Abel to Yzerman

Blacked Out: COMPLETELY

So the Hawks/Wild started at 8 and the Wings/Ducks at 10:30.  Naturally there's no way, even in regulation, that game would have been over to see the start. I'm cool with that. Used to it. The NHL hasn't been able to crack that code...ever.  Not since the USA Network...PRE-BETTMAN.

I listen to the first on the radio, on my phone. Got it. I'm ok. I know I'll have the game on NBCSN when OT ends in Chicago.

Over. Wild lose.  I like that.

Wings/Ducks. First ten seconds of the second period then...poof.  "Blacked out in your area."  Fine. Switch to Fox Sports SW: "Blacked out in your area."  Fine. Switch to Game Center Live: "Blacked out in your area."

Is this what you envisioned, Commissioner? Really?

This league is a joke.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

monkey's avatar

You know what the real problem is… If this happened with NFL, MLB or even NBA the fan bases would be heard and the league would do something about it, quickly.

You must be joking.  NFL Sunday Ticket is only available on DirecTV.  Everyone else can *#$%@& off.

Money talks, fans walk.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 05/01/13 at 06:22 PM ET

BC's avatar

Hey, All.  At the expense of appearing technologically behind the times I wanted to ask a question about the live feeds.  I followed one of the links someone here provided and got to some pop-up that said I should download a program, I think it was called “Livid”.  I assumed I needed it to watch, so I did, and ended up with my browser being reconfigured, which scared the crap out of me because it was a company-owned laptop.

My question is: do the live feeds work on Quicktime or Windows Media Player without having to download a viewer?  Or do I need to download the viewer and just be smarter about it.

Thanks for the help.  I really enjoy reading this blog.  The live blogs make me feel a lot closer to home.

BC

Posted by BC on 05/01/13 at 07:11 PM ET

monkey's avatar

NHL Gamecenter Live + Unblock Us. Pick a server in Portugal. Watch all the games!

I live in Finland!

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 05/01/13 at 07:22 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I have heard of such a thing as livid video player.  Can’t vouch for it.

Some feeds do work on Quicktime or Windows Media Player.  bdos mentioned a feed he was using that worked great in Quicktime.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 05/01/13 at 07:24 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

With the tighter than RW’s cousin’s legs NHL schedule of playoff games, I wonder if this is going to be the justification to abolish ot and have shootouts instead. Adjusting my aluminum helmet. Sarcasm. surprised

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 05/01/13 at 07:38 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by BC on 05/01/13 at 08:11 PM ET

When I am live-feeding, I use a browser with a lot of the bells and whistles turned off, and popup/ad blockers enabled.  And then I use the rule that if it asks me to download a player, I move on.

You can find plenty of sites with the video embedded that won’t require a download. Some require you to sit though a :30 ad first, but sometimes even that doesn’t work right and it skips it.

Posted by Primis on 05/01/13 at 08:36 PM ET

Bent's avatar

BC,
It sounds like the iLivid spyware that is prevalent on many file locker sites.  Very sketchy and NEVER required, it always disguises its download button as the one you want to click on.  I would run a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from malwarebytes.org to make sure you don’t have anything you don’t want on your system.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/01/13 at 09:46 PM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

Posted by HeilThom from Hockeytown, USA on 05/01/13 at 12:36 PM ET

I’m strongly considering doing this next season, but what about the nationally televised games? Aren’t those blacked out on Gamecenter everywhere in the country?

Also I was thinking about doing hockeystreams.com, but the process to watch games on xbox and smart tvs seems pretty complicated, it looks like you have to go through a pretty extensive process for every single specific feed you want to watch, or am I wrong? Anyone have experience in that area?

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 05/01/13 at 10:23 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Exactly.  But there’s still a Gamecenter feed- to outside the United States.  If you live in Finland, like me, you get to watch every game.

Check out unblock-us.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 05/02/13 at 07:37 AM ET

BC's avatar

Monkey, Bent, Primis:

Thanks much for the advice.  It sounds like being selective about the sites I use and ignoring the “required downloads” will get me there.  We have snow in the forecast today and who knows if the dish will pick up anything.  We may have to rely on the internet again.  Thanks, again.  GO, WINGS!

Posted by BC on 05/02/13 at 08:17 AM ET

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 05/01/13 at 10:46 PM ET

I swear by this.  It is a bona fide badass website.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/02/13 at 12:35 PM ET

« Previous        < 1 2