Abel to Yzerman

Autumn’s Closing In

It takes me 12 minutes to drive to work. In that span of time I listened to "Night Moves" twice. The live version.

Taped in Boston.

We've discussed this before. Last Spring, in fact.

When Seger talks about his '60 Chevy, he doesn't sing it. He states it.  It's 1977 and our friends from Japan, Germany, Switzerland...they were all starting to send their cheap, small, economical cars to the US and Seger wanted no part of it.  He was a Detroit guy then, as he is to this day.

And then he moves on to the "southern MIchigan summertime" line and the crowd goes crazy, as if they'd grown up there, as if they know what a southern Michigan summertime is really like.

Oh how they cheer that line.

In Boston.

I was gonna go with AC/DC for this playoff run. I'd decreed it just last week.  I thought it might be good for the soul.  But I can't. I was driving over the Coronado Bridge at 0500, laughing, listening to those lemmings cheer Seger as he was talking about our state, not theirs, and I knew.  It had to be Bullet Bob.

All my fake friends have pets, or at least neighbors.  And every one--all those domestic nice-to-haves--they're all in danger now.  Nothing's off limits.  Find them, eye them up. Make sure everyone knows that sacrifices may be required.

Somewhere, Larry Murphy is absolutely wasted.  Staggering. Slurring. Watching. Judging.

While the rest of us sit uncomfortably on stools of cracked, red vinyl.  Warm cheap beer ladled out by a bald man with an agenda.

The Hasek is full.  The Stress Train is rumbling.

At no point in this post have we mentioned the words, "hockey", "Detroit", or "Red Wings".  Yet all 19 of you know exactly what I'm talking about. Every word has meaning. Every reference.

It's on.  Whore Style.

16 to 12.

It's a Live Blog, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

joedaiceman's avatar

Whore style Baby ! Stress Train Baby ! I dig it all.

Posted by joedaiceman on 04/18/14 at 04:39 PM ET

Surfer Ken's avatar

Your poetry brings a tear to my eye but can’t undo this knot in my stomach.

Lets fukin do this!!

LETS GO RED WINGS!!

Posted by Surfer Ken from San Clemente on 04/18/14 at 04:39 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

all in.

thanks, Chief.

16 to 12 ... indeed

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/18/14 at 04:46 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Peanut butter jelly bitches

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/18/14 at 04:50 PM ET

aerodude's avatar

16 to 12.

Posted by aerodude on 04/18/14 at 04:55 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Evening, Chief, good to see another redolent playoff post from you.  Now that you have officially opened the playoff section of the Hasek, what are you bitches drinking?

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 04/18/14 at 05:06 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 04/18/14 at 05:08 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

It’s on.  Whore Style.

16 to 12.

It’s a Live Blog, bitches.

Evenin’ Bitches. Whore-Style it is. Thanks, Master Chief.

Whatever it takes to win the Playoffs.

Let’s Roll!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/18/14 at 05:12 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Voox - vodka and club soda, please.

I’m heading to a bar friendly to Red Wings fans in these parts.  I need to be around my people for Game 1.

It’s on.

LGRW!!!!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/18/14 at 05:13 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Here is a better link to the Detroit Week page from the previous thread. This one won’t freak out your browser.

Warm cheap beer ladled out by a bald man with an agenda.

VooX has an agenda beyond getting us all FUBAR’ed?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/18/14 at 05:19 PM ET

bigdee89's avatar

Let’s rev up this machine and run over some baby bears.

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 04/18/14 at 05:22 PM ET

A confluence of epic proportions, Chief.

VooX, you handsome bastard.  A pint of Guinness, a shot of Jameson’s on ice, and a lass with a black velvet band tied in her hair.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 04/18/14 at 05:26 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I hate this thing you do.  BUT, i am curious.  Has anyone ever actually done this?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/18/14 at 05:13 PM ET

Yes, I have actually done it whore-style.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/14 at 05:33 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Great Haiku by Kate on the previous page.  We started doing that in Tigers games the last couple of summers because, you know, it’s baseball and it’s 95% filler.  There is no such down time in hockey unless you’re watching the New Jersey Devils.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/14 at 05:37 PM ET

YzerMAN's avatar

16 to 12.

Let’s Go Red Wings!!

Posted by YzerMAN on 04/18/14 at 05:39 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Anyone else ever get nervous bowel?  Anyone else have it right now?

Pardon me I have to drop the kids at the pool.

See yous guys at puck drop.  Bitches.

16 to 12

America.  Fuch. Yeah.

LGRW

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/18/14 at 05:43 PM ET

Just a reminder that Paul Devorski is officiating tonight’s game.  The garbage officiating is already stinking up the place.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 04/18/14 at 05:44 PM ET

Anyone else ever get nervous bowel?  Anyone else have it right now?

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 04/18/14 at 06:43 PM ET

My sphincter’s been dripping all day since I read that Devorski is reffing the game tonight.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 04/18/14 at 05:46 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

Since the Olympic break I have not seen a single Red Wings win.

It is not for lack of trying. But every time I tuned into a game the Wings lost. Even when we were leading late in the third with time running out.

So I stopped watching, for the good of the team.

But this is the second season, so tonight I watch. Win or lose tonight I watch.

This junkie needs his fix.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 04/18/14 at 05:58 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Anyone else ever get nervous bowel?  Anyone else have it right now?

Pardon me I have to drop the kids at the pool.

I read you between the lines perfectly.  Hope the kids don’t make too big a splash.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/14 at 06:01 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

So I stopped watching, for the good of the team.

But this is the second season, so tonight I watch. Win or lose tonight I watch.

This junkie needs his fix.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 04/18/14 at 06:58 PM ET

That is quite the sacrifice, but we appreciate it.  You missed some remarkable energy by the kids.

I think new karma is created starting the second season so welcome back.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/14 at 06:02 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Since the Olympic break I have not seen a single Red Wings win.
So I stopped watching, for the good of the team.
But this is the second season, so tonight I watch. Win or lose tonight I watch.
This junkie needs his fix.

Seriously? Do the other 18 of us have to come over and smash all your TV’s? You stopped watching and they got into the playoffs. You can’t start watching now. You keep not watching and they can win #12.
wink

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/18/14 at 06:04 PM ET

Primis's avatar

It’s Sixteen till’ Twelve, everyone.

Posted by Primis on 04/18/14 at 06:08 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Seger….

Perfect.

I had started jamming Ole’ Bob on repeat a couple days ago in preparation for this year’s ride on the stress train.  And as much as I LOVE Night Moves, I find this one much more appropriate for #23:

You’re still damn good
No one’s gotten to you yet
Everytime they were sure they had you caught
You were quicker than they thought

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/18/14 at 06:10 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 04/18/14 at 06:06 PM ET

I’ll take a straight rye…neat.  Wait, better make it on the rocks.  Gotta pace myself or I’ll be in the gutter before 3rd period starts.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/18/14 at 06:14 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

“Injuries and officiating.” Here’s to HockeytownTodd.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/18/14 at 06:17 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

We need to steal one !

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/14 at 06:20 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Not our 2 points anymore

Its our series now…  Our 4 games!
Our cup!
Our 16 wins!

Posted by Zqto on 04/18/14 at 06:21 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

“Injuries and officiating.” Here’s to HockeytownTodd.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/18/14 at 07:17 PM ET

+19 //stick tap//

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/18/14 at 06:21 PM ET

sjketcheson's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/18/14 at 07:20 PM ET

L.G.R.W. All aboard!

Posted by sjketcheson from the floor of the Hasek on 04/18/14 at 06:23 PM ET

Ah…home just in time to catch a ride on the stress train.  The bottle of rye’s not going back in the cabinet tonight, it’s sitting right next to me all night.

LGRW

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/18/14 at 06:23 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Ah, the playoffs. It’s good to be home.

Evenin bitches.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/18/14 at 06:24 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

“Injuries and officiating.” Here’s to HockeytownTodd.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/18/14 at 07:17 PM ET

+19

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/18/14 at 06:25 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

LGRW

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/18/14 at 07:23 PM ET

true enough, i’ve got both scotch and russian standard platinum out.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/18/14 at 06:29 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

“The Hasek is full.  The Stress Train is rumbling.

alllllllllllllllllllllllllLLLLLLLLLL A-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAARRRRD!

16 to 12

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/18/14 at 06:29 PM ET

calquake's avatar

It’s a great day for hockey.  Let’s scare some bears.

Posted by calquake on 04/18/14 at 06:29 PM ET

Since71's avatar

VLC/FSD/HD Link

http-user-agent=PS4 libhttp/1.60

Posted by Since71 from Bucharest, Romania on 04/18/14 at 06:31 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

When the Red Wings used to play games at the old Chicago Stadium called “The Pit” back in the 1960’s, coach Sid Abel would start the first 10 minutes of the game with a forward back with the defense to block the inevitable “Slackhawk Charge”. I suppose it could have been an earlier version of “The Left Wing Lock”. Maybe Babcock might try something like it tonight?

Posted by bigfrog on 04/18/14 at 06:32 PM ET

Since71's avatar

Instructions:

First off make sure you have VLC and that it is updated to the most recent version.

Next, go to MEDIA and click on OPEN NETWORK STREAM.

From there, paste the team link you’ve chosen.

Adjust the 3000 in the link to change quality (if you experience lag or stuttering, scale this number down until you reach optimal viewing conditions), ex. 800, 1200, 1600.

Next click the box that says SHOW MORE OPTIONS and under *EDIT OPTIONS* paste the line that is posted in the OP under EDIT OPTIONS.

http-user-agent=PS4 libhttp/1.60

Hit play and you should be good to go

Posted by Since71 from Bucharest, Romania on 04/18/14 at 06:33 PM ET

Alan's avatar

All fuching in, baby. Let’s do this. LGRW!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 04/18/14 at 06:34 PM ET