Abel to Yzerman

Do You Agree?

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Hippy Dave's avatar

After watching Quinn Hughes do his thing all season, I kind of agree with Helene on this one.

Dobber Hockey has a good deep dive on him here.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 09/12/20 at 02:41 PM ET

calquake's avatar

IF he’s still available at #4. Otherwise go bold, go Askarov.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 09/12/20 at 03:06 PM ET

Thanks for the link!

I’d personally project with more caution than HSJ is here.
And that’s not because I am better informed. It’s just a bold statement that those
three guys would accomplish what she says.

But agreed re: the sentiment of building from the back.
I’d be beyond thrilled if we got Drysdale and he ended up even comparable to Hughes. But I like what I’ve read about his skating, sense, puck moving, and defense via positioning and stick.

Raymond comes up as a forward probably available with higher end upside.
But agree it doesn’t seem there is a home run potential forward very likely to get there, where we’ll pick. So all else being equal pick the D.

I’m fascinated to see if we can get a later first for taking a bloated cap hit, and perhaps packaging it for a chance at Askarov. Maybe what Carolina was able to do for Marleau’s contract has me a little overly optimistic. The trading team also has to overestimate their chances in a coming draft year to really hit it big.

Posted by lefty.30 on 09/12/20 at 05:34 PM ET

Why the love for Askarov?  He was pretty pedestrian in the U20s and defensemen and forwards are more valuable than goalies.

Posted by bababooey on 09/12/20 at 06:13 PM ET

It depends on who is available at four.

If by some miracle Stutzle falls to four, I think they need to take him.

If Lefreniere, Byfield and Stutzle go 1-2-3 like most people are predicting, then I think that Drysdale is the safe pick.  Consensus top D in the draft, compared to Hughes by some scouts and to Bowen Byram by others.  If the Wings agree with that assessment, and don’t have a raging hard on for any of the forwards still on the board, then they should draft Drysdale and sleep well that night.

If they think Cole Perfetti (or someone else) is going to be an elite top line center, they need to pull the trigger on that guy and look to go D next year.  If you google “2021 NHL Draft Prospects”, there are a bunch of different sites that offer rankings of the top 10, top 15 or top 20.  They all have between 4 and 6 Defensemen going in the top ten picks, so if Detroit has a forward fall to them at four this year that they are in love with, I say draft him and get one of those stud D’s with our first round pick next year.

Hopefully they use either draft capital, or taking on a bad contract to get a second pick in the first round, with the idea of drafting Askarov. They need a “goalie of the future”, because I don’t think Larson or Petruzelli are going to be NHL starters.

Posted by MikeO on 09/12/20 at 06:15 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Hoping Yzerman picks Drysdale. grin

Posted by bigfrog on 09/12/20 at 06:37 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

IF he’s still available at #4. Otherwise go bold, go Askarov.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake

I agree completely. The Wings have no one in the pipeline with the potential at goalie that Askarov has. But the operative word is “potential.” It would be a gamble – one that Holland never would have taken.

But we’ll see if Stevie Y is willing to take another chance (like he did with Seider) or if he can pull off a trade for a pick in the #10-#15 range which is where most of the mock drafts seem to place Askarov (although Craig Button has him at #7). At least it gives us all something to look forward to.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/12/20 at 06:45 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

The NHL is awash in good goalies right now, some of which are not that old - I think free agency is the way to go there.  Too much of a roll of the dice with goalie prospects to burn a first rounder on one, in my opinion…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 09/13/20 at 01:19 AM ET

d ca's avatar

IF he’s still available at #4. Otherwise go bold, go Askarov.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin’ on my manifesto on 09/12/20 at 03:06 PM ET

If he’s not available you jump for joy and take one second to announce the pick of the leftover of Alexis Lafreniere, Quinton Byfield, and Tim Stutzle.

Seider-Drysdale-Hronek-McIsaac-Lindstrom-Cholowski-Antti Tuomisto/Albert Johansson

I can’t believe I agree with HSJ (makes me even question my thought)...I simply think you draft the best player available at 4. Unless Raymond somehow shows another level from 9/20-draft night in the Elite League.

Only issue is if there is a strong indication that Krug wants to sign in Detroit and even then you should still draft Drysdale and simply package players like Cholowski & Rasmussen & a high draft pick for a talented forward.

Agreed 4 is way too high for a goalie (goalies are notorious as first round gambles even great prospects like Jack Campbell, Malcolm Subban, Chet Pickard, Tom McCollum, Riku Helenius, Leland Irving, Marek Schwarz, or best example Rick DiPietro.

UFA is certainly one way of obtaining a goalie for little capital….but there are plenty of young goaltenders on the trading block as well…

and please let us weaponize our cap space…bad contract for a 1st. Target a RFA another team like Tampa/Blues can’t practically match.

...because this off-season is going to be a lot more interesting than the Wings regular season.

Posted by d ca on 09/15/20 at 01:58 AM ET

Target a RFA another team like Tampa/Blues can’t practically match.

Don’t forget the picks you’d have to give up to sign one of those RFAs. I seriously doubt Detroit would be willing to give up potential lottery picks for any of them.

Posted by evileye on 09/23/20 at 09:30 AM ET