he is a future star.  Just glad Stevie will make most of the final decisions. Rebuild at least is a bit clearer, once the duds taking up cap space go away.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/12/19 at 01:56 PM ET