Abel to Yzerman

Biased, Unprofessional and Verbose

The Chief let the lid off the big surprise this morning, and I’m happy to confirm the report:

The Emperor made me an offer I couldn’t refuse, and after an incredibly difficult decision-making process, I’m officially bringing my biased, unprofessional and verbose Red Wings coverage to Kukla’s Korner in mid-September.  From the prospect camp coverage onward, I hope to bring the same level of inordinate post-counts and roughly-translated Swedish that you’ve come to expect on Snapshots into the as-yet-unnamed blog (suggestions for names/banners are welcome), and I couldn’t be happier to join the ever-expanding reach of the hardest-working blogger in the business in Paul Kukla.

MLive gave me my start and stuck with me for four-and-a-half years, and I can’t say enough good things about their kindness and patience with a still-raw blogger, but it’s time to move on and there was only one choice to make once Paul offered me the chance to join KK, especially given that there’s a fantastic community here that’s fitting the bill for my trip to Traverse City (and we’re 2/3rds of the way to signed/sealed/delivered already!).

As Paul stated this morning, KK will be adding more bloggers to the mix and the revised KK will allow members to filter their coverage, so there’s no need to fear a Red Wings overload.

In all seriousness, I’ve got a lot to live up working under The Emperor and The Chief, so I can only hope that this is the start of an inordinate amount of hard work and an opportunity to grow on an as-earned basis.  I’m excited and admittedly a little overwhelmed by the move but it’s time to take a big leap and grow in the process.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Animal Drew's avatar

first!!!!11111!!!!111

Posted by Animal Drew from A Nightmare on Helm Street on 08/16/10 at 03:30 PM ET

Twig in Houston's avatar

awesome, congratz.

Posted by Twig in Houston from Houston, TX on 08/16/10 at 03:30 PM ET

Cliff's avatar

Welcome Aboard!  Fantastic News!

Will your coverage remain basically the same, including NHL-related issues like Salary Cap / Labor issues?  Or is it going to be more Red Wings specific, or perhaps more National based?

Posted by Cliff on 08/16/10 at 03:31 PM ET

Animal Drew's avatar

Finally a Red Wings blogger at KK with a “semblance of objectivity”...and a “verbose” one at that.  My life is now complete.

Posted by Animal Drew from A Nightmare on Helm Street on 08/16/10 at 03:32 PM ET

GrahamWIIM's avatar

Welcome, George. I’m looking forward to being able to actually comment on your posts without having to register at MLive. This will definitely class up the joint.

Posted by GrahamWIIM from Chicago via Toronto on 08/16/10 at 03:32 PM ET

Andy from FightNight's avatar

Welcome and congrats George! looking forward to your work here.

Posted by Andy from FightNight on 08/16/10 at 03:36 PM ET

I raise my Jameson’s to you, George.  Glad you’re here.  w00t(exclamation point)

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 08/16/10 at 03:37 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Cliff: Same stuff, different place.  Still going to blather on about the CBA and NHLPA.  I wouldn’t have agreed to come here without that caveat.

Drew: Going to do my best to write even longer and less exciting post titles.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/16/10 at 03:37 PM ET

Animal Drew's avatar

Drew: Going to do my best to write even longer and less exciting post titles.
Posted by George James Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/16/10 at 01:37 PM ET

yessssssssssssssssssssss

Posted by Animal Drew from A Nightmare on Helm Street on 08/16/10 at 03:41 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

75% of my clicks on mlive found their way over to George’s Snapshots.

This may be expected as both IWOCPO and the Emperor (rw1) originated back in mlive/redwings years ago but outgrew it.  The migration of George Malik only makes sense.

Pretty soon we can expect to see Mitch Albom petitioning PK for his own blog at KK, which I hope is summarily rejected because trolls already provide enough douchebaggery.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/16/10 at 03:41 PM ET

Tony's avatar

Congrats George…

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 08/16/10 at 03:42 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Welcome, the more the better. Now to get Baroque a blog.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 08/16/10 at 03:43 PM ET

edillac's avatar

hi there,
now enough with the niceness,start overloading us with Wings material

Posted by edillac from isolation on 08/16/10 at 03:47 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Welcome aboard, bitch.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 08/16/10 at 03:48 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 08/16/10 at 01:43 PM ET

Why don’t you blog about Baroque? After all, your head is so far up her ass you can tell what she had for dinner a couple of days ago.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 08/16/10 at 03:49 PM ET

TheFreak's avatar

Excellent!

George, while I think you could have done well on your own, I am happy you chose to go with Paul and KK. Your coverage of the Wings is second to none. No question Paul has worked hard and earned everything here at KK, when guys like you come on board, it makes this place even better. It’s kinda like that Yzerman thing in Tampa - Paul being the “Yzerman” of this site, attracting and bringing on talent that wants to be a part of something good.

Congrats to you and Paul.

Now, let’s make sure you stay here and don’t pull a “Dave Strader” and bolt for the big leagues after you’ve been “discovered”.

Posted by TheFreak on 08/16/10 at 03:52 PM ET

Animal Drew's avatar

Congrats George…
Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 08/16/10 at 01:42 PM ET

Get out of here. troll!

Posted by Animal Drew from A Nightmare on Helm Street on 08/16/10 at 03:53 PM ET

Cwix's avatar

Congrats, George. It’ll be great to have you on KK.

Posted by Cwix from Grand Rapids, now Chicago, IL on 08/16/10 at 03:53 PM ET

Crater's avatar

Fantastic. This warms the cockles of my heart.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 08/16/10 at 03:53 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Welcome home!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/16/10 at 03:55 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

KK gets it’s own “GM”.

Congrats George!

Enjoy Traverse and have some fun.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, hanging with Dan Cleary.... on 08/16/10 at 03:57 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Welcome… always like your posts on Snapshots, and they will add a lot of value to KK, not just for Wings fans, but your voice in support of the point of view of the NHLPA and many NHL GMs/owners is one that this site sorely needs.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 08/16/10 at 04:02 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Welcome George!  Great to have you over here, sad to see MLive suffer losing you.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 08/16/10 at 04:13 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Welcome aboard George.  This makes my morning Wings reading that much easier.  Friggin mint.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 08/16/10 at 04:17 PM ET

TheFreak's avatar

@ Hippy Dave

I think it’s more sad to see George having to suffer through posting at MLive.  wink

Posted by TheFreak on 08/16/10 at 04:22 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Just what the rest of the league’s fans feared…a Respectable Red Wings blogger joining the frontlines.

But, to ease their worries, I’ll recant the words of the Great Sean Leahy during last season’s first round series against Phoennipeg:

“George Malik sure is a clown.”

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 08/16/10 at 04:24 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

*Ducks.  Watches sh!t fly overhead and smack inner cubicle wall.*

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 08/16/10 at 04:25 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m just glad I don’t have to remember another log-in to comment on George’s stuff.

Welcome aboard, George!

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/16/10 at 04:37 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

What, no Russian?

Seriously George, welcome aboard.  I cannot say enough good things about this move, it’s excellent for all of us.  You pitied me when I told you at H2H that Snapshots was one of my few daily must-reads, well, pity me no more.  If anyone asks again, I’ll just say that Kukla’s Korner is…

I look forward to Biased, Unprofessional, and Verbose making its debut.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 08/16/10 at 04:37 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

And as for titles for your blog, well, I bow to your Mitteleuropean ancestry, and suggest a name that is much beloved that we bestowed upon another, but who is now retired from the Red Wings ranks…

“The Czech Miracle of Insanity.”

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 08/16/10 at 04:40 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Abel to Yzerman.  the alphabet is covered

Except for Abdelkader.

Malik-Lekka-Hi Malik-Hiney-Ho
Claude from Colorado’s Corner
Bettman’s Fan Club
Klaatu Barada Malikto

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/16/10 at 04:49 PM ET

Brooklyn Deuce's avatar

Dig it. Glad to see that GM is getting his own blog on KK.

As for a name?

RW Live (lame!)
Maison Malik (oooh! worse!)

/really bad at this
//stops now

Posted by Brooklyn Deuce from Fauborg Marigny on 08/16/10 at 04:57 PM ET

TheFreak's avatar

Malik

Posted by TheFreak on 08/16/10 at 05:11 PM ET

chollis's avatar

Again, welcome aboard George.

Now that you’re moving away from Snapshots and MLive, does this mean you can finally spill all of that dirt you’ve been saving up on Khan(!)? Inquiring minds want to know…

Posted by chollis from Seattle. Seriously. on 08/16/10 at 05:27 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

George Malik Place.

George Malik and the Sunshine Band.

Malik’d your Mom.

Malik and Hobbes.

Malik and Murphy, Ph.D, D.U.I. (respectively)

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 08/16/10 at 05:30 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Malik’d your Mom.

Nice…

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 08/16/10 at 05:38 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

“Red Wings, by George”

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/16/10 at 05:38 PM ET

Forklift's avatar

Sounds like we need to have George on a Puckcast.

Posted by Forklift from Section 315 in the United Center on 08/16/10 at 05:38 PM ET

GrahamWIIM's avatar

“The Artist Formerly known as MLive.com George”

Posted by GrahamWIIM from Chicago via Toronto on 08/16/10 at 05:46 PM ET