Abel to Yzerman

Blackhawks Down

Updated at 2057 PST because I forgot something really important at the end of this post.

No...not down.

Hammered.

May 16, 2013|Dan McNeil

Right now the Blackhawks are the hammer and the Red Wings are the nail. That will not change during the duration of these Western Conference semifinals.

The Blackhawks are too fast for Detroit. They're too deep. The Hawks are much more experienced, especially at the blue line. They're too well conditioned.

Chicago is too everything for a Wings team that appeared out of gas after going a full seven games against Anaheim in the first round.

'97 was amazing. Nothing can compare to that, to what it meant.

But this?  Welcome to the postseason of your adult lives.

Only 6 wins in, and this is remarkable.  What this team has done, what it continues to do...it's stunning.  Where did this come from?

The minds of Kenny Holland, Jim Nill, Mike Babcock.  They saw this when none of us could.

Discuss as you see fit.  You've got two days to revel in this team before Game 4.  But, I'll tell you this: you have every reason to be optimistic.  Detroit, and who the hell would have been drunk enough to say this two days, two weeks, two months, two years ago...Detroit is the better team.

If they can keep this up?

You might want to start counting Tuesdays. I'm just saying.

Oh, and meanwhile...

...in Walnut Grove? They're grading their Left Defensmen.  Suck it. I'd comment but they, you know, banned me.

And in St. Louis

I've been batting this article around in my head since literally the night playoffs ended for the Blues. Do I write it here, do I write it at my site? Do I write it at all? Am I the only one who has noticed a huge cultural difference between the Blues and Cardinals and how they handle disappointment?

Riveting.  You can suck it, too.  As per usual.

10 to frigging 12, baby.  10 to 12.  Burn. This. Conference. Down.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Burn. This. Conference. Down.

I have Johnny Cash on my mind, Master Chief.  And it’s a great time to have it in my head.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/20/13 at 11:04 PM ET

Bent's avatar

The best thing about this article is that it is already invalidated, no matter what else happens.

10 to 12.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/20/13 at 11:09 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

carryover from the previous thread—

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/20/13 at 10:57 PM ET

I never came out and said so Capt D, but having watched Seth Jones play in Portland this season (I’m watching the start of game 2 of the Memorial Cup on local TV even as I type this), every time you mentioned him wearing the winged wheel, there were many times that all I could think of was how perfect that would be.  That kid is going to be hell on ice for years to come.  But in spite of that, and in spite my well-documented disagreement with how the team was managed during the final years of Saint Nick, while I wouldn’t have been against the Wings somehow ending up with Jones, it just wasn’t in me to openly root for it,

I don’t have any animosity to those who did openly root for this to happen though.  As a fan, I totally understand the temptation of seeing a player of that caliber end up in your team’s lap.  But I also know that as many times as it happened, it never quite worked out for the Lions either.

I don’t think this qualifies you as a bandwagoner though.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 05/20/13 at 11:17 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/20/13 at 11:17 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

‘97 was amazing. Nothing can compare to that, to what it meant.

But this?  Welcome to the postseason of your adult lives.

I thought this when the Wings scored their first two goals tonight…that I haven’t felt this way about a playoff run since 1997.

it was fresh, it was new.  1998?  a given.  2002?  wall-to-wall superstars.  2008?  same basic core, winning one for the road.

but this year?  it’s 1997 all over again.  fresh and new.  kids stepping up.  a team finding its identity.

I fell in love with them game 7 last series.  this series?  I’m on my knees..if they’ll have me.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/20/13 at 11:20 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Burn. This. Conference. Down.

you should be the one writing ditties for the Wings, Chief.  this is far, far better than “Octopi Hockeytown.”  I mean, really?  that’s a joke.  a frigging joke.

I know you usually do classics, but this just fits.

We’re building it up
To break it back down
We’re building it up
To burn it down
We can’t wait
To burn it to the ground

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/20/13 at 11:23 PM ET

Honestly, by every means, we have the right to walk around with a little swagger.  But the way the Wings modestly tapped each other’s gloves after the game was more telling to me.  “We’re not done.  We still have a Game Four on Thursday.”  They were a calm collected bunch.  They were pros.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/20/13 at 11:29 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Almost too soon, good sir, but I’ll join everyone passing the peace pipe in the john in the back of the Hasek.

Faux the NHL. Leave those bodies in their wake.

Well…disregard that given today’s other, more important events in OK but…

Burn it down. Burn it all down.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/20/13 at 11:29 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

The 2013 Wings aren’t trying to play like the 2002 or 2008 Wings. They have been trying for the last few seasons. This is working.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/20/13 at 11:33 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

SYF from the Flood

Good call on Pavel’s goal. Voo doo stuff there guy.

And your boy Watson…... not sure what to say. Started off total Watson, but even he had to find a heart after that much crap. He def made some calls that not only benefited the wings, but were actually right.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 05/20/13 at 11:37 PM ET

Mike Babcock has this team playing out of their mind.  I always though he was underrated, but this year proves he s the NHLs most underrated cach.  What he did with this roster and how he mixed in the kids is nothing short of amazing.

Posted by bababooey on 05/20/13 at 11:40 PM ET

Just believe, TKShreve.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/20/13 at 11:47 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

The Wings are in these guy’s heads.  I love it.

10 to 12 LRGW!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/20/13 at 11:52 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I BELIEVE!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/20/13 at 11:52 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I didn’t feel too terribly optimistic before. Now? We can beat the Cawks. We can beat anyone.

10 to 12. Bring it on!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/20/13 at 11:57 PM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

I thought Wings just couldn’t compare on D, regardless who was in the pipes. I mean:

Keith/Seabrook/Rosival/Hjalmarsson/Oduya/Montador/Leddy

orrrr Kronwall/E/Q/Kindl/Cola/Smith

No offense to anyone playing D for the Wings, because who wouldn’t want to have the talent to do so? Yet, the Hawks and other teams, on paper, look so much better than the Wing’s D-men overall.

We all sadly saw Oduya’s shot the other night, he won a cup [ or two (sorry I’m not Pierre the Stat-Whore), with NJ right?]. With him and Keith/Seabrook alone they seem much better than the Wings on paper or for betting odds. That’s also why hockey is the greatest sport ever and you shouldn’t gamble kids, unless you know when to hold em, and know when to fold em.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 05/20/13 at 11:57 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Chicago still leads the series 2-1…

What is going on with the coverage of this series… from commentators to analysts to broadcasts to production to referees…

Posted by pgoody on 05/21/13 at 12:00 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

hey tony,
copied from the Live Blog

Not sure if anyone else is watching, but this Swiss vs. Sweden IIHF is a good game. Hockey is still on TV and I don’t have shit to do, hooray for me.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Out in the West Texas town of El Paso on 05/20/13 at 11:25 PM ET

I didn’t see it, but know who wins smile

Autographs,
Robbie Krieger
Ray Manzarek, RIP.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/21/13 at 12:01 AM ET

RhymeTimeWingsDings's avatar

Although I hate the term Hank and Pav have swagger.  No doubt about who the best two forwards in the nhl are.  All around forward at least.

Posted by RhymeTimeWingsDings on 05/21/13 at 12:04 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

You don’t want to know what I saw on google images trying to find this for you bitches.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/21/13 at 12:08 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Chicago still leads the series 2-1…

Posted by pgoody on 05/21/13 at 12:00 AM ET

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/21/13 at 12:10 AM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

Haha yes RWBill, Sweden correct? I realized after a few minutes after I posted it that it was CLEARLY not live, and I already knew the winner. Regardless, I forgot and was busy when it was aired, so I am going to enjoy it tonight because hockey isn’t on basic cable often.

So you have Manzarek’s signature for No One Here Gets Out Alive? Read it and I am very jealous. Hahaha I’m not sure if it was you, but someone in the live blog said they saw Manzarek and Kreiger live, and I guess it was Manzarek who hit on his daughter. Hilarious. The man was a genius.

I was born in ‘89 and it sure as hell wasn’t my fault or problem that the best music was made in the 50s-70s.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 05/21/13 at 12:12 AM ET

Don’t forget the fans getting in on the ridiculousness.  Seen a few comments popping up about Franzen being offside on the Datsyuk goal.  Apparently the Hawks fans who have only been following hockey for a few years or so aren’t aware you can back into the zone if you have control of the puck.  My roommate, (Hawks fan) was complaining about the goalie interference call when he got back from the bar, and when I asked him what he thought about the boarding/crosscheck of Franzen right before the Kane goal he didn’t know what I was talking about.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 05/21/13 at 12:12 AM ET

From Bill Roose at redwings.nhl.com:

“Listen, there’s no easy formula to win hockey games,” said defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo, who had a plus-2 rating Monday. “That’s still a really good team over there and the series is not over. It’s only two games. We’re playing more like ourselves. Game 1, nobody recognized that team out there. Take nothing away from them, they’re still a great team. We expected a better effort from them tonight and we needed to elevate our game one more step. We’re playing really well right now and when we play like that we’re a really tough team to play with. That’s all we worry about. We worry about the way we play.”

See, even he gets it.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/21/13 at 12:17 AM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

Also, aside from from Datsyuk and the other great foreign players, let’s just all agree the U.S. and Canada have the greatest hockey players as well as the greatest rock n’ roll bands ever, or no? I mean c’mon: The Doors, Grateful Dead, CCR, Neil Young, Rush…c’mon…

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 05/21/13 at 12:19 AM ET

Off-topic:  Master Chief, y’all gonna love this:  Dives set to name Waaaaaah! and his Statue of Liberty play as their next head coach.

Oh I cannot wait for that town to start fellating itself into oblivion.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/21/13 at 12:25 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Tony Perkis from Out in the West Texas town of El Paso on 05/21/13 at 12:12 AM ET

Yes that was us, lol.  My daughter was born in 1991 and in high school became a huge Doors fan.  In fact she opened my ears to a lot of Doors songs I had never heard myself.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/21/13 at 12:37 AM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

RWBill, I assume stuff that was probably released after Jim’s death, like maybe “Ghost Song?” I didn’t mean to sound like Manzarek was a genius for hitting on a young girl, but the Doors were all very talented and I think underrated as musicians. Good for your girl listen to music played by musicians playing actual instruments, instead of making music on a Macbook. You raised hear right.

On topic:
I respected Toews and I’m sure that was said . Yeah good for him, possibly trying to emulate the legendary #19 who has a *#$%@& road named after him where the Wings play? Stop your bitching and you got it. Too many young/not-poised-enough? captains are handed the role of leading teams.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 05/21/13 at 12:59 AM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

Coming from an almost-1/4 century guy, the Wing’s captains/leaders are honestly on a completely different league than most teams and that’s because of age/experience. That and I guess coaching are clearly evident. No offense to Cindy or Toews, but their teams would have likely won the Cup if veterans captained that team. Yeah, I said captained as a verb.

Look at Cindy and the Pens last year against the Flyers. Disgrace.
Zett and Datsyuk are so much more much experienced and have been through much worse shit than Toews/Kane and those AssClowns.

I guess from a marketing standpoint it makes sense to have the young guys leading the show. In reality, if you want to win, you want your leaders to be guys who have won and lost giving it their all. That comes with age and obviously NHL experience.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 05/21/13 at 01:13 AM ET

Saw something cool uploaded on Youtube by uber user, weallbleedredd.  Kris Draper Explaining a Red Wings Playoffs Tradition that started with Dom.  Very cool.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/21/13 at 01:14 AM ET

I am so proud of this team and how it has come together.  Burn down the west for Little Gary.
I want my youngsters to see the tradition and feel what we have experienced before.  10 to 12.  Even my six year old knows what that means.

Posted by Jeff from CO. on 05/21/13 at 01:47 AM ET

YOUNG PUCK's avatar

Detroit, and who the hell would have been drunk enough to say this two days, two weeks, two months, two years ago…Detroit is the better team.

Me - YOUNG PUCK

Posted by YOUNG PUCK on 05/21/13 at 01:56 AM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

I never get tired of watching Nyqvist’s goal… *sigh*

Posted by SandysWingingit on 05/21/13 at 03:33 AM ET

VooX's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/21/13 at 12:10 AM ET

SBNation hockey, for the past week on my iphone, redirects me to a site called sexfuchteen.com

Just a comment, not a complaint.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 05/21/13 at 04:44 AM ET

dougie's avatar

I love the smell of victory in the morning.

Posted by dougie on 05/21/13 at 06:24 AM ET

monkey's avatar

Steve Yzerman was 21 when he was named captain and people thought Jacques Demers was crazy for giving a kid so much responsibility.  I didn’t follow them back then but I imagine he grew into the role.  Everyone has to start somewhere. But then again, some guys are just whiny little babies.

Of course a lot of teams do it now because it worked out so well here.  It takes a long time to build a tradition and a culture of winning as the Ilitch family has done here in Detroit.  Other teams see that and try to copy it and usually end up with a pale imitation.

I wonder about Toews and Crosby though.  They each won the Cup at such a young age, they are certainly both on a far different trajectory than Yzerman was at that point in his career.  He learned everything the hard way, learned what it takes to win by losing over and over again. He changed his style of play to benefit the team at a time when a lot of guys were refusing.    These guys now, the defensive responsibilities are unquestioned because of the example that Yzerman and the Red Wings set and because that’s the mold that so many teams seek to replicate now.  Is that better or worse for them as leaders?  Is there any growth?  What about adversity?  It looks like they’ve had everything handed to them almost.  At least Crosby lost in the Final once before winning.

It’s interesting too that naming a super young guy to be captain is something the Red Wings today would absolutely NOT do.  They want it to be earned, not given.  But, once again, these other teams are not at that point.  They’re trying to build a tradition, not sustain one.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/21/13 at 07:16 AM ET

monkey's avatar

I love the smell of victory in the morning.

Dude, I don’t think that’s victory you smell.  I think we may need a plumber.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/21/13 at 07:17 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by monkey from Finland on 05/21/13 at 07:16 AM ET

Exactly.  DET was the Dead Things when Yzerman got the “C”.

PIT, CHI, COL w/ Landeskog… they’re all so far gone from where they were that there’s almost no risk in naming a kid Captain when they did.

Posted by Primis on 05/21/13 at 08:23 AM ET

Primis's avatar

HAH!  Patrick Roy is the next Avs coach?!

No words, just LOL’s for everyone.  YOU get an LOL… and YOU get an LOL…

Posted by Primis on 05/21/13 at 08:28 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

What the hell happened with the officials in the third period? The first two periods weren’t perfectly called, but I thought they were respectable and fairly consistent at letting the game predominantly be a 5-on-5 affair (which happens to strongly benefit the Wings who play great at ES and terrible on the PP and PK).

Then, it all started with the Kane goal. The hit from behind and/or cross-check by Hjalmarsson on Franzen that should’ve resulted in that play being dead and the Wings heading to the PP ends up with the puck behind Howard. Clear missed call by the refs. I was upset, but not too upset—calls get missed. But then, as NHL refs tend to do, the make-up calls start flooding in. I mean, the Shaw no-goal? That was a goal. Clear as day. Had that happened to Homer in 2008 I’d have been pissed. Duncan Keith for roughing? Should’ve been a 4-on-4 on account of Brunner’s retaliation. A clear high stick right into Z’s chops? Missed or ignored, not sure which. That’s just a snapshot of the terrible officiating that was the third period.

Both teams have reason to be pretty frustrated with how the refs worked in the third, and hopefully in game four we get consistency all the way through.

That all said, I thought the guys on CBC had the best take of the three networks I watched post-game (CBC, NBCSN, NHLN)—the Wings were the better team overall, and the result reflected that. The third period was a comedy of errors by the refs that both clubs struggled with on a few specific plays, but you can’t honestly look at a 3-1 score and say it’s not indicative of how the teams played.

Z was better than Toews, Pav was better than Sharp, Mule was better than Hossa, Nyquist was far better than Kane! Kronwall and Ericsson were better than Keith and Seabrook, and Kindl and Smith were better than Hjalmarsson and Leddy. And most importantly, Howard was better than Crawford.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/21/13 at 08:42 AM ET