Abel to Yzerman

As The Trade Deadline Approaches

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

Forward Gustav Nyquist is one of those potential UFAs whose name is in many rumors.

“I’d be lying if I said you didn’t hear anything,” Nyquist said after Monday’s practice at Bridgestone Arena. “You see and hear the rumors, whatever they are. I’m not too much on social media, but you hear about them.”

Nyquist joins goaltender Jimmy Howard, forwards Thomas Vanek and Martin Frk, and defensemen Niklas Kronwall, Nick Jensen and Luke Witkowski as potential free agents who could be moved.

Nyquist’s future with the Wings is unclear. General manager Ken Holland has said he’s making and receiving phone calls, and will continue to leading to the Feb. 25 deadline.

Holland also said he’d be open to re-signing some of his potential free agents, which likely includes Nyquist, 29, who is nearing a career-best season with 33 assists and 47 points (along with 14 goals).

“We have a couple of more weeks left,” said Nyquist, almost reassuring himself all the talk will soon be over. “I try not to think about any of it. But I like said, I’d be lying if I said you don’t hear anything about it.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Oress,

Coach Jeff Blashill said defenseman Trevor Daley (foot) is expected to be available against the Predators. If so, it might cost rookie Dennis Cholowski a spot in the lineup, as he had a rough outing at Chicago. Forward Tyler Bertuzzi (head/neck) practiced for the first time since getting hurt Jan. 22 at Edmonton, but he isn’t expected back before the weekend.

more on the Wings…

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/11/19 at 08:29 PM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

Duhatschek speculates that a Nyquist to Dallas for Roope Hintz might be a good exchange for both parties.  Me personally, I’d dig a big Finn who can skate and score.

Posted by duhduhduh on 02/11/19 at 09:43 PM ET

I’d dig a big Finn who can skate and score.

Posted by duhduhduh on 02/11/19 at 08:43 PM ET

I like Patrik Laine too.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 02/12/19 at 01:05 AM ET

d ca's avatar

I’d dig a big Finn who can skate and score.
Posted by duhduhduh on 02/11/19 at 08:43 PM ET
I like Patrik Laine too.
Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 02/12/19 at 12:05 AM ET

Laine hasn’t scored a goal since Jan 13th. He’s on my fantasy team. I’d like a Finn that can score too. He’s struggled all year and he’s in a contract year. Unlike Nyquist who only shows up for contract years.

Nyquist needs to get moved for an extra 2nd round pick (realist going rate unless Ottawa re-ups their two than think bigger return). That way Holland can package the 3 x 2nd round picks this June and move up—need to start picking up quality not just quantity in the draft.

Please do not pull a Holland and sign Nyquist for a 5 year contract.

Posted by d ca on 02/12/19 at 02:07 AM ET

Yeah, I’d definitely say no to a trade for Patrik Laine.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 02/12/19 at 09:52 AM ET

Yeah, I’d definitely say no to a trade for Patrik Laine.

It really doesn’t matter as Winnipeg isn’t going to move him especially that now they may be able to save some money re-signing him.

But I wouldn’t hesitate to listen if he became available in a trade. Of course, it would depend on the asking price. He’s young and still learning the game but when he is on he is one of the best pure goal scorers in the NHl. He’s having a “down” season and might still get to 40 goals. Think about Ovehkin’s early career. He was horrible defensively. Are you telling me you wouldn’t want to add that kind of talent?

Posted by evileye on 02/12/19 at 11:32 AM ET