Abel to Yzerman

Come To Poppa

The Detroit Red Wings have been in the Western Conference for like, I don't know, 30 years. Something like that.  The specifics escape me and most of you know the weight I give facts, anyway.

Well, there are a few--facts, that is--that I like to fall back on. They help me sleep.  They make me feel warm, almost like the Speed Racer footy pajamas I wore my freshman (and only) year at Northern Michigan.

One of those facts is this: the West has belonged to the Wings.  It is ours.  We own it.  I can say "we" because "we" have filled the western arenas. Every game. Every time Detroit's in town.  You've raised prices.  You've whined. You've written letters. And we still...kept...coming.

And the Wings, themselves, have dominated this conference.  Ruled it.  We are, literally, the "arch rival" of every team in the conference. They despise you, the 19.  And they fear them, the Wings.

The Western Conference has been Detroit's bitch from the jump.

And, if it's all the same to you, I'd be pleased as piss-laced punch if we leave on the same arrogant note.

Oh, it's going to be hard.  The Detroit Red Wings have not faced a playoff opponent so heavily favored since the Oilers in the 80's and Philly in '97.

And that will make it so much sweeter.  The Western Conference has belonged to the Detroit Red Wings because Baby Jesus decreed it.  He's not changing his stance now.

Bet against us.  Do it.  I like this team.  I like our chances.  And I like watching Joel Quenneville defecate himself.  I intend to see that 4 times in the next two weeks.

This is a Live Blog, bitches.

LGRW.  You just got in.  You just beat Anaheim.  Now take what's yours.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 17 18 19

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

losing sucks, it was definitely a game Jimmy left the door open for the Wings to steal…but they didn’t.  so it’s on to the next one.  it’s far from over.

the Wings showed they can skate with the Blackhawks…on a level I don’t think anyone expected.

Crawford is nothing special.  the first round against Minnesota was a sham.  the Wings are far better than Minny.

there are certain players who seem to thrive in the playoffs.  I think we learned in the first round that Babbles is a COACH who thrives in the playoffs.  so let’s see what he can pull out of his arse for game 2.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/16/13 at 10:26 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Game 1 against the ducks felt like a list opportunity, too.

The Wings made Crawford look like ken Dryden last night because they put so little rubber on him. More shotts on net = puck luck. You can’t get any good bounces if you do nothing to get the puck moving in the right direction first.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/16/13 at 11:03 AM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Yes it does. And don’t think I’m not disappointed by the loss. I am. It’s just not that big of a deal. I remember the first game against the Ducks, and, we pretty much played the same way.
Adjustments WILL be made, and, this WILL become a series that no one counted on.

Except for 19 Wingaholics.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

+19 I BELIEVE!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/16/13 at 11:42 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Was it my imagination or didn’t E52 just sorta softly mis hit the puck along the boards right to Chicago that set up their second goal???  Every one of the many many times they replayed the goal they started with the pass coming from the player on the wall.  I think the play was set up by Ericsson several seconds before that but they never bscked up that far.

I think we gave them easy set ups on at least two of the goals, not counting the en.

Jesus Smith joins Jesus Lashoff as part of the Born Again brothers, that is their careers need to be born again next season because they are killing them in this post season.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/16/13 at 12:51 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Lot’s of hockey left. Babs better take a close look at his assets over the next few days.
LGRW!
Posted by TKShreve on 05/15/13 at 11:14 PM ET

He will, and what he sees will send him down to CVS for a roll of Tums.  We have a largely ineffective fourth line, 2 Scandanavians with all kinds of offensive skills who play, on their good days, with just half the guts and effort of Abdelkader, and a defensive group that functions as a gas can.

Yet somehow if they can just pass the puck out of our own zone better we have a decent shot to win some games.  When Babcock looks over his roster he will have a hard time finding enough guys that can do that.  If the ice remains tilted as it was much of the last 40 minutes last night it will be inevitable that Howard will be reaching back to clean out the coal bin too often.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/16/13 at 01:04 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/16/13 at 10:26 AM ET

Color me pessimistic, but after the 1st period, I kinda thought DET got taken to the woodshed.  But for Jimmy, it’d been a whole lot worse.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 05/16/13 at 04:46 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 22 on 05/16/13 at 04:46 PM ET

That’s pretty accurate IMO.  Remarkably, shooting a bit more aggressive in the first period plus a bounce off the bar again in the third and they could have been tied in regulation.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/16/13 at 04:58 PM ET

Anyone want Air Force One for $50,000?  Not a typo - $50,000 minimum bid.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/17/13 at 04:19 PM ET

2-1 Pens at the first intermission.

Anderson has a malfunction every time Rosby takes a shot at him.  Dude’s petrified of Rosby.  The two goals scored by Rosby are stoppable shots.  Holy fuching hell, Anderson’s way too aggressive and he cheats off the posts too much.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/17/13 at 08:17 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Anyone want Air Force One for $50,000?  Not a typo - $50,000 minimum bid.

Posted by SYF from the Flood on 05/17/13 at 04:19 PM ET