Abel to Yzerman

Biased, Unprofessional and Verbose

The Chief let the lid off the big surprise this morning, and I’m happy to confirm the report:

The Emperor made me an offer I couldn’t refuse, and after an incredibly difficult decision-making process, I’m officially bringing my biased, unprofessional and verbose Red Wings coverage to Kukla’s Korner in mid-September.  From the prospect camp coverage onward, I hope to bring the same level of inordinate post-counts and roughly-translated Swedish that you’ve come to expect on Snapshots into the as-yet-unnamed blog (suggestions for names/banners are welcome), and I couldn’t be happier to join the ever-expanding reach of the hardest-working blogger in the business in Paul Kukla.

MLive gave me my start and stuck with me for four-and-a-half years, and I can’t say enough good things about their kindness and patience with a still-raw blogger, but it’s time to move on and there was only one choice to make once Paul offered me the chance to join KK, especially given that there’s a fantastic community here that’s fitting the bill for my trip to Traverse City (and we’re 2/3rds of the way to signed/sealed/delivered already!).

As Paul stated this morning, KK will be adding more bloggers to the mix and the revised KK will allow members to filter their coverage, so there’s no need to fear a Red Wings overload.

In all seriousness, I’ve got a lot to live up working under The Emperor and The Chief, so I can only hope that this is the start of an inordinate amount of hard work and an opportunity to grow on an as-earned basis.  I’m excited and admittedly a little overwhelmed by the move but it’s time to take a big leap and grow in the process.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

Red Winger's avatar

From God’s Country, welcome aboard.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 08/16/10 at 04:58 PM ET

Biased, Unprofessional and Verbose

Three qualities I find highly appealing in a Wings blogger.  Welcome aboard, George.

Posted by BobTheZee on 08/16/10 at 05:11 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

George, are the Snapshots archives still going to be available at MLive or another location, or will they be forever lost?

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 08/16/10 at 05:18 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Fantastic!
Welcome Aboard, George!

Posted by w2j2 on 08/16/10 at 05:19 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

+19. Welcome home.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 08/16/10 at 05:27 PM ET

Osrt's avatar

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Booooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Isht is ON!

Congrats a billion times George! Looking forward to actually commenting on your posts and not having those idiots from the Mlive forum infest it. Woo.

Posted by Osrt on 08/16/10 at 05:42 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

Is George on the H2H2 list now? ha, welcome man, good to see you here.

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 08/16/10 at 05:50 PM ET

Andy from FightNight's avatar

George Malik and the mothers of invention
George Malik and the mothers of intervention
George Malik and his magic band
Curious George
Better than Marek Malik

Posted by Andy from FightNight on 08/16/10 at 06:10 PM ET

aaron in phoenix's avatar

Welcome George! So glad that you are making the jump over here.
How about “Malik’s Mowtown Lowdown” for a title?

Posted by aaron in phoenix from Section 102 on 08/16/10 at 07:11 PM ET

aaron in phoenix's avatar

* er…I meant “Malik’s Motown Lowdown”

Posted by aaron in phoenix from Section 102 on 08/16/10 at 07:15 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Answers to questions:

“George Malik sure is a clown”: Yes.

Regarding the Snapshots archives, that’s MLive’s property, so either I figure out a way to magically hack the archives or it stays where it stays.

Russian and Finnish and Czech and Slovak as well.

As for Khan, seriously, there’s no dirt.  He is, as they say about hockey players, a “consummate professional.”

I think that one way or another, the readers will pick the title…you’re better at this stuff than I am.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/16/10 at 07:29 PM ET

Tony's avatar

Congrats George…
  Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 08/16/10 at 01:42 PM ET

Get out of here. troll!

Posted by Animal Drew from A Nightmare on Helm Street on 08/16/10 at 01:53 PM ET

Oops, sorry, I forgot that Wings fans never comment in Pens’ blogs….  Or if/when they do, it’s considered acceptable….

Again, congrats George…

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 08/16/10 at 07:41 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

“Trolls” welcome in my book.  The more the merrier.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/16/10 at 07:52 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Besides, we’re coworkers now wink

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/16/10 at 07:53 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Also: HOLY CRAP.  I’m going to have to get used to my email having hundreds and hundreds of messages every day…

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/16/10 at 07:55 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

George, welcome. The triumvirate is complete. Try to get used to using “redolent” in some sentences, as it has become part of the daily lexicon, and blogs don’t feel as complete without.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 08/16/10 at 08:15 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Malik Pharmaceuticals.

How’s that sound?

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 08/16/10 at 08:30 PM ET

lilja4ever's avatar

Congrats George - big fan.

Name suggestion: Malik’s Red Things

Posted by lilja4ever on 08/16/10 at 09:00 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Congrats, George.

How ‘bout ... “Malik’s Diamonds”?

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 08/16/10 at 09:08 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

Drew: Going to do my best to write even longer and less exciting post titles.

Heh. That will be interesting. smile

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 08/16/10 at 09:17 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

Sounds like we need to have George on a Puckcast.

Posted by Forklift from Section 314 in the United Center on 08/16/10 at 03:38 PM ET

It’s liable to run long, Forklift. smile

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 08/16/10 at 09:26 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Welcome to the jungle, bitch.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 08/16/10 at 09:29 PM ET

Since71's avatar

Damn glad to welcome you aboard George and I look forward to continuing my daily read from the deepest digger known to man.

Posted by Since71 from Bucharest, Romania on 08/16/10 at 09:34 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Welcome Gorgeous Gorge!?!

P.S.  Wow mountain dew is amazing!!!

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/16/10 at 09:53 PM ET

Aphaea's avatar

Excellent; one less site to visit daily. Congrats, George.

Sounds like we need to have George on a Puckcast.

Yes. Hells yes.

Posted by Aphaea on 08/16/10 at 10:10 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Dear Penguins fans:

Hey as a penguins fan, I wanted to tell you how impressed I am when it comes to Crosby’s playoff beard. I mean that doesn’t make him look like a b*tch at all. I got confused watching a pens game, I was like “Wow, did they replace Crosby with a mountain man or something?” Talk about intimidation! I wouldn’t know if I was playing against Chewbacca or the shoe bomber!

Anyways, it’s a good look. It definitely takes away from the cry baby image that the league gives him.

Thanks for your time.

P.s. At least we can agree that we all despise Hossa, right?

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/16/10 at 10:35 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Welcome to the jungle, bitch.

Ain’t that the truth.

I figured it out this way: blogging is a helluva jungle these days, and getting more crowded all the time, so I the best thing I could do is to join up with the biggest guns around.

The scary part is that I’m theoretically the measured voice of reason here.  Which is total BS.

Lesson lesson: we can’t be civil.

Seriously, we can all agree that Marian’s motivated by his wallet.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/16/10 at 11:55 PM ET

perfection's avatar

glad to know you’ll be posting as much George… i always enjoy your rapid fire blogs when i can return a few times in the course of a day to find several new links. that sheer volume of info isn’t usually contributed by a single blogger.

in terms of name… does MLive own ‘Snapshots’? i sort of equate that name with you and don’t see any reason you should change it unless you can’t bring it with you. my next choice would be ‘By George’ because it’s a double entendre, something fitting for you writer types.

also - i have to say that as someone who occasionally comments on your blogs at MLive, there are some dumb mofos posting comments over there. i may disagree, often redolently, with many folks here, but i always am impressed by the general knowledge of the game. more often than not, the current Snapshots blog will have the same dumbass on every single post commenting about how he hates the Wings because McCarty’s not on the team anymore. that dude wouldn’t last a day in these parts. i think your blogs will lead to fantastic discussions like many here. assuming you will be participating a bit, i think this will be a much more interactive and fun setup than your MLive gig.

in short… it’s awesome.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 08/16/10 at 11:56 PM ET

Osrt's avatar

Posted by Tony

I think he was being ironical Tony. We know you’re not a troll. Just a slightly misshapen dwarf. grin

Posted by Osrt on 08/17/10 at 08:04 AM ET

monkey's avatar

For the new title, you could attempt to placate the alphabet idiot(s?) and call it “Abdelkader to Zunich”.

Nevermind-  that is a terrible, awful idea.

Seriously, my two cents is to incorporate your initials GM into it- something like “From the GM” or “From the GM’s desk” or “The GM Conference”.  Done well it could be a triple entendre, being a Detroit blog.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 08/17/10 at 09:15 AM ET

Jennemy of the Skate's avatar

Why can’t it be called “Slapshots”?

Posted by Jennemy of the Skate from the bar car on the stress train on 08/17/10 at 02:44 PM ET

I think monkey’s on the right track and I agree:  something along the lines of using your name’s initials, “GM.”  It connotates an all-encompassing look at the state of the NHL as a regular NHL GM would look at the business and the game of the NHL, which is how you wrote for MLive, IMO.

I like monkey’s “The GM Conference.”

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 08/17/10 at 03:03 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

‘By George’ is not bad, but I think something a little more straight forward would be better:

‘The Malik Report’

It rolls off the tongue better,
much easier to remember,
as you will be quoted often on other blogs,
and by the media.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 08/17/10 at 06:39 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Why can’t it be called “Slapshots”?

Genius.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 08/17/10 at 07:18 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

For the record: Leahy has asked me to make sure that we make fun of Ryan Lambert instead.  He’s got a point.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/17/10 at 10:50 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Also: “Malik’s Wing-Spoked Wheel?”  Too fancy-schmancy?

Slap Shots is Larry Brooks’ column.  Not gonna go there.  I’m not quite that crazy.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/18/10 at 01:43 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Malik’s Gems” or “The GM’s Gems

in reference to my ‘Malik’s Diamonds’.

(Remember all the the lumps of coal we “laid” last season? ... )

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 08/18/10 at 10:44 AM ET

Jennemy of the Skate's avatar

Also: “Malik’s Wing-Spoked Wheel?” Too fancy-schmancy?

Posted by George James Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/18/10 at 12:43 AM ET

aw dang, that’s right. doh.

Posted by Jennemy of the Skate from the bar car on the stress train on 08/18/10 at 10:52 AM ET

Andy from FightNight's avatar

Posted by George James Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/17/10 at 09:50 PM ET

Making fun of Lambert is almost too easy

Posted by Andy from FightNight on 08/18/10 at 01:40 PM ET

chloefpuff's avatar

Ahh, the best keeps getting better…............Welcome aboard George!

Posted by chloefpuff on 08/19/10 at 09:17 PM ET