Abel to Yzerman

Blackhawks Down

Updated at 2057 PST because I forgot something really important at the end of this post.

No...not down.

Hammered.

May 16, 2013|Dan McNeil

Right now the Blackhawks are the hammer and the Red Wings are the nail. That will not change during the duration of these Western Conference semifinals.

The Blackhawks are too fast for Detroit. They're too deep. The Hawks are much more experienced, especially at the blue line. They're too well conditioned.

Chicago is too everything for a Wings team that appeared out of gas after going a full seven games against Anaheim in the first round.

'97 was amazing. Nothing can compare to that, to what it meant.

But this?  Welcome to the postseason of your adult lives.

Only 6 wins in, and this is remarkable.  What this team has done, what it continues to do...it's stunning.  Where did this come from?

The minds of Kenny Holland, Jim Nill, Mike Babcock.  They saw this when none of us could.

Discuss as you see fit.  You've got two days to revel in this team before Game 4.  But, I'll tell you this: you have every reason to be optimistic.  Detroit, and who the hell would have been drunk enough to say this two days, two weeks, two months, two years ago...Detroit is the better team.

If they can keep this up?

You might want to start counting Tuesdays. I'm just saying.

Oh, and meanwhile...

...in Walnut Grove? They're grading their Left Defensmen.  Suck it. I'd comment but they, you know, banned me.

And in St. Louis

I've been batting this article around in my head since literally the night playoffs ended for the Blues. Do I write it here, do I write it at my site? Do I write it at all? Am I the only one who has noticed a huge cultural difference between the Blues and Cardinals and how they handle disappointment?

Riveting.  You can suck it, too.  As per usual.

10 to frigging 12, baby.  10 to 12.  Burn. This. Conference. Down.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

Tony Perkis's avatar

Forgot Stevie Y was also young when he first wore the C, sorry, that was dumb of me. I just mean some of these captains are just so young and haven’t been in the NHL long. Some are my age and/or younger. It’s gotta be tough. I give them serious credit. I wouldn’t be confident leading a team if I had some of the least experience on the team.

Also, 87 and 19 have won and lost serious games/series in the NHL by now even though they’re young. I don’t know what I’m talking about…I’ll just shut it.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 05/21/13 at 08:50 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Burn. This. Conference. Down.

This really needs to be the slogan for these playoffs.

It almost seemed obscene to celebrate too much last night with what’s going on in Oklahoma, so I just smiled and turned off the TV and went to bed.  But wow - just wow.

If the only way that little gnat Kane can score is if one of our guys is down on the ice after an uncalled boarding, the Squawks are indeed in trouble.

I have finally discovered a way to watch the games on the NBC network channels without losing my mind.  MUTE.  (I think SYF is doing this too.)  The only time I unmuted was when the Wings scored, just to hear the crowd.  It’s kind of zen-like watching hockey with no sound.  That’s what Babs and Smith did together after Game 1 - watched the game “without the opinions,” as Babcock described it.

I am just so proud of this team.  Just think about all the different goal scorers we’ve had.

Thursday evening is huge.  I really believe they will do it.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/21/13 at 09:04 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Mike Babcock has this team playing out of their mind.  I always though he was underrated, but this year proves he s the NHLs most underrated cach.  What he did with this roster and how he mixed in the kids is nothing short of amazing.

he already knocked one Jack Adams nominee out of the playoffs, and he just might knock another one out.  can they go back and amend the nominees after the playoffs?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/21/13 at 09:30 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

There’s one “award” that matters and it is not voted on.
I’ll give the ‘Stache the Adams and we can keep our eyes on the real prize.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/21/13 at 09:34 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Chicago still leads the series 2-1…

What is going on with the coverage of this series… from commentators to analysts to broadcasts to production to referees…

and they repeat it at the end of their article…

Chicago kept pressing but couldn’t even the score again. The Wings won 3-1 and trail the Blackhawks 2-1 in the series. You know what that means.

Bring out the squids!

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/21/13 at 09:38 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

the Shaw no-goal? That was a goal. Clear as day.

no, it wasn’t.  you don’t have to make contact with the goalie.  they actually applied the rule correctly.

Rule 69.1: “Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal”

note: either by his positioning…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/21/13 at 09:50 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

a GIF for everyone to share all over the Goretubes…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/21/13 at 09:50 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Paul there was somebody blabbing while I was on the computer and not watching, saying Franzen saw the guy coming all the way.  what the Hell?  Hjalmarsson was completely on his blind side, he was preoccupied with the guy immediately on his right.

From Table 18, NHL Rules, Interference on the Goalkeeper Situations

D. An attacking player plants himself within the goal crease, as to obstruct the goalkeeper’s vision and impair his ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored.

Goal is disallowed. The announcement should be, “No goal due to interference with the goalkeeper.”

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/21/13 at 10:13 AM ET

Stevis's avatar

Feel compelled to post that I am flying through O’Hare today, trolling masterfully in my Datsyuk sweater.  So far the appreciative comments and no whiny snarking.  Guess folks are as little subdued this morning for some reason.

There’s a banner of Twenty Cent with his mouth guard hanging out.  Needs a Franzen banner next to it.

Posted by Stevis on 05/21/13 at 10:26 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

A tactic I discovered during the many NBC Sunday afternoon games we’ve had to endure.  Not only does it protect my brain cells from Douche Canoe and Olsuck, but it helps to keep me from having a stroke during the pucker moments for some reason.

Posted by Hootinani on 05/21/13 at 10:30 AM ET

RHammer's avatar

“Burn. This. Conference. Down.”

This really needs to be the slogan for these playoffs.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/21/13 at 09:04 AM ET

Seconded.

Posted by RHammer from Traverse City, MI on 05/21/13 at 10:39 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

other topic, self indulgent,
congratulations to son in law Ryan upon graduation from Wake Forest Law School yesterday (the one on the left) , and my daughter for hard work as a teacher and then insurance case handler and adjuster to keep them afloat and buying a house.  Don’t think he’s slept more than 3 hours straight in the last 3 years.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/21/13 at 10:45 AM ET

Primis's avatar

“We probably had one of our better games of the playoffs tonight, even though we lost,” Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith said.

To anyone who still thinks the Wings aren’t in the Hawks’ heads.  Now the Hawks think they really played a good game, and still lost…

BTW, re: the hammer/nail thing, you can all have fun tweeting the author of that joke of journalism at:

@DanMcNeil670

It’s not going to be a good day for him to check Twitter (I hope).  I recommend every possible reference to nails you can possibly come up with if you do…

Posted by Primis on 05/21/13 at 10:49 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Stevis on 05/21/13 at 10:26 AM ET

Great morning to be a Wings fan passing through Chicago…. or to be anywhere.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/21/13 at 10:49 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

“We occupy these bodies for 70, 80, 90 years, and it’s so much fun being alive on planet Earth that you want to keep this thing as fresh as you possibly can,” he said.

“The spirit, the mind, the soul, what’s inside of you just gets hipper and hipper as you get older. ... You get a whole broadened outlook on things,” he added. “That just naturally keeps going, but the damn body slows down.”

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/21/13 at 10:51 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

BWAHAHAHAHA

Glen Healy called Pavel “undertalented”

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/21/13 at 11:35 AM ET

Primis's avatar

BWAHAHAHAHA

Glen Healy called Pavel “undertalented”

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/21/13 at 11:35 AM ET

You know it’s bad when Bourne is calling someone out.

Posted by Primis on 05/21/13 at 12:09 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Doesn’t this team remind you of Major League? At the beginning of the season, it was like Who are these effing guys? The team struggled at times. As the playoffs approached, it seemed that these guys ain’t so effin bad. And now the Wings are saying, Eff you Jobu. That leaves only one thing left to do.

Did y’all catch Quenneville’s press conference this morning?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/21/13 at 12:21 PM ET

Glen Healy called Pavel “undertalented”

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/21/13 at 11:35 AM ET

“Under-talented?”  Is he fuching serious?  Insulting.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/21/13 at 01:27 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Well I will never complain about the weather again after what happened in the great plains… and I will never complain about Babcock’s coaching strategies…

Posted by pgoody on 05/21/13 at 03:33 PM ET

Posted by Tony Perkis from Out in the West Texas town of El Paso on 05/21/13 at 08:50 AM ET

There is another little known story about the ascension of Yzerman as the team’s Captain.  He knew it was going to ruffle the feathers of some of the more established veterans on the team…particularly his defensemen, Reed Larson and Harold Snepsts.  To ease their displeasure with Demers naming him their Captain, Yzerman went and talked with Larson and Snepsts and asked for their support…on the very first day of his Captaincy.

The rest is history.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/21/13 at 04:12 PM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

Reposted from the previous thread, but I finally caught up too late. Some thoughts on last night’s glory:

- My good friend from Buffalo who is unbiased in this series, a diehard Sabres fan, originally predicted Chicago to take this and come out of the west, and who refs at the local, minor league, and college levels, said “the hit on Franzen is suspendable yet it was not called by two refs, unbelievable.” He also said “the crease call was a good and immediately called decision.”

- Regarding when Abby had the breakaway with no stick, I was thinking about ways to score in that situation, others mentioned it in here as well. Obviously the rule is you can’t distinctly kick the puck in the net, but a puck IS allowed to ricochet off of a skate as long as there is no distinct kicking motion. What if he kicked the puck with his right skate directly to and off of his left skate and in? As long as his left skate had no kicking motion and was already angled in the proper way before he kicked it with his right food, shouldn’t that theoretically be legal? Just a thought.

- Nyquist better never see the Griffins lineup again.

- Zetterberg has been on fire and carrying this team, starting since the push at the end of the season just to make the playoffs, and he didn’t record a point tonight. That is a great sign.

- We’ve won nothing yet, but given that my expectations were absolutely zero at the beginning of the playoffs, I can not believe we are still getting to sit here and watch our “rebuilding” youngsters currently leading a second round series against the best team in the NHL. There’s something so sweet about it because we’re watching from the underdog position of just being happy to have a few extra Wings games to watch.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 05/21/13 at 04:23 PM ET

Stevis's avatar

Heh.  Semi-good-natured ribbing from the gate agent, and one guy on my flight clearly peeved to be flying with a reminder.  That was fun.

Posted by Stevis on 05/21/13 at 06:03 PM ET

monkey's avatar

But then, as NHL refs tend to do, the make-up calls start flooding in. I mean, the Shaw no-goal? That was a goal.

Shaw’s positioning prevented Jimmy from moving freely within his crease.  No goal.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/21/13 at 06:38 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

“I don’t think it was frustration,” veteran Chicago defenseman Michal Rozsival said. “I think it was just more showing that, you know, we are not going to [just] take everything and we are going to be battling. It wasn’t frustration. It was just more showing that we are there and we are going to be there and we are going to be fighting.”

Strange quote for a player on the #1 seed to be saying but ok…

Posted by pgoody on 05/21/13 at 08:13 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

other topic, self indulgent,

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/21/13 at 10:45 AM ET

Congrats to them both and to the proud Daddy

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/21/13 at 09:04 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/21/13 at 12:21 PM ET

LOL  cool grin

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/21/13 at 09:09 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/21/13 at 10:20 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

RWBill, congrats to your daughter and son-in-law.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/22/13 at 08:52 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

hahahah look at the pic the Hockey News has alongside the “Roy for coach” article…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/22/13 at 12:17 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

something that hit me after reading the hockeynews.com article about Howard…

since being down 3-2 in the Ducks series, the Wings have won 4 out of 5 games.

can you say “rolling at the right time?”

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/22/13 at 12:25 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

RWBill - hearty congratulations to your family!  What a great achievement!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/22/13 at 02:08 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Congrats, Bill, you must be very proud of both of them.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 05/22/13 at 03:19 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

If you haven’t seen the Forget Pierre Between the Benches post over at Winging it in Motown… it’s must read material.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/22/13 at 04:07 PM ET

Like one comment under that post, MO, I had a ticklish troll boner.

Love it.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/22/13 at 04:39 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/22/13 at 06:30 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

* Babcock is Awesome *

During the second intermission of a playoff game in 2002, Holland recalled Babcock telling him he wanted to be the next coach of the Red Wings.

“I don’t hire interns,’’ Holland said he told Babcock. “The next year, he knocked us out of the playoffs.’

“... out there having fun and bein greasy ..  “

thanks George Malik

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/22/13 at 06:50 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Story time since Gary didn’t give us hockey tonight.

So I went to watch my nephew pitch varsity last night.  He has one no-hitter to his credit on the season alreadyas a junior, on a powerhouse team at a pretty small school.

He generally pitches once per conference doubleheader, but of course last night I was there for every single pitch both games and he sat in the dugout for every single one, even though they mercyed the other team both games trying to wrap up the conference title.  Nice to see them get it and all but… would’ve liked to have seen the kid at least pinch hit or get an inning out in the field even.

So today they played again about 2 hours away, and of course… they mercy them both games (and mercy it was because wow did storms roll in soon after)... and my nephew throws another No-No.  One of these days I’ll get to see him throw one maybe.

Posted by Primis on 05/22/13 at 08:11 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again… I cant wait to play these cupcake teams in the l(E)ast…

Posted by pgoody on 05/22/13 at 09:51 PM ET