Abel to Yzerman

Driven By A Mule

Paul here subbing for IwoCPO who emailed me earlier today, asking if I could post the live blog since he was about to lose web access.

So here I am, not dazzling you with my vanilla vocabulary but rather stating it is time to ride “The Mule”.

The Wings need a strong game from Franzen tonight and if so, everything else falls into place.

If not, someone unexpected will need to step up.

So enjoy this ‘late-nighter’ and you have my permission to take Friday off.

It’s a Live Blog bit****!

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 9 10 11

Rumbear's avatar

Night all…hey, it’s late out here….....

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the pre-season shuffle.... on 02/03/12 at 03:45 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Nighty, night. Bitches.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/03/12 at 03:45 AM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

SO GOALS

Pavel Datsyuk   DET   Goal

Jiri Hudler   DET   Goal

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 02/03/12 at 03:46 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Night all…hey, it’s late out here….....

Posted by Rumbear from Top O da Hasek, enjoying the fight on 02/03/12 at 12:45 AM ET

That is not fair, Rummy.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/03/12 at 03:46 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

The wife is already snoring.  smile

Guess that means me and the bottle of Jergens.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 02/03/12 at 03:48 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

HeY-YoHHHHHHHHHHHH, What’s Up, Bitches ?!

Datsyukian!  What a fantastic road game, yet almost blew it.  Vancouver will rarely be so dominated at home.

2 more points with zero from rednecks and junior hawks.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/03/12 at 03:58 AM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Posted by calquake on 02/03/12 at 12:35 AM ET

Oh and by the way, finally saw the commercial of the Spartan Foods store with the broad in grey and I, I uhhh….well, she’s got gigantic sweater puppets. And my TV doesn’t work anymore, so you do the math.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 02/03/12 at 04:08 AM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Babblecock just called the shootout the “Skills Competition” !!!!

So did Howard a while back. I love this team.

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 02/03/12 at 04:09 AM ET

Right after watching the Wranglers lose 4-2, I headed out to the casino as quick as I can to catch the OT.  And, uh, pardon me for a second here:

[rage]FUCHING MULE.[/rage]

Cannot believe I’m seeing such uninspired $5 million skates on a guy with a great potential to destroy the psyches of goalies around the league.

Dangles had drawn three ‘Nucks with him on an innocuous skate towards the net at one point and Mule sees it and refuses to take the lane to the net instead decides to throw the puck back around Luongo.

Anyway, Dangles’ gorgeous deke and Happy’s stick-side sniper shot were so much fun to watch.  Last shootout v. VAN, Happy went stick-side high on Luongo and this time, he went just over the right pad stick-side.  Snipey Happy makes me happy.

Good win and judging from LB, it seemed like a frustrating game.  Kesler being a brat again is now becoming ludicrous.  Two points is two points.  And seeing the final score between EDM and the Cawks made me feel a little better now.

Oh, and Primis?  Congrats on being a father for the second time.  Wishing you and the family all the best.

EDM.  Saturday night.  Those kids will be high after that shellacking over the Cawks.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/03/12 at 04:45 AM ET

Youtube user, paustn31634, uploaded the skills competition for viewing.

Also, weallbleedredd, posted the Bertuzzi/Ballard wrestling match as well as the Abber/Lapierre fight.  Good showings by Bert and Abber.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/03/12 at 05:23 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

Its up to WestWing now.

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/03/12 at 12:40 AM ET

Did I mention that the Wings are 10-0-2 in road games I’ve attended over the past three years?  Meet the anti-game-wrecker, bitches!

I thought for the most part they were pretty solid, even dominant at times and on most nights an effort like this would be good enough to get you two points in regulation.  They were way more solid defensively than three goals against would indicate.  But there were hiccups.  Pavel (of all people) completely out-worked and out-hustled on the Canucks’ first goal, Miller coughing up the puck after an inexplicable move to the middle of the ice in his own zone on the second, and then a totally unlucky third goal off of Stuart’s stick.  Throw in a few crazy big saves by Luongo and damn if the game doesn’t end up in OT and eventually a shootout.

I would have much preferred a clean two regulation points, but I’ll take the SO win and be satisfied because from where I was sitting i thought they played a really good, at times dominant, road game against a quality opponent in a playoff-like atmosphere.  Seeing the losses by Nashville and Chicago tonight make it that much sweeter.  Onward

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 02/03/12 at 07:23 AM ET

dougie's avatar

I fought off Mr. Ambien long enough to witness the early Buckets goal, then I woke up early and watched the parts that mattered on Tivo.

Maybe these guys should adopt “Train Kept A’Rolling” by Aerosmith for their theme song.
Yeah, Aerosmith, bitches. Back when they didn’t suck, and weren’t corporate sellouts. But I digress.

I’m well rested for my weekend Appalalachian road trip to sip the exalted elixir that fills the Hillbilly Holy Grail, (that would be a Mason Jar)......Popcorn Sutton’s Last Batch.

I am fortunate to have friends that share, even if it’s just once a year.

Have a great weekend folks.

Posted by dougie on 02/03/12 at 10:20 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 02/03/12 at 04:23 AM ET

From where I was sitting (in front of the computer screen this morning), I agree.

Posted by dougie on 02/03/12 at 07:20 AM ET

The Yardbirds had an earlier version that is great.

Wonderful to see our Wings still leading the NHL this morning!

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/03/12 at 11:19 AM ET

calquake's avatar

The Yardbirds had an earlier version that is great.

I do believe that may have been when Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page were part of the band.  Good times.

Posted by calquake on 02/03/12 at 02:12 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by calquake on 02/03/12 at 11:12 AM ET

You are correct, sir.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/03/12 at 03:20 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard suffers broken finger

That’s what he gets for flipping off Kesler.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/03/12 at 04:39 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard suffers broken finger

WTH??? When did this happen?

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the pre-season shuffle.... on 02/03/12 at 04:52 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Possibly when Kesler took a swipe at him with his stick.  That is pure emotional 19 speculation.

Estimated minimum 2 game absence.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/03/12 at 04:57 PM ET

Bent's avatar

From onthewingsblog.com:

And now we have the source of the injury. Lapierre’s one credited shot of the night appears in the play-by-play at 1:39 of the third period.

Hope he heals fast.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 02/03/12 at 05:08 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Hope he heals fast.
Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 02/03/12 at 02:08 PM ET

Did anybody challenge him to a fight for that uncalled for thuggery?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/03/12 at 07:17 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Does he know that’s when it happened?  I need to go read.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/03/12 at 07:44 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

The injury happened in the third period of Thursday’s 4-3 shootout victory in Vancouver, when Howard was hit by a shot from Max Lapierre. Howard skated over to the bench to see trainer Piet Van Zant but stayed in the game.

I do remember Ken making a verbal note of him seeing Piet at the bench.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/03/12 at 07:47 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

When he’s got it on the wing I ‘d like to see him go AT the net and create havoc and loose pucks rather than just circle behind the net.  Defense hates chaos in front of their net, watching a guy skate around behind it, not so bad.

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 02/02/12 at 12:12 PM ET

No shizzle, when I wrote this about Z before the game yesterday I was going to write “..go AT the net like Cleary ...”  but I chickened out as Cleary hadn’t scored a goal since 2007.

So what happened?  Cleary had the puck along the half boards, went right AT the net with total disregard for getting an ass whooping instead of circling behind a la Z, fired the puck and it went in.

I’m still not down on Z, I’m still down with Z.  There’s a reason at ice level and behind the bench that Babcock has Zetterberg out there more than any other forward on most nights, including team leading Forward TOI last night.

Who wouldn’t like to look at the stat sheet and see Z with 1G 2A?  I would.  It’s a team game, lots of stuff goes on out there.

I’ll repeat myself from last week, on the road to 12 in 12, Z will be pulling a monster workload.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/03/12 at 10:30 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Hey thanks for all the wishes, 19.

My new little one came around 1:45pm yesterday and Mommy & baby are both doing great.  What awesomeness…

Was glad to see the Wings came out of the gate hard, it looks like.  Maybe they’ve finally figured out how to start games again.  I hate giving the Canucks 1 point, but we’ll take the 2.

Now to just finish the Western Canada swing with a final 2.  They owe Conklin a win at some point here (though someone please remind him he does need to stop shots to make that happen?).

By the way, am I a prophet or what?  Hudler again?  Man… can you imagine where we’d be without him?

Posted by Primis on 02/04/12 at 11:19 AM ET