Abel to Yzerman
by VooX on 08/18/10 at 03:38 PM ET
Checking in on the iPhone with a few early notes:
- it’s damn good to be at a hockey game again, the sights, sounds, and even smells are second to none
- first session’s rule changes in brief:
1) hybrid icing: regular icing rules if race for puck; if not, linesman calls icing immediately. tie goes to icing
this does work well. not perfect, but this rule has the interest of Jim Nill and the NCAA will be adopting it.
2) no change after off-side: came up a couple of times. not noticeable today.
3) crease reset rule: play called dead if attacking forward causing crease troubles. face-off at offensive blue line.
came up once, but you know if Homer would be here it would be a lot more.
4) face-off variation: puck on dot, ref blows whistle to start play.
this is horrible. no battling for puck on draw and we’ve already seen a penalty call for delay of game for getting kicked out twice.
5) overtime variation: 3 mins x 3 = 4-on-4, 3-on-3, 2-on-2.
3-on-3 works, 2-on-2 doesn’t. too much a porno sideshow with lots of scoring and awkward roster changes.
Jimmy D wants 5 mins of 4-on-4 and 5 mins of 3-on-3. He’s not a fan of shoot-outs. I commented most real hockey fans aren’t either.
6) Shoot-out variation: Who cares? Fuch the shootout. As a fan, not a journalist, I walked out. So did most NHL clubs’ reps.
7) shallow nets: net loses 4” of depth. same dimensions for scoring area.
this works, early in the game a crushing check by a D-man took out a forward just behind the net.
fashion updates - most of the media, predictably, are dressed horribly. dress shirts and shorts as outfits. more tropical shirts and bad haircuts than a Jimmy Buffet concert.
- Bettman: Li’l Gary walked by me on the way in. he was even more fashionably late than I. I followed him in to see his reception.
You can tell he is both shrewd and powerful. His gaze is seldom still and people notice him, despite his stature. I also notice he is not that comfortable around people.
Li’l Gary spent a lot of time around the Wings braintrust, but Nill mostly ignored him except for brief comments. I noticed Li’l Gary has two cell phones: a blackberry and a flip phone.
on the blackberry most of his recent calls were to Bill Daly, I didn’t see Sidney on his recent calls list, surprisingly. his wallpaper is with him and his family, like a normal guy. I couldn’t tell if Satan was in the shot, however.
- I was watching the game beside Bryan Murray. I was admittedly a bit nervous, as I was in between him and the Leafs’ management bunker at the end of the rink. what if the sniper Burke hired was not a crack shot? dangerous place to stand.
- speaking of Burke, dressed in a gray hoodie he prefers to sit with the media rather than the other clubs. he likes to surround himself with people ready to quote him at all times
- Burke came over to the club area briefly, ignoring Bryan Murray. he spent a long time talking with Bettman. for a while Li’l Gary was browsing on his blackberry. Burke was showing him Facebook photos of taking Schenn and Kessel on a fishing trip to “man them up”. Gary LOL’d.
- there was a buzz among Toronto’s media. we haven’t had hockey played in warm months for a long time around here.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About Abel to Yzerman
Welcome to Abel to Yzerman, a Red Wing blog since 1977. No other site on the internet has better-researched, fact-laden and better prepared discussions than A2Y. Re-phrase: we do little research, find facts and stats highly overrated and claim little to no preparation. There are 19 readers of A2Y. No more, no less. All of them, except maybe one, are juvenile in nature. Reminding them of that in the comment section will only encourage them to prove that. Your suggestions and critiques are welcome: email@example.com