Abel to Yzerman

Autumn Closed In On Homer And We’re Live Blogging A Whole New Start

Saturday didn't happen.  Clubber Lang was fiction.  That Blues rookie was nothing but a nightmare, but holy hell that kid is good.  Enough about that. Didn't happen.

You know what did happen for real and no BS?

"Nine Tonight" was recorded in 1980 and it's unreal.  Know the best part? I know you do so don't sit there like Potsie Frigging Weber trying to pretend you're oblivious when we all know you've been paying attention all these years.

"Just like southern Michigan summer time."  That line is just so Seger.  And Seger is so Michigan because he's never forgotten his roots.  He belts that line out and the Cobo crowd goes nuts.

But wait...here's the best part.  It wasn't Cobo...it was Boston.  He changed that line and tailored it to us...in Boston.  He didn't go all Dave Matthews on us and say it was just like "eastern Nantucket summer time" to please those Northeastern yuppie tools. No. He brought Michigan to them.

It's why I can't get away from Seger.  The ultimate transplant who can't leave MI behind, like more than a few of us.

I have nothing to say about the Wings that I haven't already said today.  Husk and Gus in.  Fredo and William Tell out.  Quite The ClusterFuch is in, of course.

It's a Live Blog, bitches.  As it should be.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›      Next »

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Hey Cal. Opening night was the better half’s birthday, so guess what took priority?

I was around muckraking a bit during the lockout. Did some lobbying against CI and GCL to keep some $$ out of lil gary’s pants. Judging from the lack of feeds posted, nobody heeded my recommendation.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 01/22/13 at 08:29 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Happy wife, happy life.

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 08:30 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I fixed me some dinner, and noticed the cheese powder in the Kraft Mac and Cheese packet is no longer neon orange.
What’s up with that?
Posted by dougie on 01/22/13 at 08:27 PM ET

It’s made in China now. They add melamine to it over there and it tones down the color.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 01/22/13 at 08:31 PM ET

monkey's avatar

What *#$%@& happened to creating *#$%@& havoc in front of the *#$%@& net on the *#$%@& power play?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/22/13 at 08:31 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

With my luck ATF gets me on an interstate rap.

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 08:27 PM ET

Can’t have that.

Put the lotion in the basket.

Posted by monkey from All hands, abandon ship. This is not a drill. on 01/22/13 at 08:28 PM ET

Shit, it’s Monkey. Hide the cattle

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/22/13 at 08:31 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by monkey from All hands, abandon ship. This is not a drill. on 01/22/13 at 08:31 PM ET

Two words for you, Ho mer.

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 08:32 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Did someone say cattle?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/22/13 at 08:32 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Happy wife, happy life.
Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 08:30 PM ET

Dog damn right. She’s great. How’s your wife and her brother doing?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 01/22/13 at 08:33 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Did someone say cattle?

Posted by monkey from All hands, abandon ship. This is not a drill. on 01/22/13 at 08:32 PM ET

Do you need to be prodded?

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 08:33 PM ET

Bent's avatar

He retired.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 01/22/13 at 08:34 PM ET

calquake's avatar

How’s your wife and her brother doing?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 01/22/13 at 08:33 PM ET

He gone, me happy, she still rule.

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 08:34 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Patience, hoppergrass. I heard that Franzen is gonna have that covered, any day now.

Posted by dougie on 01/22/13 at 08:35 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Do I ever.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/22/13 at 08:35 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Watching the wings special teams is starting to feel like old testament suffering. It’s somewhere between exodus and job.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/22/13 at 08:36 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I’ll go ahead and hold my breath while I wait.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/22/13 at 08:36 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Any computer geeks out there know a cure for a three year old laptop that runs too hot? I’m thinking of taking it apart, blowing the dust out, replacing the thermal paste and hoping for the best.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 01/22/13 at 08:37 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I’ll go ahead and hold my breath while I wait.

Posted by monkey from All hands, abandon ship. This is not a drill. on 01/22/13 at 08:36 PM ET

My batteries are dead in the portable.  Sorry.

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 08:38 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Yeah, have it spend a night with my 1st wife.

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 08:39 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 01/22/13 at 08:37 PM ET

You’re on the right track; fans/heatsinks first, for sure,  though I’d probably avoid replacing the thermal paste unless you’re really sure that could be an issue. 3 years is generally not long enough for that stuff to deteriorate, unless it was done poorly at the factory (which is always possible).

What make/model is it? Some just run hot, especially if you push them hard consistently.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/22/13 at 08:39 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Captain- clean the heat sink and fan.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/22/13 at 08:40 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Have you checked the thermostat for proper operation?? Sorry, I’m a car guy.

Posted by dougie on 01/22/13 at 08:41 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Captain, break down and order a New Laptop!  Everyone I know that has a Mac swears (good) by it!
Laptops are made not to last very long, especially with repeated use. smile

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 01/22/13 at 08:41 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Have you checked the thermostat for proper operation?? Sorry, I’m a car guy.

Posted by dougie on 01/22/13 at 08:41 PM ET

Don’t forget to flush the blinker fluid while you’re at it.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/22/13 at 08:42 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Murph should listen to Pasha.. Go to Dr. Ramanhi.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/22/13 at 08:42 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Murph still looks like HamBurgler with those glasses.

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 08:42 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

So, tonight’s first period looked like a hybrid of The Night That Shall Not Be Spoken Of (Sat, Jan 19,2013) and last night.

Is this the team we got?

The PP is horrendous.

Quincey scored on us.

I miss Karen Newman’s lungs.

Stop me if you know all this already ...

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/22/13 at 08:43 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Murph still looks like HamBurgler with those glasses.

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 08:42 PM ET

Sounds like him too.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/22/13 at 08:43 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Hamburgler, hahahahahahahaah good one!

Lets Go Red WINGS!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 01/22/13 at 08:43 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Don’t forget to flush the blinker fluid while you’re at it.

LOL

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 01/22/13 at 08:43 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from the darkest recesses on 01/22/13 at 08:39 PM ET

HP 13” centrino 8gb ram with an nVidia card. The problem started about a month ago and is getting more frequent. I’m self employed and while I have my data backed up, I’ve never had backup equipment. I ordered a refurb lenovo to replace the HP. Once it arrives I’ll tear into the HP and hopefully make it stable again and keep it as a back up. “My computer broke” doesn’t really fly as an excuse with Courts or opposing counsel.

I read on tom’s hardware that thermal paste can go bad in 2-3 years.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 01/22/13 at 08:45 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Is it calamari or pork bung?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 01/22/13 at 08:46 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Now that’s a small octopus.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 01/22/13 at 08:46 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Just use an Etch-a-Sketch, they’ll never know the difference.

Posted by calquake on 01/22/13 at 08:47 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Stop me if you know all this already ...

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/22/13 at 08:43 PM ET

That about sums it up

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/22/13 at 08:47 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Have you checked the thermostat for proper operation?? Sorry, I’m a car guy.
Posted by dougie on 01/22/13 at 08:41 PM ET
Don’t forget to flush the blinker fluid while you’re at it.
Posted by RedMenace from the darkest recesses on 01/22/13 at 08:42 PM ET

Blinker fluid, got it. That’s behind the egr converter, right?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 01/22/13 at 08:48 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 01/22/13 at 08:45 PM ET

You say “nVidia card,” but is it a discreet card or a chipset-based, shared memory type deal?

If you’ve never cleaned it out, I’d bet there’s a decent amount of dust, pubic hair, or other unmentionable substances making life hard for the fan(s)/heatsink(s).

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/22/13 at 08:48 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Howard, stay in the NET

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 01/22/13 at 08:48 PM ET

Bent's avatar

I’ll also go for the heatsync clean out, avoid the thermal paste until you have tried everything else.  My old laptop used to need cleaning out every few months.  Also, make sure the fan is moving air good.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 01/22/13 at 08:48 PM ET

dougie's avatar

That’s behind the egr converter, right?

Yes, next to the gizwheel on many models.

Posted by dougie on 01/22/13 at 08:50 PM ET